As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Just owning or otherwise getting ahead of them would work just fine ("yeah, I may have been an idiot in the past but I'd like to think I'm better now. Hell, if you're bored enough you can actually follow the process!") That doesn't work on anyone who believes politicians must be utterly fixed and immutable, but you're not going to shift people who think like that anway so who cares about them?

Scrubbing social media histories is actually a worse look to me, both because it screams "I'm hiding stuff" and because it almost never works given how many things are archived these days.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Just owning or otherwise getting ahead of them would work just fine ("yeah, I may have been an idiot in the past but I'd like to think I'm better now. Hell, if you're bored enough you can actually follow the process!") That doesn't work on anyone who believes politicians must be utterly fixed and immutable, but you're not going to shift people who think like that anway so who cares about them?

Scrubbing social media histories is actually a worse look to me, both because it screams "I'm hiding stuff" and because it almost never works given how many things are archived these days.

I haven't seen journalists go digging through internet archives. Just public Facebook and Twitter streams.

sig.gif
    That'll change, especially as the number of "Joined May 2014" accounts whose posting histories start two weeks before an election writ start increasing.

• CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Is someone out there actually archiving everyone's tweets? Because that seems excessive.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Is someone out there actually archiving everyone's tweets? Because that seems excessive.

Automated crawler, I think. Like the wayback machine.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    And now the Green Party joins the expulsion bandwagon, getting rid of an anti-choice candidate.

Seriously, how hard is it to find one candidate per riding that won't embarrass your party, and to properly vet 338 individuals?

sig.gif
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    And now the Green Party joins the expulsion bandwagon, getting rid of an anti-choice candidate.

Seriously, how hard is it to find one candidate per riding that won't embarrass your party, and to properly vet 338 individuals?

Incredibly. Just take a look at all the fun in the Democratic Primary thread for some of the fun that can be had for a single race.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    To think that it was just a few weeks ago when the press was giving the NDP flack for being overly strict with their vetting.

Meanwhile my riding's PPC candidate and her husband are dogwhistling about the Jews, the evil fake climate change conspiracy (which is probably led by the Jews), and their frankly creepy obsession with Traditional Western Art(tm) as opposed to Modern Degenerate Degeneracy lately.

The candidates in general this election sure are something.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    To think that it was just a few weeks ago when the press was giving the NDP flack for being overly strict with their vetting.

They were giving them shit for not having enough candidates.

edited October 2019
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Meanwhile my riding's PPC candidate and her husband are dogwhistling about the Jews, the evil fake climate change conspiracy (which is probably led by the Jews), and their frankly creepy obsession with Traditional Western Art(tm) as opposed to Modern Degenerate Degeneracy lately.

The candidates in general this election sure are something.

That is completely unacceptable. The PPC is founded on principles of screaming about the Jews, the evil fake climate change conspiracy (which is probably led by the Jews), and their frankly creepy obsession with Traditional Western Art(tm) as opposed to Modern Degenerate Degeneracy. Dogwhistling about these issues is crossing the line into CPC territory!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    These debates sure are debates.
    The highlight so far was the moment I saw Max making faces and generic circus music started playing in my head. Two seconds later my partner turned to me and said, "He's such a clown!"

Yeah, we belong together. <3

These debates sure are debates.
    The highlight so far was the moment I saw Max making faces and generic circus music started playing in my head. Two seconds later my partner turned to me and said, "He's such a clown!"

Yeah, we belong together. <3

Oh, I forgot about the debate tonight. I guess I'll tune in.

Did I miss anything so far?

sig.gif
    Blanchet counting down the timer out loud to shut Bernier up... I know Québec sovereignists are not popular here, but damn I like him.

sig.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I had to turn it off. I find Trudeau utterly unwatchable even if he's far from the most odious person on that stage. He's got the charisma of a spoiled heiress's aggressive chihuahua.

Blanchet counting down the timer out loud to shut Bernier up... I know Québec sovereignists are not popular here, but damn I like him.

While I disagree with them on the sovereignty thing, I remember generally liking Duceppe in the debates. I'd certainly welcome Blanchet carrying on the tradition of calling the others out on their crap.

edited October 2019
    Bernier: "We are the only truly environmentalist party."
    Audience laughs.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Holy shit this moderator

Nice to see one not get walked over

bloodyroarxx on
    This debate format is ridiculously bad.

sig.gif
    I don’t get the Quebec parties being so insulated but getting a national platform like this

I know I’m incredibly ill informed but man having Quebec centric debates seem to be the proper way of doing that

Holy shit this moderator

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I feel like I've heard "Mr. X please, it's mr. Y's time" more than I've heard any leader speak.

sig.gif
    edited October 2019
    I don’t get the Quebec parties being so insulated but getting a national platform like this

I know I’m incredibly ill informed but man having Quebec centric debates seem to be the proper way of doing that

I mean, they do have Quebec centric debates for provincial politics.
    The Bloc Quebecois is a federal party. They just choose to only run candidates in Quebec.

TubularLuggage on
    edited October 2019

As I understand it, the Bloc runs federal candidates in Quebec, where they can win ridings, because Quebec wants representatives for their specific jnterests, and the province is big enough that their representatives can sometimes actually have power — namely, when there's a minority government, they can sometimes swing votes and extract concessions (or support policy enthusiastically).

It's actually kind of a fascinating situation that creates complicated political landscapes and successfully forces politicians to explicitly court Quebecois votes, which I believe enrages western Canada to no end

Evil Multifarious on

As I understand it, the Bloc runs federal candidates in Quebec, where they can win ridings, because Quebec wants representatives for their specific jnterests, and the province is big enough that their representatives can sometimes actually have power — namely, when there's a minority government, they can sometimes swing votes and extract concessions (or support policy enthusiastically).

It's actually kind of a fascinating situation that creates complicated political landscapes and successfully forces politicians to explicitly court Quebecois votes, which I believe enrages western Canada to no end

Fun fact. In 1993 (their first election), the Bloc Quebecois won enough seats to be the official opposition.

Realistically, the west had their own bloc party back in the '90s. They just called it the Reform Party.

Holy shit this moderator

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I feel like I've heard "Mr. X please, it's mr. Y's time" more than I've heard any leader speak.

Well until we put each person in a soundproof booth with the moderator being available to mute them tonight was as strict as they can get

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

The Bloc should not be fucking allowed at the debates. Unless you havea party that is runnig in every riding, fuck'em

with that said, Maxime should also have not been allowed cause y'know, he sucks.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • John C. TurbineJohn C. Turbine Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hardtarget wrote: »

The Bloc should not be fucking allowed at the debates. Unless you havea party that is runnig in every riding, fuck'em

with that said, Maxime should also have not been allowed cause y'know, he sucks.

Note that as it stands, this would currently exclude the NDP.

Personally I think that having a plurality of credible policy positions, and major parties which exist primarily to influence the brokerage politics, is a strength of our system. This is why the CCF (now NDP) was originally founded.

John C. Turbine on
    Yeah, if even a strictly regional party can bring enough votes or seats to the table to be able to have an effect on the national conversation, having them at the debate is fine by me. If a party's at that point it's part of the debate regardless of whether they're in the room or not anyway.

fine, a simple majority of ridings then.

either way the debates don't even matter at the end of the day. Vote liberal if you don't want the conservatives to win, simple as that this year.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png

Note that as it stands, this would currently exclude the NDP.

Personally I think that having a plurality of credible policy positions, and major parties which exist primarily to influence the brokerage politics, is a strength of our system. This is why the CCF (now NDP) was originally founded.

Actually it would also exclude the PPC, CPC, and Green, the former having lost a candidate last week who just suddenly realized the party is a hate group, the second having kicked out a candidate for being overtly racist instead of covertly racist, and the last having just kicked out a candidate for being anti-choice. So the debate would just have been Trudeau talking alone.

sig.gif
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I bet he still would have found a way to make the empty air look better than him. :P

I'm also not sure why the hate for the Bloc? Their presence in these debates is always incredible, I find. The Beaverton tweet is only so much of a joke, because there really is a charisma and degree of common sense often provided that is usually unmatched.
    However this year I feel like Jagmeet was up to meeting that level. It's weird to me that the CPC's whole thing is trying to present Scheer as the every-man, but Singh pills it off effortlessly and infinitely more effectively.

I mean, my dislike for the Bloc is that, in the end, the're ethnonationalists running an explicitly white supremacist campaign in a day and age that isn't the 1920s or 1930s and I quite wish we'd gotten past that.

Past that, though, given how annoying most of the parties have been for the last while I can still appreciate, on an aesthetic level, the extent to which Blanchet has a penchant for dismantling some of them and using their ribs as toothpicks. We could use a little more "oh god cut the bullshit" like that from the others.

edited October 2019
    fuck a party whose only purpose for existing is to seceed from the nation. Maybe if they cared about Canada but they don't, they're not a serious party and shouldn't be allowed to even run federally and shouldn't have a national platform. They only look sane this year due to the PPC.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Singh with what we're all feeling in regards to the Bloc. God I love Singh.

edit: Trudeau and Scheer next to each other seems like a weird call, or are they hoping they outright fight?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    Singh pretty clearly won the debate-I hadn't really heard him speak before, and I was pretty leary of the NDP.+ he was the only one talking about housing.
    Trudeau was reeling, even from softball opposition, and he might of made a huge misstep with his willingness to interfere in Quebec affairs. Which since this is his only English debate is pretty disappointment. Last Election's Debate convinced me to vote for Trudeau.
    Andrew was also reeling in the first half-the "fake" conservative line got him pretty good, but he recovered.
    May was okay-she did what she set out to do.
    Max was good(for his base at least) until he got nailed by the "Which Max am I talking to?" moment.
    Bloc is solid as always.

Looks like I'm voting NDP.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    fuck a party whose only purpose for existing is to seceed from the nation. Maybe if they cared about Canada but they don't, they're not a serious party and shouldn't be allowed to even run federally and shouldn't have a national platform. They only look sane this year due to the PPC.
    And yet there you are, making such a convincing argument for the Bloc. You, and other like you, are why the Bloc and the independentist movement exist in the first place, and why they are still getting traction.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    And yet there you are, making such a convincing argument for the Bloc. You, and other like you, are why the Bloc and the independentist movement exist in the first place, and why they are still getting traction.

Care to elaborate then on how the Bloc would be positive move for Canada as a whole?

I don't support separation, but I don't think it's just or right to try to quash the political movements that do support it. They absolutely have a right to campaign for independence. Questions of sovereignty are some of the most pressing and powerful political motivations that people can have. Trying to repress that is authoritarian, IMO

This discussion has been closed.