As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Uh...there are a bunch of numbers on the bottom. I am trying to google the answer.

It's a pretty typical office touchtone phone.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    This week is homecoming so also spirit week. This partially explains why I am currently at work dressed like Marty McFly.

Has anyone told you "Hello!"?

No because this school sucks and only like 6 other staff bothered any kind of dressing up and I'm very depressed about it right now.

I can never participate and still be able to do my job. I'm angry at all the people in your school that could do something fun but aren't.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    It's a M5208 phone.

Looking up the manual online right now.

Answering the phone is distressing enough as it is.

• Options
    Taya wrote: »
    Uh...there are a bunch of numbers on the bottom. I am trying to google the answer.

It's a pretty typical office touchtone phone.

The Cisco IP phones usually have a pretty easy to find and navigate settings menu or or button.

The old Nortel phones (I hope nobody but my old job on the coast still uses those) were less intuitive.

Steam
  • Options
    Taya wrote: »
    It's a M5208 phone.

Looking up the manual online right now.

Answering the phone is distressing enough as it is.

Oh shit, that's a Nortel. Umm, yeah a manual is going to be your best bet. I might be able to re-figure it all out if I had the unit physically in front of me...

It's something like Feature * 6 and then you can cycle through the tones somehow, I think?

Steam
  • Options
    I found a manual online which was not helpful at all, but messing around with * seemed to fix it.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Well I have been fired. But... ADA may be a factor here, since my boss didn't bring up my OCD or request for reasonable accommodations with HR. (He said I should talk to HR but hey they've already fired me... I have until Friday to sort this out, aka my last day.)

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    God I hate good Samaritans.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    God I hate good Samaritans.

Ok lets here some stories. I could go for that today.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    This week is homecoming so also spirit week. This partially explains why I am currently at work dressed like Marty McFly.

No because this school sucks and only like 6 other staff bothered any kind of dressing up and I'm very depressed about it right now.

I can never participate and still be able to do my job. I'm angry at all the people in your school that could do something fun but aren't.

I largely got over it by eating a bunch of chocolate. Tomorrow is “dream job” day and from asking around it seems like there will be more staff participation.

I will, of course, be a Ghostbuster. I need to do my preliminary sweep of the school for ghosts before the boo bash in two weeks when I bring the full gear.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    It's never anything interesting. It's always someone calling the ambulance on someone laying on the sidewalk, like they think we can turn their life around. What's usually the case is they just left the hospital and got some more heroin/meth/whatever. They don't actually care about the problem, they just don't want to see it.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Well I have been fired. But... ADA may be a factor here, since my boss didn't bring up my OCD or request for reasonable accommodations with HR. (He said I should talk to HR but hey they've already fired me... I have until Friday to sort this out, aka my last day.)

I’m really sorry, that’s totally unfair and shitty

I hope ada is a factor, and good luck handling all of that!

• Options
    It's never anything interesting. It's always someone calling the ambulance on someone laying on the sidewalk, like they think we can turn their life around. What's usually the case is they just left the hospital and got some more heroin/meth/whatever. They don't actually care about the problem, they just don't want to see it.

Well...what am I supposed to do in this situation? If I make contact and determine that emergency medical services beyond my training are required, what should I do instead?

Or, like, people just call to report somebody laying on the sidewalk, and the caller is not on scene when you arrive?

Steam
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Breaking in a new security guard. It's always a delicate process trying to teach them the difference between "weird and antisocial" and "weird and antisocial enough to be asked to leave the library."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Well...what am I supposed to do in this situation? If I make contact and determine that emergency medical services beyond my training are required, what should I do instead?

Or, like, people just call to report somebody laying on the sidewalk, and the caller is not on scene when you arrive?

You can ask them if they want help first. EMS will transport anyone to the hospital for liability reasons.

The dude that caused me to bitch is now gone. Someone saw him walking funny on the street and drove him here to be seen. He diarrhea'd on our floor in the triage area and walked out. Didn't even finish triage. Thanks lady. She's probably at home telling her family about what a good person she was today.

TheStig on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Did you all know that if a catheter hose is not attached to a bag, there's going to be a bit of a mess?

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

I largely got over it by eating a bunch of chocolate. Tomorrow is “dream job” day and from asking around it seems like there will be more staff participation.

I will, of course, be a Ghostbuster. I need to do my preliminary sweep of the school for ghosts before the boo bash in two weeks when I bring the full gear.

I love, love, love spirit days, so one of the biggest drags of being itinerant is that it is almost impossible for me to easily participate in said spirit days because every school has different homecoming and spirit weeks. It's pretty poop. So I am additionally aggravated at teachers who do not dress up when they totally can! It's fun! Enjoy life!

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Gave my two weeks on Monday, starting a new gig on the 21st. Shorter commute, more money, better title, gonna get some supervisory experience, should be lower stress too.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    Did you all know that if a catheter hose is not attached to a bag, there's going to be a bit of a mess?

Let the world be your Foley bag.

TheStig on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Dear job/jab thread, I got my job jab.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Gave my two weeks on Monday, starting a new gig on the 21st. Shorter commute, more money, better title, gonna get some supervisory experience, should be lower stress too.

Woohoo!!! Congrats!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My office has officially implemented flexwork starting next week. No more schlepping in on Mondays for me!

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Dear job thread I got a flu jab during lunch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I stayed home sick today because I woke up with a monstrous headache. Note migraine level but I was certainly having some light sensitivity and fuck staring at screens all day with that. Took some meds and went back to bed, finally started feeling decent after noon. Still blegh though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

Let the world be your Foley bag.

I'm trying to manage the stress of my healthcare system supply chain job a little better, post vacation, letting work stress stay at work, that sort of thing

I'm having to slow down my job search and just chill out

Because I cannot seem to find a job that wouldn't be a big step backwards in pay

I cannot afford a $5/hr paycut

I'm making $19/hr now, and I'm not rolling in ducats, but I cannot go backwards

I'm trying to be more assertive while at work, while simultaneously not giving a fuck once I leave

And only working an hour of overtime a day

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was making 19.43 a hour as a stupidvisor at Wal mart but I was not living large as I found cutting cable, water and power use and losing the car I could barely live with some breathing room
    basically I am finding nothing in the area for a job

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Brainleech, it doesn't sound like the area has been good to you in the least

Maybe it's time to pursue change and find a job somewhere less awful?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Day 2 in the books at my new gig and I have been doing things! Other than watching training videos on the computer things! Cleaning up Finished tickets, wiping data from server hard disks, even helping get a laptop ready to send to one of our remote employees who lives in Canada. I don't feel completely inadequate even though I'm new! I've been able to work at my own pace and everyone seems really pleasant to be around and work with thus far! So far so good.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I am looking with help from the VA
    It's just very disheartening and depressing to look

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I goofed at work. I sat in after call for 24 minutes without realizing. Gonna be a pain in the ass to fix my schedule adherence.

Also kind of having allergies I think. Tickling feeling in my nose all day. Really annoying. Washed my hands and dried them off then used hand sanitizer to felt in my nose to see if there was a hair or something. Slightly paranoid about brain eating amoeba. This anxiety has reminded me to take my anxiety medicine I found and I am also scheduling an appointment tomorrow to see about getting a new prescriptions so I can keep going with this.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You won't get naegleria fowleri unless you snort bird shit. You're more likely to get struck by lightning, twice.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yes, but tell that to his anxiety (which I am sincerely glad you are seeking medication for, @Stragint ).

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

I am looking with help from the VA
    It's just very disheartening and depressing to look

Come to Sheffield in the UK

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So the new job is so far cool. I've found out the company that I'm going to be working with and the kind of equipment I'll be designing. I'll learning more details today and Thursday regarding those. The building is pretty swank even though I don't have an office, it's a good sized cube. There are free drinks, including seltzer and diet dr. pepper, cheap snacks, free bread (can't eat), and fresh fruit. They also grind the coffee (Starbucks French Roast & Pike's Peak). When I was chatting with the IT guy about how happy I was with the setup I said, "It's great, I couldn't ask for anything more, aside from a ping pong table." And he was like, "Dude, we have a ping pong table!" And we do! I went and checked it out, it's in great shape as are the paddles. Also, we're going to be getting a gym at the end of the month with a Pelaton bike (free accounts for all) and a concept 2 rower. There will be dumb bells too but I don't know the specifics. Looking forward to getting my row on.

The client I'll work with is in Connecticut, and I'll be spending about a week at a time there. Apparently 2 out of the 3 hotels are dog friendly so I can bring Rosie's dumb butt with me, which is great. I'm really really excited to get going on the project.

One downside, I did spot some mold on a few ceiling tiles, meaning there was water intrusion in the past. I brought in my air quality monitor and it read as excellent, so I won't be too loaded down with spores but it might not be a bad idea to request a thorough examination of the building.

All in all, I give the new job a 5 out of 7.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So in work they’re pushing this new tool that supposed to help with mental health called Unmind.

Which means their is posters everywhere telling us to “join the unmind”.

It’s a little unsettling considering I’m editing my third novel, which features corporate workers becomeing subsumed by a hive consciousness.

At least “The Unmind” is a great name for something when I get around to working on the Sci-fi horror ideas I have.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I feel fairly crappy today. Don't accidentally cold turkey yourself off your meds, kids.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I feel fairly crappy today. Don't accidentally cold turkey yourself off your meds, kids.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but after seeing your posts I set a follow up with my med guy before I ran out of anxiety medicine so thanks a lot!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    For a moment I thought that somebody had stolen my favorite pen from my office. It was almost a Rampage Wednesday!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but after seeing your posts I set a follow up with my med guy before I ran out of anxiety medicine so thanks a lot!

Glad to be of use!

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Does anyone have experience using the Netsuite ERP? Just got the sales pitch and I'm curious about real-world opinions.