As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PlayStation 5 officially announced for Holiday 2020 release!

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited October 2019 in Games and Technology
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/08/an-update-on-next-gen-playstation-5-launches-holiday-2020/

It’s possible I’m blind and just wasn’t able to find a thread already created, but the PlayStation 5 has been officially announced for a Holiday 2020 release.

Not much detail has been officially released yet, but so far the controller is going to feature the following features (officially confirmed):

- Haptic Feedback, to replace existing Rumble tech

- Adaptive Triggers, which developers can use to program tensile strength into the trigger buttons

Also, developers have been given controllers to play around with.

I will keep updating as we find out more. If I missed another thread already in existence, my apologies.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    My hands are weak due to a muscle disease....does this mean they can make the buttons harder to push?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Whoa, they just kinda dropped it huh?

Here's the wired story with more details: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    My hands are weak due to a muscle disease....does this mean they can make the buttons harder to push?

That’s a great question, I don’t know. I’m willing to bet that it’s a toggleable feature that can be turned on or off by the player, just like rumble usually has been. Sony should mandate that developers provide that option, though, up front.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited to see what happens but the controller tech makes me nervous. I'm already on my 3rd PS4 controller after the sticks had issues staying in one direction (i.e. when playing Dying Light when I clicked it to sprint my character would sprint for a second and then stop almost immediately). Adding more tech into that controller (that's already $60) can only mean it'll be more expensive too.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So SSD, Ray-tracing through GPU hardware, mandatory installs of games (albeit selective IE. All of it, only the SP campaign, or only the MP for all games), new controller tech, 4k Blu-ray player, 100GB discs for physical...

We still don't know what it looks like, or specific internals in regards to CPU, RAM, GPU, and of course price... I suppose we'll get a state of play sometime next month. I'm already in since they announced the PS5 is gonna be 100% backward compatible with PS4 games anyway.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Hmmm.

I have the original ps4, and an xbox one x.

Assuming the ps5 has backwards compatibility, I might grab one and play the last few years exclusives I've missed.

The Last Of Us 2 is out early next year, so fingers crossed there'll be a bundle deal.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Am I wrong in thinking that the XBONE controllers already do this?

• Options
    We still don't know what it looks like, or specific internals in regards to CPU, RAM, GPU, and of course price... I suppose we'll get a state of play sometime next month. I'm already in since they announced the PS5 is gonna be 100% backward compatible with PS4 games anyway.

Source? I want to get hyped but I'm worried about BC.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

https://www.techradar.com/news/playstation-ceo-confirms-ps5-backwards-compatibility-ssd-and-4k120hz-output from June

• Options
    edited October 2019
    For some reason I thought it was the XboxTwo. Thanks Javen!

urahonky on
  • Options
    I’ll update the OP with more links and details when I get to work.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

https://www.techradar.com/news/playstation-ceo-confirms-ps5-backwards-compatibility-ssd-and-4k120hz-output from June

Oh man, this article has an interview with the CEO mentions not only backwards compatibility, but the ability to just continue on your current save seamlessly from PS4 to PS5. That's pretty cool.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Haptic sticks where it gets harder to push while swimming or whatever sounds like the kind of thing every launch game and first-party game will be mandated to have, and then everyone else forgets about it and stops using it by the end of the first year.

Cause seriously...who wants that?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Haptic sticks where it gets harder to push while swimming or whatever sounds like the kind of thing every launch game and first-party game will be mandated to have, and then everyone else forgets about it and stops using it by the end of the first year.

Cause seriously...who wants that?

*cough*HD RUMBLE*cough*

But yeah it always sounds cool in a press release but it is almost never implemented usefully.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Adaptive triggers is the term they are using for *triggers* that get harder to push. Nothing to do with haptic feedback, which is an actuator that vibrates the controller with fine frequency control, as already seen in HD Rumble and the Steam controller.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    I think the adaptive triggers feature can be cool, as long as it’s used properly. The example they give is tension when using a bow and arrow.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Adaptive triggers is the term they are using for *triggers* that get harder to push. Nothing to do with haptic feedback, which is an actuator that vibrates the controller with fine frequency control, as already seen in HD Rumble and the Steam controller.

From the Kotaku article
    “On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.”
    https://kotaku.com/the-playstation-5-will-launch-in-late-2020-and-yes-i-1838869958

This is exactly the kind of gimmick that nobody asked for, nobody wants, and will be abandoned quickly, yet you'll still have to pay $80 for a controller with the technology.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Fractured_VeilFractured_Veil Registered User regular
    Hopefully they spent a lot of time making sure the new controllers are reliable and can take the pounding of a fighting game.

Survive and thrive in the deadly wilds of Maui 2122.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'll wait to see about any potential manufacturing issues that can crop up in a first generation. Plus I am not going to even try to pick up a new console during holiday shopping season and fuck you Sony.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    “On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.”

"High-frequency response" aka an actuator. Its not actually going to make the stick much harder to push, the tech can't do that. You will just get some vibration proportional to how you move the stick to simulate "resistance."

Nintendo already has this tech, if Microsoft gets on board, you might finally see 3rd parties take it seriously.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I had a force feedback HOTAS a long time ago. The only game I think that properly supported it that I had was X-Wing Alliance.

The force feedback on this thing could have very well broken my child-like wrist at the time. In addition to general rumble, it had this..."feature". In the game, if my engines were shot out and damaged, the force feedback would slam the stick to one side and keep it there, and I could not get the thing to properly center, the force was that strong on it. I initially thought something had gone catastrophically wrong... and well it did, that was the actual intent. It became virtually impossible to properly play the game until I got those engines repaired.

It's up there on the list of "best gaming experiences of my life".

That said, who knows if a controller can pull off that same experience. And whether I have the patience for it too. It's also likely I'll walk on ice in a game once, say "yeah this is annoying and just makes it hard to control" and turn the thing off. We'll just have to see. Rumble was an amazing experience up until it simply became "that thing that'll exasperate my carpal tunnel syndrome". Even Nintendo's "HD rumble" is now junk, all it is is "ridiculously loud buzzing that sounds like my controller is broken".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I think the adaptive triggers feature can be cool, as long as it’s used properly. The example they give is tension when using a bow and arrow.

It might just be an obvious contrast that a lot of people can relate to, but I can't help but feel that's also a subtle nod at Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Fanboy'ing aside, the game moved over 10 million copies (according to a cursory Google'ing, at least), and while it could also be looking at Tomb Raider or any number of other games/characters/franchises, knowing that the sequel is well underway makes me hopeful all the same.

That said, I'm trying to temper my expectations. I'm guessing this thing will cost $Texas US, which is $Texas+50% here in the frozen wastes to the North. As someone who jumped back onto the Console train with a PS4 pro (after not really having one since the GameCube) in 2017, I'm figuring it'll be best to expect to wait a year or two for the price to drop (hopefully), a possible hardware revision (though if there's a PS5 Pro, I'm guessing that's a long way out, but it's not impossible is all I'm saying), and for the developers to really master what can be done with the new hardware.

HZD2 as a launch title might test my resolve, but otherwise I'm hoping to settle in for the long haul. Launch titles are usually hyped up about showcasing the new stuff, but as this thread notes, that often kind of like a pool in a new apartment building; looks great on paper, but then you use it twice and never really go back. (ymmv, but if I'm honest, that's about my usual pattern)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Why can't Sony accept that rumble is a well established feature? This is the 2nd time they've tried to eliminate it somehow.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Show me the boooox

I kinda want it to just be the PS4 Pro with yet another layer to the sandwich, just go full stupid.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Why can't Sony accept that rumble is a well established feature? This is the 2nd time they've tried to eliminate it somehow.

I think it says a lot about following the VR or AR trend in games. Trying to give the players more feedback to their games without more peripherals or additional hardware required. They're not trying to remove rumble, they're trying to improve that feedback loop. Whether or not it works seems like a fool's errand to the rest of us, but ya know. We're talking about a billion trillion dollar company here. They can dump money where they want.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

To be fair, the first time wasn't really a decision they wanted to make so much as it was a decision temporarily forced upon them by a patent troll.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that the XBONE controllers already do this?

They have "impulse triggers", which provides separate rumble feedback individually through the triggers themselves. It's pretty neat - not game-changing but nice to have and a cool feature that works pretty well that I do kind of miss when I use my PS4 - but it's not what Sony's talking about here.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    On the one hand, yay for SSD, the main feature that will actually noticeably improve games.

On the other, I'm bracing for this thing to be stupid-expensive. Successful Sony tends to turn into Hubris Sony, after all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Jesus. . .this is like throwing a tin of cavier on some party plates. The PS4 announcement this is not. Well maybe they'll have something similar but sheesh.

Still new console is new console and getting something more powerful than the PS4 that can sit comfortably in the living room, can't wait to see what they have to show off. Ghost of Tsushima is almost guaranteed as a launch title at this point; seems like a no-brainer especially with that 4K gameplay trailer.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Just got my 4k TV the other month in preparation for the new gen.

Thing I am most hopeful for:

Console games actually having control set-ups for kbam.

I am ready to leave PC gaming entirely. The one downside is that I hate using a controller for first person games(and isometric stuff) and every single one I have gotten on PS4, despite also being on PC, didn't allow me to use kbam.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Oh man, this article has an interview with the CEO mentions not only backwards compatibility, but the ability to just continue on your current save seamlessly from PS4 to PS5. That's pretty cool.

Despite how much we hated it at first, we can thank the Cloud for that.

It was already a thing before now, Sony just seems to be making it universal with it's BC. The Trails of Cold Steel games have the first two games on Vita, PS3 and PS4, and there's cloud save transfers between all 3 if you want.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Subtle jab about early model temperature concerns? You be the judge.

More to the point: remember the leaked so-called "bundt cake" design for the Playstation 5. Turns out it's probably a development kit, in keeping with Sony's predilections towards large, shiny dev kits lately.

So aside from the unnecessarily smug self-satisfaction of I CALLED IT, and the Roman numeral 'V' being the new Spiderman font, we can have some general confirmation about what kind of hardware to expect in 2020.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I’m surprised at how little everyone seems to care about the PSV, and I don’t just mean here/this thread. I have been at work all day but I haven’t seen much Tweetering among the people and companies I follow.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    No ones seen anything yet. We’ve HEARD about a few features, but that’s it.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It's kind of a known thing already, official or not.

• Options
    Fair enough.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’ve owned every PlayStation console including their handhelds, but this coming generation isn’t exciting me. I don’t know exactly why, since I play games on my PC still every day and regularly use my Switch. Maybe because I don’t game on my TV anymore. Or I’m getting tired of the console generation cycle. Something is sapping my enthusiasm. Maybe my gaming habits and preferences have just shifted away from home consoles.

I don’t know what it is, but I’m just not excited. I’ll probably get it for a 4k blu ray player if it has one though.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Wired did mention that there's a 4k drive in there yeah, which I was pretty pleased by because it's a huge omission (imo) in the Pro. At least that alone dramatically increased my chances of trading in my Pro for a 5 sooner rather than later, even faster if it's quiet rather than a turbine.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.