As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The two 30K boardgames were a pretty awesome deal. I knew a lot of people who were buying them just to split them up to get cheap mk3 marines or Contemptor Dreadnoughts.

Between splitting a few kits and getting one or two Talons of the Emperor boxes (which were an insane deal) you could build a custodes/sos army fairly cheaply back then.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    So apparently when Contrast paints came out, GW moved some of the Forge World paints from FW to GW.

This includes Iron Hands Steel, Grey Knights Steel, and I think Iron Warriors.

Did they put out a list of these new-to-GW paints anywhere? I usually go by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Citadel_paints but it's not updated for these releases.

I prefer a rather dark color scheme for my minis, so for the metal on my AdMech (and Knights, if I ever lose my mind) I was going to go something dark, like Abbadon Black with Ironbreaker on top. Ironbreaker is metallic silver, but translucent, so putting it on top of Black is uh, yeah. But it's looking like Iron Hands Steel or Iron Warriors might be better.

I'm hoping the local store still has that copy of Burning of Prospero, as 5 Custodes + a whole lot of old armor for a Blood Ravens force would be a nice thing to get.

NINJA EDIT 12 HOURS LATER:

Stopped by my friendly local gaming store.

They had Burning of Prospero. $150. They actually had two but sold the other one this week. Mein gott, that would have been fun.

5 Tartatros Terminators ($60)
    30 MK3 Space Marines ($150)
    5 Custodian Guard ($60)
    5 Sisters of Silence ($80 / 2 = $40)
    2 HQs I probably can't use (~$40)

So that's $310-350ish worth of Imperial stuff. A good buy. Not sure how well the MK3 Marines / Tartatros stuff translates to Kill Team, but that Custodian Guard is probably going to work pretty damned well. Only thing is I don't think they have the options for the HQ / Standard Bearer Custodes Guard in that box, but, yeah. Oh, and the Sisters of Silence are getting updated rules in this month's White Dwarf, so, bonus.

So the question now becomes -- do I do the marines up as Wolves vs Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons like intended, or do I do them up as say, Blood Ravens, Carcharodons, etc.

Hm.

When they had the deal of get x paints was also when I started my not night lords primaris so the GW store manager talked me into night lords blue
    ev64bujbxb8u.png
    Iron Hands steels is old school boltgun metal
    They do have the options for the standard bearer/hq in the custodes sprue?
    grb7e02nu6db.png

Warhammer TV has videos about the pre heresy Wolves and Thousand sons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAB8UsSSos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWB8rUkjfnQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91CuI4U3F8

My brother claimed the whole Prospero box so when last year they had the dreadnaught deal on FW with the last chance for some of the TS stuff I bought it as well so I do plan on doing my Thousand sons as pre Blood ravens since they are rumored

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I gotta say, after building, painting, and playing 30k for so long with Forge World's pose-able/multi part minis, that Sisters being mono-pose just does not affect my desire to have a Sisters army at all. I mean, I can pose those things any which-a-way I choose in 30k, and the only thing that ends up looking kind of different are my HQs and squad leaders simply because you can only pose a dude holding a bolter so many ways (which is, like, 3 ways).

I mean, it might be nice to have some models holding a bolter at slightly different elevations, but it's not really going to make a huge difference once they're all grouped up. It's not like Sisters have ever had much in the way of personalization outside of color choices. It's not like every model can be @Matrias' baller, hate-inducing Space Wolves for every army.

Extreaminatus on
    Yes I feel it's the book as well as the new minis that push the price. I also feel like the $100 start collecting this is a test of the waters. I had hoped it was going to be 140/160/180 for it
    Now I will just wait for the people chopping it up to get the parts I did want

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The sisters are probably not really any different from the plague marines they released. Very little options, but the trade off is huge detail.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The admech skitarri rangers and vanguard kits require you to assemble the kit in a very certain way. It’s one if the few GW kits I’ve felt the need to number as I assemble.

Still an awesome looking kit. I’m not really sure if this thing about the plastic sisters being monopose is an issue for me.

PSN Fleety2009
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/08/create-your-own-warhostgw-homepage-post-2/

huh okay so disarming strike *did* become an exarch power but also its worse than it was. boo.

In the other hand it now works automatically

Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    The admech skitarri rangers and vanguard kits require you to assemble the kit in a very certain way. It’s one if the few GW kits I’ve felt the need to number as I assemble.

Still an awesome looking kit. I’m not really sure if this thing about the plastic sisters being monopose is an issue for me.

The necromunda kits are basically the same thing as you are stuck with whatever legs and body but have some flexibility with the head and arms

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I didn't let that stop me from converting half of mine into lady skitarii. (By swapping in the front half of a wych torso.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular

I didn't let that stop me from converting half of mine into lady skitarii. (By swapping in the front half of a wych torso.)

I am not saying you are wrong by doing so but I am more wondering if skitarii in general would have anything resembling gender left by the time the ad mech are done with them.

Probably varies based on the magos who did it and their "progression" through the ranks.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Man I did all sorts of weird set ups on mine. But I got use to stuff like that doing some other conversions. Most of the admech are stuff I do agree is like that. But also I love the models so much.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

I am not saying you are wrong by doing so but I am more wondering if skitarii in general would have anything resembling gender left by the time the ad mech are done with them.

Probably varies based on the magos who did it and their "progression" through the ranks.

They might, but there would be little point to that being outwards visible, though.

But if you've read Feet of Clay you might see why some skitarii might take umbrage at that practice, though, and insist on (probably purely cosmetic) upgrades.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    When they had the deal of get x paints was also when I started my not night lords primaris so the GW store manager talked me into night lords blue
    ev64bujbxb8u.png
    Iron Hands steels is old school boltgun metal

OH! I hadn't considered this might be old school paints renamed. That's interesting. My FLGS didn't have the Contrasts -- and the new FW->GW metals -- in with the other Citadel paints, so I didn't see any of the newer paints until I was already done.
    They do have the options for the standard bearer/hq in the custodes sprue?
    grb7e02nu6db.png

That's absolutely perfect then, because 1 standard bearer + 1 HQ + 3 troops is absolutely ideal. Gives me the 3 I want for a KT and maximizes my other two options. Only sadness is -- no axe.
    Warhammer TV has videos about the pre heresy Wolves and Thousand sons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAB8UsSSos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWB8rUkjfnQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91CuI4U3F8

My brother claimed the whole Prospero box so when last year they had the dreadnaught deal on FW with the last chance for some of the TS stuff I bought it as well so I do plan on doing my Thousand sons as pre Blood ravens since they are rumored

I wasn't going to go "metallic khorne red" with my Blood Ravens, but man, it's tempting. It's a little too on the nose, though.

I love the Blood Ravens both for the fluff -- Loyalist Thousand Sons, ignore the Black Library writers like ADB, he hates having cool loyalist stuff and you should always ignore fanfic -- and the memes about their geneseed flaw being kleptomania. Leads to interesting stuff like taking a Space Wolf HQ I have laying around and converting into Blood Ravens.

They might be more machine than woman, but that doesn't mean they want to be mistaken for more machine than man.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that the skitarii were largely brainwiped and the AM only used the biological parts to flesh out their armies (apologies for that, I couldn't think of a better term) because they're available.
    They didn't have any more personality or humanity to them than the flying skull that's your favorite servo-skull.

I'm probably at least partly wrong. I mean, it's 40k, any guess or belief about an army is probably incorrect for at least some portion of that army.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I had a nightmare of a time priming my first 5 skitarri rangers. The paint just wouldn't get into certain places. I did prime them with chaos black so should I do a layer of Abaddon black now?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Just learning today that the Eldar think the Legion are imperial demons, which might be my favorite bit of fluff now.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Just learning today that the Eldar think the Legion are imperial demons, which might be my favorite bit of fluff now.

But.

The Legion are Imperial demons?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

But.

I was under the impression it was never made clear what exactly their deal was

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Got some Stynylrez brush on primer coming. Didn't like the Brush on Vallejo primer I have. (Well, both are either airbrush or brush on, depending.) Too many bubbles, think I might have mucked up some of my Skitarri because of it. I might try a different brush, instead of a teardrop shaped one a rectangular one, based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2K_-3Jcjk

Might switch over to rattlecan instead, we'll see.

The local game store has Citdael paints, and Citadel brushes... at Citdael prices. With that in mind, does anyone buy good mini painting brushes on Amazon? And if so, which set?

• see317see317 Registered User regular

But.

It certainly seems to fit the fluff, what little there is of it.
    I'd put even money on the Living Saints also being classified as daemons when the Eldar are in a classifying mood. Maybe something akin to an Avatar of Khaine.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm tempted to pick up the Start Collecting box for the Crons, but with the Sisters box coming next month and it likely being a bit pricey I might want to wait for that.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Edit - Wrong page

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the skitarii were largely brainwiped and the AM only used the biological parts to flesh out their armies (apologies for that, I couldn't think of a better term) because they're available.
    They didn't have any more personality or humanity to them than the flying skull that's your favorite servo-skull.

I'm probably at least partly wrong. I mean, it's 40k, any guess or belief about an army is probably incorrect for at least some portion of that army.

The admech is full of so much individual weirdness, personal idiosyncrasies and oddball peccadilloes that pretty much any appearance is justifiable. "-because X archmagos likes it this way"

But.

It's never flat out been said from the Imperial perspective, 'yup, we've got daemons,' but given their abilities and presentations, it's hard to argue anything else. IIRC, during the fall of Cadia, Greyfax activated some big anti-daemon thingy, which both poofed the Legion present, and significantly weakened Celestine.

The admech is full of so much individual weirdness, personal idiosyncrasies and oddball peccadilloes that pretty much any appearance is justifiable. "-because X archmagos likes it this way"

But.

It's never flat out been said from the Imperial perspective, 'yup, we've got daemons,' but given their abilities and presentations, it's hard to argue anything else. IIRC, during the fall of Cadia, Greyfax activated some big anti-daemon thingy, which both poofed the Legion present, and significantly weakened Celestine.

Oh right then the Necron guy pokeballed a bunch of his collection to make up the difference.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Necrons are the true heroes.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular

Stragint wrote: »
    I had a nightmare of a time priming my first 5 skitarri rangers. The paint just wouldn't get into certain places. I did prime them with chaos black so should I do a layer of Abaddon black now?

Oh no I was thinking of picking up some skitarii, are they very difficult to assemble/paint?

Nechriah wrote: »

Oh no I was thinking of picking up some skitarii, are they very difficult to assemble/paint?

Assembling and paint admech can be a bit finicky just because the models are plastered with details. But it's not that bad.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Also for plastic it doesn't need to be like 100% primed. Long as you got enough in there for the paint to stick.

Now if it's pewter you make sure that shit is covered

TheGerbil wrote: »
    Also for plastic it doesn't need to be like 100% primed. Long as you got enough in there for the paint to stick.

Now if it's pewter you make sure that shit is covered

I know it's nice to just hand primer with a base coat and go with the plastics compared to YOU MUST USE PRIMER with the metal ones

honovere wrote: »
    Nechriah wrote: »

Assembling and paint admech can be a bit finicky just because the models are plastered with details. But it's not that bad.

I found assembly easy (at least for the ones I didn't modify :) ). For painting, they're slathered in detail, but they're not super difficult.

Here's a quote from lexicanum:
    Skitarii creation is a closely kept secret of the Adeptus Mechanicus, but what is clear is that involves heavy cybernetic augmentation to those with a fanatical faith in the Omnissiah. While their bodies are more machine than flesh, they are not true Servitors and still retain independent thought.

But regardless, an eccentric magos can get away with anything. Especially since this is a kill team.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    Matrias wrote: »
    the contents of the eldar kit screams 'clearing stock' to me.

Yeah, and that makes me genuinely shocked at the rumoured price for it (£140/€180). Shadowspear was all new kits and cost considerably less than that...

I think Shadowspear is the exception, not the rule. Tooth and Claw seems to be where the average is.

Tooth and Claw was $150, this is going to be $230. It's a huge increase.

I think the $230 floating about is for the sisters box.

It's not. Blood of the Phoenix really is that expensive.

0etjfdcifbpc.png
    bloodofphoenix.PNG

GW's goofy ass regional pricing bothers the hell out of me. Tariffs and customs, regional economic strength, all that jazz, I get it. But it gnaws at me.

180 Euro = 197 USD = 262 CAD at current exchange rates. Heck, 230 USD is 306 CAD, 280 CAD is 210 USD.

Monopose is annoying. It doesn't make the biggest difference for the regular SoB, but the Seraphim should have more flexibility in assembly.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »
    GW's goofy ass regional pricing bothers the hell out of me. Tariffs and customs, regional economic strength, all that jazz, I get it. But it gnaws at me.

180 Euro = 197 USD = 262 CAD at current exchange rates. Heck, 230 USD is 306 CAD, 280 CAD is 210 USD.

Monopose is annoying. It doesn't make the biggest difference for the regular SoB, but the Seraphim should have more flexibility in assembly.

I was looking into the price of stuff recently. Take Vertus Praetors, the Custodes jetbikes.

$60 US. $51 if you go for the 15% discount GW lets online stores offer, like Amazon.

That's £49.08 or £41.72.

GW offers the same kit on their website for £35. ($42.79)

But what about the 15% discount in the greater Caliphate of Londonstan? Well, it's not 15%. It's 25% now.

That same Vertus Praetors kit from Triple Helix Wargames would cost me £26.25. $32.09.

That's almost half what it would cost me from my local game store or GW directly.

Which gives me hope for why some of these ebay sellers might not be recasts, they might just be getting a decent deal from GW in the EU/UK and shipping overseas without permission.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »

I was looking into the price of stuff recently. Take Vertus Praetors, the Custodes jetbikes.

$60 US. $51 if you go for the 15% discount GW lets online stores offer, like Amazon.

That's £49.08 or £41.72.

GW offers the same kit on their website for £35. ($42.79)

But what about the 15% discount in the greater Caliphate of Londonstan? Well, it's not 15%. It's 25% now.

That same Vertus Praetors kit from Triple Helix Wargames would cost me £26.25. $32.09.

That's almost half what it would cost me from my local game store or GW directly.

Which gives me hope for why some of these ebay sellers might not be recasts, they might just be getting a decent deal from GW in the EU/UK and shipping overseas without permission.

There is a reason we do a lot of forgeworld orders when our club members head to England to see family. We have an underground Forgeworld train because the cost of FW models in the UK is way less than the US.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Things were pretty good when payment was in GBP so you could take advantage of exchange rates, before they finally caught up with the modern world and set international prices.

edited October 2019
    Yeah, when forgeworld changed that certain kits jump up to 30% in price.

Drahzar and Jain rules preview on warcom. Drahzar gets an extra wound and the already previewed D2 on his weapons. Jain Zar's stats stay the same. Disappointing. Still only 4 attacks, no ward save, and of course the loss of disarming strike.

honovere on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Drahzar and Jain rules preview on warcom. Drahzar gets an extra wound and the already previewed D2 on his weapons. Jain Zar's stats stay the same. Disappointing. Still only 4 attacks, no ward save, and of course the loss of disarming strike.

I'm honestly kind of shocked at how quickly my hype for this box set has dissipated. Between the price, the lackluster model selection and the rules that have been revealed so far being unimpressive I might be passing on something that I initially thought was an instant purchase.

I'm honestly kind of shocked at how quickly my hype for this box set has dissipated. Between the price, the lackluster model selection and the rules that have been revealed so far being unimpressive I might be passing on something that I initially thought was an instant purchase.

It's the price that makes me question it
    part of me kind of wants to wait for the chopped up set to get the things I do want [I kind of don't want another viper and I use the old og Scourges} But there are certain parts I want of it as well so I might wait and see if people even part it out. Still I know the reseller market is a gamble at times

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Feels like a weird joke that they do a writeup of the two characters in a character duel right after they take away one of said characters abilities that makes a mockery of character duels.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682