As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[California Politics] America's Hippie Commune

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So this thing won't actually make impacts for years, most likely, but a central valley winery seems to be trying to set up a "freedom of religion" challenge in California.

g7DZkYqAmfbRPsL27Us-lMWYJ34QWdci5g8G0yCFrzQ.jpg?width=768&auto=webp&s=548afec59f52c55ec5fd240c5d398765d756cae8

Note how mealy-mouthed it is of "oh, we wouldn't discriminate, we just won't have the ceremony."

Sexual orientation is, I think, a protected class in the CA Constitution, so I see this failing on that basis, but this bullshit is here, too.

e: http://vinesmart.com/wine/Real_Estate/Wineries_For_Sale/2589_Viaggio_Estate_and_Winery Also, it's for sale.

Expect some news articles about how they were forced to close down thanks to the libs.

How isn't the response "yo dawg, you knew the law when you opened your property to be rented for events, get fucked"

It's like moving into an apartment above a bar and complaining about noise (yes I realize there are assholes in this world that do this).

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    So it looks like California's new AB5 (contractors being designated full time employees and getting vacation days and healthcare) is gonna become law. Good for uber drivers. Bad for uber. Possibly bad for other industries?

I work as a contractor. I bounce around between 4 or 5 different companies, work for a month, then move on to the next project. I'm paid well enough to cover my own health insurance and take vacations. It's really hard to know how this is gonna affect me. Apparently the onus is on the employer to prove these 3 things for me to remain a contractor -

1. That the worker is free from the control and direction of the hiring entity in connection with the performance of the work, both under the contract for the performance of the work and in fact;
    2. That the worker performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity's business; and
    3. That the worker is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation or business of the same nature as the work performed.

It seems like they won't be able to prove 1 or 2 very easily.

The whole law is strange to me. I'm not sure how these companies could provide my healthcare? Or do they only provide it for the 1 month of employment at a time?

Do you have your own company (s-corp/LLC/etc) or are you doing all these jobs as an individual?

There are exemptions in place for bona fide b2b relationships, which it sounds like you have.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I work as an individual. Some companies pay me with 1099. Some with W2. Maybe I should incorporate? I've talked about it with colleagues that have, but they don't really seem to have a clear view of the exact benefits...

(not that I'm trying to make this thread about me and how to get tax breaks. Discuss AB5 haha)

NotYou on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I work as an individual. Some companies pay me with 1099. Some with W2. Maybe I should incorporate? I've talked about it with colleagues that have, but they don't really seem to have a clear view of the exact benefits...

It's way outside my expertise but seems like the main benefits are tax stuff (but also more tax work) and limiting your liability, like if you got sued for some reason they couldn't attach all your personal accounts.

I dunno I couldn't find many articles talking about what the law actually says, legally (though I see found a lot of industry sponsored hit pieces saying this would KILL ALL CALIFORNIA BUSINESSES, etc), but it seems like people doing proper piecework, writing contacts, setting their own prices, etc, are probably going to be fine.

I wonder if you'll see businesses start to require people have their own corp and no longer contact with individuals as 1099s.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

It's way outside my expertise but seems like the main benefits are tax stuff (but also more tax work) and limiting your liability, like if you got sued for some reason they couldn't attach all your personal accounts.

I dunno I couldn't find many articles talking about what the law actually says, legally (though I see found a lot of industry sponsored hit pieces saying this would KILL ALL CALIFORNIA BUSINESSES, etc), but it seems like people doing proper piecework, writing contacts, setting their own prices, etc, are probably going to be fine.

I wonder if you'll see businesses start to require people have their own corp and no longer contact with individuals as 1099s.

The main benefit of incorporating yourself as a contractor is that you can separate out your “salary” from business income and expenses, which also decreases your federal and state income taxes and Social Security taxes.

The danger is that you need to be scrupulous about documenting everything and need to run things by an attorney because things can go south fast if you screw up.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So it looks like California's new AB5 (contractors being designated full time employees and getting vacation days and healthcare) is gonna become law. Good for uber drivers. Bad for uber. Possibly bad for other industries?

I work as a contractor. I bounce around between 4 or 5 different companies, work for a month, then move on to the next project. I'm paid well enough to cover my own health insurance and take vacations. It's really hard to know how this is gonna affect me. Apparently the onus is on the employer to prove these 3 things for me to remain a contractor -

1. That the worker is free from the control and direction of the hiring entity in connection with the performance of the work, both under the contract for the performance of the work and in fact;
    2. That the worker performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity's business; and
    3. That the worker is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation or business of the same nature as the work performed.

The whole law is strange to me. I'm not sure how these companies could provide my healthcare? Or do they only provide it for the 1 month of employment at a time?

I'm sure they have smart people writing the law, but from my completely unpracticed viewpoint, it seems like it'd be possible to create "contracting" shell companies to act as middlemen to provide a pretext for those points?

steam_sig.png
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

(not that I'm trying to make this thread about me and how to get tax breaks. Discuss AB5 haha)

@NotYou , I'm a CPA and I very much encourage you to contact a licensed CPA to give you an hour to go over potential tax savings strategies. But in general, 99% of the reason to incorporate is just liability shielding.

The main reason AB5 is a big deal is letting people demand a min wage and unemployment if they loose their source of income. If you have a number of different people you work for and you get to tell them what you charge (instead of going in and them telling you what they will pay like Uber and a bunch of "sales" jobs) you are likely a contractor.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I'm sure they have smart people writing the law, but from my completely unpracticed viewpoint, it seems like it'd be possible to create "contracting" shell companies to act as middlemen to provide a pretext for those points?

Those exist already; I'm on a contract position that requires me to be a W2 through a staffing company so I cant sue the company I actually perform work for for lack of benefits.

Its bullshit since the staffing company is taking a cut that the company I work for is clearly willing to pay which should otherwise go to me and I liked being a 1099, but when the proles feel like they can tell the boss man to go fuck themselves I guess its time for things to change.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The Trump administration is trying to remove the waiver in the Clean Air Act that allows California to set it's own auto emission standards. We'll see if it sticks, because there's no way this doesn't end up going in front of a judge.

edit- swapped to a link from the economy thread, since I'm pretty sure the SF Chronicle is pay walled these days.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/big-valley/article233551287.html

This is maybe one of the bigger deals that I haven't seen a whole lot of buzz about? Article is about the unemployment problems in the central valley, and how this bill will impact it, but it looks like the legislature is (fucking FINALLY) taking agriculture's water usage seriously.
    Water shortages, already the scourge of the Valley, are about to get worse. A powerful state law called the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act will curb access to water and shrink agriculture’s footprint in the next two decades. Thousands of acres will be turned into solar-energy farms and other non-agricultural uses. The long-term effect of climate change, meanwhile, will squeeze water supplies even more.

All of which suggests a bleak future for a region that is among America’s poorest. In July, the latest month for which national statistics were available, six of the ten highest metropolitan unemployment rates in the country were found in the Valley, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. The bureau’s records cover 389 metropolitan areas.

The groundwater law affects affects the whole state but will have its greatest impact in the Valley, where farmers pumped so much groundwater during the drought that the aquifers became seriously depleted and portions of the Valley floor literally sank.

Farmers will have to begin moving toward sustainability in January. They’ll have 20 years to complete the task, but the transition could be excruciating. Forecasters at the Public Policy Institute of California say at least 535,000 acres will be permanently retired. That’s about one-tenth of the irrigated farmland in a place that leads the nation in the production of milk, almonds, table grapes and a cornucopia of other commodities.

And that’s if things go well; the institute says the law could take out as many as 750,000 acres in the Valley unless farmers can augment their water supplies somehow.
    If clumped together, that would be enough land to cover all of the agricultural acreage in San Joaquin County, where farming is a $2.5 billion-a-year business.

Some Valley leaders say the problem might be far bigger than even the Public Policy Institute estimates. Jason Phillips, chief executive of the Friant Water Authority, which delivers water to farmers on the Valley’s east side from the federal government’s Central Valley Project, said as many as as 1 million acres could be retired under a worst-case scenario, with a disastrous effect on unemployment.

Jragghen on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Pumping all that ground water may have outright destroyed water storage, too. Once the land sinks that much I doubt the aquafir will refill..

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It won’t

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I want to see some legislation to cut off the water bottling companies from using the mountain springs for a pittance they then turn around and resell for a massive markup.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-power-shut-off-257-000-Bay-Area-residents-14500945.php
    Winds are expected to pick up and turn toward the coast late Tuesday night, bringing cool, dry gusts that could spread fires and prompt pre-emptive power shut-offs that leave up to more than a quarter-million Bay Area customers without electricity for days.

As I understand it this is a new policy -- they did it over in the eastern Sierra a few weeks ago.

I dunno if unpredictably cutting off power to huge regions of the state is better?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, PG&E seems to be saying "well, we don't want to PAY to protect the lines, so we'll just turn it off, instead. Cool?"

Which is just making me want the utility to be taken over by the state even more, frankly.

I'm not directly effected by it, but it's kinda ridiculous.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    so pay to maintain your lines so they work properly or rolling blackouts. I think both are pretty good indications that the state should either get a new company to run it or do it themselves as PG&E clearly cannot manage it.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm a bit perplexed that the actual solution to the danger of wildfires from breaking power lines is let's just not have electricity when it's windy and dry.
    I think I could handle it better if it was being put forth as a stopgap interim plan while something else is worked out. But that doesn't seem to be the story.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Shutting off the power when it's windy and dry is really stupid considering it's windy and dry ALL THE TIME.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    If only the billionaire geniuses could work on a solution for this instead of spending all their brain cells trying to find ways to get us addicted to our phones to generate more data to sell

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Its a bullshit move by PGE to get the State to absolve them from fire damages.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    If only the billionaire geniuses could work on a solution for this instead of spending all their brain cells trying to find ways to get us addicted to our phones to generate more data to sell

There are plenty of people working hard on this problem. Its just that the solution is "Bury the power lines" which is expensive.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Yeah I'm a bit perplexed that the actual solution to the danger of wildfires from breaking power lines is let's just not have electricity when it's windy and dry.
    I think I could handle it better if it was being put forth as a stopgap interim plan while something else is worked out. But that doesn't seem to be the story.

This seems to be a pretty clear case of malicious compliance.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »

This seems to be a pretty clear case of malicious compliance.

It does seem to be a bit insane. They are planning on turning off the power for up to a week it seems, and then it will have to be on and off for months while these winds blow. People are certainly going to die due to stop lights not working etc. It seems like there's no real net gain here. Either have forest fires maybe, or have people die and lose millions of dollars during power outages.

If they need to turn the lines off, then they need to build multi MWh local battery stations so that power can come back on as much as possible. Run specific lines which lead to the battery stations and give people power for a few hours a day at least

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    Last time this sort of thing happened, ca got the governator and a ton of total recall memes courtesy Enron. Think I still have one of the t-shirts.

I suspect it will be easier to find the proper target for blame this time around.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ReaperSMS wrote: »
    Last time this sort of thing happened, ca got the governator and a ton of total recall memes courtesy Enron. Think I still have one of the t-shirts.

I suspect it will be easier to find the proper target for blame this time around.

Oh cool, so you know where to find Gray Davis?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    ReaperSMS wrote: »

PG&E already has it's back to the wall with the upcoming trial, the bankruptcy stuff and god knows what else. No need to parcel out blame this time.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    The mitigation effect of turning off the power isn't nothing. That said, I feel like any other business whose primary solution to a product flaw is to stop doing business would be, well, out of business pretty fast.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So at what point does California just take over PG&E and call it a day?

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I can't even imagine how much it would cost to retrofit the entire grid.

Or even just the vulnerable parts. Maybe its less than I think, but I don't even know how to start making that estimate.

VishNub on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I can't even imagine how much it would cost to retrofit the entire grid.

Or even just the vulnerable parts. Maybe its less than I think, but I don't even know how to start making that estimate.

Sure, but this is work that should have been done over the last two decades during normal maintenance. They have been running with profits as a (near) monopoly utility while short changing proper saftey costs.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Growing up in Chico, the power would go out at least twice a year for a day or two. I can remember it going out long enough that all the food in our fridge would spoil about a dozen times. It was a reliable enough event that everyone kept a camper stovetop around if they didn't have a grill.

Sure, I would actually find that sort of unsurprising if Chico were as low population, or rural as some little mountain town way up in the Sierra Nevadas... it isn't. It's a super flat city in the valley that sees snow once every 3 decades that has two colleges and three hospitals, including the level 2 trauma hospital for that area of Northern California.

The rates they charge for electricity are absolutely insane. My bill up in Portland, OR is never over $150. That's with two people who work different hours, meaning there's lights and computers on all times of the day.

Walnut Creek, Concord, Richmond, Oakland, Pleasant Hill and San Mateo each for at least 6 months and in the case of Concord and Oakland, over 5 years I never saw a bill less than 200$ for significantly smaller apartments and in the case of all the locations near water they didn't even have AC. In Concord/Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek we routinely had bills over 300$ in the summer. Every time they'd come up with some new "smart meter" our bill would go up 10-20%.

PG&E has been hard fucking California for at least 40 years, probably longer. All assets should have been seized back during the Enron debacle.

Edit:

We had a transformer in our back yard EXPLODE one year because of a power fluctuation due to something happening at a substation. The technicians out there were standing in our back yard looking up at a blackened smoking pole very loudly talking about how it was a wonder that model had lasted as long as it had. It took them almost a week to allocate a crew to come up and replace it. It took down all the electricity on only our block so we all ferried food across the street to neighbors so it wouldn't go bad. It was actually kind of cool to meet people like that, but fuck PG&E.

Edit2: I actually knew a few people who worked at PG&E when I was a kid, they were as frustrated as everyone else it seemed.

dispatch.o on
    They also somehow didn't have enough foresight to see that there'd be a high demand for the address search and maps to see if your area may be affected and their website is barely working.
    Plus they pulled the more accurate address search function in lieu of just the general area maps. Local newspaper sites have taken it upon themselves to mirror the maps.

Our strategy was call neighbors and people we knew across town/other cities and ask "hey, is your power out? like it was the 1940's" well into the era of the internet.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    PG&E has been hard fucking California for at least 40 years, probably longer. All assets should have been seized back during the Enron debacle.

You can thank the California gubinatorial recall for why that didn't happen. Part of why the recall got pushed was to have the Enron fallout softpedaled.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

You can thank the California gubinatorial recall for why that didn't happen. Part of why the recall got pushed was to have the Enron fallout softpedaled.

There’s a direct line between Enron, the blackouts, the recall, and the collapse of the GOP in California.

Man that recall vote system was madness. I really don't understand how anyone ever thought it was a good idea to have a system that allows you to recall a governor with a majority and then win the governorship with a plurality in the low 20%.

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    The turning off power is ridiculous. Any utility that operates at ths high of a monopoly level is granted it on the premise it does its job, in this case provide power. If their solution is turning the power off then they are not doing the job and should be "fired". I don't care how much it eats into their bottom line, the have the responsibility of safely providing power. Bury the lines, retro fit it, whatever. It is your job to do these things. They didn't, so seize the corporate assets, jail the higher ups, and pass this on to somebody who can/will do the job.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
    Hey do you need electricity to keep yourself alive? Well you better get moving. Oh you can't?
    Well you can call 911 for an ambulance to the hospital. That'll be financially crippling? That sucks.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I especially love the part "use your own resources".

PG&E really loves its terror campaigns.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    How are people suppose to call 911 if power is out...

Every death and injury that results from this needs to be laid on PG&E in civil and criminal terms. This is completely a man made disaster that is a result of thier business decisions.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!