As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Impeachment] of the 45th President of the United States

1929394959698»

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    How has Rudy not gotten disbarred yet

I suspect it's because no one can wrap their head around the fact that he's actually a real lawyer and doesn't just play one on TV.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I had a thought last night ... If everything Donald Trump does is projection.

Does that mean, he is born in Kenya and a secret Muslim?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I had a thought last night ... If everything Donald Trump does is projection.

Does that mean, he is born in Kenya and a secret Muslim?
    checks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPrJxTvgdQ

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    That Zuma clip is ....uncomfortable in light of recent xenophobic events.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    While Trump's poll numbers haven't really dropped they also haven't gone up at all. One of the concerns some people had was that impeachment would be viewed as a partisan hit job and give Trump a bump similar to what happened to Clinton. That hasn't happened and there isn't any evidence that it will in the near future.

Instead support for impeachment is higher than it was for Nixon at this point in the inquiry, it took a few months Nixon's levels to get this high, and is higher than it ever was for Clinton's.

You're never going to see Trump's approval numbers plummet like how Nixon's did due to the right having developed an information ecosystem that their supporters get all their information from. Things like Fox News and Breitbart didn't exist back then, iirc one of the motivating factors for Roger Ailes to create Fox News was to make sure another Republican never got treated like Nixon again.

The numbers are about as good as you could realistically hope for at this stage.

There's a depressing subtext to this.

That Ailes wasn't concerned that another Republican Administration wouldn't be massively criminal, but that it would need to be protected when it was.

And it's not like he wasn't wrong. Iran Contra, Iraq II, the current chucklefuck parade. Has there even been a Republican Presidency sonce Nixon that either wasn’t doing illegal shit beyond the baseline, or at least covering for the one before?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    While Trump's poll numbers haven't really dropped they also haven't gone up at all. One of the concerns some people had was that impeachment would be viewed as a partisan hit job and give Trump a bump similar to what happened to Clinton. That hasn't happened and there isn't any evidence that it will in the near future.

Instead support for impeachment is higher than it was for Nixon at this point in the inquiry, it took a few months Nixon's levels to get this high, and is higher than it ever was for Clinton's.

You're never going to see Trump's approval numbers plummet like how Nixon's did due to the right having developed an information ecosystem that their supporters get all their information from. Things like Fox News and Breitbart didn't exist back then, iirc one of the motivating factors for Roger Ailes to create Fox News was to make sure another Republican never got treated like Nixon again.

The numbers are about as good as you could realistically hope for at this stage.

There's a depressing subtext to this.

That Ailes wasn't concerned that another Republican Administration wouldn't be massively criminal, but that it would need to be protected when it was.

And it's not like he wasn't wrong. Iran Contra, Iraq II, the current chucklefuck parade. Has there even been a Republican Presidency sonce Nixon that either wasn’t doing illegal shit beyond the baseline, or at least covering for the one before?

Nope! This is the sixth straight Republican president who should have been impeached and removed from office, though HW had the good sense to not do his massive abuse of power until he was a lame duck.

For the record:

Trump - like, all of the things
    W - lying the country into a war, torture
    HW - Iran-Contra pardons (also probably Iran-Contra itself)
    Reagan - Iran-Contra
    Ford - Nixon pardon
    Nixon - Watergate

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Iran Contra.....Ya Know, overall, Democratic policies give me less headaches looking at them in hindsight.

So look, to paraphrase that one voter before citizen trump won the election, if he's the GOP president, a certain number of voters are going to follow him off a cliff. In addition to all the others tied to his world view. That's two big blocks that aren't going to budge.

But does their collective position and support actually translate to leverage on senators in the Senate vote?

I mean, its one thing to yell at a female senator at a town hall, its another thing entirely to take your ass out and vote.

Furthermore,
    McConnell could push for a trial before the election
    scenario in spoiler
    Senators that believe impeachment are forced to vote and those deemed RINO's face harsh challenges in the midterms, but Trump might be impeached. Which may or may not galvanize voters, like I said earlier. Actually taking your ass out and vote.

or he could push for one after the election
    scenario in spoiler.
    Senators remain or are deposed based on whatever happens during the 2020 election, and the impeachment votes come in, but Senators who vote yes are secure for a (relatively) long fucking time and get to impeach a sitting president days into his first second term.

Reading all that, I believe McConnel and the GOP would rather risk Trump get impeached before the election rather than risk waiting till 2022 to resolve the fact that enough Senate republicans voted to Impeach Trump.

Then again, it would be an "ethical" way to slip Vice President Pence into the oval office....and smooth over a lot of the GOP base with the message, "We replaced the criminal womanizing racist with a strong Christian leader. Lets take back the house in 2022. Bring back Jesus! God's not dead! #Leviticus"

edit: I just realized I'm analyzing the GOP's choices in terms of holding onto power over the next 4 years, and not the law. Which, realistically, is how at least some of them are thinking at the moment. Now I feel kinda sick.

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.