As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That would be a negative, Ghostrider. As you learned, if acetone is involved the plastic melts tout suite.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Tried all of that before I went for the chemicals. It was not gonna budge

It could have a cryo plastic glue as it's basically welded together then

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    No, it's only superglue. The Gorilla line doesn't have any plastic cements as far as I know.

When it comes to parts that would have plenty of nice contact points and not easy to grip to apply force and try and separate, I'd put terminator front and back pieces as pretty far up there for 'those aren't coming apart again.' It's things like limbs, or pieces you can apply some sort of torsional force to that are the easiest to get off again. With front and back body pieces, you don't have any good way to work except in the directions the glue bond will be the strongest.

*edit* Or any really good places to work a hobby knife in and try to pry it apart. Take that relatively small piece, hold onto it tight with one hand, use the other to really try and jam that razor sharp knife right into that minimal seam! WCGW?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Been experimenting with doing a Nighthaunt army and this is the test mini!

Aqshy Nighthaunts! I wanted them to be fiery without actually been on fire. To that end, I did the robes smokey with lots of dots of burning embers trailing behind them.

cDq6uq4.jpg
    lQOV432.jpg
    yW9Wnzh.jpg

Goal was to get a miniature that I could paint very quickly with contrast paints and highlights... a mini that I can paint during my lunch breaks or for 20 minutes or so before i leave at the end of the day, essentially.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    edited October 2019
    ALSO

SOME MINIS I CANNOT PAINT QUICKLY

Vigga Voidcleaver, Huscarl of Harald Deathwolf, and the Brothers Ragnarok, the Ruin-kin.

ixVJn3v.jpgcLX3MfY.jpg
    Gf9ItT7.jpg

With this I'm finally done with the minis from the Tooth and Claw box. Converting every Marine in that set was a lot of fun.

Matrias on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ok those guys look fucking badass and I don’t say stuff like that often. Damn.
    I even have the marine half of T&C unassembled around here somewhere…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Ok those guys look fucking badass and I don’t say stuff like that often. Damn.
    I even have the marine half of T&C unassembled around here somewhere…

i've been posting my minis here a long time, you DON'T say stuff like that often!

when i was assembling the Aggressors the best discovery i made was finding that the spare pelts from the venerable kit fit pver their shoulder pads almost perfectly.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Some random person started talking to me when I went to pick up some brushes at michaels. That kind of thing always weird me out.

Instead of working on a current paint project I'm cleaning off old tyranids from the battle of macragge and I'm gonna practice a cell shaded paint scheme so I feel more prepared doing the cell shaded Maliwan scheme on my Tau.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    @valhalla130 for resizing photos: http://www.justresizeit.com/

I know the site looks iffy, but it's legit and does exactly what it says on the tin.

one more to cap off the weekend.

so this is the best model i've ever made.

Vosla Dreadeye, the Lurking Shadow, Huscarl to Harald Deathwolf
    VnQECHb.jpg
    CLVfKgI.jpg
    bd6gSls.jpg

i probably took photos too soon. ended up shading the base terrain some more and adding a spot of purple to the bionic eye but can't be assed importing new photos.

edited October 2019
    Matrias wrote: »
    one more to cap off the weekend.

so this is the best model i've ever made.

Vosla Dreadeye, the Lurking Shadow, Huscarl to Harald Deathwolf
    VnQECHb.jpg
    CLVfKgI.jpg
    bd6gSls.jpg

i probably took photos too soon. ended up shading the base terrain some more and adding a spot of purple to the bionic eye but can't be assed importing new photos.

Where is that head from?

You make me feel ashamed for not doing more conversion work on my Space Wolves.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited October 2019
    forge world deathsworn kit

edit:
    eh, i get away with it because my bitz box is swollen with years of freebie models working for a geedubs licencor.

that said, i strongly believe you can't call a model a Space Wolf without 2 out of 3:
    - beard/crazy hairdo
    - a close combat weapon
    - bitz of a dead animal.

Matrias on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    great take on that mini, man

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited October 2019

edit:
    eh, i get away with it because my bitz box is swollen with years of freebie models working for a geedubs licencor.

that said, i strongly believe you can't call a model a Space Wolf without 2 out of 3:
    - beard/crazy hairdo
    - a close combat weapon
    - bitz of a dead animal.

Yea, I think lack of bits is what puts me off. All my Space Marines are from the Grey Hunter box but then I have tons of Primaris that I glued their helmets in because I hate painting faces.

I keep telling myself just the paint scheme will be enough but then I never paint them because I do want to convert them. I need a good and fast way to make fur from green stuff.

Also, were you able to get that deathsworn head by itself?

I am starting to feel the urge to paint though and I feel like I should capitalize on it but I don't know what to paint. I feel like I need to finish one of the 5 projects I have going.

Stragint on

Stragint wrote: »

edit:

- beard/crazy hairdo
    - a close combat weapon
    - bitz of a dead animal.

Yea, I think lack of bits is what puts me off. All my Space Marines are from the Grey Hunter box but then I have tons of Primaris that I glued their helmets in because I hate painting faces.

I keep telling myself just the paint scheme will be enough but then I never paint them because I do want to convert them. I need a good and fast way to make fur from green stuff.

I am starting to feel the urge to paint though and I feel like I should capitalize on it but I don't know what to paint. I feel like I need to finish one of the 5 projects I have going.

Like many of the things from aos/40k and so on you can find the parts on ebay it's just a waiting game with what your are willing to pay

I have things I want to paint but I lack certain colors {highlights certain base colors and such] it's just a debate and a self doubt that prevents me from getting them

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    "Why good afternoon you fine fellows! Have you heard the word of Grandfather Nurgle?"

G2obleX.jpg?1

Trying to figure out how to take photos again. Hi I'm still alive and painting! Also PS slow tf down Matrias or I'ma break my mouse button from slamming awesome too many times.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    @valhalla130 for resizing photos: http://www.justresizeit.com/

I know the site looks iffy, but it's legit and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Thanks!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm going to sit down for the first time in months and do some painting this weekend...I pray they come out not like ass

Bucketman wrote: »
    I'm going to sit down for the first time in months and do some painting this weekend...I pray they come out not like ass

We all learn at different paces look at the farseer i painted long ago and the one i did one night in the opening page

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Never forget Duncan's first Marine:

ivahqO1.jpg

You don't have to strive for perfection, only for progress.

Brainleech wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

We all learn at different paces look at the farseer i painted long ago and the one i did one night in the opening page

This is the rust effect I went with. Use whatever metallic color, layer with Typhus corrosion, dry brush ryza rust, and then add some highlights with the metallic color.

gun6dme3ks3w.jpg

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Salient to stragints post... Any suggestions on an easy rust effect? I found one for Vallejo but it involves like four powdered products and a basecoat

Was really hoping to find a one-and-done rust product that isn't quite as bright orange as the GW method.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Khraul wrote: »
    Salient to stragints post... Any suggestions on an easy rust effect? I found one for Vallejo but it involves like four powdered products and a basecoat

Was really hoping to find a one-and-done rust product that isn't quite as bright orange as the GW method.

Do you want acrylic paints or enamel?
    And how crazy do you want to get?

edited October 2019

Acrylic preferably... Just something simple and easy to apply, but more of a red/brown rust than a bright orange

I saw the below on reddit and would like to do something similar.

gfxuse41i2zm.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6

Acrylic preferably... Just something simple and easy to apply, but more of a red/brown rust than a bright orange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3V8bo11f0
    the chatty girl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMb6YfXwJPg
    and so on

As a side I noticed someone whom I do follow on youtube and such is going back and removing a title card of he was a founding member of the a certain silly goose's legion
    I am curious as to why

I saw the below on reddit and would like to do something similar.

gfxuse41i2zm.jpg

The only fast and easy way to do it I've seen is from Midwinter minis but even then it was a corroded look mixing nuln oil and Typhus corrosion.

You also don't have to use an orange for the dry brush like I did for mine. Use what ever color you imagine the rust looking like on the models.

For reference if you'd like to see it, this is the video. He does the corrosion painting starting at about 4:15, couldn't figure out how to time stamp a video on my phone.

https://youtu.be/gMpkklqhs2U

I really like the way that looks @Stragint

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited October 2019

hah, no, i had to buy the whole kit of those fuckers for this project. i used 1 head for this LT, 3 more on my reivers, with a 4th head held in reserve for a special occasion

i gave all their axes to reivers and have been using the deathsworn armour as trade currency to get special models (like the Space wolf from Kill Team Cassius).

Matrias on
    that said, i strongly believe you can't call a model a Space Wolf Also, were you able to get that deathsworn head by itself?

hah, no, i had to buy the whole kit of those fuckers for this project. i used 1 head for this LT, 3 more on my reivers, with a 4th head held in reserve for a special occasion

i gave all their axes to reivers and have been using the deathsworn armour as trade currency to get special models (like the Space wolf from Kill Team Cassius).

He is the cheapest one to get on ebay He was on average around $7 now $11

edited October 2019

I might try doing that, I love those heads.

Had anyone used the green stuff world fur press thing? I'm trying to find an easy way to do fur and it seems good but I'm not sure.

Also, why is necrotite green impossible to find in the wild?

Stragint on

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    As somebody who runs screaming at the thought of freehand painting anything I was pretty proud of this eye I did on an old chaos sorcerer's staff

76b7b4nls36a.png

Damn, that's nice!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, paint adjacent question here, I'm going to be making some 'Crons soon, and for gluing the green rod in specifically it was recommended I use PVA glue, but I don't really have any. Rather than just try and use a minimal amount of superglue should I just skip the rods until after I get some?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    So, paint adjacent question here, I'm going to be making some 'Crons soon, and for gluing the green rod in specifically it was recommended I use PVA glue, but I don't really have any. Rather than just try and use a minimal amount of superglue should I just skip the rods until after I get some?

I would not use superglue or plastic glue as it makes the clearish plastic of the rods ugly
    You can make your own white glue though if you are in a pinch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrfspCalb0

Superglue can fume as it dries and cloud transparent plastic. That's why there's special glue for using on things like canopies and windows. It really depends on the glue type though. I just use a little dab of super glue in the holding point for my necron rods and never had any clouding issues.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm making a display board for my beastclaw raiders out of a thin metal sheet and a picture frame. What glue would be best to glue the metal to the wooden frame?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Superglue can fume as it dries and cloud transparent plastic. That's why there's special glue for using on things like canopies and windows. It really depends on the glue type though. I just use a little dab of super glue in the holding point for my necron rods and never had any clouding issues.
    Hey, care to elaborate on that one?
    Alternatively, will polymer glue work?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm making a display board for my beastclaw raiders out of a thin metal sheet and a picture frame. What glue would be best to glue the metal to the wooden frame?

2 part epoxy if you want to make sure the metal stays fixed to the wood.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Reactor online.
    Sensors online.
    Weapons online
    All systems nominal.

BT_wolverine.jpg

BT_wolverine_turn.gif

Picked up the Battletech starter a while ago. It's always been a universe I've been super into, but always turned off by the ancient tabletop models. The new stuff's real nice though!

website_header.jpg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hmm, fun thoughts ... Running total cost* so far on boat model:
    Actual model itself - $80
    Photo etch details - $50
    Tools for photo etch - $120? $130 maybe?
    1/700 Bofors cannons and deck guns - $70
    ---
    $320, with anything yet required for the base (as well as probably the odd bit of paint) yet to come. On the plus side, the tools aren't a recurring cost. ;P

* - Prices in Canadian, so just assume my fun money is worthless

ArcticLancer on