As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Dang. At least I'll have some post-Christmas money to spend on it now though.

Also, bold of them to go on the same day as Animal Crossing and 2 weeks from FF7 Remake.

I can't imagine there is that much cross over with animal crossing fans. FF7 maybe, but even still different markets.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Interesting news over in the PS5 announcement thread. Not so much the release date (holiday 2020), that was pretty much a given, but the news about the controllers having haptic feedback and dev-adjustable tensile strenth in the L2/R2 triggers. (Also, some devs already have their hands on the controllers, apparently.)

It's got me thinking what sorts of things MS is going to do with the Scarlett controller. I would hope improved haptics is something they're doing too, less bothered about the adaptive triggers.

After all, the Xbox One controller, great as it is (IMO), is very much a refinement of the 360 controller that does very little new - impulse triggers initially, which I like a lot but are hardly a paradigm-shifter, and it took hardware revisions to add a 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth support.

On the other side of the console war, the big additions Sony made to the PS4 controller (the touchpad and the speaker) barely register for me. I'll switch that speaker off if I can in game options, and the touchpad is basically a couple more buttons - then again, my PS4 library is small.

But anyway, yeah, I do wonder how the controllers will turn out.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's also got me thinking -- what the hell is Microsoft going to call their next Xbox?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Absolute Zero

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    We wondered about that two threads ago.

Speaking about being late to the party...
    Jazz wrote: »
    On the other side of the console war, the big additions Sony made to the PS4 controller (the touchpad and the speaker) barely register for me. I'll switch that speaker off if I can in game options, and the touchpad is basically a couple more buttons - then again, my PS4 library is small.

Wait, the DS4 has a speaker? I know it has a microphone, but I thought it just chirped, not actually producing mono sound. Wow.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    No. The joke is suggesting 'Zelda' sold less in some manner will bring out people who need to defend the honour of Zelda. For reasons.

Things like '8.8' and the loss of the ZP thread because Yahtzee criticised a Smash Brothers game, for example.

I don't follow "8.8"--though I hadn't realized there hadn't been a Zero Punctuation thread here recently. Hmmm....

Do a Google search for 8.8 and check out the TVTropes entry. It gives a good overview without needing to read examples.

The ZP thread was forbidden after his review of Smash Brothers Brawl. The thread exploded and pre-Edict insults were tossed around casually. The thread was shut down and we haven't had nice things one since. There are reasons it was called Retard Reaction Wednesday.

That was 2008.

Nintendo inspires a certain loyalty.

Oooh. Review scores. Those. Yeah, it's Metal Gear Solid 4 all over again, but replace that with Legend of Zelda. I was annoyed with the Giant Bomb's score of Quantum Break, but that's a whole new level of dumb gamer rage.
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Dang. At least I'll have some post-Christmas money to spend on it now though.

Also, bold of them to go on the same day as Animal Crossing and 2 weeks from FF7 Remake.

I think they can probably count on at least one delay for the FFVII Remake but who knows. I don't mind, good as 2016 Doom was there were a few things that probably could've been caught with a delay.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Ugh wake me up in 2020.

The rest of this year is weeeeaaaak.

• Options
    Ugh wake me up in 2020.

Yeah. Nothing matters until Flight Simulator comes out.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't be a Doom game without delays.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Ugh wake me up in 2020.

We're in the pre-new-consoles lull. Time to catch up on your backlog!

• Options
    Ugh wake me up in 2020.

Yeah, after a truly rage-inducing uninstall of Ace Combat 7 (how the fuck do you still fail a mission by being out of bounds after the mission accomplished alert comes up?) I was sad...until I remembered I still had to finish Control, replay Gears 5 for the collectibles, at least make a token effort at Bloodstained, keep working through Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XV, and pretend to finish Kingdom Hearts 3.

And none of those are even on Gamepass, which I have until 2022.

And my backlog is probably a joke compared to other people.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ugh wake me up in 2020.

Yeah, after a truly rage-inducing uninstall of Ace Combat 7 (how the fuck do you still fail a mission by being out of bounds after the mission accomplished alert comes up?) I was sad...until I remembered I still had to finish Control, replay Gears 5 for the collectibles, at least make a token effort at Bloodstained, keep working through Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XV, and pretend to finish Kingdom Hearts 3.

Bloodstained is on game pass.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ugh wake me up in 2020.

Bloodstained is on game pass.

I meant for me. I own Bloodstained on disc. But yes, it is on Game Pass.

• Options
    edited October 2019

Wait, the DS4 has a speaker? I know it has a microphone, but I thought it just chirped, not actually producing mono sound. Wow.

Yeah; the only game I have that I know for sure uses it is HZD, and (by default) it makes the sound effect when Aloy activates or deactivates her Focus, rather than it coming through the main audio as usual. IIRC you can switch that, though.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Ugh wake me up in 2020.

Which has been helpful, with the Mega Drive Mini and the Godzilla Showa-era collection both making noteworthy demands on my wallet.

Plus, obviously, massive existing backlog.

Jazz on
  • Options

Yeah; the only game I have that I know for sure uses it is HZD, and (by default) it makes the sound effect when Aloy activates or deactivates her Focus, rather than it coming through the main audio as usual. IIRC you can switch that, though.

FFXIV uses the controller to alert you when your instance queue pops, so you can queue for a dungeon, switch inputs on the TV and watch something on another device while you’re waiting.

Well, I mean, I pretty much exclusively play roles with instant queues. But it’s useful for DPS roles.

On the topic of what I would like in the X-Two controller, I honestly would like gyro functionality. I am very fond of it for subtle aim adjust in shooters.

Also I would like them to change the icons for start and “other start” back to the 360 icons because I still have to look down at the controller to remember which button is which.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    FFXIV uses the controller to alert you when your instance queue pops, so you can queue for a dungeon, switch inputs on the TV and watch something on another device while you’re waiting.

Well, I mean, I pretty much exclusively play roles with instant queues. But it’s useful for DPS roles.

That's a sensible use for it, definitely.

On the topic of what I would like in the X-Two controller, I honestly would like gyro functionality. I am very fond of it for subtle aim adjust in shooters.

Also I would like them to change the icons for start and “other start” back to the 360 icons because I still have to look down at the controller to remember which button is which.

I still am not used to thinking of those buttons as "menu" and "view".

Jazz on
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's also got me thinking -- what the hell is Microsoft going to call their next Xbox?

PS6.

• Options

And I thought the share button was a waste of energy. I mean, with the microphone you can justify screaming into it like Kinect, but even stupider looking, but a tiny, crappy speaker? Hmm.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    A bunch of games have used the DS4's speaker in some neat ways, like that 'Dreams' user (see my thread) that turned it into a bunch of different musical instruments, or your phone ringtone/message beep in Yakuza.
    Or you could listen to skit dialogue in Tales of Berseria. When developers found a use for it, it really made games more fun.

I like that they're keeping it in for the DS5, perhaps MS will put one in theirs (trying to loosely stay on topic here).

I saw a Twitch stream the other day where the streamer was setting up a new PC, and couldn't figure out why they weren't getting game audio.
    Windows was trying to use the DS4 as the audio output device, albeit unsuccessfully. The look on their face when they finally figured it out... :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options

I absolutely do not want this, because if my wife can play games by turning the controller in the direction she wants to move rather than using the thumbsticks, I'll never get to play on my own Xbox.

Decades of gaming without motion waggle have taught me to sit rock still while playing.

• Options

PS6.

So that Synthesis can try and rename it the Piss?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

PS6.

So that Synthesis can try and rename it the Piss?

... Well you just named it for him. Piss! Piss! Piss!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    You guys are idiots.

The 5 already looks like an S.

IT ALREADY LOOKS LIKE AN S.

61itx09dy4dh.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »

I absolutely do not want this, because if my wife can play games by turning the controller in the direction she wants to move rather than using the thumbsticks, I'll never get to play on my own Xbox.

Decades of gaming without motion waggle have taught me to sit rock still while playing.

My response to my wife discovering Dragon Age was to say “you know, it’s always a hassle for you when I want to use the Xbox while you are trying to play your game, why don’t I get a second one for me and I will keep it in the back room?” and then I bought myself an X.

• Options
    I feel like Microsoft isn't gonna wait long after Sony to announce their next console.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I feel like Microsoft isn't gonna wait long after Sony to announce their next console.

I'm surprised Sony didn't wait for the Playstation experience, though the speculation I've heard is that they're just formally announcing stuff that has a high potential to leak due to being in developer hands.

Curious if MS will wait until next year or if they'll announce something at XO19.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ch-ch-ch-changes

Corporate VP at Xbox.

Definitely feels like a big transition is coming with all these high level console guys retiring. (Reggie, Layden, now Ybarra)

• Options
    It kinda feels like both of the major consoles were already announced. Maybe without the big stage shows and the dramatic slow pans over individual edges and corners before the camera draws back to show us another rectangular black box with exciting vents and glowing logos, but we know they’re coming and presumably will launch within a few weeks of each other.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It kinda feels like both of the major consoles were already announced. Maybe without the big stage shows and the dramatic slow pans over individual edges and corners before the camera draws back to show us another rectangular black box with exciting vents and glowing logos, but we know they’re coming and presumably will launch within a few weeks of each other.

Yeah I feel scarlet is pretty much announced. Like they said holiday 2020, just don't have an official name, but they've said they have a new system coming.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I feel scarlet is pretty much announced. Like they said holiday 2020, just don't have an official name, but they've said they have a new system coming.

Yeah. Sony's nomenclature system for home consoles is super simple; Microsoft's is anything but. All we really know is they tend not to keep project codenames - ironically, with the sole exception of "Xbox" itself. Although I'd not be surprised if they did a Project Scarlett edition at launch, like they did with Project Scorpio.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

There was an unexpectedly positive response to the technical reveal of the Xbox One X--so Microsoft decided to tease the actual hardware at E3 without formally revealing the console. Good idea? Who knows. Sony was still denying the PSFro existed when the leaks came out and only announced it at the eleventh hour, so I'm kind of surprised we know what a PS5 dev kit looks like at this point.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    At this point in the era of continually diminished returns, the most important thing about Sony and Microsoft's next consoles will be "how much do they cost" and "how much unnecessary bullshit will they force buyers to endure," both of which we probably won't know about until shortly before launch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think both companies are in good spots going forward. There are things both sides can improve on and slowly are, like cross play and first party exclusives. But that being said either side can mess this thing up pretty easily too so who knows.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Well, they did shorten it from Direct X Box, but yeah they did use part of the code name for the original.

Edit: The thing that gets to me about PlayStation is that Sony came up with the name when they were working with Nintendo on the SNES CD system and have never come up with a different name. SEGA and Nintendo at least usually used different names each generation - with only NES and Super NES - Wii and WiiU being exceptions... although still more thought put into he console name than just adding a number behind it. I miss the days of Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast as console names. Made them sound cooler to me.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I really hope they keep the media center bits. I love being able to seamlessly swap back and forth from games to cable to streaming.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Well, they did shorten it from Direct X Box, but yeah they did use part of the code name for the original.

Edit: The thing that gets to me about PlayStation is that Sony came up with the name when they were working with Nintendo on the SNES CD system and have never come up with a different name. SEGA and Nintendo at least usually used different names each generation - with only NES and Super NES - Wii and WiiU being exceptions... although still more thought put into he console name than just adding a number behind it. I miss the days of Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast as console names. Made them sound cooler to me.

Sega definitely had the best console names, purely by virtue of those three (Mega Drive was pretty cool too).

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    I really hope they keep the media center bits. I love being able to seamlessly swap back and forth from games to cable to streaming.

Plus it freeing up an HDMI port on the TV!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Interesting news over in the PS5 announcement thread. Not so much the release date (holiday 2020), that was pretty much a given, but the news about the controllers having haptic feedback and dev-adjustable tensile strenth in the L2/R2 triggers. (Also, some devs already have their hands on the controllers, apparently.)

It's got me thinking what sorts of things MS is going to do with the Scarlett controller. I would hope improved haptics is something they're doing too, less bothered about the adaptive triggers.

After all, the Xbox One controller, great as it is (IMO), is very much a refinement of the 360 controller that does very little new - impulse triggers initially, which I like a lot but are hardly a paradigm-shifter, and it took hardware revisions to add a 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth support.

Xbox One controller is my favorite this generation, and I hope they might be forward-compatible. It is essentially just a refined 360 controller, but those refinements-- the new Dpad and a shape that feels made for my hands-- are great, in my opinion.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Xbox One controller is my favorite this generation, and I hope they might be forward-compatible. It is essentially just a refined 360 controller, but those refinements-- the new Dpad and a shape that feels made for my hands-- are great, in my opinion.

Microsoft has said Project Scarlett will support current Xbox controllers and peripherals. As the article suggests, attention was on this with the Elite Series 2 announcement to assuage fears that the sort of people who bought the new Elite controllers would also be the same people likely to grab the new console at launch or early.

Of course, things could change. Compared to Sony, Microsoft has generally been reluctant to remove functionality within a console generation--this is why system link still works in BC--but there are exceptions, like needing a bridging device to use Kinect on anything but the original Xbox One (though that was leading up to the discontinuation of the Kinect). Who knows if down the line you might have to buy some sort of special receiver. But you can still use them, which is a good thing, considering the high premium Microsoft has charged for Lab-designed and limited run controllers (and how popular those things have managed to be).

Synthesis on
  • Options

1. I have two elite controllers, not the newest ones, but still . Hoping they are compatible.

This discussion has been closed.