As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    There should be a UI for elector count favor and there should be a phantom trader such that you've always get max value out of your exports.

As it stands the idea that i have to enact a trade deal with someone not the empire in order to get income from extracting the resources kinda goes against type.

wbBv3fj.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    There should be a UI for elector count favor and there should be a phantom trader such that you've always get max value out of your exports.

As it stands the idea that i have to enact a trade deal with someone not the empire in order to get income from extracting the resources kinda goes against type.

I think the gold you get from the building represents local trade.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    You have raw income and also trade income. Trade buildings have regular income so that they make sense to build even if you dont have trade partners yet.

Trade income = tariff income plus export income. Export income = total quantity of goods exported x good value and the total quantity of goods is minimum(total production, import partner size).

If you play the vortex map then in order to get money from the trade resources produced you have to make a trade deal with a local faction.

This goes against the spirit of the campaign because youre supposed to be colonials reaping the resources and exporting them back to your home region. It then makes your optimal production very unthematic because it's hard to generate trade deals when everyone hates you because of all of the everything. Which means youre better off making tailor buildings everywhere.

Its not like... say Bretonia. Which has very productive farms but if you need to slam a bunch of peasant armies together (which you can easily do because you dont pay extra upkeep for more armies) you can industrialize to reduce the strain on farming and generate spare peasants. Which is exceedingly french and so exdeedingly on point.

wbBv3fj.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The peasant cap is actually tied to the number of settlements you own, now. You can recruit as many peasant units as you want now, they just diminish the gold you get from farms among other minor effects. I didn't try it in my campaign but I strongly suspect that you could convert all your income over to industry and go way WAY over the peasant cap with little ill effect.

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-patch-1-3-0/
    New Legendary Characters

Guo Jia, Huang Gai, Jia Xu, Pang Tong are now legendary characters
    They will appear with unique artwork in campaign and battles
    They are also now accessible in custom and multiplayer battles
    Guo Jia and Jia Xu now have unique recruitment events with unique trigger events
    Guo Jia has a chance to join the player if they currently employ Xun Yu
    Jia Xu has a chance to join the player’s faction if it is considerably more prestigious than his current faction

---

Xun Yu is sick of being beaten up by Zheng Jiang and has joined Han Fu’s faction
    Xun Yu has gained a fondness for Cao Cao’s faction, making him more likely to appear in his recruitment pool
    Xun Yu now starts with Guo Jia as an acquaintance
    Added recruitment event for Yue Jin when playing as Cao Cao

Why did they go do this when I'm already in the middle of a Cao Cao run.

I'm glad they're adding more legendaries though, and through patches too!

Cao Ren still deserves to be one, and I'd like to see Wen Chou, Yan Liang, Cheng Pu, Pang De and Lu Su get theirs too.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    That_Guy wrote: »
    The peasant cap is actually tied to the number of settlements you own, now. You can recruit as many peasant units as you want now, they just diminish the gold you get from farms among other minor effects. I didn't try it in my campaign but I strongly suspect that you could convert all your income over to industry and go way WAY over the peasant cap with little ill effect.

Yes. When you want to exploit your peasants for the armies you industrialize.

One of the proximate causes of the french revolution was early industrialization obviating farmers, pushing them to the cities where they were unemployed. Napoleon controlled this problem by bringing them into a citizen military

wbBv3fj.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    You have raw income and also trade income. Trade buildings have regular income so that they make sense to build even if you dont have trade partners yet.

Trade income = tariff income plus export income. Export income = total quantity of goods exported x good value and the total quantity of goods is minimum(total production, import partner size).

If you play the vortex map then in order to get money from the trade resources produced you have to make a trade deal with a local faction.

This goes against the spirit of the campaign because youre supposed to be colonials reaping the resources and exporting them back to your home region. It then makes your optimal production very unthematic because it's hard to generate trade deals when everyone hates you because of all of the everything. Which means youre better off making tailor buildings everywhere.

Its not like... say Bretonia. Which has very productive farms but if you need to slam a bunch of peasant armies together (which you can easily do because you dont pay extra upkeep for more armies) you can industrialize to reduce the strain on farming and generate spare peasants. Which is exceedingly french and so exdeedingly on point.

Thematically you are absolutely right, from a gameplay as is point though maybe just send a hero up to the high elves or tomb kings? They usually don’t care too much about me exterminating the lizardmen.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Final fight for Wulfric was rough. Most of my huntsmen ran out of ammo and all my melee troops were basically obliterated (lost 2 rank 9 halbrediers and 2 rank 9 shielded spears).

I had all the hunters in the battle, and they all did really well except the paladin. He did tank a lot of melee troops & crocs, so I suppose he did what he was supposed to.

Kruite wrote: »
    Final fight for Wulfric was rough. Most of my huntsmen ran out of ammo and all my melee troops were basically obliterated (lost 2 rank 9 halbrediers and 2 rank 9 shielded spears).

I had all the hunters in the battle, and they all did really well except the paladin. He did tank a lot of melee troops & crocs, so I suppose he did what he was supposed to.

My final battle was bugged and the reinforcements never showed up. I had to fight all 4 armies all by myself. The battle ended with most of my army being wiped out. I walked away with a couple of tattered units of huntsmen, a Steam Tank, 1 unit of 3 demigryphs, and the remains of a couple of greatswords. Marcus and his Paladin buddy were very nearly dead. The rest of my army was totally wiped out. I'm pretty sure my campaign bugged out in general because I didn't get the campaign victory screen after winning. One of the early missions (to raise the threat level) never progressed and it looks like I missed out on a bit of the campaign.

Thematically you are absolutely right, from a gameplay as is point though maybe just send a hero up to the high elves or tomb kings? They usually don’t care too much about me exterminating the lizardmen.
    In my game the high elves all hated me because teclis made an alliance with Gor-Rok and war dec’d me

Edit: my reinforcements never arrived either. But my army slaughtered them since i had 8 units of huntsmen

wbBv3fj.png

In my game the high elves all hated me because teclis made an alliance with Gor-Rok and war dec’d me

Edit: my reinforcements never arrived either. But my army slaughtered them since i had 8 units of huntsmen

Oh weird, I just straight up conquered teclis in my game because he was sitting on a province capital I needed, and they didn’t seem to care very much. Maybe he had already pissed off Tyrion somehow.

My final battle was bugged and the reinforcements never showed up. I had to fight all 4 armies all by myself. The battle ended with most of my army being wiped out. I walked away with a couple of tattered units of huntsmen, a Steam Tank, 1 unit of 3 demigryphs, and the remains of a couple of greatswords. Marcus and his Paladin buddy were very nearly dead. The rest of my army was totally wiped out. I'm pretty sure my campaign bugged out in general because I didn't get the campaign victory screen after winning. One of the early missions (to raise the threat level) never progressed and it looks like I missed out on a bit of the campaign.

ooof, sorry to hear that.

the story missions for the hunters are all very interesting, but I think they need to replace the wall of text with scenario battles.
    For example, the Paladin is the bastard son and heir of a dukedom in brettonia. His father sends a battalion over just to assassinate him. Wulfrik et al stage an ambush for them and you are given a choice to release the captives or allow the paladin to execute them all. It would have been much more fun to see that ambush played out with a set army rather than see it as a pop up after the mission was completed

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    CA dropped a hint that the Christmas lord pack would be a fan favourite.

That’s amusing because fans all have their favourites. Popular theory is Thanquol vs Malus Darkblade, which couldn’t excite me less.

Well Thanquol could be fun.

-Loki- on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I've been kind of assuming Thanquol would be the DLC lord (as opposed to the FLC lord) since the Hunter and the Beast dropped and gave the two lords a non-vortex based goal. They hinted way back when that while Vulscreek was messing with the Vortex, Thanquol was plotting something on his own with Clan Skurvy. Plus the ending of the Skaven vortex campaign doesn't really work with Thanquol, so it would make more sense for him to have his own objectives. As much as I would like Throt to have a campaign based around collecting monster bits, it probably makes more sense for Thanquol.

Personally I hope they stick to the cross-game DLC though. Skaven vs Dwarves would be cool. Plus then they could do Thanquol vs Makaison and really get their money's worth out of adding Gotrek and Felix.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I like the idea of Eltharion and Grom the Paunch, but no Old World update nixes that.

That’s probably going to be the next dlc in March or so (they said basically that they just didn’t have time to do a proper greenskin update so soon after empire).

I am guessing either Thott and Thanquol vs Malus or Thott and Thanquol vs a dwarf, depending on whether they want to do another lord pack after the Greenskin update.

So, after Troy, it's Total Warhammer 3, right? I'm doubtful if it'll land in 2020. We probably have a year and a half before release, though. I can't wait for info outside of "we're working on it" starts trickling out.

edited October 2019
    Yeah I'm not expecting Warhammer 3 until 2021. Maybe longer if they're doing an engine overhaul, they'll need to make sure all of the current stuff works.

-Loki- on
    edited October 2019
    So, after Troy, it's Total Warhammer 3, right? I'm doubtful if it'll land in 2020. We probably have a year and a half before release, though. I can't wait for info outside of "we're working on it" starts trickling out.

I think late 2020/early 2021.

If they do a dwarf lord in this pack that’s a good indication it may be later (as that implies there will be a dark elf and vampire centered pack at some point).

So I would bet if we see Malak Darkblade on christmas expect WH3 in the fall, otherwise its early 2021.

I personally would rather them delay until 2021 if it means WH2 can be really polished up, a fourth lord pack giving all core factions 6 lords, a vortex start for all core WH1 factions, and a mechanics update for wood elves and maybe beastmen would put the game and series in a really solid position moving forward into game 3.

Jealous Deva on
    edited October 2019
    My Ikit campaign has continued to run away like a freight train. After conquering the southern portion of Lustria I decided to see if Tretch wanted to confederate. Despite holding all of central Naggaroth, he joined up with no issues, so now I own most of Lustria and Naggaroth? Suppose I'll consolidate power and territory there, but not sure where I take things next. Guess maybe run the rituals for the Vortex, though I may try something bold and launch an all out assault on Ulthuan. Only hiccup will be recovery. Did already nuke Lothern though, after Tyrion declared war on me. They haven't recolonized it yet, so suppose I could conquer it as a staging point.

Edit: Also just amused confederation has been so easy. Usually it's like pulling teeth, but Skrolk and Tretch just kind of joined me with no real threat near them while they were doing well.

Iblis on
    Recommendations on Empire Vs High Elves? I just wasted 2 stacks fighting 2 stacks where I had a valiant defeat. Trying to kill 6 dragons and 4 phoenix's while a 20 phoenix guard and swordmasters destroy your front line is a god damn nightmare. only good, 100% counter to the infantry are the fire rockets. but I have yet to come across a good way to deal with the monsters other than overwhelming firepower

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Recommendations on Empire Vs High Elves? I just wasted 2 stacks fighting 2 stacks where I had a valiant defeat. Trying to kill 6 dragons and 4 phoenix's while a 20 phoenix guard and swordmasters destroy your front line is a god damn nightmare. only good, 100% counter to the infantry are the fire rockets. but I have yet to come across a good way to deal with the monsters other than overwhelming firepower

Well, I try to avoid multiple stack battles in general because my micro is already bad enough controlling 20 units. Lightning Strike is thus a godsend and you can turn those sorts of battles much easier with it.

In terms of killing monsters, Handgunners, Volley Guns, and Halberd Demigryphs are your units. A single Volley Gun can typically take out a flyer before it even gets to your party. I'd get a pair of them and focus fire the dragons/phoenices. Volley Guns are also great against heavy infantry, so that helps.

Whatever gets through your gunfire gets Demi'd. Bring along a Priest hero to give the melee buffs if you can.

This is why I have a hard time getting into 3 kingdoms now.

Its like “oh this army gets a horse archer as a special unit be careful of that” vs “ well these guys get dragons but your old school miniguns work great against them”

Terrendos wrote: »

Well, I try to avoid multiple stack battles in general because my micro is already bad enough controlling 20 units. Lightning Strike is thus a godsend and you can turn those sorts of battles much easier with it.

In terms of killing monsters, Handgunners, Volley Guns, and Halberd Demigryphs are your units. A single Volley Gun can typically take out a flyer before it even gets to your party. I'd get a pair of them and focus fire the dragons/phoenices. Volley Guns are also great against heavy infantry, so that helps.

Whatever gets through your gunfire gets Demi'd. Bring along a Priest hero to give the melee buffs if you can.

Huntsmen with their anti-large bonus can absolutely melt dragons too. What I liked doing is using a thin line of demigryph knights with halberds to pin down the dragons and eliminate them 1 by one with a mass of huntsmen.

Can anyone tell me why carronades rule while cannons suck? Their official stats are identical...but the carronade just does so much more damage in every game I use them.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    The dwarf siege weapons?

The dwarf siege weapons?

Imperials cannons.

If I had to guess, it's the unit accuracy which is a stat that isn't published in game.

I know that the carronades are deadly anti-siege weapons, especially when you upgrade the accuracy with the undead gunner hero skill.

If I had to guess, it's the unit accuracy which is a stat that isn't published in game.

I know that the carronades are deadly anti-siege weapons, especially when you upgrade the accuracy with the undead gunner hero skill.

Also, VC gets a lot of buffs to accuracy with their lords and heroes. The empire has comparatively few. Another factor could be where the gunner teams aim. I've noticed that some artillery tend to focus on a unit's flank rather than the center of the formation.

edited October 2019

Volleyguns. Volleyguns and more volleyguns. To be honest you really dont need that many volleyguns because theyre super good. A cannon is also super useful because of the knockback and range. Handgunners have more DPS once they get in range but are weaker over all and much weaker vs heavy infantry due to the lack of penetration. Enfilade volleygun fire is... amazingly effective.

Halberd Demogryphs are pretty good. But you want to kill the dragons before they get to you. Halberds in the back to catch what gets through.

Your best anti-flyer is empire captains on Pegasus. They dont have AP but they do have high charge bonus and defense and are small in size (so you can shoot past them)

Something to note on volleyguns is that theyre very susceptable to Raw DPS modifications like missile resistance. (Whereas they ignore shields) because their missile damage hovers right at “enemy heavy infantry HP” losing a bit will change from “one shot to kill” to “two shots to kill” and that can have a huge impact on final damage. (It might also effect penetration).

Edit: if you have a warrior priest lord you might also consider flagellants. Theyre unbreakable so they last a while even with low defense and no armor. And the 50% missile resistance is a godsend for accidental fire/holding your line together

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited October 2019
    Anyone have tips for dealing with the fort run by empire succesionists at the beginning of an empire game? I can roll their settlements up pretty easily other than that, but have trouble assaulting them in the fort and I can’t really afford to let a stack sit there for 10 turns to siege when theres orcs and beastmen and other crap running around trying to sack my cities.

And if I just leave them alone within 10 turns or so they send put a new full stack to sack my cities.

Jealous Deva on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I haven't tried it, but I have an idea based on difficulty on my playthrough last week. Take Reikland and let them sit in the fort. Your Orcy friends to the south tend to attack that fort first, so you might be able to let them soften up the garrison for you.

That fort is tough to hold though. Stupid orcs can somehow field 2 full stacks out of Massif Orcal alone.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The secessionists will happily let Skullsmashers pass through Fort Helmgart and into the Reikland.

To the earlier question about killing monsters, I don't know why nobody talked about the Luminark of Hysh, but by Sigmar the Luminark of Hysh annihilates any and all monsters, whether they're dragons, terrorgeists, mammoths, or even Kholek Suneater. 1 per army, minimum.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The secessionists will happily let Skullsmashers pass through Fort Helmgart and into the Reikland.

To the earlier question about killing monsters, I don't know why nobody talked about the Luminark of Hysh, but by Sigmar the Luminark of Hysh annihilates any and all monsters, whether they're dragons, terrorgeists, mammoths, or even Kholek Suneater. 1 per army, minimum.

They are the very definition of a glass cannon. Great at taking out big targets as long as they aren't being directly threatened. It's got limited range, trouble with moving targets and a massive windup so it's pretty situational. If you can manage to net or otherwise tie down a large target it'll put the hurt on it. By end game I have a few armies with Luminarks but usually use steamtanks in a front line role with hellstorms in the back.

Anyone have tips for dealing with the fort run by empire succesionists at the beginning of an empire game? I can roll their settlements up pretty easily other than that, but have trouble assaulting them in the fort and I can’t really afford to let a stack sit there for 10 turns to siege when theres orcs and beastmen and other crap running around trying to sack my cities.

And if I just leave them alone within 10 turns or so they send put a new full stack to sack my cities.

So...

Letting them sit there is pretty valuable even if the fort is super awesome(there is a mod that stops unway from bypassing which is nice too) because youre not allowed to build siege equipment when attacking them. As a result the garrison there will just build spearmen to attack you. And spearmen are hard countered by archers, swordsmen, free company militia, and flagellants. So build almost any army and crush them for free money and experience then siege when youre ready. If theyre huge you can always get them to sally out and attack you(makes it easier to get to their artillery)

Re: defending

an army always helps but is usually unnecessary. If you sally forth one of your cavalry units you can distract enemies/kill ranged units long enough to hold the fort. If you put your artillery on the third or second rung they can hit enemy formations over the wall without obstruction. If you can get them to open the gate you can fire into a killbox at the gate without letting it have an open side

wbBv3fj.png
    They will build spearmen and archers. But yeah. The Empire definitely Got Money (especially since they can use their imperial stuff to increase relations to help them get trade deals). So get a second army of swordsmen and archers to babysit them.
    Also, Ambush will help you lure them away from the fortress so that you can then lay siege to it.

Its also much more economical to let the AI build it up to 5 before taking it even if its a auper hard fight. You will save yorself ~15k in upgrade costs.

wbBv3fj.png
    https://youtu.be/fHmpb9nKm7g

A bit of a long winded video, but mainly discusses potential units and such for a Dwarf vs Clan Moulder DLC. A lot of interesting dwarven options, like Doomseekers (essentially Slayers with axes on chains) and Thunderbarges (zeppelins) fit with Makaison pretty well. Though things like the Rune Golem sound pretty cool, if a bit of a departure from what Dwarves have currently. I'm always up for more monsters and monstrous infantry though.

edited October 2019
    I’m expecting something like this, tbh...

An odd thing about the empire stuff... Apparently Balthasar gelt (and Volkmar) have the same mechanics? I feel like he should have the influence stuff but not really give so much of a shit about elector count relations and fealty and the like? The campaign itself is pretty fun though, it's just weird running your own little empire insurgency as Balt.

Ideally I would honestly like volkmar to get his own start in Ostmark or somewhere and be mostly focused with crusading against Sylvania and Chaos, maybe even with Huntsmarshal-like mechanics instead of the elector count ones.

Edit: if dwarfs get in though I would like to also see slayer pirates...

Jealous Deva on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So apparently I have forgotten everything I ever knew about how to play Total Warhammer, because my artillery keeps charging. Melee mode is not engaged! I am also not sure what I am doing wrong as Ikkit, because I am basically upgrading to Stormvermin and adding a bunch of artillery, but they apparently can't get the job done.

This discussion has been closed.