As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] PATCH DAY! Mark ya spoilers!

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    and the job system renders it pretty pointless mechanically

I made an alt only because my main was going to move to the Crystal datacenter before Shadowbringers dropped and I wanted to be able to have the option to play with friends on Aether going forward.

That and it had been a long time since I'd played the ARR story and I wanted to see it again.

I only got halfway through Heavensward before kinda losing interest And now that Shadowbringers has launched, I'm not playing the alt at all.

steam_sig.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    and the job system renders it pretty pointless mechanically

Yeah, this is ultimately the reason for me.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I finished ShB and did the 1st boss of the 8-man raid. Fiiiinally all caught up with lore spoilers. Final few fights of ShB (lev80)
    I really appreciated how wild they went near the end. It was great to finally resolve some bs and come out on top. One thing I am unclear about: has it been explained yet how the Final Days was triggered? So Elmet says that the monsters were straight out of the worst nightmares of the Ascians, does that mean that it was some kind of reverse-primal-summoning thing?
    1st 8man boss:
    I think I missed a scene, it went from waiting in queue straight into the boss room?

I also did the lev80 job quests for WAR and SAM: Comparison of them both -- WAR:
    I thought WAR was sufficiently funny, it's basically a sitcom at this point. I'm not even sure why the WoL/D is even there any more, these people are just as silly as Hildebrand
    SAM:
    I loved that the Silver Bazaar is now a gaudy tourist attraction for dweebs. I thought it was going to be just as light-hearted as WAR at first, but they turned it around in the 2nd half with a lovely heartfelt moment. The Fake Samurai coming back as a changed man left the door open for more job quests,
    taking it back to WAR:
    a hook for further job quests just isn't really possible for WAR. They wrote themselves into corners many times before, at this point they should just ditch the current crew and write a new story in some other place. Let these chucklefucks have their happy ending and move on to some NPCs with more interesting shit going on.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Miqo'te
    Aldo wrote: »
    I finished ShB and did the 1st boss of the 8-man raid. Fiiiinally all caught up with lore spoilers. Final few fights of ShB (lev80)
    I really appreciated how wild they went near the end. It was great to finally resolve some bs and come out on top. One thing I am unclear about: has it been explained yet how the Final Days was triggered? So Elmet says that the monsters were straight out of the worst nightmares of the Ascians, does that mean that it was some kind of reverse-primal-summoning thing?
    1st 8man boss:
    I think I missed a scene, it went from waiting in queue straight into the boss room?

I also did the lev80 job quests for WAR and SAM: Comparison of them both -- WAR:
    I thought WAR was sufficiently funny, it's basically a sitcom at this point. I'm not even sure why the WoL/D is even there any more, these people are just as silly as Hildebrand
    SAM:
    I loved that the Silver Bazaar is now a gaudy tourist attraction for dweebs. I thought it was going to be just as light-hearted as WAR at first, but they turned it around in the 2nd half with a lovely heartfelt moment. The Fake Samurai coming back as a changed man left the door open for more job quests,
    taking it back to WAR:
    a hook for further job quests just isn't really possible for WAR. They wrote themselves into corners many times before, at this point they should just ditch the current crew and write a new story in some other place. Let these chucklefucks have their happy ending and move on to some NPCs with more interesting shit going on.

re: first two spoilers
    I think everything in the finale with the final days was new lore, how it all happened is still a big question mark they'll undoubtedly be using as a plot point in the future.

you probably didn't miss anything going into Eden 1, you teleport from the camp directly into the boss room, there's no scene of navigating the internals of Eden or anything.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

It's ambiguous, in a way that sort of seems like it's something they'll explore later.
    The talk of a strange sound rising from the depths of the earth implies there was some sort of figure that initiated the process. Once things got going though, one of the problems the Ascian society had was that their emotions running wild could actually summon monsters. This is one of the reasons the society is so measured and reserved, because not fully controlling your powers can lead to unexpected results - there's an NPC who's responsible for griffins who talks about how he was surprised by a bird when he was summoning and that's why they exist.

liEt3nH.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

It's ambiguous, in a way that sort of seems like it's something they'll explore later.
    The talk of a strange sound rising from the depths of the earth implies there was some sort of figure that initiated the process. Once things got going though, one of the problems the Ascian society had was that their emotions running wild could actually summon monsters. This is one of the reasons the society is so measured and reserved, because not fully controlling your powers can lead to unexpected results - there's an NPC who's responsible for griffins who talks about how he was surprised by a bird when he was summoning and that's why they exist.

deep shb final area spoilers including side quests
    in side quests there's talk about how amaurot is somewhere only the elite get to move to, and you can witness a debate (because this city is one where people constantly have philosophical debates for funsies, presumably because no one living there has any actual problems) where two amaurotines argue whether or not to help another city that's already dealing with the apocalypse across the sea, a subject they approach purely in terms of hypotheticals, as shitty pseudo-intellectuals tend to

between that, and knowing amaurot's namesake, my speculation is that amaurot was a false paradise, and the "noise" was plain old social unrest among the less privileged, exacerbated by basically everyone having some level of psychic powers

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

in side quests there's talk about how amaurot is somewhere only the elite get to move to, and you can witness a debate (because this city is one where people constantly have philosophical debates for funsies, presumably because no one living there has any actual problems) where two amaurotines argue whether or not to help another city that's already dealing with the apocalypse across the sea, a subject they approach purely in terms of hypotheticals, as shitty pseudo-intellectuals tend to

between that, and knowing amaurot's namesake, my speculation is that amaurot was a false paradise, and the "noise" was plain old social unrest among the less privileged, exacerbated by basically everyone having some level of psychic powers

Final area of ShB spoilers:
    Alternatively, it was Lavos.

One thing to note is that normally creation required a specific act of concentration to initiate. One of the consequences of "the noise" is that random thoughts would trigger the process, which helped things spiral out of control.

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Caedwyr wrote: »

One thing to note is that normally creation required a specific act of concentration to initiate. One of the consequences of "the noise" is that random thoughts would trigger the process, which helped things spiral out of control.
    it would be extremely disappointing if the root cause of all the problems in the story was lavos

I imagine it’ll be explained further at some point. You don’t need to summon a god to rewrite the laws of reality because of social unrest. Seems like overkill

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Zay wrote: »

it would be extremely disappointing if the root cause of all the problems in the story was lavos

I imagine it’ll be explained further at some point. You don’t need to summon a god to rewrite the laws of reality because of social unrest. Seems like overkill
    i think the important factor was that whatever the “sound” was, it shut off their ability to stop creating things. So every stray thought and fear was made manifest. Which only became worse as the deaths started piling up and fear ran rampant through the populace.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    Zay wrote: »

No, you see, it's genius
    Square was playing us with the long game of a Chrono Trigger/FF14 crossover alliance raid this entire time!

CT themed glams! Gato the mount!

Music plays while mounted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7bV7hxXiPs

Roegadyn
    Maybe not the source of everything, but
    There are definitely some comparisons between Amaurot, and the Kingdom of Zeal. A series of CT raids stemming from Lavos being one of the nightmare creations would be amazing.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Finished off Eden and Alphascape today, that's it, that's all raids, dungeons, and trials completed. Only stuff that's left for me in the game is either locked behind leveling another job, or is weird legacy content that I'm not sure is worth my time to dig into, like Palace of the Dead and Eureka. Or EX/Savage versions of stuff I guess, but I have basically zero desire to ever engage with any of that.

New goal is Black Mage to 80 and White Mage to 50 by November. Currently Black Mage is 61, and Conjurer is 15, so that's probably doable without too much fuss.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Miqo'te
    I like the story in PotD, HoH is kind of a nothing story though unless there's more story gated behind the only-premades floors. There's definitely some sort of story in Eureka but I haven't done it and probably won't anytime soon unless they make it more soloable.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Yeah PotD is worth going through at least once I'd say.

And if you enjoy it it's a pretty good source of xp, especially for DPS jobs.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    HoH story is pretty bad. There isn't any more locked behind higher floors.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    <3 Rival Wings. 5 mogtomes for 10 min of play and it was popping like crazy tonight.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Roegadyn
    potd/hoh are basically must-dos if you're gonna level other jobs, and you can even do potd at level 1

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    potd/hoh are basically must-dos if you're gonna level other jobs, and you can even do potd at level 1

It's absolute madness to do so, just use your class quests and hunting log, but you CAN.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Roegadyn
    those are great but it's not *that* crazy of an idea to do potd early

starting it from the bottom can be a great crash course on jobs you're totally new to

I've done it with basically every job that didn't start at level 1, because trying to suss out how a rotation actually works from an already half-filled hot bar can be overwhelming, even with a guide

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I personally prefer getting a friend to help powerlevel the blue mage way (killing mobs that you tag while out of the party) up to level 20, and then rolling dungeons with squadrons. But maybe I'm just tired of palace of the dead. So much so that I've never tried hoh. That's probably why I've run dungeons like Shisui and Bardham's so much more than other leveling dungeons.

Miqo'te
    squadron dungeons make me fall asleep in my chair, even if they're technically faster exp than PotD runs they feel like they each take 10 years because of how boring and repetitive they are.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    I love deep dungeons, personally

even after I'd capped everything for stormblood I did a bunch of hoh runs for funsies

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I did some PotDs while leveling alts, then I got bored of PotD and leveled them via other dungeons.

Roegadyn
    The 60-70 PLD quests do so much work to make up for the crappy 50-60 ones
    'What the hell do you want?'

'Your clothes, your boots, and your chocobo'

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    No posts in a couple days so I'll link some end-of-Shadowbringers-MSQ-spoilers chiptune remixes that I don't think were specifically mentioned yet but they're cool.

They were already uploaded as a three-in-one medley set a couple weeks ago, but that had stuff like speech and effects still on top of it. Mostly I liked the middle one here, but the others are good too.

Lalafell
    They sure picked the right screenshot for NG+, didn’t they?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Roegadyn
    All Saints' Wake details are up. The big reward is a new variation on the ahriman mount.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Hyur
    Bit of a disappointment - this is one of the events that often gives glamours. Though I suppose they've about run through most of the classic monsters.

Lalafell
    Broom still best Halloween mount.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    That mount is rad

X22wmuF.jpg
    Miqo'te
    That's rad

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    So you have to level Bard to get instruments? When exactly does that unlock? I'm interested, but not 80 levels of archery worth of interested.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    edited October 2019
    Roegadyn
    you just have to get archer to bard at all, so level 30

edit: oh, and once you have, there's an unlock side quest in gridania near the amphitheater

TheySlashThem on
    Be a level 30 Bard and do a quest in Old Gridania

liEt3nH.png
    Hyur
    Ah, cool. I can endure that. I had plans to level all jobs at least to 30 anyway, just so I could have a complete set of stones in my inventory to look at.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I haven't been able to get around to signing in lately. I really need to get on it so I can collect mog tomes. And maybe farm some pvp currency while people are rushing to get their garo stuff before it's gone.

Hyur
    Lars wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get around to signing in lately. I really need to get on it so I can collect mog tomes. And maybe farm some pvp currency while people are rushing to get their garo stuff before it's gone.

Those overlap nicely as frontlines and rival wings give 5 mog tomes per game for 10-20 minutes of play.

This discussion has been closed.