As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A GST About Who Owns Flavortown

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What in the world is hot dog sweet cream?!
    Like candied hot dogs, sure lots of things can get candied I.e. yams
    Spicy Dijon mustard gelato, sure I’ve seen gelato made from stranger things
    But like what is hot dog sweet cream? Is it sweet cream made with hot dog water? Is it sweet cream blended together with a hotdog? I have questions!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You would already have to pay me to get me to eat Oscar Mayer.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Is vomit a flavor?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Is vomit a flavor?

According to Bertie Botts, yes.

• Options
    Le Creuset, makers of fine (and expensive) cast iron cookware have announced a new Star Wars line:

https://youtu.be/HHGoJXg0398

...and now I'm contemplating a $450 roaster that has Han in carbonite on the lid.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Le Creuset, makers of fine (and expensive) cast iron cookware have announced a new Star Wars line:

https://youtu.be/HHGoJXg0398

...and now I'm contemplating a $450 roaster that has Han in carbonite on the lid.

I'd hold out for a cooler with that motif myself.

Those trivets are tempting though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Going with the the Dutch Oven with the dark father on it is pretty inspired

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Going with the the Dutch Oven with the dark father on it is pretty inspired

I've been looking for a new Dutch Oven. Will depend on price and length of availability.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    It brings me no joy to report that the Americans are at it again.

(Seriously though, who is this thing actually for??)

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    People that are interested in impossible burgers but like beef and want their poop to be blue.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Julius wrote: »

Given that it isn't dedicated vegetarians doing most of the buying of fake meat and seems to instead be meat eaters that want to lower their consumption of it, it does make sense to have something that is less meat than a normal burger but still has enough to make up for the odd texture Beyond Meat's offering can have.

Not sure about the bun though.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Hipsters.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Honestly, the Conflicted Burger at BurgerFi is one of my favorites.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Given that it isn't dedicated vegetarians doing most of the buying of fake meat and seems to instead be meat eaters that want to lower their consumption of it, it does make sense to have something that is less meat than a normal burger but still has enough to make up for the odd texture Beyond Meat's offering can have.

Isn't the whole idea behind beyond meat that it tastes enough like real meat to be acceptable? I understand the flexitarian idea to replace, but making the patty still 50% meat seems to defeat the point.

That said, the buns are way more of a problem to me too.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    It took half the beef to make that burger. It might actually be way more palatable to meat eaters. Imagine if half the burger meat in the world was not beef - that would be a stunning change ecologically and economically.

Not everyone is down with the impossible product, though they are making improvements. If blending it with real meat creates something attractive to the meat eating majority that should be seen as a win.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    People that are interested in impossible burgers but like beef and want their poop to be blue.

It's like they're reading my journal for inspiration.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    No one has commented on the giant hash brown in the middle yet. What the fuck is happening there? Adding breakfast foods to every meal isn't required.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yea i thought it was an onion ring. That is a big ass potato to put on a hamburger

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Beyond Meat tastes mostly like ground beef but definitely has its own distinct texture and flavor. It's basically just putting two different kinds of patties in one burger.

• Options
    It's not a "hash brown", hash browns are for McDonald's.
    It's a potato rosti.
    :rotate:

• Options

Isn't the whole idea behind beyond meat that it tastes enough like real meat to be acceptable? I understand the flexitarian idea to replace, but making the patty still 50% meat seems to defeat the point.

That said, the buns are way more of a problem to me too.

I'm sure that's the goal but Beyond Meat isn't quite there. Impossible has scored better there in taste tests between the two. But Beyond Meat seems to have much more distribution right now.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    No one has commented on the giant hash brown in the middle yet. What the fuck is happening there? Adding breakfast foods to every meal isn't required.

Disagrees in Scottish

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I’ve tried the Beyond and Impossible burgers and they are both good but I prefer Beyond.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Edit

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    So everyone OBVIOUSLY knows that the best way to argue about flavortown is via giant list so tons of people can nitpick.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-foodie-cities/7522/
    In order to determine the best and cheapest local foodie scenes, WalletHub compared 182 cities — including the 150 most populated U.S. cities, plus at least two of the most populated cities in each state — across two key dimensions, “Affordability” and “Diversity, Accessibility & Quality.”

We evaluated those dimensions using 30 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions and costs for foodies. For metrics marked with an asterisk (*), we used the square root of the population to calculate the population size in order to avoid overcompensating for minor differences across cities.

Finally, we determined each city’s weighted average across all metrics to calculate its overall score and used the resulting scores to rank-order the cities in our sample. In determining our sample, we considered only the “city proper” in each case and excluded surrounding cities in the metro area.

Bolded matters a fair amount because not all cities are created equal (quick example I can give because I remember from MLS expansion talks - Sacramento's metro area is about the same size as San Antonio's, but San Antonio's city is "larger" because the city limits encompass the entire metro area, effectively).

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Honolulu ranks 10th in Diversity, Accessibility & Quality? Do those words have different meanings where WalletHub's staff come from?

10th in Quality? Possibly. Including Diversity in that dimension should prevent Honolulu from even cracking the top 30 though.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Honolulu ranks 10th in Diversity, Accessibility & Quality? Do those words have different meanings where WalletHub's staff come from?

10th in Quality? Possibly. Including Diversity in that dimension should prevent Honolulu from even cracking the top 30 though.

Wut

• Options

If you look at methodology, I think it's the accessibility thing - Honolulu is a tourist destination, and the largest weight there is restaurants per capita, then weighting full service vs fast food. I imagine Honolulu is pretty good in both. "Restaurant diversity" is only *checks* 4.4% of that category, which is kinda silly.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Wut

Honolulu has many fantastic options for a handful of cuisines, no representation at all for many cuisines, and average at best for most of the rest.

I mean, there are a lot of places I miss from there that I would love to eat at again but they were almost all Japanese, Korean, Hawaiian or other Pacific Island cuisine of some type, or some mix of those.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Domino's Japan decides that what pizza needs is more Russian roulette:
    Now, as Halloween peers its head around the corner, Domino’s Japan is adding a bit of sweetness and spice to the celebrations, with two new limited-edition pizzas.

The first one on the table is the Halloween Roulette Pizza, which is even hotter than last month’s jalapeno-topped Tsundere Pizza, as one of its slices is spiked with bhut jolokia. Also known as ghost pepper, bhut jolokia was certified as the world’s hottest chilli pepper in 2007 by Guinness World Records.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Wait, the Tsundere Pizza...?

What's next, one topped with calamari named the Fisherman's Wife?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    And in on the nose naming in the culinary world...

Apparently, there is a new "ghost kitchen" (kitchen without an attached dining room, focusing on delivery orders) company named...Zuul.

Yup. Reality is wearing the corpses of satire and irony at this point.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The people that grew up on those movies are now in a position to make punny restaurant names with them. Not really a surprise.

Orca on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Does tsundere only have the anime related personality meaning? I assumed it was a word that had a more practical meaning as well.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Beyond Meat tastes mostly like ground beef but definitely has its own distinct texture and flavor. It's basically just putting two different kinds of patties in one burger.

To me it tasted like fried meat, which is good

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    And in on the nose naming in the culinary world...

Apparently, there is a new "ghost kitchen" (kitchen without an attached dining room, focusing on delivery orders) company named...Zuul.

Yup. Reality is wearing the corpses of satire and irony at this point.

All deliveries come with free self-cracking eggs and marshmallows that will not deflate in any circumstances.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Does tsundere only have the anime related personality meaning? I assumed it was a word that had a more practical meaning as well.

The personality concept predates anime and manga. And the concept in anime, manga, and associated media predates adoption of the term. It's a portmanteau of two Japanese phrases that people on the Internet combined when discussing characters in a game. So it's a recently coined term put together to describe characters in Japanese media but that could be applied in other uses given a lack of other concise terms for the concept kind of like how "bandwidth" technically means how much data a connection can handle but also gets applied to how much work someone can take on too. Just don't be surprised if an theatre buff looks at you weird for calling Hermia from A Midnight Summer's Dream tsundere.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Honestly that one episode of Dragon Ball where everyone had a dumpling not knowing which was loaded with wasabi seemed both fun and delicious.

Helps that the wasabi pain wouldn't last nearly as long as habanero.