As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I don't know if its just been my good luck, but I'm almost at the point I can fill out the board too. I've gotten 4 lines so far, but only have 7 more spaces to fill, with 680 points. So, with just 2 more quests tomorrow, I can fill it out, I think. I just want to make sure though, is targeted guaranteed to give you the number? Or just that its more likely that number comes up?

Also, since I just got P90, what are peeps' impressions of her? The GFLcorner folks put her into the recommended/niche category, and I was wondering if any of you have experience leveling her up.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I don't know if its just been my good luck, but I'm almost at the point I can fill out the board too. I've gotten 4 lines so far, but only have 7 more spaces to fill, with 680 points. So, with just 2 more quests tomorrow, I can fill it out, I think. I just want to make sure though, is targeted guaranteed to give you the number? Or just that its more likely that number comes up?

Also, since I just got P90, what are peeps' impressions of her? The GFLcorner folks put her into the recommended/niche category, and I was wondering if any of you have experience leveling her up.

I haven't bothered leveling her up yet. I expect there will be content at some point where she is super important. And I may just level her anyways because she looks cool, but I've got so much shit I'm working on right now that I just don't have space for her anyways.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    So tried dragging 5-2E. I can sort of doing it, but I'm not sure I'd be inclined to do it long term because it's tedious to an extend. I'm fine with the idea of having to manually supply because that can be handy for when one has to drop dummy echelons, where you'd probably rather not burn rations. I'm just hoping having a nearly empty echelon doesn't hose me on battery acquisition. Part of me has to wonder if the devs are fine with that part of the meta or not.

I might do some dragging just to build up resources, so that I can work on more equipment crafting because I need better equipment. Dragging, while not time efficient, is handy for resources stockpiling if you are wiling to put the time in. I know my second team is really held back by the garbage gear it's equipped with and even team one still has some hot garbage equipped. I kind of hope they do something with the equipment crafting though because it's just way to broad in what you can get for any recipe. Given the amount of crap one can get even when they do get the item they wanted, the devs could probably give us hyper-focused recipes. Even if I had a recipe for optical scopes, that only made those, still going to be a massive sink given how likely it is to draw 2* and 3* scopes, while wanting a 5* one.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

I'm in apprimately the same spot as you board wise. 3 rows complete, but only 8 tiles remaining. I'll complete the board in a day or two. Targeted draws directly unlock the tile.

As for p90, you want to pair her with someone who grants shields such as MDR. IIRC, her shadow clones have 3 hp, 999, and persist for 3 seconds. In other words the normally last until they get shot three times. But if mdr gives them a 40 hp shield, then each clone will need 43 hits to take down. In other words, when combined with a shield, her skill basically reads "become immune to weapons fire for three seconds. ". And her shadow clone trick procs a hell of a lot more frequently than the force shield SMGS.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I wanted an excuse to level p90 and need some more decent ARs available to use anyway, that sounds too neat to not level those 2 for.

Yeah, I think I'll largely ignore dragging because even if you have good gear, which I don't, and maxed out characters (lvl 100 & 150 affection). It's still going to be a super tedious process of shuffling guns, remembering to resupply and generally not be fun. I'm all for rewarding the player for going above and beyond, or finding creative uses of mechanics. It's why kiting doesn't bother me too much as a mechanic. It's not tedious, nor does it impart an advantage nearly on par with dragging. Kitting just means less resources spent on repairs and right now I'm swimming in parts & man power. Also means less repair tickets, trivial to get and less time spent on repairs.

Dragging just isn't fun, but you can see how it has a freaking huge advantage over not dragging. More resources to do more things. Be that more runs or more crafting. it also makes some quests definitive resource gains rather than a discounted sink. Normally, I don't wish for things go away that help players, but as god awful as dragging is, I wouldn't mind if in some future update they made it less good. Ideally, in way where the standard approach is adjusted to make up for it. Though I suppose they could do other things to make it less of a chore. For instance, I really do wish there was a way to just straight up switch guns between echelons, that didn't involve having to go through the whole pool to find one put it on a team and then have to do the whole process again with the gun it switched with, which is something that would be of benefit outside of dragging.

Honestly, once I get my second team fully linked and get a handgun & another rifle also fully linked. There won't be nearly as much need to try and to efficiently & quickly level up guns. So if I need to stockpile resources, I'll have the option of essentially idling, while waiting to do for logistics missions to complete and to have enough sim energy for whatever sim I'm running, after getting dailies done. Don't even think I want to bother with dragging, even if I had the best setup for it, to make some quests guaranteed resource gains.

I hear menuing and a lot of other things are improved quite a bit in the new client, so maybe it'll be less hassle when it drops this month.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Holy mother forking shirtballs! I figured after that crazy luck with SMGs that was prepared to go on a long boring streak of 2-3* dolls, and then out pops
    G11

What is going on?! I may never get Vector, but man this nuts!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    @Mill I've come to basically the same decision you have, minus one caveat. Level up M16A1 anyways, and use her to tank. Have a good DPS sit in the back, and fill the rest with leveling material, but leave auto supply on. It has a similar effect of leveling 3 dolls, but you also don't have to worry about the fiddly shit. Plus, m16 can tank 0-2 at 80 with a gold plate and t exo, and 0-2 gives a core every five runs or so.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I will finish the bingo board once it resets, I'm 80 free points away from the complete board.

I've got p90 at level 50 something, because she is cool. I'm no good at measuring doll success, but she does not take a whole lot of damage.

I was talking to my wife about how I'll for sure finish it tomorrow and how if I got oooone more new number I could have finished today without wasting any points, but that didn't happen...

...for me, while I was talking to her about it, she had it happen and cleared it with 0 waste.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    So is this the update after which story granted dolls are supposed to be fully linked etc?

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Rend wrote: »
    So is this the update after which story granted dolls are supposed to be fully linked etc?

no, that should be with the new client update if you're talking about the revamped earlier chapters

this is just the addition of chapter 10

Orphane on
    Here's the voting pools for the upcoming rescue event. The winners will temporarily become limited drops from various boss maps.

2nkbmiwp412e.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
    Brody wrote: »
    @Mill I've come to basically the same decision you have, minus one caveat. Level up M16A1 anyways, and use her to tank. Have a good DPS sit in the back, and fill the rest with leveling material, but leave auto supply on. It has a similar effect of leveling 3 dolls, but you also don't have to worry about the fiddly shit. Plus, m16 can tank 0-2 at 80 with a gold plate and t exo, and 0-2 gives a core every five runs or so.

I like to call the interning, which is something I plan on doing once I have my second team fully linked. I'm willing to shuffle out some of the leveled dps and have low level dolls in so that I can run guns on maps that I could run them on with a standard team. The worst part of dragging is really the whole shuffle thing and remembering to supply. I do need to get M16A1 leveled soon because she is a good tank and no doubt she'll probably get a mod.

As for the voting, I'll have to see which dolls are ones that can't normally be obtained. For me that should be the priority vote because the drops are low enough and probably resource intensive enough, that "really hard to craft right now" doesn't trump "currently doesn't drop anywhere." After that if there is a bracket where none of them currently drop or there is room for a doll that currently drops, it's going to probably be a mix of hard rare is it, how expensive and how good is it.

Yeah, more just that with M16A1, because sure walls armor and eva, can solo tank a lot of stuff, so you can run more stuff to level than a typical tank/off tank setup.

Probably level her up after I get my first handgun and second rifle to 90. Night stuff pops up frequently enough with this event and looking at the past two events, it's shown up there. So I want to have a good handgun and field a decent rifle team for that kind of stuff. How well does M16A1 work in night battles or is she just more useful as a wall in content where armor is highly useful? I know it's been mentioned that evasion is much more useful in night battles than armor.

Mill wrote: »

As for the voting, I'll have to see which dolls are ones that can't normally be obtained. For me that should be the priority vote because the drops are low enough and probably resource intensive enough, that "really hard to craft right now" doesn't trump "currently doesn't drop anywhere." After that if there is a bracket where none of them currently drop or there is room for a doll that currently drops, it's going to probably be a mix of hard rare is it, how expensive and how good is it.

IIRC the uncraftable dolls are the entirety of group A, cz75 and tac-50 from group D, and pp-19 from group E.

I have all of the dolls for once, so I'm probably going to vote for who I think are most beneficial overall.

That's probably going to be:
    Aug
    Contender
    MDR/RFB (undecided)
    Cz75
    PP-19 and K5

3DS Friend Code:
    edited October 2019
    I'm probably going Aug, CM-S, RFB, TAC-50 (unless CZ is really useful), and then probably whatever other people are voting for in group E.

Edit: As far as M16A1 and tanking night battles, I'm not sure why she wouldn't work. The reason to stack EVA for night battles is that enemies also have to contend with the acc nerf that is inherent to night battles (at least, it seems like they do). Most of the concerns, iirc, are from the big tanky assholes that take forever to kill, giving them time to get hits in regardless of accuracy.

Brody on

I need to get all the medals for map 6-6 at some point, so that I have the option to run that on auto-battle. It's a big reason why I'm trying to get team 2 up to being fully linked. I'm just hoping I'll at least have echelon 7 up by then. Ideally, I'd like echelon 8 up before the event starts, so I don't have to consider sacrificing a logistics mission. IIRC all boss fights require 2 echelons for auto battle. Upside with auto battle is that only CE matters and it does look like some pieces of equipment do inflate CE numbers, for instance if one falls short on hitting the requirement and all their ARs have the recommended scopes, it might be possible to hit the requirement by switching those out for equivalent holoscopes. Auto battle doesn't seem to rate the extra crit as highly as it rates everything on the holoscopes, even if the evasion on those is largely less useful to your ARs. I'm sure someone has done the math on the best pieces for CE inflation, though possible that doesn't exist since if it's just chapters 1-6, which seem fairly easy for most veteran players to have enough guns to meat the requirement without gaming CE.

I'm probably going Aug, CM-S, RFB, TAC-50 (unless CZ is really useful), and then probably whatever other people are voting for in group E.

Edit: As far as M16A1 and tanking night battles, I'm not sure why she wouldn't work. The reason to stack EVA for night battles is that enemies also have to contend with the acc nerf that is inherent to night battles (at least, it seems like they do). Most of the concerns, iirc, are from the big tanky assholes that take forever to kill, giving them time to get hits in regardless of accuracy.

FWIW, CZ is the centerpiece of a lot of 5HG teams. She's great for cheap boss killing teams since she's a handgun with a bamboo skill on a short cool down. She's actually very good at these rescue events because the boss killing teams that consume the least resources per run generally include her.

3DS Friend Code:
    Doesn't Contender also have a nuke? I guess I can vote for her over TAC-50, since I have two(tree? I can't remember what SRS is supposed to be) really solid bamboo rifles anyways.

There is a gulf in potency between the two. Contender's skill is mostly valuable for its damage buff component and its targeting redirection trait.

3DS Friend Code:
    Doesn't Contender also have a nuke? I guess I can vote for her over TAC-50, since I have two(tree? I can't remember what SRS is supposed to be) really solid bamboo rifles anyways.

SRS is not a bamboo, she is considered a FP buffer

bamboos specifically refer to those RFs who have relatively long ICD charge shots that have a high multiplier to damage. NTW-20, DSR-50, Mosin-Nagant, Springfield, etc.

Yeah, I have NTW and M99 (and Springfield/Mosin), I just couldn't remember what SRS's deal was.

I was really hoping Five Seven would be one of the options, but I'm sure she'll be back around eventually.

It's official. I am ready for expeditions, and all of my dorms have three pets.

zz90ysi3qux6.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
    edited October 2019
    M16 isn't as useful in day or night battles past a certain point because the damage threats such as vespids and jaegers during day and nemeums (the armored cannons) and manticores during night generally hit a lot harder than armor will mitigate most of the time and her evasion is lower than SMGs

let's nerd out a little bit and do some really sloppy napkin math

For reference the hit rate formula for both enemies and tdolls is: Hit rate = Final Attacker Hit / (Final Attacker Hit + Target Evasion), as described here: https://gfl.matsuda.tips/post/Accuracy

M16A1's base evasion at level 100 is 44. Best girl UMP45's base evasion at level 100 is 74. C-MS's base evasion at level 100 is 75.
    In the ideal case M16 can equip both a regular T-exo and her Custom Exoskeletal Armor, which assuming maxed out stats means she gets 45 EVA and 20 armor, for a total of 89 base EVA and 20 armor, with 605 health total.
    UMP45 and C-MS both equip a T-exo (or the UMP UX in UMP's case, but same EVA) for 35 EVA, for a total of 109 EVA for UMP45 and 110 EVA for C-MS. Both UMP45 and C-MS have 925 health total.
    C-MS assuming her perma-evade buff because why wouldn't you ends up multiplying that 110 EVA by 1.65 for a total of 181.5 EVA.

enemy stats are pulled from here, and for simplicity's sake I'm going to assume enemy final hit is their acc since i doubt they have such things as fairy buffs or formation buffs like we do (yet, anyways): https://gf.underseaworld.net/en/maps/

in M16's stated ideal case, 0-2, there are a mix of enemies ranging from Vespids (AR analogue), Jaegers (RF analogue), Dragoons (the mech walkers), Guards (meatshields) and Rippers (SMGs). For brevity's sake we won't care about the Guards and Rippers since they basically exist to soak damage for the more dangerous enemies such as Vespids/Jaegers. In 0-2 the Vespids do 9 dmg per shot and have 20 ACC, while the Jaegers do 14/16 dmg and have 28/34 acc depending on which echelon is fought.
    So if we were purely looking at each of these 3 tdolls going in by themselves, M16A1 would take 1 damage per shot from any Vespid and have a 20 / (20 + 89) = 18.3% chance to get hit, and she would take 1 damage per shot from any Jaeger at a 23.9 or 27.6% chance to get hit. UMP45 would take 9 damage per shot at a 20 / 129 = 15% chance for Vespids and 14-16 dmg per shot at a 20-24% chance for Jaegers. C-MS takes the same damage as UMP45 but thanks to her perma evade buff only has a 10% chance to get hit by Vespids and a 13-16% chance for Jaegers. It's easy enough to say that m16 comes out ahead in this situation due to taking drastically less damage per shot even if she gets hit more since enemy FP is not high enough to overcome her armor.

Let's take a look at 1-4N which is about as basic of a night map as we'll get (and they only get tougher from there on out).
    Enemy Nemeums have 56-62 damage per shot and 34 ACC, which is the same ACC as the high end Jaegers from 0-2. The lone enemy Manticore has 30 FP and 30 ACC.
    So M16A1 is going to be taking 39-42 damage per shot at a 27.6% chance to be hit, UMP45 takes 59-62 damage per shot at a 24% chance to be hit, C-MS takes 59-62 damage at a 16% chance to be hit. You can see here that the calculus kind of starts to tip comparing M16A1 and C-MS - if theoretically the Nemeums managed to shoot 100 times, then m16 would take 25-26 hits on average while C-MS takes 16 on average. Now, M16 takes less damage per hit but at that level of FP each shot dodged is more damage nullified than simply mitigating it with armor. M16's much lower health (605) also comes into consideration because 45 and C-MS have 320 more health than her so they can take more punishment too.

What about the most recent night map?
    In 7-4N we have Nemeums that are poppin with 92 FP and 60 ACC.
    M16A1 takes 72 damage per hit at a 40.2% chance to be hit, UMP45 takes 92 damage per hit at a 35.5% chance to be hit, C-MS takes 92 damage per hit at a 24.8% chance to be hit. The scales tilt more and more towards the traditional SMGs because armor can only do so much.

For an extreme case, let's look at Dreamer, aka Little Miss I'mma tear your shit up.
    Dreamer in 7-4N has a whopping 200 fp and 70 ACC.
    M16A1 takes 180 damage per hit at a 44% chance to be hit, UMP45 takes 200 damage per hit at a 39.1% chance to be hit, C-MS takes 200 damage per hit at a 27.8% chance to be hit. Here you can see M16's armor is basically pointless because of the sheer FP and ACC Dreamer is swinging and so it's obvious that more EVA is better because any shot you take is going to wreck you regardless.

What are we missing here? A few things. Obviously, I'm leaving out Formation and Fairy buffs - while Fairies apply buffs equally across the board, Formation buffs on the whole favor SMGs because M16 is an AR - and with her role on the frontlines, she's basically never getting tile buffs from an SMG even if you had one that buffs ARs with evasion. SMGs on the other hand will get 1-3 AR buffs, which can mean an extra chunk of evasion ranging from like 10-30% extra EVA depending on how stacked the buffs are. I'm leaving out the effects of 45's smoke, since that's a lot more in-depth than I'm willing to get trying to figure out how much that reduces incoming damage especially when trying to determine minimum vs maximum targets affected by smoke, and M16A1's Flash Bang is also not being taken into account because trying to figure out how many enemies get stunned is hugely dependent on both enemy formation and your outgoing damage. Another consideration is that you would have to completely max out M16A1's Custom Exoskeletal Armor to get to 20 armor - it's at +15 armor normally and everyone i know didn't bother enhancing it because it's not really worth dumping a full special equip's worth of fodder (remember, special equips are 3x the cost of normal equips) to get 5 more armor and like 5 more evade.

tl;dr M16A1 is excellent as a tank when enemy FP stats are in a certain range but her effectiveness goes down compared to regular SMG once you're out of that comfort zone.

anyways that's my 1 effort post of the day. I probably missed a few other things but I think that should illustrate why M16 isn't commonly considered as a general use tank.

Orphane on
    So that tells me, M16 is worth raising just to farm 0-2, but for night maps, don't both using her.

So what you are saying is I should stack P90 and MDR for everything?

So what you are saying is I should stack P90 and MDR for everything?

no because judge will tear you a new one probably

Mill wrote: »
    So that tells me, M16 is worth raising just to farm 0-2, but for night maps, don't both using her.

You should read it as don't throw her up against high FP enemies like nemeums. Night maps also contain the standard SF troops like those found in 0-2. 0-2 is where she shines because she has enough armor to reduce enemy attacks to chip damage, but also more evade than shotguns so she takes chip damage less often than shotguns. The ideal case against nemeums anyway is to use a handgun to kite them as your rifles kill them before they can ever fire a shot.

You can still use her as a tank outside of 0-2, but she falters once enemy FP starts rising above her armor level. Then you start being better off using either an smg or a shotgun depending on what you're facing off against.

She does fall off in harder content where she'll never be the optimal tank, but in a pinch you can probably still use her as a tank in your second line echelons. That's what I did in deep dive. I stuffed her in a team that could win a battle or two without repairs, but as a whole her team avoided fights whenever it was possible to send one of my A-teams in to sweep the area.

3DS Friend Code:
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I voted for whatever dolls I don't have, which turned out to be all the limited ones. Did vote for AUG and CZ.

E: I really want Aug, because that was my go-to rifle in Bad Company 2.

MrGrimoire on
    I forgot that CZ has an axe, which very much swayed my vote in her direction.

Not just an axe. A scope axe. Additionally it is one of the handful of attacks in the game that cannot miss.

3DS Friend Code:
    edited October 2019
    unknown.png

that was sweaty as hell because for some reason Judge switched to Negev when i moved her up front to avoid the slam dunks even after she'd targetted my two SGs
    my poor girls......

f6hnetr3ancl.png

thankfully you don't lose affection if you lose dolls in boss fights so my cake budget remains intact

Orphane on
    I'm reasonable happy with the current results for the rescue voting event.

So far, in all the brackets where there is a mix of event only guns & still available ones. The ones that aren't available in game right now are leading by a reasonable amount. For the two brackets where all the guns are still available in game, I'm glad to see the guns I voted for are leading. Everything I've seen with Contender points to her being a solid choice and she's pretty hard to get anyways. MDR just looks like she has some interesting comps open to her (also when I needed to find a gun to gift 10 reports to, find that I did have a copy of RFB, who got them).

Group E is going to be the interesting one to watch. Only spot where I'm a little worried people will knock out a gun that can't be obtained right now. I could see the logic for K5 getting more votes in the end, but M1014 seems to be rated as an okay SG, that can still drop from heavy production and I'm pretty sure we get an okay SG for the 10th heavy production. Not to mention, analysis seems to be that PP-19 is much more useful than M1014. So I'm going to be really annoyed if we end up in a spot where it's K5 & M1014, instead of either K5 & PP-19, or even the less optimal setup of PP-19 & M1014 (I mean there is the argument that if you had to craft grind for either M1014 or K5, probably better to have to grind for the later). I'm a bit surprised Jericho is as high as she is, seems like one would get her eventually, while trying to grind out other highly desired handguns.

Also when do they usually run the rescue event after the rescue event? Trying to figure out if I'll have enough time to get my 7th echelon, 10 more roster spaces and I'd like to get the 8th echelon, but that seems unlikely if it's within a month or less of the vote.

Eh, I'm not super worried about the vote right now. Aug was the one I really wanted, and who knows how long it'll take me to actually get her to drop, so having more stuff to grind for would have just made it worse.

With each chapter getting a rescue gun. Already, at least half of those aren't going to be a priority for me. Even if I don't have the gun that gets assigned to that chapter for the rescue event, it can still drop in game and that means I can eventually get it. Best case scenario, three bosses will get a gun that I currently can't acquire in game right now.

Contender and K5 are probably the two guns I want to win, but will be lowest on priority list of guns to farm for because at some point, I'm going to be shifting to the handgun recipe because there are still several I don't have and also so I can meet the requirement for quests, while reducing resource consumption.

I suspect it's a "depends on the fight" kind of answer, but are there some generally strong 5HG formations to do the upcoming boss farming with? that can handle harder things?

I've got a decent enough idea what to slot in to fill out other echelons but I'm not sure what they need to function as 5 HGs

edited October 2019
    5hg u say

WARNING: stop watching at about 3 minutes if you don't want major story spoilers. you're also gonna have to click on it cause the thumbnail itself is a spoiler

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8_Kl_2J_ZyI

Orphane on