As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    see317 wrote: »
    I remember there was a family of great horned owls living at my previous job.
    You saying "at my previous job" immediately made me imagine them living in the office. Like you come into the printer room and they're hanging out over there, getting their faxes in, all "Morning, see317", and you're like "Morning, Janet, Phil".

Delduwath on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My favorite spoopy meme from the Gangnam Style era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IiP7V_3noY

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Osowiec Fortress, Northeast Poland, August 6, 1915. German artillery is finally in range of the Russian-held fortress and has been unleashing pounding volleys, but this day is the first that shows favorable wind conditions for gas shells, which the German guns begin firing around 4 AM. Russian defenses were manned by 500 soldiers of the 226th Infantry Regiment Zemlyansky, and 400 militia (mostly conscripts.)

Chlorine gas is a nightmare. Grass turns black. Leaves turn yellow. Birds and insects fall out of the air, dying before they touch the ground. Soldiers describe it as making a landscape that looked like hell, and the Russians were not equipped to deal with this deadly weapon. Many had no gas masks at all, and wound water-or-urine-soaked rags around their faces. As more than 7000 German troops close in on the fortress, the highest-ranking survivor of the attacks, Sub-Lieutenant Vladimir Kotlinsky, decides with his men that the only thing left to do is charge.

As the Germans close in, suddenly a surge of howling figures meets them in a counter-charge, and though it is only a hundred men, the German lines shatter and they instantly begin retreating, throwing their weapons down in terror and fleeing so quickly that they run into their own traps and siege trenches, at the sight that greets them; A hundred screaming Russian corpses, their flesh melting from their faces, literally coughing bits of lung and blood out as they charge, a final act of defiance that would forever after be known as the Charge of the Dead Men.

Happy Halloweeeeeen~

i posted this in the history thread but i guess it fits here too

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Osowiec Fortress, Northeast Poland, August 6, 1915. German artillery is finally in range of the Russian-held fortress and has been unleashing pounding volleys, but this day is the first that shows favorable wind conditions for gas shells, which the German guns begin firing around 4 AM. Russian defenses were manned by 500 soldiers of the 226th Infantry Regiment Zemlyansky, and 400 militia (mostly conscripts.)

Chlorine gas is a nightmare. Grass turns black. Leaves turn yellow. Birds and insects fall out of the air, dying before they touch the ground. Soldiers describe it as making a landscape that looked like hell, and the Russians were not equipped to deal with this deadly weapon. Many had no gas masks at all, and wound water-or-urine-soaked rags around their faces. As more than 7000 German troops close in on the fortress, the highest-ranking survivor of the attacks, Sub-Lieutenant Vladimir Kotlinsky, decides with his men that the only thing left to do is charge.

As the Germans close in, suddenly a surge of howling figures meets them in a counter-charge, and though it is only a hundred men, the German lines shatter and they instantly begin retreating, throwing their weapons down in terror and fleeing so quickly that they run into their own traps and siege trenches, at the sight that greets them; A hundred screaming Russian corpses, their flesh melting from their faces, literally coughing bits of lung and blood out as they charge, a final act of defiance that would forever after be known as the Charge of the Dead Men.

Happy Halloweeeeeen~

i posted this in the history thread but i guess it fits here too

This is, while exceedingly grim, one of my favorite war stories because I can just envision line after line of German troops like "oh fuck no I didn't sign up for zombies I'm out of here"

also nothin' gets me in the heartbits like a no hope final charge

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    As far as desperate last stands go, it's a pretty durn goodun.

also Sabaton does a good song about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MRSLSQdelI

My husband has not seen Killer Klowns From Outer Space so we're fixing that currently

This movie is just perfect (minus 80s unfortunateness throughout.)

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Fun fact, this sort of thing has been a notoriously unsolved mystery for a solid century. I have a Reader's Digest book from the early 80s that documented several of these through the 50s-60s; in fact two years ago marked the 50th anniversary of the infamous case of Snippy, a horse mutilated in similar fashion.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Theres a perfectly reasonable explanation:

That cow tripped and all its blood fell out. Happens all the time.

edited October 2019
    Look.

We've all had a wild night out before.

Seriously though, cattle mutilation/other livestock mutilation (allegedly also unexplained or anomalous human mutilation in some cases) is a weeeeeeird thing. MY bet is on some kinda chupacabra, but a big'un, you know? A chupavaca, if you will.

edit: though, it's to be noted that many parts of Oregon, including Harney County according to some quick googling, report especially high instances of UFO sightings, famously Crater Lake is a hotspot for anomalous activity. UFO sightings and unexplained animal mutilation go together like pie and ice cream.

Metzger Meister on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah, I think it's a monster or something. Or aliens that are really particular about what parts of a cow they will eat, I guess?

do you guys think aliens visit like, a library late at night, just to see what's up?

"This, Blambzor, is where Hu-mons store all their accumulated knowledge."
    "Ah, like the Knowing Pits of Monleon!"
    "Similar, but look at this, whole sections dedicated to things that never happened. They call it 'Fiction'."

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It's not really unsolved, though? The "mutilation" is easily explained by natural decomposition plus where carrion feeders naturally attack first (soft tissue). "Missing" blood is the same. Experiments have even been done to validate this explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_mutilation#Natural_causes

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    no I'm pretty sure it's aliens or the Chupacabra

i mean you COULD explain MOST of the cases that way i GUESS.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Whoa. So the chupavaca is smart enough to exsanguinate an entire cow, and then make it look like natural causes?

We might be in real trouble here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I just want to believe that there's a race of aliens out there that just subsists entirely on cow genitals.

jgeis on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I just want to believe that there's a race of aliens out there that just subsists entirely on cow genitals.

How did they ever reach a point where it was economical to come steal our cows' jibblies, then? Or are we thinking this is an Earth-as-rest-stop situation?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Just think, though, if there are a set of aliens that slaughter cows and make nice steaks of the tastiest bits, ranchers would never report those instances to the media because they'd just assume human theft. Dun dun DUNNNN!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Auralynx wrote: »

How did they ever reach a point where it was economical to come steal our cows' jibblies, then? Or are we thinking this is an Earth-as-rest-stop situation?

Most likely some alien parents finally caved to their kids demands, because the even though they've got perfectly good cow genitals at home, they're just not the same as a fast-food stop at Earth.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Fun fact, this sort of thing has been a notoriously unsolved mystery for a solid century. I have a Reader's Digest book from the early 80s that documented several of these through the 50s-60s; in fact two years ago marked the 50th anniversary of the infamous case of Snippy, a horse mutilated in similar fashion.

also, most of the time "surgically removed" just means it was ripped out and "completely exsanguinated" just means a lot of it's blood was gone but still plenty left because scientific and medical reporting has not really improved in a century

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I mean I would assume that ranchers see animals die of natural causes all the time and know what that looks like. If they are saying it's not that, I have trouble being like "No, I, an internet person, think you are wrong"

Oh in that case it must be aliens.

Cambiata wrote: »

Well, that or a chupacabra.

Or some kind of alien-chupacabra hybrid.

I mean who do you think gengineered the chupacabra?

edited October 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »

I mean who do you think gengineered the chupacabra?

the Illuminati or Majestic 12

edit: In an old book of cryptids that I found at the library, one of their Chupacabra theories was that they were alien pets that got out and the aliens just left them.

Depressperado on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Oh, cow horn!

Smurph wrote: »
    I mean I would assume that ranchers see animals die of natural causes all the time and know what that looks like. If they are saying it's not that, I have trouble being like "No, I, an internet person, think you are wrong"

cows don't die a lot, when they do scavengers get to them

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My proton pack now has a Bluetooth connector to interface with my watch so I can control the music without needing to dig my phone out of my pocket.

THE FUTURE!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Also if a cow died near a substantially-sized ant colony I would imagine they could reduce that to leather and bones in less than a day. Ants are incredible at collecting vast amounts of organic matter to turn into nutritional slurry for later.

Insect scavenging would also account for the lack of readable tracks.

PiptheFair wrote: »

COWS DIE ALL THE TIME!

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Ain't no better friends than cows and Death.

Bedlam wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

COWS DIE ALL THE TIME!
    I dunno, your average cow dies once, maybe twice.

Every six minutes someone exsanguinates a cow in their sleep without even realising it.

I think it's more that most of the time when a cow dies, the rancher already knows the cow is sick and will die soon. With the supposed "mutilations", it's cows the owner thought were healthy, so when they suddenly die it's suspicious. (it's still natural causes though. sorry spooky thread I don't buy this 'un)

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    So, I looked up the Cascadia fault.

Am now torn between visiting the Olympic National Park ASAP, and never setting foot west of the Rockies again.

I was trying to convince my husband to watch Candyman but Tony Todd and Candyman in particular are apparently a source of Primal Childhood Scaries so I guess I'ma wait til he goes to sleep. I wonder if it holds up I haven't seen it in probably like 15 years or so

I was trying to convince my husband to watch Candyman but Tony Todd and Candyman in particular are apparently a source of Primal Childhood Scaries so I guess I'ma wait til he goes to sleep. I wonder if it holds up I haven't seen it in probably like 15 years or so

I saw candyman when I was like 7 with a neighborhood friend who was a couple years older

that movie fucked me up

Candyman is still a very good movie