As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/XGJa5fkOWB4

What does it meeeeeaaaaan?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/XGJa5fkOWB4

What does it meeeeeaaaaan?!

Solo Wing Pixie's back! Zero 2: Acoustic Boogaloo.

wVEsyIc.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    There have been 3 DLC already? REAAALLLLLY?

(I just haven't been following this closely.)

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

They're just planes you buy for real money.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

If they don't have the Idolm@sters on them, why bother?

wVEsyIc.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I really liked how the newsfeed pulled from across the whole series, it's interesting hearing someone talk about the events of Ace Combat 4.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

If they don't have the Idolm@sters on them, why bother?

/DrEvil They had planes with frikin' lazer beams on their heads!

https://youtu.be/fSnt2lAoyCY

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Wait ... They gave one of the DLC planes the FAB when the A-10 didn't even have it?
    What the fuck?

Does the A-10 carry fuel air bombs (I guess it would be the CBU-72)? They're sort of uncommon ordnance.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Even though I never played Ace Combat 3, I'm enjoying reading reddit for all the speculation on how AC7 may start laying the ground work for that world in 20 years.

I like the idea that mystery corp has a document outlining the real details of AC5, set to release in the future.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Does the A-10 carry fuel air bombs (I guess it would be the CBU-72)? They're sort of uncommon ordnance.

Nope sadly, just the Anti Ground Missiles, Unguided Bombs and Unguided Rockets. Though the AGMs are pretty damn sweet with their extended range but the capacity is pretty small.

pum5kwhwu07v.png

edited August 2019

Nope sadly, just the Anti Ground Missiles, Unguided Bombs and Unguided Rockets. Though the AGMs are pretty damn sweet with their extended range but the capacity is pretty small.

pum5kwhwu07v.png

I wouldn't assume "in real life", but I'm guessing.

Synthesis on

pum5kwhwu07v.png

I wouldn't assume "in real life", but I'm guessing.

oooh yeah woops sorry, didn't realize it was a real life question.

According to the RL wikipedia, it doesn't appear to mention FAEBs as part of its standard armament. I'd imagine they'd be too heavy for the mounting points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II#Weapons
    Although the A-10 can carry a considerable amount of munitions, its primary built-in weapon is the 30×173 mm GAU-8/A Avenger autocannon. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells. The GAU-8 is a hydraulically driven seven-barrel rotary cannon designed specifically for the anti-tank role with a high rate of fire. The cannon's original design could be switched by the pilot to 2,100 or 4,200 rounds per minute;[72] this was later changed to a fixed rate of 3,900 rounds per minute.[73] The cannon takes about half a second to reach top speed, so 50 rounds are fired during the first second, 65 or 70 rounds per second thereafter. The gun is accurate enough to place 80 percent of its shots within a 40-foot (12.4 m) diameter circle from 4,000 feet (1,220 m) while in flight.[74] The GAU-8 is optimized for a slant range of 4,000 feet (1,220 m) with the A-10 in a 30-degree dive.[75]

The fuselage of the aircraft is built around the cannon. The GAU-8/A is mounted slightly to the port side; the barrel in the firing location is on the starboard side at the 9 o'clock position so it is aligned with the aircraft's centerline. The gun's 5-foot, 11.5-inch (1.816 m) ammunition drum can hold up to 1,350 rounds of 30 mm ammunition,[61] but generally holds 1,174 rounds.[75] To protect the GAU-8/A rounds from enemy fire, armor plates of differing thicknesses between the aircraft skin and the drum are designed to detonate incoming shells.[61][66]

The AGM-65 Maverick air-to-surface missile is a commonly used munition for the A-10, targeted via electro-optical (TV-guided) or infrared. The Maverick allows target engagement at much greater ranges than the cannon, and thus less risk from anti-aircraft systems. During Desert Storm, in the absence of dedicated forward-looking infrared (FLIR) cameras for night vision, the Maverick's infrared camera was used for night missions as a "poor man's FLIR".[76] Other weapons include cluster bombs and Hydra rocket pods.[77] The A-10 is equipped to carry GPS and laser-guided bombs, such as the GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb, Paveway series bombs, JDAM, WCMD and glide bomb AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon.[78] A-10s usually fly with an ALQ-131 ECM pod under one wing and two AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles under the other wing for self-defense

Oh hey, after a bunch of searching I stumbled onto exactly the sort of chart we'd want:
    https://globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/carry.htm

Given the potential load of an A-10 otherwise, it doesn't seem like it's strictly a weight issue because CBU-55/72s were lighter than other ordinance it carries. Regardless, looks like a solid nope. Alas.

At least as far as the video games go, the FAB has been "The A-10's thing" for a few titles, so it feels sad / weird to break that now.

Oh hey, after a bunch of searching I stumbled onto exactly the sort of chart we'd want:
    https://globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/carry.htm

Given the potential load of an A-10 otherwise, it doesn't seem like it's strictly a weight issue because CBU-55/72s were lighter than other ordinance it carries. Regardless, looks like a solid nope. Alas.

At least as far as the video games go, the FAB has been "The A-10's thing" for a few titles, so it feels sad / weird to break that now.

Huh! Learn something new everyday. And thanks for the link, that looks like a fun rabbit hole to go down through.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    This is the last time I give Namco money for a "Season Pass."

Tekken 7 was a rip off with their season pass.
    Ace Combat 7 season pass was a rip off in that we've only gotten planes so far and no story content missions.

Once Soul Calibur came out, I knew not to give them money for that Season Pass either. I don't think they have a good system when it comes to releasing content in a timely fashion. I'll be happy to check this out when it drops but they won't get season pass money from me ever again.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    Ironically, the season pass for SoulCalibur VI was probably one of the less disappointing parts of it (as opposed to obviously limited content that was heavily recycled from 4 and 5. It helped make up for how obviously short they were on material.

But I also got it at a substantial discount.

Mmmm, yeah that's the good stuff.

Needs more Connery

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited September 2019
    God, I hope they don't go full Tom Clancy.

Still, it looks good. This'll be Project Aces for go at a DLC Singleplayer experience, no?

On a side note, I tried a few more times to get he MiG-31 ace skin. God, I hate shooting down those fucking missiles after Comet. Hate it so much.

Synthesis on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Bee tea double-you...

If anybody has been on the fence on picking up the game and was thinking "Nah, $60 just too much for me." Green Man Gaming currently has AC7 at a 46% discount.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Man, I keep on forgetting to play this. Then a video is posted and I want to go play.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Man, I keep on forgetting to play this. Then a video is posted and I want to go play.

It's real good!

Stabbity_Style.png
    That trailer sure does look like Ace Combat. I might even be silly enough to give it a go despite all the grievances I've had with AC7 in general. Someone working there really knows how to cut a trailer.

Just a heads up, if you end up buying the DLC planes, the ADF-11 from the earlier trailer breaks the game in insane ways. Its machine gun is replaced with the PLS laser weapon, so you can 2-3 shot regular planes/targets with just your gun rounds, and if you equip the drones, they pretty much will guarantee-kill any target that isn't protected by plot/game mechanics, particularly if you sick both drones at once on a single target. I pretty much didn't switch off of it except for maybe 1 or 2 missions (Looking at you mountain radar and fleet destruction missions) and it was pretty much pure cakewalk.

It's real good!

Oh I know, just got annoyed with a really early level where I had to fly around bubbles to get to the tower. Got bored an impatient 80% of the way through and thought that I could thread the needle at one point (there was no opening) and got "spotted". Had to do the same thing over again and then failed a third time flying way too close to the radar zones. So went a fourth and got through the entire thing only to replay the next part three times since I thought you could do it with saving the target. On the fourth time I realized it was scripted and just went for points. But that day broke me and I haven't gone back to play again even though I love the series.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Oh yeah and it's I believe the most maneuverable/highest top speed plane too on top of that so yeah. Definitely a fun way to feel like even more of a plane god up there.

edited October 2019
    I think this is the first Ace Combat game I've actually disliked the more I've played it. Assault Horizon was always unenjoyable, but AC7's actual post-game--trying to get medals, ace skins, etc.--is just fucking awful. You realize how Namco has decided to hang onto stupid shit from the PS2 years that really should've been done away with because why would they bother improving things? Like being able to get a Mission Failure if you get a Mission Accomplish too close to the edge of a map. Or being incredibly arbitrary about the Ace spawning criteria--half of the Aces may or may not have point requirements, who knows?

After wasting three hours trying to kill Mantis--then killing Mantis multiple times, but having the mission shit out on my for one reason or another--I'm done. It effectively killed my interest in the DLC--I'd rather use that hard drive space for a game that isn't a miserable experience. I suppose it's my fault for "sticking with it" after the first two hours, hating every minute of it, and then deciding "Well, I should keep trying anyway." Maybe if it wasn't the third shitty ace hunt I had to already deal with...

Synthesis on
    I forgive AH for two reasons. One, I still find the characters likable despite the real world setting, and the missions are mostly fun. Two, I think it has one of the consistently best soundtracks in the series. I like it more than 5.

Give me White Devil and Shall Defend, and I'll take that over Razgriz.

edited October 2019
    So I'm stuck on a level. First time I've ever sort of given up on an Ace Combat game. It is the level where you are told to just fly around and be target practice. There are three areas where you are supposed to light up the SAM and AA. Three bombers that take off from a runway that you can take out (I always take the all out before they take off). Then the drones come in and something eventually takes me out.

Is there a way to grind more money to buy a different plane? Extra weapons? Something? I'm currently trying it with the F-14 with ground attack alt weapons. Is that the wrong plane to take? I also tried an A-10, but they suck against air targets.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    So I'm stuck on a level. First time I've ever sort of given up on an Ace Combat game. It is the level where you are told to just fly around and be target practice. There are three areas where you are supposed to light up the SAM and AA. Three bombers that take off from a runway that you can take out (I always take the all out before they take off). Then the drones come in and something eventually takes me out.

Is there a way to grind more money to buy a different plane? Extra weapons? Something? I'm currently trying it with the F-14 with ground attack alt weapons. Is that the wrong plane to take? I also tried an A-10, but they suck against air targets.

Yeah you can replay old missions under freeplay mode to earn MRP. But I have no idea what mission you're talking about. That could be ANY mission your describing.

The level where you're told to fly around and be target practice it right after you earn the 3 strikes nickname and are introduced to Count and the gang. There are no AA sites on that mission or bombers that take off from the runway.

So if you're talking about the level that has 3 different bases and is called rocka rojo or something like that, you're best bet is to get a Gripen and use the LACM to shoot targets at a distance. The A-10 is actually not that bad of a choice for your starter planes because then you can take out multiple ground targets with the LAGM. But if that's still giving you a hard time then you're going to want to pick a plane with high mobility in order to out maneuver or keep up with the enemy. The F-14 is the worst choice for that and will definitely get you killed. Even the starter F-16 with ground bombs would be a better choice than the F-14.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    Hahaha great, so there are a few missions like this. It is the one after the cutscene introducing Mihaly's daughters and the Princess with the dog. If that helps any...

Thanks for the info, I'll try it again with the A-10 instead of the F-14 or the F-16 at least. I don't have the Mirage so don't have the Gripen yet.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited October 2019

To avoid getting shot down with heavy air defenses, either hit the triple A and missiles hard, or pick them off carefully, don't linger if you're getting lit up. Also, universal in all AC games, flying close to the deck.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Oddly this is the first AC that I'm having difficulty with. Not sure if it is the old guy problems or just that the AI is smarter now. Most of my damage comes from the enemy aircraft than SAM or AA.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited October 2019
    In most missions in AC7, you have to focus on primary targets and not loiter, especially if you're having trouble. This precisely because of the large number of drones. Try loops, or boosting away from clusters of drones and then coming back head on, rather than getting sucked into turning knife fights, especially with the starter planes.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Ahhh. That's my problem then. In the previous ones I could blow everything away myself, or at least most of it. Thanks for the hints, I'll make sure to focus on the objectives instead of the fluff.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited October 2019
    You can stay and clear everything out in most missions, but not all, those featuring the arsenal bird and other bosses you will be fighting infinite drones. If you're having trouble, it pays to just go after red targets, and play millennium falcon with the rest. Killing more targets than reds are just for cash and ranking.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Having never played AH, this is probably the best song I've heard off the OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ89B2kxdyw

And yeah, it sounds really striking. I don't recall 7's being that memorable aside from one or two tracks.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is the DLC out? Looks like it came out 3 weeks ago but I don't see any reviews?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45