As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[#MeToo] Comes To Gaming

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Alexis seems to have confused LinkedIn with Tinder

(ie viewing recruitment for work as the same as dating opportunities, I'm not saying he literally abused the site.)

Is textbook abuse of power. From an article at the American Psychological Association:
    "Sexual harassment is really not about sex. It's about power and aggression and manipulation. It's an abuse of power problem," says James Campbell Quick, PhD, a professor of leadership and management at the University of Texas at Arlington.

Is the "hot secretary" stereotype, aka that being able to have sex with their subordinates is just another priviledge of power, like owning expensive things. Many men chase power believing that the former is their "just reward" and get offended when pointed that is not the case because: "That's what I worked for".

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    After reading Lottie/Alexis' responses again, I am quite convinced they had to believe they were going to get the final word and that nobody was going to come forth to contradict what they said. The description of his behaviour on mental health issues, combined with the little "Yes, he did become suicidal" thing that Lottie put in there seem highly calculated moves on their part. I can't think of any other reason they would resort to such easily and provably wrong lies about the nature of their relationship.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I used to be a pretty big Kingdom of Loathing player so I've been keeping up with what's been going on since the allegations from Phoenix/AM.

A lot of players left and donations dropped. The in-game economy went bonkers for a bit, but it had been pretty unstable for a while before.

Zach Johnson (Jick) went radio silent for a few weeks. He had a podcast before and had been a regular multiple-times-a-day Twitter shitposter among other things, and then suddenly nothing. Mods and admins weren't hearing from him either, and some of the staff used the time to fix some problematic things in the game (when one of the five elemental powers of the world is "sleaze" you know there'll be a lot).

There was a push in-game from people trying to spread word, from an effort to make the top-rated mall stores a message about Jick's abuse to leaving messages in skywriting smoke. This went on during that radio silent period, but then suddenly Jick started lashing out, saying all the allegations were false, blah blah blah, and a bunch of the accounts that had been spreading news around in-game suddenly found themselves banned, and AM got threats and doxxed and driven off Twitter for a while, though she returns once in a while.

Now a couple days ago Jick apparently realized he was driving people away from the game even faster and released a kinda vague apology and public statement and said that $10 donations (the price of a Mr. Accessory, the most commonly donated-for item) would be going to RAINN. Not as bad as continuing to deny, but it seems like he's trying to wallpaper over everything and hope things will go back to normal and the regular subscription donations will return.

I'll keep monitoring and let you know if there are any major updates.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Taken from the Western Animation thread - Avatar: The Last Airbender lead writer Aaron Ehasz has been accused of misogynistic behavior while working for Riot Games as well as at his startup:
    In one account, a former editor at Riot Games recounted how he disrupted her job when he joined the company. In addition to treating her like his own personal assistant, he is accused of transitioning her editorial duties to a group and shut down her ideas. Later, she recounted how he told her that he planned to hire her full time, had her lay off several team members and then released her from her position without an explanation. What's more, she said he would bring his children to work and leave them with female production staff members without asking.

According to this account, he later attempted to sabotage her career, telling fellow industry members that "I’m a shrieking violent harpy who he was scared of cause when I was leaving I did acts of physicality."

Another woman, who worked as Head of Community Development at his startup Wonderstorm, shared that Ehasz's treatment of women caused her and some others to leave the job. "It was just so much shutting women down, not taking women seriously, not listening to women, firing a woman and then shit talking her," she wrote. "The men at the top constantly talked about how awful Riot was but then treated women at the company like jokes, similar to so much of the behavior I've heard and read about from Riot reports. It was really the worst I've ever felt at a job, ever."

Given the nature of the dumpster fire that is Riot, this is unsurprising and horrible.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    At this point a man working at Riot games is probably actively ignoring abuse going on or participating in it given how well known that company seems to be for the harassment problems.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    And to absolutely nobody's surprise, there's accusations against Dan of Game Grumps:
    Spoiler since it contains unpleasant details:
    I mean is anyone really shocked? Pulled from the GG/Holly/Jared /snow/ thread. TLDR: apparently he is known for sleeping around with younger fans, is generally kind of a douche, is obsessed with threesomes. Even tried to coerce Kati into one which lines up with the story from her play.

Account from anon: https://anony.link/https://pastebin.com/yUHvaK6a

Another account from different anon:

"Dan indirectly manipulated me to "look like his dream wife" for years, when I barely spoke English and sure as fuck wasn't legal. He also kept pressuring me into "trying things out with a woman" and do some weird mommy-daddy shit with me. I can't wait till his ship sinks one day, been hoping for that since 2016"
    When asked about details: "Threesome, I was the youngest involved and he and the other girl played "my parents".
    He really does prey on damaged woman. I've had issues with my real parents at the time, which he knew and he kinda turned it into a weird fucked up sex thing for some reason. He has some weird shit going on in his brain"

Not sure if more will come of this but figured it was worth it's own thread.

Game Grumps has been known for relationship drama for years, so this coming up is a "I'm shocked that there is gambling in this establishment" moments.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    At this point, I have to agree with the esteemed Bill S. Preston (Esq.):

(log on)
    The term Cancel Culture is a bad faith fallacy. There's only Consequence Culture, it's long overdue and most of the exposed predators have yet to face meaningful consequences.
    (log off)

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Isn't Game Grumps where that other MAGA shit-head came from, too?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Isn't Game Grumps where that other MAGA shit-head came from, too?

Yeah.

The remaining original host seems to pick partners badly.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Whoa... this is one of the ones that I find incredibly hard to believe. Just wanted to quote the top comment of that thread too because these are serious allegations.
    What are the sources of these accusations? I have no trouble believing that Dan is a sleazebag when it comes to sex (he's admitted as much through NSP and on Grumps), but accusations regarding sex with a minor are serious and shouldn't be thrown around lightly.

• Options
    Whoa... this is one of the ones that I find incredibly hard to believe. Just wanted to quote the top comment of that thread too because these are serious allegations.
    What are the sources of these accusations? I have no trouble believing that Dan is a sleazebag when it comes to sex (he's admitted as much through NSP and on Grumps), but accusations regarding sex with a minor are serious and shouldn't be thrown around lightly.

Who says that they're being "thrown around lightly"?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Uh, the Reddit guy I quoted? Here's another thread with more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/rantgrumps/comments/dulxdf/can_someone_fill_me_in_on_the_dan_situation_please/

That being said, I agree with Reddit guy. I wouldn't have trouble believing Dan is a sleazeball, that's like his entire band persona and would make sense that some of it would rub off onto him personally. I think calling him a pedophile or a rapist is something completely different.

But again, it's all speculation and hearsay so... I trust the accusers, but verification would be nice.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

(log on)
    The term Cancel Culture is a bad faith fallacy. There's only Consequence Culture, it's long overdue and most of the exposed predators have yet to face meaningful consequences.
    (log off)

It's kind of amazing that in 30+ years neither Bill nor Ted has done anything to get cancelled. Wyld Stallyns truly are the best of us.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

(log on)
    (log off)

It's kind of amazing that in 30+ years neither Bill nor Ted has done anything to get cancelled. Wyld Stallyns truly are the best of us.

It's for the best. In the alternate timeline where they fail history and Ted gets sent to military school ends in a huge body count.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Signal boosting something that easily could have been written by some KiwiFarms troll probably isn't a good idea.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

(log on)
    (log off)

Well the actors, in the first bill and ted they are homophobic. It's an 80's movie so the slang and stupidity fits, but its there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

(log on)
    (log off)

Well the actors, in the first bill and ted they are homophobic. It's an 80's movie so the slang and stupidity fits, but its there.

Well as long as they aren't still homophobic in the new one...

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

(log on)
    (log off)

Well as long as they aren't still homophobic in the new one...

I'd imagine probably not based on Winter himself talking about consequence culture. I guess we'll see.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

(log on)
    (log off)

It’s not shocking, exactly, but it is surprising how common homophobic slurs are throughout 80s and 90s entertainment as somebody who grew up during the time.

You watch something where you think it can’t possibly crop up, some Goonies-knockoff full of child actors, and then a kid drops a homophobic f-bomb out of nowhere, because it was nothing at the time. Playground chatter and a basic reflection of the world. Shit ran (runs) deep.

• Options

(log on)
    (log off)

It’s not shocking, exactly, but it is surprising how common homophobic slurs are throughout 80s and 90s entertainment as somebody who grew up during the time.

You watch something where you think it can’t possibly crop up, some Goonies-knockoff full of child actors, and then a kid drops a homophobic f-bomb out of nowhere, because it was nothing at the time. Playground chatter and a basic reflection of the world. Shit ran (runs) deep.

Pretty much like PG movies would have gay slurs in them. It's really sad/not surprising so many older millenials routinely used terms like that commonly. I know I did when I was growing up in the 90s.

Anyways bad shit gaming sexuality.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Is there a source for the allegations against Dan other than a sub-Reddit for complaining about Game Grumps? I'm looking up "Danny Game Grumps Allegations" and finding nothing.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Is there a source for the allegations against Dan other than a sub-Reddit for complaining about Game Grumps? I'm looking up "Danny Game Grumps Allegations" and finding nothing.

So far not yet, it would be better ascertained if the only resource for it wasn’t an awful subreddit that could readily be a troll.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    IDK, Cancel Culture seems like a pretty apt description. Jeff Goldblum says he'd consider working with Woody Allen again as nothing has ever been proven and he'd need to know more about that situation to say that he wouldn't work with Allen. A swell of social media users loudly declare that he's now cancelled. (I mean... good luck with that.) In my mind cancel culture is that group of social media users who shriek about something giving them that brief hit of "I did a thing!". There's no discussion or insight gleaned or even a long term solution. It's just a temporary thing where the accusers get that hit and the accused gets trampled for a bit.

re: game grumps (which I've never watched so hey, I could be wrong) someone associated with the person in question wrote a play in which a player who is very much like the person in question is portrayed as a piece of shit doing a number of things. Apparently it's not subtle.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    IDK, Cancel Culture seems like a pretty apt description. Jeff Goldblum says he'd consider working with Woody Allen again as nothing has ever been proven and he'd need to know more about that situation to say that he wouldn't work with Allen. A swell of social media users loudly declare that he's now cancelled. (I mean... good luck with that.) In my mind cancel culture is that group of social media users who shriek about something giving them that brief hit of "I did a thing!". There's no discussion or insight gleaned or even a long term solution. It's just a temporary thing where the accusers get that hit and the accused gets trampled for a bit.

re: game grumps (which I've never watched so hey, I could be wrong) someone associated with the person in question wrote a play in which a player who is very much like the person in question is portrayed as a piece of shit doing a number of things. Apparently it's not subtle.

The point of the discussion over "Cancel Culture" is the panicked reaction coming from those who are accused of being gross. People accused of being scumbags and their defenders act as though the people who are accusing them are perpetrating some kind of grave injustice when, in truth, none of these so-called "victims of Cancel Culture" have ever actually faced any real, disastrous consequences for their alleged behaviour, so their arm-waving panic about how they're being treated is entirely unjustified.

No one, not Jeff Goldblum, not Louis CK, and not Dan from Game Grumps have faced any lasting, life-changing consequences for their apparent grossness, so what, exactly, is the big deal here? No one is "entitled" to success. If you act like a gross pig and get called out, that's on you, not the person who called you out. Characterising calling out gross people as "shrieking" serves only to discourage victims of actual crimes from coming forward out of fear of being labelled a "shrieker" and becoming the target of harassment campaigns or worse. If you don't want to be called out for being a gross pig, don't act like a gross pig, it's not hard.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

I mean, couched language use here aside, I think you're overlooking the fact that for many people this isn't a dopamine hit. It's literally the only mechanism at their disposal to alert others to the vile behavior of abusers.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cancel culture isn't a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szybEhqUmVI

If by cancel culture you mean, "some people are receiving slightly more consequences than they used to, but still getting a lot of jobs and power" then yeah that exists, but no one is actually "cancelled." (Cancelled from what, exactly? 100% blind trust from everyone they meet? I don't think I'm being unreasonable to suggest that most people do not deserve that level of trust to begin with!)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Also Alex Winter called out powerful people protect powerful people. It's like after Polanski hollywood learned the lesson, to dis empower their victims so that they can't file rape charges without being shamed/shunned from society and man alive did the lesson take.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It's kind of funny that the older generation are criticizing the younger for being uptight and over-moral.

Old hippies, right?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Also Alex Winter called out powerful people protect powerful people. It's like after Polanski hollywood learned the lesson, to dis empower their victims so that they can't file rape charges without being shamed/shunned from society and man alive did the lesson take.

The lesson here is that the 80s/90s era stars - especially the ones who grew up in the industry - have shown a lot of solidarity when it comes to these accusations. It feels like there has always been a huge amount of abuse in the industry, but the abuses suffered by that generation of actors left a lot of death, mental illness, and lingering trauma that is only now getting aired due to their access to social media..

I don't think that it's an accident that this was also the era when Harvey Weinstein rose to prominence. Not that he was unique, but that the culture was so pervasively toxic that an obvious predator who acted like a mob boss could become one of the industry's major players.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    No one, not Jeff Goldblum, not Louis CK, and not Dan from Game Grumps have faced any lasting, life-changing consequences for their apparent grossness, so what, exactly, is the big deal here?

Well for one Dan is being lumped-in with Louis CK despite the only source accusing him of anything being a sub-Reddit devoted to complaining about the YouTube channel he's on. In fact, most of it seems to be based on speculation that a character in a play uploaded to YouTube was based on him.

EDIT: Looking into it further, apparently the sub-Reddit post linked here used a thread on Kiwi Farms titled "Arin Hanson / Egoraptor / Grump - "Hey I'm Grump!" of Game Grumps fame, hypocritical SJW doxer, shat himself recording a let's play" as its primary source.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    If you don't want to be called out for being a gross pig, don't act like a gross pig, it's not hard.
    Exactly. If you're innocent, you have absolutely nothing to fear.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I thought Dan admitted to soliciting fans?

• Options
    No one, not Jeff Goldblum, not Louis CK, and not Dan from Game Grumps have faced any lasting, life-changing consequences for their apparent grossness, so what, exactly, is the big deal here?

Well for one Dan is being lumped-in with Louis CK despite the only source accusing him of anything being a sub-Reddit devoted to complaining about the YouTube channel he's on.

yeah, and? Has he suffered any actual, legal, consequences? Has CK? Louis is back on the comedy circuit performing for sold-out clubs. Oh no. He hasn't had a Netflix special in a while. Poor guy.

Sorry, no sympathy from me.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Ideally, we would be able to distinguish between discussions of millionaire celebrities accused of sexual assault and minor internet personalities being the subject of questionably sourced call-out posts when discussing "cancel culture".

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    If you don't want to be called out for being a gross pig, don't act like a gross pig, it's not hard.
    Exactly. If you're innocent, you have absolutely nothing to fear.

Wow that's a crazy mischaracterization of what I said.

Why should we assume that anytime a celebrity is accused of acting gross, it must be the accuser who's "shrieking" and not, you know, that the celebrity is actually a gross person?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    It seems less like "cancel culture doesn't exist" and more that "cancel culture is not actually that effective at 'cancelling' people and the fears about it are being overstated". In that people are actually doing these things, on the internets, but it's just not actually destroying people's lives or anything the vast majority of the time.

shryke on
  • Options

Well for one Dan is being lumped-in with Louis CK despite the only source accusing him of anything being a sub-Reddit devoted to complaining about the YouTube channel he's on.

yeah, and? Has he suffered any actual, legal, consequences?

Thankfully no, because there's no credible proof he's done anything wrong

• Options

yeah, and? Has he suffered any actual, legal, consequences?

Thankfully no, because there's no credible proof he's done anything wrong

Exactly, so what, exactly, is the big deal here? People shouldn't feel free to point out gross behavior because it might temporarily embarrass people? If the claims made are unsupported, people will gasp and clutch their pearls for a while, but no further supporting information will come to light. No charges will be laid, the public will forget, and the celebrity will go on being a celebrity. This has already happened multiple times, with no lasting harm done to the celebrities involved.

On the other hand, if the celebrity in questions turns out to actually be a gross pig, then maybe calling them out will empower other victims of the gross pig's behaviour to come forward to support the original accuser, giving weight to the original accusation, and actually give the victims an opportunity to find each other, band together for support, and see if its possible for justice to be done against said gross pig. This has also happened (See: Weinstein, Cosby)

So what, exactly, is the lasting harm being done here? If you feel you've been the target of inappropriate conduct, do you not have the right to come out to a public forum and say so?

• Options

The lesson here is that the 80s/90s era stars - especially the ones who grew up in the industry - have shown a lot of solidarity when it comes to these accusations. It feels like there has always been a huge amount of abuse in the industry, but the abuses suffered by that generation of actors left a lot of death, mental illness, and lingering trauma that is only now getting aired due to their access to social media..

I don't think that it's an accident that this was also the era when Harvey Weinstein rose to prominence. Not that he was unique, but that the culture was so pervasively toxic that an obvious predator who acted like a mob boss could become one of the industry's major players.

I have a suspicion, thinking about the timing, that's it used to be all covered up by the studio system. After that died and the new blockbuster movie system set in, with it's big studios and such, there was less control so it was only a matter of time before all the usual crap that went on was not containable anymore. And then social media happens and BOOM.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I have a suspicion, thinking about the timing, that's it used to be all covered up by the studio system. After that died and the new blockbuster movie system set in, with it's big studios and such, there was less control so it was only a matter of time before all the usual crap that went on was not containable anymore. And then social media happens and BOOM.

Yeah. The "casting couch" stories go way back, and "destroyed by Hollywood" stories were a staple of 50s pulp and noir fiction. Those did not arise from nowhere.

I don't have any data to support it, but it also seems that the use of child actors became more prevalent in the late 70s. There are always a few around (Shirley Temple, Ron Howard, and such), but the TV family sitcom era, especially, brought a lot of child actors into the industry. A lot of the 80s/90s generation first started as child actors, and the stories make it seem like all witnessed or suffered some form of abuse from industry insiders, often with the direct complicity of their parents.

This discussion has been closed.