As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horror Movie Month, Brought to You by SHUDDER®™©

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
It's Halloween month, so let's watch and talk about a bunch of horror flicks.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Where do we start

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I got a scary movie for you. It's called the six o clock news.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    This is the list I compiled from which to pick horrorish movies for October. As always, I'm attempting to do 31 (having kids makes that hard!) and run through a mixture of foreign, domestic, decades, new and repeat viewings. This year, a buddy at work is joining in and we'll swap days picking things.
    Cat People (1942)

A Bucket of Blood (1959)

Eyes Without a Face (1962)

Bird with the Crystal (1970)
    Wicker Man (1975)
    Hausu (1977)
    Shock(1977)
    The Shout (1977)

Time Walker (1982)
    Human Lanterns (1982)
    The Final Terror (1983)
    Scream for Help (1984)
    Fright Night (1985)
    Angel Heart (1987)
    Dead Ringers (1988)
    The Vanishing (1988)
    Pumpkinhead (1989)

The Exorcist 3 (1990)
    Bride of Re-Animator (1991)
    Dead Alive (1993)
    The Dark Half (1993)
    In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
    Carnival of Souls (1998)
    Perfect blue (1997)

Versus (2000)
    Book of Shadows Blair Witch 2 (2000)
    Session 9 (2001)
    Jason X (2001)
    R-point (2004)
    Feast (2005)
    Next Door (2005)
    Strange Circus (2005)
    The Victim (2006)

The Boy (2015)
    Always Shine (2016)
    Insane (2016)
    I Am A Hero (2016)
    The Eyes of My Mother (2016)
    Mind's Eye (2016)
    Creepy (2016)
    It Comes at Night (2017)
    Creep 2 (2017)
    Veronica (2017)
    Berlin Syndrome (2017)
    Tragedy Gilrs (2017)
    Suspiria (2018)
    Calibre (2018)
    Cargo (2018)
    The Perfection (2019)
    Body at Brighton Rock (2019)
    Satanic Panic (2019)
    Knife+Heart (2019)
    Blue My Mind (2019)
    Tigers are not Afraid (2019)

We're gonna end with Hausu on Halloween.

Night 1 - Session 9
    Still a nice and creepy flick. Them filming in an actual abandoned asylum and not having to do much set dressing really helps the movie a ton. Josh Lucas plays a good slimeball. David Caruso is always perfect as the man who loathes everyone in a room and wishes he could just blast them into particles with his superior brain, which means he's just playing himself, so I hear.

It threatens to come apart at the seams towards the end but for what it is, I think it still works. Glad to watch it again after like a decade.

Night 2 - Dead Alive/Braindead
    It's just so gleefully gross and I wonder what happened to the Peter Jackson that loved all that gore. It sure takes awhile to get started (and is uhhhhhh, look, I get he's doing a King Kong thing but it still feels racist at the beginning) and I find his attempts at comedy to always be hit or miss. But once the zombies start coming boy do they start coming. So much gross, so many liters of blood and gore.

And then the lawnmower shows up. I just assume that they didn't post the rest of the quote from those IT Chapter 2 interviews. "...features the bloodiest scene ever. Except, of course, for literally any scene in Dead Alive. Or the end of Revenge. Does Army of Darkness count or is that partially water?"

The really agro, dickhead priest is great. Everyone is having a good time. I love the scrappy, pull together nature of old splatstick movies and Raimi, Jackson and Gordon were kings of it.

Night 3 - The Vanishing
    Over 30 years later, we've had Silences of Lambs, Seven and it's ilk, nightly TV about serial killers, a glut of true crime podcasts and documentaries and so this movie about a serial killer feels really....tame.

Not to say it's bad! It was really good. And it's nice to have this subject matter not lurid and salacious - the movie could almost be PG. But it is one of those instances where I wish I could go back and see it before this thing just became another trope. There are instances in the movie that today, to me, come off as funny; I don't know if in '88, they were supposed to be searing insight into the mind of a sociopath. In fact, it's one of the things I really liked about, is that the killer is a fucking dunce. He's clearly smart and wants to kill but the lead up to is stymied so many times, and he's such a goofus GETTING to the place where he succeeds that I hope it was intentional! He's clever, we see it many times. But they also show a lot of the failed attempts and him practicing his abduction technique and it's like watching a nervous young man practicing kissing in the mirror; you know he's a soulless wannabe killer but he's taking a long ramp up to actually accomplish it.

The focus, too, on the deteriorating state of the friend who was with the abducted woman, is a great move. He's just as obsessed with finding her, getting his redemption or revenge, it's a good take and feels different that a lot of these where a dude just gets a gun and stalks through the seedy underbelly of the city looking to kill. He's just a guy, he's doesn't have a ton of money or murder skills or is some slick dick PI so he just has to sit and fret and churn and watch his life dissolve as this incident eats him up inside.

Anyway, good movie, really good. Wouldn't call it a horror movie, it's a thriller and a kind of mild one at that. This is more dual character study with some thrillish instances but I think 30 plus years have, unfortunately, dulled it's "shocking dive into a killer's plans" impact.

Still, quite good and worth watching. And I hear the American remake the director made 5 years later is bad, so there's that.

Night 4 - Jason X
    Look, it's dumb fun. It's not the worst, certainly not the best. It is easily the cheapest looking and it looks cheap as shit. Bad SyFy original cheap. And except for the dope face freeze smash, most of the kills are cut away from and then you just see the aftermath which is lazy. But also gory? I don't like it. I want to see the dude turned into a gore pile!

VR Jason is fun (if poorly executed), almost everyone sucks and is a bad actor (not necessarily a negative in this case) and the leather, zipper and gun belt clad robot lady is certainly a fucking THING but unlike most of the Halloween movies, it's actually fun to watch and get drunk to.

Cyber Jason is dumb in a real good way.

Nigh 5 - It Comes At Night
    This feels like the "elevated horror" movie that slipped through the cracks. No one had time for it after championing The VVitch, Get Out, The Babadook and Hereditary.

And I see why. It's just kind of fucking depressing and vague for the sake of being vague (or perhaps budget??). I remember the trailers kind of selling it like maybe it was a serious zombie movie but it ain't that. I've also seen Krisha, both by Trey Edward Shults, and I don't think he and I mix. That's ok. It looks good, has a good sense of place and is well acted but it never took me to that stage where I fully embraced it.

Night 6 - Strange Circus
    Goddamn. To even give a vague description is like 14 trigger warnings and boy did it not fucking earn most of it. I generally like Sono but this is his early, following in Miike and other late 90's/early 00's Japanese shock auteur's wake. Shit, he helped make it with Suicide Club, and it's still him kind of transitioning out of making softcore stuff.

It's vile and gruesome and disgusting and he kinda smartly navigates around some it and there's a good twist at the end but it's a slog through misery to get there and goddamn was it not what I wanted last night. Another well made crawl through broken glass, hurrah.

Tonight, a complete change of pace, Scream for Help, which I watched 10 minutes of and stopped because I HAD to watch it with someone else. It looks like a real fun garbage fire in the best possible way.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Doing 31 "new to me" flicks.

So far: At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, Body at Brighton Rock, Witchboard, Grabbers, Tragedy Girls, Train to Busan

On deck: Cannibal Ferox (which I expect to hate)

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should do 31 new to me movies but it's hard to find that many quality horror movies I haven't already seen.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I've been getting back into going through my Universal Monster blu ray set chronologically.

After being pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Invisible Man and The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Woman is such a dip in quality.

So far Frankenstein remains my favorite series. I finished Wolfman most recently.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I've been getting back into going through my Universal Monster blu ray set chronologically.

After being pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Invisible Man and The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Woman is such a dip in quality.

So far Frankenstein remains my favorite series. I finished Wolfman most recently.

The Invisible Man is my personal favorite. It really holds up, and the gags still play

“Even the moon’s frightened of me!”

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I am v v excited to watch The Banana Splits Movie on Friday

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Cannibal Ferox review:

https://tenor.com/4tnt.gif

This is the worst fucking movie I've ever seen.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    I should do 31 new to me movies but it's hard to find that many quality horror movies I haven't already seen.

Well there's your problem!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm way late to starting 31 days of horror movies but I just started a free month of Shudder and now I don't know where to start.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I'm way late to starting 31 days of horror movies but I just started a free month of Shudder and now I don't know where to start.

Watch One Cut of the Dead.

Then go through the Movies thread - a bunch of people provided good rec lists for Shudder not too long ago.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

Cold Hell and Revenge are two exclusives and great.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tubi has been a godsend to me this month, been finding a lot of my stuff to watch on there

Tonight I ended up watching Nightbreed

• Options
    Horror Night 7 - Scream For Help (1984)

Holy shit this was AMAZING. Amazing trash, to be fair, but what fun.

It's essentially Nancy Drew, but R RATED MOTHERFUCKERS WE'RE ADULTS. And it's fantastic. High school girl thinks her stepfather is trying to kill her and her mom "and no one will listen to me!!" There's a ton of awful vo that doesn't match the tone of the rest of movie. The lead says everyone's full name all the time, "We have to stop Paul Fox from doing this!" The direction of it is bad, the music is so out of place, the performances are laughable, the plot, my god. It's a great collection of things that could, in the right hands, be successful. But when the director of Deathwishes 1-3 steps up to the plate, well........

I loved it? It's a really fun bad movie with a fucking ludicrous final 20 minutes. Cannot recommend it enough.

• Options
    i will once again stump for I Had A Bloody Good Time At House Harker. Was free on Amazon Prime but that was months ago, go find it and report back.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Went to shudder to see if they had the original texas chainsaw massacre, as it's on my list of things to inflict on myself but got distracted by this fellow
    5mc22zqao7sc.png
    Is he made of teeth? could...could he please not be?

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Say what you will about the fact that he is made of them, but let us at least acknowledge that he appears to be taking good care of all of them.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    He uses so much toothpaste over any single day

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's from Channel Zero season 1.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    He uses so much toothpaste over any single day

Just has a spigot of listerine I bet. Fills the tub, sloshes around.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Firing up Spider Baby now for day 8. This theme song is unexpectedly adorable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZTdAUgpvQ

This is Lon Cheney, Jr. on vocals trying as hard as he can to have a Monster Mash style hit and boy is it wonderful.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The first season of Channel Zero isn't perfect

But the tooth boy is

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Since I'm never going to get caught up or come up 31 horror movies to watch in time I'm going to list some maybe lesser known movies for people who are looking for something to watch.

Cold Prey
    The Hamiltons
    Dying Breed
    Julia's Eyes
    Deathgasm
    Pathology
    Blood Punch
    The Woods
    Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
    Hausu
    Splinter
    Breathing Room

There's a quick list of you need something to watch and you're unsure. If you pick something from this list it has my seal of approval (whatever that is worth)

• Options
    Now about 1/2 way through Spider Baby and it feels like if Tobe Hooper made the first Addams Family movie.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i will once again stump for I Had A Bloody Good Time At House Harker. Was free on Amazon Prime but that was months ago, go find it and report back.

It still is and i absolutely added it to the watch list. Sounds like............................a bloody good time

Anyway

Halloween Night 8 - Cat People (1942)

A Serbian lady is scared that acting on her horniess will cause her to turn into a panther and kill her lover.

It's cool that, in 1942, they were able to roundaboutly talk about female sexuality. And there's some nice, moody lighting.

But man, for a 77 minute long movie, it felt like it crawled. I've watched plenty of movies from this era, even other horror movies, and this one just didn't do it for me. The subversiveness they were able to put in is nice but I didn't really get a horror-ness from it, or even like an eerie vibe or creep factor. It's fine but I won't be revisiting it.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    man if I had a dime for every time a lady told me we couldn't bone because she'd turn into a panther and kill me,

I'd have four dimes.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    YOU DRINKIN MY KOOLAID!? SPOOKY SHIT THREADS ARE MY TURF!

nah it's cool i'm just bored.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

So far: At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, Body at Brighton Rock, Witchboard, Grabbers, Tragedy Girls, Train to Busan

When I assume control, any critic who compared Grabbers to Tremors, and recommended it based on that premise, will be among the first up against the wall, along with those who favour waffles over pancakes, those who favour American style pancakes over thin pancakes, those who favour smothered pancakse over rolled up pancakes, and my mate Peter (he knows what he did).

Anyway, Grabbers is okay, but not great.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Grislo wrote: »

When I assume control, any critic who compared Grabbers to Tremors, and recommended it based on that premise, will be among the first up against the wall, along with those who favour waffles over pancakes, those who favour American style pancakes over thin pancakes, those who favour smothered pancakse over rolled up pancakes, and my mate Peter (he knows what he did).

Anyway, Grabbers is okay, but not great.

Grabbers was ok in the light of day, but I liked it when I was drunk quite a bit.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    While not Horror through and through we watched a pretty cool/funny/freaky movie last night called Harpoon that I had never heard of. It was surprisingly excellent.

Some other notable horror films I've seen recently:
    - The Wind
    - The Furies
    - Haunt
    - Satanic Panic
    - The Hole
    - I Trapped the Devil

All were varying degrees of "decent" with some being quite excellent.

• Options
    Day 9 is the Linda Blair vehicle Hell Night, from the director of Savage Streets and Chatterbox.

• Options
    While not Horror through and through we watched a pretty cool/funny/freaky movie last night called Harpoon that I had never heard of. It was surprisingly excellent.

Some other notable horror films I've seen recently:
    - The Wind
    - The Furies
    - Haunt
    - Satanic Panic
    - The Hole
    - I Trapped the Devil

All were varying degrees of "decent" with some being quite excellent.

We're gonna do Satanic Panic tonight, in fact.

• Options
    Hell Night is the exact kind of movie you would expect to see at 1 am on USA Up All Night with minimal edits needed. Perfectly fine slasher that wastes Linda Blair and slips out of your brain as you watch it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I watched The Endless tonight
    I quite enjoyed it! I still think I've liked Spring the most from these guys but the Resolution-Endless pair is also compelling

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I watched Society last night.

I like wet practical effects. I don't like the wealthy.

Pretty good movie.

• Options
    that wastes Linda Blair

that would be quite an achievement considering her level of acting

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I watched Society last night.

I like wet practical effects. I don't like the wealthy.

Pretty good movie.

one of the few horror movies where "i eat you by fisting" is a thing

we need more of it, tbh

• Options
    Horror Month Night 09 - Satanic Panic (2019)

Boy oh boy, it's a shame Ready or Not just came out because, while Satanic Panic is solid, Ready or Not is great and they're both just so similar.

SP has lots of gore, though, lots of good practical guts flopping around. It feels a little overwritten, humor-wise, in the same way that a lot of video game humor just feels like someone trying to do a Joss Whedon. It also has a bad case of what David Wong once called "rape tourettes" where people are talking a lot about gruesome, Satanic sexual assault in an entirely too flippant way and it feels...yeah.

But other than that it's good! It's solid! It's lit like a budget digital movie so it looks kinda fakey and bad and maybe that's the point because it's where the richies live. You get to see Rebecca Romijn eat raw human hearts while wearing a flowing red robe and that's alright. And you get lots of chanting of "Hail, Satan!" which is always fun.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    that wastes Linda Blair

that would be quite an achievement considering her level of acting

Hey, she's great in Exorcist 1 and 2 (which also had good set design, but was awful). She was also fun is Repossessed.

I assure you that seeing Savage Streets during the early throes of puberty has nothing to do with my love for her...