As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Mage: The Awakening - The Carnival of Madness [PBP]

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I haven't decided on an order yet, leaning toward Guardians but I don't feel like Llane wants to join them

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    The flesh is willing, but the work schedule is hard and inflexible.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »

That's what he said.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    @cj iwakura are we doing any free status dots for path/order/etc? Or only what we buy with what we have?

That's always my biggest gripe with WW games, way too few merit/background points to make anything other than a not-brand-new PC.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    @cj iwakura are we doing any free status dots for path/order/etc? Or only what we buy with what we have?

That's always my biggest gripe with WW games, way too few merit/background points to make anything other than a not-brand-new PC.

You get free status dots depending on path/order, that hasn't changed.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    "cj iwakura" are we doing any free status dots for path/order/etc? Or only what we buy with what we have?

Wait what? I've never heard that before is that in the book?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    "cj iwakura" are we doing any free status dots for path/order/etc? Or only what we buy with what we have?

Yep, 1e at least.

wVEsyIc.png

Yep, 1e at least.

Any idea wherein?

Yep, 1e at least.

Any idea wherein?

It's been a while, I'll have to double check, but I swear that was a thing...

wVEsyIc.png

Yep, 1e at least.

Any idea wherein?

My mistake, I was thinking of the Composure/Resolve bonus. But as said, if you can work up an experienced character's bio, we can go with the established role for extra XP.

wVEsyIc.png
    Wait, does taking an order give free dots (besides the dot in High Speech)?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Brody wrote: »

Not that I can see, apart from access to their rotes.

wVEsyIc.png
    Brody wrote: »

It gives you a rote specialty, I think, but that's all.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    1t4ps3jw1ezt.png

Heres what I got so far for Birdsong.
    Birdsong spent his younger years in the city of Chicago, the among the hustle and bustle of the city, he always found solace in bird watching, and would take any opportunity he could to make it to the park to sit among the trees and listen to the various songs of the birds. When he could he would visit the zoo and talk to the zooologists as much as he could. He spent his teen years working for the parks department and at the zoo, studying animals. When he went to college he majored in Zoology, with a focus in Ornithology. After many years working for the school, at the age of 26, Birdsong was on a trip to Paraguay to study local fauna, along with researchers studying the local forests. It was here he first saw the evil of deforestation. Growing up in a city, trees were rare enough, and to see them destroyed for no reason filled him with anger and sorrow. He and several of the other researchers joined a local protest group, but were savagely beaten by security and para-military forces working with the logging companies. As he lay in the hospital badly beaten and bleeding, he awakened. He connected with the spirits of life, of the trees and the animals. Now he wants to help promote life, bring the forests and the animals back to the world, and prove to mankind that you can live together in harmony

Ardent wrote: »

Don't suppose you've had any luck on this front...

wVEsyIc.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    If Ardent can't play I might throw my hat in the ring.

I own literally no sourcebooks but I know my way around WoD and the internet well enough that I can put something together...

I'll think on a character concept and you can let me know if I'm needed :)

El Skid wrote: »
    If Ardent can't play I might throw my hat in the ring.

I own literally no sourcebooks but I know my way around WoD and the internet well enough that I can put something together...

I'll think on a character concept and you can let me know if I'm needed :)

I have too many source books, so if you need any particular fluff, I can help you out.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2020
    Hope:
    Hope is a 21 year old woman of very modest means who has been working since her early teens to become an influencer on Social Media. She produces fun, empowering videos aimed at girls to get them having fun and being themselves. She has a tiny apartment, and most of the remainder of her funds go towards looking influencer-worthy and making interesting content for her growing audience.

Her Awakening was the result of an encounter with a Fae, who was passing as a mortal at the time and hanging out in a local nightclub. They had a very short but heated romance, and once he got what he wanted from her he left abruptly, but gave her a parting "gift"... he spiked a drink in her fridge with a strange substance that sent her to a dream realm where she went on an honest to goodness Vision Quest, facing a too-realistic dream world fraught with hostile creatures straight out of fairy tales or dreams/nightmares, and where magic was real and where she realized she could bend the very fabric of reality to suit her purposes. When she awoke alone and exhausted she realized that while she had left the dream, it had not left her... she retained the magic she had wielded in the dream.

Later that same day, she quickly showed some 'magic tricks' to her friends on instagram... and was very quickly contacted by some very stern individuals who explained to her that there were rules on what she could and couldn't do and show people, how her magic needed to be kept secret, and a few leads on meeting more people like her.

She was very contrite and was able to easily convince them that she would behave from now on, and she is true to her word on that to date... but the rigidity and authoritarianism of the awakened world quickly wore thin on her. She decided to keep up her social media presence and continue to live her mundane life normally while she continued her fight against the patriarchy in the regular world, but vowed to find a way to change this other world as well, which seemed even more rigid and dominated by older men than the other one, as unlikely as that seemed.

She now scrapes by mostly through good luck- things seem to appear for her when she wants or needs them

Character sheet (still in text for now):
    Shadow name: Hope (@TinaGrrl on instagram)

Virtue: Hope
    Vice: Lust

Path: Acanthus
    Order: Free Council
    Legacy: House of Ariadne

Attributes:

Mental (3): Int 2, Wits 3, Resolve 1
    Physical (4): Str 1, Dex 4, Stam 2
    Social (5): Pre 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 2+1

Skills:

Mental (4):

Computer 2
    Politics 1
    Occult 1
    Science(*) 0

Physical (7):

Drive: 1
    Brawl: 1
    Firearms (Pistol): 3
    Larceny (pickpocket): 2
    Crafts(*): 0

Social (11):

Empathy: 1
    Expression: 2
    Persuasion (Inspiring*): 3
    Socialize (Making friends): 3
    Subterfuge: 2

Arcana (6):

Fate: 3
    Time: 2
    Mind: 1

Rotes (6):

1- Mind Dive (Third eye)- Presence+Empathy+Mind = 5
    3- Instant Karma (shared fate)- Presence+Persuasion(+1)+Fate = 10
    1- Nudging Probability (Winds of Chance)- Wits + Subterfuge + Fate = 8
    +1 TBD

Merits (7 pts):

Dream: 2
    Destiny: 3 (Bane: The Man)
    Sanctum security 1
    Resources 1
    High Speech 1-free

Wisdom: 7
    Gnosis: 3
    Size: 5
    Health: 7
    Willpower: 4
    Speed: 5
    Running Speed: 10
    Initiative: 6
    Defence: 3

El Skid on
    edited November 2019
    So if @Bucketman @Tox and @Brody are still game, that (finally) makes four.

Hope:
    Hope is a 21 year old woman of very modest means who has been working since her early teens to become an influencer on Social Media. She produces fun, empowering videos aimed at girls to get them having fun and being themselves. She has a tiny apartment, and most of the remainder of her funds go towards looking influencer-worthy and making interesting content for her growing audience.

Her Awakening was the result of an encounter with a Fae, who was passing as a mortal at the time and hanging out in a local nightclub. They had a very short but heated romance, and once he got what he wanted from her he left abruptly, but gave her a parting "gift"... he spiked a drink in her fridge with a strange substance that sent her to a dream realm where she went on an honest to goodness Vision Quest, facing a too-realistic dream world fraught with hostile creatures straight out of fairy tales or dreams/nightmares, and where magic was real and where she realized she could bend the very fabric of reality to suit her purposes. When she awoke alone and exhausted she realized that while she had left the dream, it had not left her... she retained the magic she had wielded in the dream.

Later that same day, she quickly showed some 'magic tricks' to her friends on instagram... and was very quickly contacted by some very stern individuals who explained to her that there were rules on what she could and couldn't do and show people, how her magic needed to be kept secret, and a few leads on meeting more people like her.

She was very contrite and was able to easily convince them that she would behave from now on, and she is true to her word on that to date... but the rigidity and authoritarianism of the awakened world quickly wore thin on her. She decided to keep up her social media presence and continue to live her mundane life normally while she continued her fight against the patriarchy in the regular world, but vowed to find a way to change this other world as well, which seemed even more rigid and dominated by older men than the other one, as unlikely as that seemed.

She now scrapes by mostly through good luck- things seem to appear for her when she wants or needs them

Character sheet (still in text for now):
    Shadow name: Hope (@TinaGrrl on instagram)

Virtue: Hope
    Vice: Lust

Attributes:

Mental (3): Int 2, Wits 2, Resolve 2
    Physical (4): Str 1, Dex 4, Stam 2
    Social (5): Pre 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 2+1

Skills:

Mental (4):

Computer 2
    Politics 1
    Occult 1

Physical (7):

Drive: 1
    Brawl: 1
    Firearms: 3
    Larceny: 2

Social (11):

Empathy: 1
    Expression: 2
    Persuasion: 3
    Socialize: 3
    Subterfuge: 2

Arcana (6):

Fate: 3
    Time: 1
    Mind: 2

Rotes (6):

1- Mind Dive (Third eye)- Presence+Empathy+Mind = 5
    1- Prayer to San Capricio (Dispel Magic)- Composure+Occult+Prime = 5
    3- Instant Karma (shared fate)- Presence+Persuasion+Fate = 9
    1- Nudging Probability (Winds of Change)- Wits + Subterfuge + Fate = 7

Merits (7 pts):

Extemporaneous Affinity 3 (5 pts) (+3 to improvised spells)
    Sanctum security 1
    Resources 1

Wisdom: 7
    Gnosis: 3

I bet the Guardians had her instagram shut down so fast it would make SchreckNet's collective heads spin.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Birdsong is always game to fly

I'm in.

If anyone wants to finalize anything or determine connections, they have over the next day or so. We can get rolling this weekend if everyone's good with that. I'll go over the sheets so far and make sure they're good.

wVEsyIc.png
    Do we want to go into this knowing each other at all?

I’m not sure how much Hope has in common with the mathematician or the druid, but she’s pretty happy to chat with anyone who isn’t stuffy and into enforcing rules and hierarchy...

I would like the PCs to at least have already been introduced, even if they don't all know each other extra well

Do we want to go into this knowing each other at all?

I’m not sure how much Hope has in common with the mathematician or the druid, but she’s pretty happy to chat with anyone who isn’t stuffy and into enforcing rules and hierarchy...

Oh right, I'm the druid.

No offence meant! Was more looking at it from how my character would see yours heh.

Well, my character does an awful lot of “let’s see where fate takes me today” type stuff. Literally bumping into any of you on one of those journeys is definitely something that could happen, as a suggestion...

No offence meant! Was more looking at it from how my character would see yours heh.

Well, my character does an awful lot of “let’s see where fate takes me today” type stuff. Literally bumping into any of you on one of those journeys is definitely something that could happen, as a suggestion...

Can't imagine why :P

I will finish sheeting up tonight

I figured we'd all at least know each other. Unless you are real new to the area, I assumed most mages would give each other the heads up. As secretive as mages tend to be, surprising them by showing up all of a sudden is probably bad.

Your characters are all aware of where the local Consilium is, and at very least know the others by reputation through their Orders. (Especially if they're in the same one... or in some cases, opposing ones.)
    Any further connections are up to you all.

wVEsyIc.png
    Sorry, this weekend has been real busy with family stuff. I'll have more time to go back and read character intro's while I'm at work.

Super excited to get started... question... which of the orders are opposed to the others? I guess Guardians and free council are pretty opposed...

edited November 2019
    Super excited to get started... question... which of the orders are opposed to the others? I guess Guardians and free council are pretty opposed...

That's the biggest clash. None of them really like the FC, but they'll at least tolerate them or use them as needed. The Guardians despise them, and vice versa.

The core book breaks down how they feel about the other Orders, usually 'we'll use them for [x], but be wary of [y]'.

I'm having a busy week as well, I should have more time closer to the holiday, so you have time to finalize sheets/connections and what not.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Someone please tell me there's a good online resource for sorting through rotes. This is killing me.

edited November 2019
    I used http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Rote#List_of_Rotes. Slightly painful but at least you have the rotes by order or by type of magic

El Skid on
    I used http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Rote#List_of_Rotes. Slightly painful but at least you have the rotes by order or by type of magic

The drilldown page is probably the best I can get, but it's rather slow for me

That seems pretty comprehensive, though nothing beats having the books(or PDFs) on hand for quick reference. I already sent Skid some stuff I have from the Free Council book, so if you want any specific Order or Path stuff, I can always break them out. Sadly, I think they're pretty uneven. The Free Council book has lots of certain magic, but other categories have nothing.

wVEsyIc.png
    I just have the basic Mage book, so if there is any more info on the AA order, I wouldn't mind finding more, the Wiki's leave much to be desired. Also does my character sheet look good?

Bucketman wrote: »
    I just have the basic Mage book, so if there is any more info on the AA order, I wouldn't mind finding more, the Wiki's leave much to be desired. Also does my character sheet look good?

The AA book is really good. It details their history, legacies, artifacts, all kinds of good stuff. If you want anything particular, I can send it your way.

The sheet seemed good at a glance, but I'll crunch the numbers later when everyone's is finalized to be sure.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2019
    Sheets look so good so far, just FYI for Tox and El Skid, don't forget your high speech merits. @Tox and @Bucketman still need their Rotes, and everyone should be set.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Great, I'll pick my rotes tomorrow. Can I pick my own rank/faction within my order. Within reason of course