As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[YouTube] Thread in the PA Test Kitchen

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That one vape rig I saw didnt look futuristic at all it looked like what somebody on the Nostromo would vape with

The Nostromo was built in the year 2101 as a cruiser before it was refitted 15 years later as a hauler.

• Options
    Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Vape my corpse when I die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLw2lyLnA8

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    are there steampunk vapes

there are steampunk vapes arent there

Actually, surprisingly enough there aren't any!
    I lied, there's a ton of them

315db2e24cac0eb71aa919c8f7a4bbea.jpg

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Counterprograming to every time this thread has to bring up the latest Pewdiepie nonsense.

Fantano being good actually:
    uMG8HU6.jpg

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That one vape rig I saw didnt look futuristic at all it looked like what somebody on the Nostromo would vape with

The Nostromo was built in the year 2101 as a cruiser before it was refitted 15 years later as a hauler.

I am sorry my friend but all this you describe is a work of fiction

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you're a work of fiction!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Counterprograming to every time this thread has to bring up the latest Pewdiepie nonsense.

uMG8HU6.jpg

That's nice to see - he definitely went through a spell where he was kind of walking a fine line with trolling and alt-right memes

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    you're a work of fiction!

Oh.....

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

uMG8HU6.jpg

That's nice to see - he definitely went through a spell where he was kind of walking a fine line with trolling and alt-right memes

It really seems like he just has a giant fanbase of 4channers, specifically /mu/ posters. If anything Fantano is a constant leftist voice getting in the ear of people who probably really need to consume something besides racist memes.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    the Disturbed cover is not good

also the lead singer is such a massive shitstain that even if it was decent I wouldn't be able to enjoy it

I saw Disturbed live back in 2016 (my brother paid for the tickets and I like their older stuff shut up) and at one point between songs, Draiman went into this little "All Lives Matter" type monologue before they played "Indestructible", you know, the song about how you should respect the troops or we'll fucking kill you

The best part is, immediately after the song, Draiman stopped again and like, backed up and amended his statement, I assume so he wouldn't get too much shit for it later

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    He's an asshole right winger

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm really happy I quit smoking before this vaping phenomenon became widespread

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Psykoma wrote: »

I finally watched this, and at the end, all I had to say was yikes. This is easily one of Ellis' worst videos, in large part because she got so focused on her thesis that she doesn't take a moment to pause and look at what she's actually saying.

(Detailed analysis/complaint under the fold.)
    The best place to start is at the end, where she points out that media criticism is about looking at media as it is, and not ignoring the distasteful aspects of it. Which, okay, that's true - but on the same token, Disney is not engaging in media criticism - they're remaking films for a modern audience, with media criticism being a small sidebar to that goal. When the two conflict, the latter is necessarily going to give way because Disney is in the business of mass media production, not media criticism. There's also her choice of words at the end - "aged poorly" - which to me reflects a certain point of view that misses the entirety of the issue.

That's not to say that she's completely wrong - in fact she gets a lot right, which is what makes the bad parts stick out more. Disney is (for the most part) going to present sanitized stories that don't challenge structural issues but instead give us explicit villains corrupting the order. (And as she points out, Maleficent bucked the trend by actually engaging in those structural criticisms in its story, which is why it works in ways the other live action films don't.) Disney is also only going to ever perform mild criticism of itself or society, because it's not going to hold a true critical eye because that would be bad for business - and therein lies the petard by which Ellis hoists herself, most notably in her criticism of the live action Dumbo.

There are two complaints that she makes about it that stood out to me for their tonedeafness. The first is her complaint about the removal of the pink elephants scene where Dumbo accidentally gets drunk. The problem here is that she avoids talking about the actual meaning of the scene (and thus why a modern version of the scene would not fly.) Pink elephants in our culture have historically been associated with alcoholism and alcohol abuse, with the implication/gag being that Dumbo's accidental drinking leading potentially to ruin. Fundamentally, the scene is a well animated version of 80's era "scared straight" anti-drug ads. Today, though, we have a more nuanced view of alcoholism, where it is no longer acceptable to treat alcoholism as the punchline to a gag (see also: the failure of the Russell Brand Arthur remake a few years prior.) As such, an entire scene built on the gag of "look how zany alcohol induced delirium is!" is not going to read well - which is why the scene is reduced to a single reference done in a way to avoid the reference to alcoholism. Ellis further compounded the issue with her lead in, dismissing modern issues with alcoholism as joke/gag fodder with the term "abrasive to modern viewers", which feels like a dismissal of how modern audiences would read something like this.

This leads to the yikes part of the video - her section on Dumbo's minstrelry scene. Ellis pretty much points it out clearly - the segments with the crows are animated blackface, with mostly white actors playing stereotypical minstrel characters who sing a jazz styled song written by a white composer. The problem is that she then argues that Disney choosing to omit the whole part is somehow an affront, that it's whitewashing the history of Dumbo. (Do note that she makes this argument after punting herself on how to respectfully depict it, which further illustrates the bind Disney was in here.) I was reminded of a controversy over Huck Finn a few years back, where several schools, in response to feedback from black students, began using versions that omitted the use of racist language, in particular a certain word banned here. You had (predominantly white) people arguing that the modified versions were an affront to freedom of speech, and that students need to understand that language existing - while black students and their advocates pointed out that they knew what those words meant (mainly from hearing them directed at them), that their white peers would use the book as a justification/shield for racist attacks, and that the exposure to such literary racism was part of what caused them to disconnect from school. Ellis' position here strikes me as being similar to the argument made by the former - that the live action Dumbo needs to have a reference to incredibly racist behavior because it's "part of the movie's DNA". Her comment on "If I Saw An Elephant Fly" being tame further compounds things, as the song is still a minstrel song - with all the baggage that entails - no matter how "tame".

Even when she has a solid point, this sort of myopia still causes issues. In a later segment, she talks about the problem of ostensibly diverse films being helmed by white male producers and directors - which is a real problem! Bringing up Guy Ritchie directing Aladdin, Ellis comments "Was all of Bollywood busy?" - which pretty much undermines the impact of the point. Bollywood is actually bigger than Hollywood in certain aspects and is very much its own thing separate from Hollywood and not reliant on it - and basically treating it as the Hollywood minor leagues is yet more of the same sort of myopia that fueled the above "yikes" elements.

In short, while Ellis does have a good point about the problem with Disney not really challenging the structural aspects of their stories, she also exhibits a myopia regarding how certain elements read today that leads her to make tonedeaf proposals that undermine her overall point.
    It's no longer acceptable to treat alcoholism as a punchline? Literally every comedy I have ever seen that includes drinking includes alcoholism as a punchline. I also don't understand how the sequence even mocks alcoholism. A quick Google didn't pull up anyone being offended by it, which is not to say that there is absolutely nobody who is, but I'm completely positive what was considered abrasive to modern is a baby getting smashed. With what we know now about the damage from alcohol it's pretty edgy. And hot take with regard to "scared straight" across the decades: anti-alcohol messages in children's media are good.

The crows are completely different from n-word controversies. Mark Twain with "slave" used euphemistically is still Mark Twain. The crows as characters are central to the plot of the original Dumbo, and the song is not racist when you take it out of the original context, it's just rhymes. And even if you're concerned about the pitfalls of merely modifying the original, they replaced it with...absolutely nothing. Oh and the feather he randomly gets is white now, great job guys.

The reference to Bollywood is not at all implying Bollywood is Hollywood's b-team, it's pointing out that there are many non-white directors with extensive experience doing musicals if you maybe look outside of LA.

In conclusion, I'm baffled that any of these things made you mad enough to write a post about it.

Coinage on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

I am sorry my friend but all this you describe is a work of fiction

The future is only a work of fiction until it happens, man.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

uMG8HU6.jpg

It really seems like he just has a giant fanbase of 4channers, specifically /mu/ posters. If anything Fantano is a constant leftist voice getting in the ear of people who probably really need to consume something besides racist memes.

He did have a podcast thing with Sargon at one point but I think that was in the period where it was Sargon was still generally given plausible deniability as a "classical liberal" intellectual so I don't feel like holding it against him

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    do they make vape rigs that look like giant old meerschaum pipes

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

If I remember correctly the confession at 0:50 is because Arnold got blamed for the other 3 dudes, then just straight stone-faced them when they asked him not to snitch. He also stone-faced the principal up until they came crashing in to confess.

Arnold kept it real.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    A Cruel Angel's Thesis ( Neon Genesis Evangelion OP synthwave retro 80s remix) 4:32
    https://youtu.be/q8Y9rH-XvAw

Platina Jazz - Come, Sweet Death (from ”Neon Genesis Evangelion”) 5:13
    https://youtu.be/wRMkOY9OrbU

Peas on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Holy fucking shit.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

Disturbed has been a longtime guilty pleasure of mine

but this fucking unequivocally rules

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Did this get posted?

https://youtu.be/5mHSHmk_UU4

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Did this get posted?

https://youtu.be/5mHSHmk_UU4

He needs to do the Game Boy Color sewing machine next. (Yes, this is a thing that actually existed - it used the GBC as an interface/controller for automatic stitching.)

But really, these devices predicted the boom in smartphone based tools - the ability to convert a pocket sized device into a number of different tools by attaching accessories was always an attractive one, it's just that the GB just didn't have the horsepower.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    in which Claire lets a small child make questionable but still safe chemical consumption choices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppi0khS0s_8

• Options
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkZ9Eq0DQqQ

Slow mo guys are famous apparently

Gavin was exceedingly star struck the entire video

Psykoma on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    do they make vape rigs that look like giant old meerschaum pipes

This is the kind of question that answers itself.

My vape rig is shaped like a person smoking a meerschaum pipe.*

(Also, and I mean this in absolutely the nicest way possible: if your worst example of (late stage) capitalism is vaping, you are living a truly blessed life, and should give thanks to whatever deity you believe in for said blessed life).

*I don't vape. But man, if I did..

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the condescension, I need a good ego check every couple of days

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Wow, that part sounds a lot like a bit of Queen's Who Wants to Live Forever.

Ruggero Leoncavallo had a time machine confirmed.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    When they get to Fatal Frame 3ds/Zero or Maiden of Black Water I would watch as those were the only two Fatal Frame games I did play

Also I was quite confused about Maiden of Black Water as I looked in vain for a physical copy of the game only to find out in the US was a eshop game {shows how often I used the WiiU eshop}

Brainleech on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    https://youtu.be/3LkIr-pkuho

Oh now I understand why he was replaced as War Machine, because he's insane.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.