As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Update is out: taking the ps4 version for a spin.

How do PC users get those skins?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Ugh it’s unbelievably scummy that there’s no way to just buy the expansion pack for Rage 2. You have to pay for it with the games currency, do they want less people to buy it? Cos this is how you get less people to buy it, if you can’t even find the damn thing in your platforms storefront

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Breakdown of the new patch from reddit
    Quick rundown (tested on Switch):

THE GOOD:
    Lighting is pretty much vanilla parity now

The music is correct speed and pitch, possibly higher quality too [Corrective Edit thanks to u/SgtJackVisback] The music is a direct recording of an SC-55 Mk II midi device and thus is representative of Bobby Prince's original intentions

The 35fps/60hz split jutter seems to be nullified

The Bethesda.net option is now on the main menu instead of a pop up that locks you out of the game until a selection to login or not is made

THE BAD:
    The aspect ratio is still really wide/unchanged so still fat Doomguy and fat monsters/levels

while the music is good, it’s not SC-55 level midi (probably licensing, not a dealbreaker) [Corrective Edit thanks to u/SgtJackVisback] The music is a direct recording of an SC-55 Mk II midi device and thus is representative of Bobby Prince's original intentions

Online still not implemented in any capacity

NO REST FOR THE LIVING IS STILL ABSENT

THE UGLY:
    Still can’t switch back to fists after getting a chainsaw, so no full level berserk and no Revenant dancing

Lack of control options at all

edit: the aspect ratio is a huge bummer for me. Everything looks squished.

august on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ugh it’s unbelievably scummy that there’s no way to just buy the expansion pack for Rage 2. You have to pay for it with the games currency, do they want less people to buy it? Cos this is how you get less people to buy it, if you can’t even find the damn thing in your platforms storefront

My guess is this is because of the late addition to Steam. Originally it was Bethesda launcher only, so they built the game like this.

The new area feels like what was missing from the main game, like a proper last area. The new enemies are tough. I've pulled out the rocket launcher more times that usual in fights because they're more annoying than Immortals with blocking bullets, and I've actually seen one knock my wingstick out of the air with their own. They are more mobile than other enemies too. The new environment is more layered than the old areas, with new objective types. Aesthetically it's a lot like the tiny 4 block part in the jungle area where the two Crushers are. But so small - it's smaller than Vineland. I'm hoping it's more densely packed with stuff to do.

So far is more Rage 2.

-Loki- wrote: »

My guess is this is because of the late addition to Steam. Originally it was Bethesda launcher only, so they built the game like this.

The new area feels like what was missing from the main game, like a proper last area. The new enemies are tough. I've pulled out the rocket launcher more times that usual in fights because they're more annoying than Immortals with blocking bullets, and I've actually seen one knock my wingstick out of the air with their own. They are more mobile than other enemies too. The new environment is more layered than the old areas, with new objective types. Aesthetically it's a lot like the tiny 4 block part in the jungle area where the two Crushers are. But so small - it's smaller than Vineland. I'm hoping it's more densely packed with stuff to do.

So far is more Rage 2.

I’m fine with more rage 2. I grabbed it tho I can’t figure out how to start the dlc?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

So far is more Rage 2.

I’m fine with more rage 2. I grabbed it tho I can’t figure out how to start the dlc?

Drive around for a bit (I've heard the best way to trigger it is to go to a town and drive out, worked for me leaving Wellspring), you'll get a radio message and after that you'll get a new mission icon appear.

edited September 2019
    There’s nothing like slow motion force pushing someone so hard you see their skull break into pieces in slow mo

I like how the metro gets more populated the more missions you do and you have like people making repairs and additions and opening up shops.

Prohass on
    I've just been exploring a bit, and grabbed the new gun. I'll start doing missions, I figured like the base game there wouldn't be many.

edited September 2019
    There’s not many but it’s quite a neat little story so far, I’m enjoying it.

Once again though they make the mistake of not giving you the new gun immediately. It’s the same problem with the core game, 90% of people don’t actually end up finding new guns and abilities cos the game squirrels them away

Prohass on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0agE2wQX48I

I've seen some dumb meme levels before but I actually had a good laugh on this one once I realized what it was going for.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm gonna be going to id software's offices on the 17th to playtest a game for Bethesda! I can't say what it is. I don't even know what it is yet (probably, hopefully, Doom Eternal) but even after I find out I can't say what it is. I can't talk about what I see while there. I have to sign an NDA. I have to put my phone up in a locker when I get there. I can talk about my general experience and whatever swag they decide to give me if at all, but that's it. Either way I'll keep you guys posted after it happens and let you know what it was like.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Well I'm about to be fairly unhappy.

So when the Doom Slayer McFarlane figure was announced this was what was initially being promoted
    MT11107_L.JPG
    Looks amazing right? I pre-ordered immediately.

Then after some time had passed they eventually showed a sculpt of what the actual figure would look like.
    0b332e09-1e09-47a8-b2a2-6ef9e1d787f9.png
    Oh okay, I'm good with this. It turns out we are getting the Eternal version of the Doom Slayer instead of the 2016 version. Still on board.

Closer to release new promotional images are shown.
    afe2838b-5e09-463a-89fc-c7a72dcc728c.png
    It looks like the same figure, just missing some of the finer details and most of the paint highlights. I understand that between prototypes and the final production models that it's common for collectables to lose some quality and detail, but I'm starting to get a little annoyed.

Now, just before the figure comes out in a few days pictures of the final packaging are starting to make it online.
    d92436cb-cb27-4484-859c-376638fd694a.jpg
    What the damn hell?! Come on!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ouch.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    You're gonna finally get the figure and it'll be a perfect reproduction of the Doom 3 marine, polygons and all.

Open up the packaging and it will have transformed into a Perler Bead figure of the original Doomguy sprite

BloodySloth on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    haha Oh, Bethesda. At it again. *sad trombone noise*

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Damn. This was gonna be my FPS purchase this year. Well, it always struck me as odd that they would release 3 "big" titles in one year (Wolf:YB, Rage 2 and Doom:E). I figure this gives me time to check out Rage 2's DLC.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'd rather them delay it and get it out correctly than release a bugged out mess.

But they're kinda rubbing up on Cyberpunks release and as strong as Doom is, I don't think they want to go anywhere near that.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, one delay doesn't bother me, and a delay window that long means time to actually work on a lot of things.

DOOM '16 is one of my favorite FPS games in a long while, I'm totally willing to see Eternal delayed to make sure I'm not disappointed.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I don't mind a delay at all, far better to get it right first time and all that, but yeah March next year is an absolute murder's row of releases, not just Cyberpunk but FF7R, hot on the heels of Last of Us 2 etc. And for me Bloodlines 2 is a hot one as well.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's Mcfarlane Toys, they do this crap all the time. Not sure why you're blaming the rights holder for something a licensee did, unless you're talking about them choosing to work with Mcfarlane in the first place which is a whole other ball of wax. This is a very common practice in the toy industry btw (not that it makes it any less shitty of a practice).

If I were you @The_Spaniard I'd just get the gold one and call it a day.

Oh and figure is already out. I saw it at Gamestop on friday while hunting for Triple Force Friday toys.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's Mcfarlane Toys, they do this crap all the time. Not sure why you're blaming the rights holder for something a licensee did, unless you're talking about them choosing to work with Mcfarlane in the first place, which is a whole other ball of wax. This is a very common practice in the toy industry btw.

If I were you @The_Spaniard I'd just get the gold one and call it a day.

Oh and figure is already out. I saw it at Gamestop on friday while hunting for Triple Force Friday toys.

Oh I thought it was a collectors edition pre order thing like the fallout bag

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    So it's the wait that's going to be the 'Eternal' part.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Wait, so did they push up the November release date of Doom 64 on Switch to coincide with all the other platforms? That's kinda shitty!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I feel really good about this delay.

Doom Eternal seems like a very ambitious game. Like brazenly ambitious, in terms of what they intend to expand on.

I shudder to imagine what it might play like on its original release timeline.

edited October 2019
    Yeah, if id thinks the game needs four more months of work, then I definitely don't want to play the version that would have been ready in November.

That said, I think launching without the new MP mode is a bit worrying. I don't think that mode will do well if it's not in at launch. People will get the game, beat the campaign and likely have moved on to something else by the time Invasion drops.

EDIT: Whoops, got Invasion mixed up with Battle Mode, though that's even more baffling as not having invasions in the game when the most amount of people are playing the campaign is a super weird decision.

Undead Scottsman on
    I could more easily live with the delay if they just gave the people that pre-ordered their copy of Doom 64 early to tide them over. I can wait an extra 4 months if I had the option of ripping and tearing through the Doom game I never got to play growing up because it came out on a console I didn't own.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    They don’t say when Invasion Mode will drop. With this amount of lead time, it could be, like, a week, or even a day one thing. Unlikely, but not impossible either. I don’t really know how long the tail was on Doom 2016. I could easily imagine an intention for the core game to stand on its own, and then have Invasion Mode release later as a way to spice things up for players who want more out of their replay/game plus experience.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The Invasion mode honestly sounds more interesting to me than the multiplayer stuff they kept pushing with DOOM '16. I always enjoy a good asymmetrical MP experience and it won't feel bad to lose as the demons because you're up against Doomguy, who is supposed to kill all the demons.

Also will fit in well with the game design being a series of combat arenas; much easier to figure out where to plug players in for a system like that.

The Invasion mode honestly sounds more interesting to me than the multiplayer stuff they kept pushing with DOOM '16. I always enjoy a good asymmetrical MP experience and it won't feel bad to lose as the demons because you're up against Doomguy, who is supposed to kill all the demons.

Also will fit in well with the game design being a series of combat arenas; much easier to figure out where to plug players in for a system like that.

Invasion is people entering other people's campaign playthroughs, Darksouls style.

The multiplayer in 2019 is the asynchronous Battle Mode stuff.

Invasion is people entering other people's campaign playthroughs, Darksouls style.

The multiplayer in 2019 is the asynchronous Battle Mode stuff.

I thought you invaded as the demons, though?

Unless the Invasion stuff is just a way to say c-op, because that's hardly a downside.

You do play as demons when you invade, but we don't know much more than that.

There's also an asynchronous MP mode called Battlemode where one kitted out Doomslayer fights against two players playing as demons.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Kind of bummed about the delay to be honest. But as long as it knocks my socks off it will be worth the wait.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I’m a little sad about the delay as well but that’s okay.

I have the same issue as others have stated before. It’s close to the Cyberpunk release (although I’ve got money on a delay) which kinda sucks.

Honestly nowadays every game is close to another big game. I’m super bummed but I already have a million other things to play in the meantime so it’s all good

Sucks about doom 64 tho, altho it’s good that it’s coming out on all consoles I was under the impression it was a Nintendo exclusive

There's also an asynchronous MP mode called Battlemode where one kitted out Doomslayer fights against two players playing as demons.

Ah, well, that's two MP modes that I'm already more interested in than the one from DOOM '16, which is A-OK with me.

In particular that it's two demons against the Doomslayer, because me and my brother love the game and I'm hoping that mode will be a lot of fun.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm very much looking forward to a 2nd playthrough with invasion enabled

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Pardon the pedantry, but I'm pretty sure you mean Asymmetrical.

Asynchronous Doom would be... like, turn based play by email or something.

Which, I guess in a way means the Critical Failures subforum has played asynchronous Doom (the board game), though that might be so far back it was still called Of Dice and Men or whatever the old school name was...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Nope, you're totally correct, I was using the wrong word.