As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Yeah. I see them in stock now. I really don't have room in my apartment.

I wonder how big the box is.

Krathoon on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. I see them in stock now. I really don't have room in my apartment.

I wonder how big the box is.

Hopefully I can tell you tomorrow

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Part of what makes me want to get this is because it will probably be a limited time thing. The TMNT license tends to run out.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    And on a down note, despite having read to the contrary, it does not seem able to use either an Xbox One or PS4 controller, which is a shame. In fact, hot-swapping to an Xbox One controller hard-locked the machine so hard I had to physically unplug it from the power to turn it off!

Yeah, the Genesis mini currently only takes controllers licensed by Sega. I imagine it's the only drivers they have installed on the thing.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    And on a down note, despite having read to the contrary, it does not seem able to use either an Xbox One or PS4 controller, which is a shame. In fact, hot-swapping to an Xbox One controller hard-locked the machine so hard I had to physically unplug it from the power to turn it off!

Yeah, the Genesis mini currently only takes controllers licensed by Sega. I imagine it's the only drivers they have installed on the thing.

That's kind of stupid. I figured it'd take xbox and ps controllers just fine

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

That's kind of stupid. I figured it'd take xbox and ps controllers just fine

Stubborn and inconvenient, but not really stupid. I'm assuming Sega, like everyone else, wants to sell additional controllers if this thing has any traction.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I mean why else would they stick you with 3-button controllers and put Street Fighter on the system.

You give me an usb port and I'm gonna try sticking things in it!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular

Makes sense. I did see one review (I forget where, some Sega enthusiast site I think) that said it worked; and since most reviews don't even mention it either way, it was worth a shot.

I guess I still had in mind that time I discovered that Android actually has drivers for the Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter for PC built in. I shit you not. Use a USB-C adapter and it's plug & play (tested on Android 8.0 on an LG V30 phone). Absolutely blew my mind.

h918d1h82izb.jpg

Game night at my place! :D
    Or maybe not. I spent the past two hours putting that machine together on my own. I'm fucking tired! Turns out Turtle Power runs out quickly.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Looks great! Do you end up playing them while sitting on a chair or stool?

Also, Nickelodeon logo on the TMNT cabinet!?

edited October 2019
    I have a folding chair. I opted to not use the risers due to my Star Wars decorations hanging above. Besides, I'm a lazy turd that likes to sit.

BTW @Krathoon the box is 24x48x11.

RidleySaria on
    Quick straw poll. Golden Axe, yay or nay?

Like, objectively I can see that it isn't great. It's not as bad as Altered Beast (by a long shot), but it looks and feels archaic next to, say, Streets of Rage 2. And sometimes it can easily degenerate into a real grind to take down tougher enemies.

But damn if I don't still love it to bits.

Big yay on Golden Axe. In my picture above, the edge of what you see on the left is my Golden Axe cabinet. Clearly I’m a fan. Beat em ups have improved a lot since Golden Axe but it was always unique and special to me. Most beat em ups are street fights but it stands out by having that Conan the Barbarian theme. It’s still uncommon in the genre. Like you said, it’s far from the best. That doesn’t matter to me. I love it.

edited October 2019
    The amazing atmosphere, the sometimes really inventive background visuals, the beast riding, the magic effects (Tyris' dragon was amazing to see back in the day) the grin you get when a ledge shows up for sending enemies flying off, and the iconic music. It does have stuff going for it.

(And the strange use of equals symbols instead of hyphens or spaces in names. I remember well joking with a friend as we played co-op about how Tyris Equals Flare and Gilius Equals Thunderhead were setting off on their quest to defeat Death Equals Adder... :lol: )

I even liked that 3D remake for the PS2 (not Beast Rider, I still haven't played that, weirdly enough; I mean the one on the Sega Classics Collection) that seemed to be almost universally hated.

It's like slipping on a favourite pair of fuzzy slippers or something, is Golden Axe. I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

Jazz on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I'm now officially jealous of your room @RidleySaria

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, remember the Atari VCS retro game thingy? The one that would possibly run modern games as well as retro games? Well:
    Anew report has revealed that the system architect for Atari’s retro console, the Atari VCS, has left the project after he claims the company hasn’t paid him in six months.
    Atari architect Rob Wyatt, who was previously a founding member of the Xbox team, told The Register that he left the Atari project last week. “As of Friday, October 4th, I have officially resigned as the architect of the Atari VCS,” Wyatt told the publication.

According to Wyatt, his design consultancy Tin Giant has not been paid for invoices dating back over six months. “As a small company, we have been lucky to survive this long,” Wyatt says.

The status of the Atari VCS is also murky. Wyatt says his team only received a prototype motherboard last month, and that his team was in the process of debugging it before parting ways with Atari. Surfacelink, another contracted company with Atari, has reportedly taken over the project from Tin Giant.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited October 2019
    I oddly still get their indigogo emails even though I cancelled my pre-order before it closed. It bugged me that they charged extra for controllers when that is the one way you actually play games on a console. Their justification at the time was that any controller would work for their system.

Anyways, on the 7th they said this, "Pre-production is underway!" They then talked about how exited they are. So reading your post makes me laugh even more since I seriously think this will be worse than the Atari game watch that was on Kickstarter.

Edit: The watch never launched and I have a sneaking suspicion that the Atari brand screwed the guy for the VCS.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Looks great! Do you end up playing them while sitting on a chair or stool?

Also, Nickelodeon logo on the TMNT cabinet!?

TMNT is owned by Nickelodeon now.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    I wish Nickelodeon would release the TMNT arcade games to the current consoles.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    The amazing atmosphere, the sometimes really inventive background visuals, the beast riding, the magic effects (Tyris' dragon was amazing to see back in the day) the grin you get when a ledge shows up for sending enemies flying off, and the iconic music. It does have stuff going for it.

(And the strange use of equals symbols instead of hyphens or spaces in names. I remember well joking with a friend as we played co-op about how Tyris Equals Flare and Gilius Equals Thunderhead were setting off on their quest to defeat Death Equals Adder... :lol: )

I even liked that 3D remake for the PS2 (not Beast Rider, I still haven't played that, weirdly enough; I mean the one on the Sega Classics Collection) that seemed to be almost universally hated.

It's like slipping on a favourite pair of fuzzy slippers or something, is Golden Axe. I don't think I'll ever tire of it.

I like 99% of Golden Axe. Unfortunately, that 1% is how you have to be pixel-perfectly lined up with an enemy in order to inflict damage -- a handicap the opponents don't seem to worry about.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited October 2019
    I could probably fit the TMNT cabinet in the kitchen area of my apartment.

Here is a video that goes into the guts.
    https://youtu.be/3L21bygqsiI

Krathoon on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I played a lot of Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy last night and... Goddamn I miss Treasure. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I played a lot of Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy last night and... Goddamn I miss Treasure. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

I like 99% of Golden Axe. Unfortunately, that 1% is how you have to be pixel-perfectly lined up with an enemy in order to inflict damage -- a handicap the opponents don't seem to worry about.

Capcom shadows over mysteria took golden axe and made it good.

I am still teetering on getting the TMNT cabinet.

Is it the kind of thing you’d regret not getting? Personally getting this machine was one of those childhood dreams. It took a bite out of my pocketbook but I’ve been working a lot of overtime.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'd love the machine but I tend to move around a lot. It's something I'd enjoy having but it's a hefty price (that's my budget for my next console, basically) and I can see myself having to sell it if I move again.

But it's sooo fucking cool

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Man I'd love to get the cabinet, but like all the other ones I just don't have anywhere to put it. Probably by the time i do, they won't be making them anymore. Bummer. :bigfrown:

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    The TMNT cabinet seems to be staying in stock at Walmart.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'd be dangerously vulnerable to a Japanese Neo Geo MVS mini-cabinet, even if it just boiled down to a Rasberry Pi-type machine with a monitor and arcade controls.

Fortunately, that'll probably never happen, so my wallet is safe. Instead I spent less than $100 and dozens of hours of frustration to get a workable RetroPie machine.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    As someone who spent... entirely too much money on a couple of arcade cabinets, I'm pretty dang happy many more people are getting the chance to replicate an arcade experience for cheap.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    They need to make a Moonwalker cabinet.

They need to make a Moonwalker cabinet.

Yeah, that could happen. SEGA has never had trouble getting games with Michael Jackson content re-released.

And Michael Jackson is universally loved these days, r-right?

Is it the kind of thing you’d regret not getting? Personally getting this machine was one of those childhood dreams. It took a bite out of my pocketbook but I’ve been working a lot of overtime.

My house has a lot of Childhood dreams in it. Unfortunately it does not have enough room for the mini Star Wars Cabinet right now. Although when I look at it longingly I start to think of selling off all of my new Transformers and Star Wars figures to find the room...

oosik_betsuni.png
    I want that Star Wars cabinet as well. And a cocktail cabinet. Don’t know if I have the room. TMNT was the one I had to get though.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    As someone who spent... entirely too much money on a couple of arcade cabinets, I'm pretty dang happy many more people are getting the chance to replicate an arcade experience for cheap.

While I have no space for an arcade cabinet any more, I will forever treasure the years I had with my original STUN Runner cabinet. It was a privilege to own that thing and I miss it.

lm2h85legvol.jpg

Feels like a world away now.

I went ahead and ordered the TMNT cabinet. Watch me herniate myself getting it up the stairs.

This is a neat video of a guy putting it together.
    https://youtu.be/V50BrjJD94o

edited October 2019
    I have stairs too. But that was the FedEx guy’s problem. :twisted:

Hey, I moved a full size arcade cabinet up those stairs. I’ve done enough for a lifetime.

RidleySaria on
    Here is a more detailed assembly video.
    https://youtu.be/87OiPUzhxkQ