As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Crowfall] Game of Thrones meets EVE Online. Early Access available now.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I think the big hurdle this game will have with retention is what a lot of sandbox struggle with.

This is not a solo experience. Progression slows to a crawl in both leveling and crafting if you dont have a guild behind you.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I actually just want PvE to be passable. It doesn't have to be stellar, but I enjoy world conflict that arises from something a little random like wanting to kill some grubs or wolves and running in to someone else who wants the same thing.

Chill PvE becomes interesting low risk PvP that doesn't feel like a punishment. Like... Build your guild castles and shit, but give people a chance to explore and fight without it being ridiculous in time cost or risk.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I actually just want PvE to be passable. It doesn't have to be stellar, but I enjoy world conflict that arises from something a little random like wanting to kill some grubs or wolves and running in to someone else who wants the same thing.

Chill PvE becomes interesting low risk PvP that doesn't feel like a punishment. Like... Build your guild castles and shit, but give people a chance to explore and fight without it being ridiculous in time cost or risk.

My favorite times in Shadowbane were running around with one or two other people and trying to take out leveling camps and gold farming groups. Oh, the fights over rune drops? Those were ridiculously fun times.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Small fights for resources I can see happening. Disc arent world drops and probably wont be, unfortunately.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Not me, I get wood thinking about the summon chains on the way to banes. Getting 30 to 40 people in place to play lumberjack at somebody's tree, all in the space of 2 minutes, that's my best Shadowbane memory.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is this game PVP only? Cause I have literally 0 interest in PVP.

There are aspects of this game that do interest me, specifically crafting and more specialized game economies and such. But warring kingdoms and seasonal conquests or whatever have very little interest to me.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is this game PVP only? Cause I have literally 0 interest in PVP.

There are aspects of this game that do interest me, specifically crafting and more specialized game economies and such. But warring kingdoms and seasonal conquests or whatever have very little interest to me.

Probably not down your ally if you hate PVP games. Same with Camelot Unchained. The main event in Crowfall is the PVP throne battles.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    You can play the game and probably enjoy being a crafter main, but you are honestly paying a to ignore the actual unique aspects of the game at that point. PVP is their focus

• Options
    franciscourantfranciscourant Registered User regular
    "Is this game PVP only? Cause I have literally 0 interest in PVP."

There are worlds that have no PvP, like the Eternal Kingdoms and God's Reach. The things there are to do in those worlds: fighting creatures, gathering resources, crafting, building structures...

• Options
    So apparently referral links are a thing. This one is mine, with 10 uses. It lets people buy backer packs for 20% off.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    In case you haven't been paying attention to the game in awhile, like myself, this guy has a fairly recent (two weeks) video showing off a keep defense.

https://youtu.be/qqkySy8FMu0

The video isn't a deep dive in to the game and its systems, he just gives a play-by-play on his Guild's defense of a keep. He explains what the objectives are, why attackers/defenders are doing what they're doing and explains the general flow of combat in a siege.

Looks pretty good to me.

edit- Still in pre-alpha (or just Alpha?) though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the game itself says pre-alpha while playing. There was talk about gearing up to hit open beta early this year, but, eh, I dunno. They still don't have skill trees for disciplines in.

• Options
    August 11th is when the first open beta invites go out. I wish everyone good luck in getting in.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I've been coming back now and then to check on it. They're having a hard time figuring out a good NPE, but the game is fun.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I got into the beta! Only took 4 years.

First impressions, man, I hope they optimise the game before release, it kind of runs like a dog. And the UI behaviour could use some rethinking, why does opening my Skills window also reopen my inventory and my crafting window and anything else I mass-closed with Escape earlier? Do I really need to manually close each window every time, just to avoid covering up my entire screen to use the UI?

Mechanics seem interesting so far, I'm messing with a Duelist and probably completely screwing myself over with my stat investments, but what else is new.

Also, apparently I either thought profile name was my login name, or they weren't storing capital characters properly when I signed up for the account, but my lowercase character name is bugging the hell out of me.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is anyone actually playing this right now? I've been a backer for like 3 years but I've never been able to get into it. I wanted to jump back in and see if I can play with anyone.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Alas, got the beta literally days after I picked up FF14 again (after like 3 years), which sure is some timing. I messed around and found it interesting, but there's no way I can play two MMOs at the same time.

• Options
    Just got an email inviting me to close beta. Going to give it a shot today.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm honestly surprised this game survived this long (or to official launch).

I was initially very interested in it, based on the original pitch of a strong player driven economy. It really sounded like they were wanting to do some cool and unique things with crafting that other MMOs haven't done. But the more time that passed, and the more this game began to take shape, it was clear that it is not a game I'm interested in playing. Plus, and this is entirely just personal opinion here, I think their graphics are shit. The game is uuuuuuggggggllllllly.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised this game survived this long (or to official launch).

I was initially very interested in it, based on the original pitch of a strong player driven economy. It really sounded like they were wanting to do some cool and unique things with crafting that other MMOs haven't done. But the more time that passed, and the more this game began to take shape, it was clear that it is not a game I'm interested in playing. Plus, and this is entirely just personal opinion here, I think their graphics are shit. The game is uuuuuuggggggllllllly.

I'm the same. The game seems to have steered heavily away from what first drew me to it. Just sucks cause I went with the $250 pack from a few years ago. Kind of bummed it didn't get upgraded to the new packs they offer like the physical collectors edition. That would have been kind of cool.

I'll definitely check it out again at some point but I'm not nearly as interested.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    It's been so long since the drive I've completely forgotten what the game's original goals were, how had they changed? Personally I dig the art style (for the characters, at least), but last time I tried the beta it didn't really feel like a whole game and I bounced off it.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'm excited for it. The campaign style has me interested. I can't defend a guild castle 24/7 like I did in Shadowbane, that was a second job. But signing up for a month, having an actual winner, then going again sounds perfect. So does the ability to just take a campaign off without causing widespread panic at your absence.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Looking over the site, looks like they came pretty close to the original goal with some additions for a more casual option.

The only major change I noticed was the part they originally wanted for you to inhabit bodies on the map as a crow, as opposed to creating a character and then just inhabiting it normally. Death also being the reverse of say, WoW in that you leave your body when you die and need to death walk back to the graveyard to get the body back.

It doesn't look ugly in a "these graphics are so dated" way so much as a different art direction. Their art actually is really good too, just doesn't seem to translate into the game well.

I have a feeling if this doesn't maintain a playerbase i will be one of those games people regret never having played though. It has enough uniqueness to stand apart I would say.

Looking at some recent vids, it actually looks much better than I remember in motion. I actually kind of like the UI (even if it seems a bit large at times). I can't help but look at the character window with its inventory below it and think that is NOT directly inspired by Asheron's Call though.

Seems like the biggest issues are the game being built around an actual multiplayer experience. Stuff that can't be done solo, depending on other players for a lot of gameplay elements. This should never be a negative in an MMO, but it seems being able to solo everything has become so much of the norm it would be hugely offputting.

I said I would wait for this thing to come out before I got interested. Now that that time has come (6 years later) I think I am still interested. I will give it a shot. I can't help but love its underlying systems, I just mostly wonder how it will feel to play after some time.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    I still PVP in WoW so I definitely am.

I don't think I can do the open world PVP as a primary thing though. Stuff like BDO is completely out for me. But the kind of multie game modes, and encouraged short sessions seems solid in this to me.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The biggest problem I have with the graphics is how the world looks, it's like WoW but less stylized, and with character models that don't fit the aesthetic just plopped on top.

• Options
    I signed up for beta (which I thought I had done before) and got in instantly.

Guess I can give it a go now and see how it feels. Doubt a ton will change in one month.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I signed up for beta (which I thought I had done before) and got in instantly.

Guess I can give it a go now and see how it feels. Doubt a ton will change in one month.

Last time I played they had a real problem with onboarding. Like the tutorial gave you a rudimentary breakdown of some of the crafting, but they didn't actually explain what the hell the gameplay loops are. So you're like...what the fuck am I supposed to actually do?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    The first impression I got was that the game runs REALLY poorly in populated areas. Something way beyond graphics settings too. I was fine in the eternal kingdom where it is a solo zone, got about 100 fps (they don't let you tweak a ton of settings individually, a lot is controlled by an overall setting).

But when I went to the starting zone, I was looking at 20-30 fps no matter WHAT I set the settings to. Even when I halved the game resolution it did not budge. I know that a lot of MMOs that use engines not meant for MMOs have that issue and put an enormous strain on the CPU. Mine is old though not underpowered by any means (i5 6600K I think it was). 30 fps fluctuating is super hard to play a game at that is for sure.

The visuals aren't bad, it just.... doesn't make sense how the art looks so damn good but doesn't translate to the game. All the art shown in splash screens and used for the UI of characters and such looks amazing in a very unique way. Then you see the model and often times I need to let out an audible ugh.

The combat seems fine to me, and I like the vast amount of options for building a character. A lot of classes with 3 sub classes each.

I might be missing something but I did not see the account building skills they mention on the site. I dunno if their overview is outdated though. It said a lobby would exist where you pick skills to level up over time that had an overall effect on any class you picked.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The first impression I got was that the game runs REALLY poorly in populated areas. Something way beyond graphics settings too. I was fine in the eternal kingdom where it is a solo zone, got about 100 fps (they don't let you tweak a ton of settings individually, a lot is controlled by an overall setting).

But when I went to the starting zone, I was looking at 20-30 fps no matter WHAT I set the settings to. Even when I halved the game resolution it did not budge. I know that a lot of MMOs that use engines not meant for MMOs have that issue and put an enormous strain on the CPU. Mine is old though not underpowered by any means (i5 6600K I think it was). 30 fps fluctuating is super hard to play a game at that is for sure.

The visuals aren't bad, it just.... doesn't make sense how the art looks so damn good but doesn't translate to the game. All the art shown in splash screens and used for the UI of characters and such looks amazing in a very unique way. Then you see the model and often times I need to let out an audible ugh.

The combat seems fine to me, and I like the vast amount of options for building a character. A lot of classes with 3 sub classes each.

I might be missing something but I did not see the account building skills they mention on the site. I dunno if their overview is outdated though. It said a lobby would exist where you pick skills to level up over time that had an overall effect on any class you picked.

Yeah they ditched that awhile ago but haven't updated anything, you now have disciplines: https://crowfall.com/en-US/news/articles/december-live-stream

• Options
    Ahh ok, that looks neat too. I like all the stuff to learn and fiddle with. The game needs to just run better at some point :|

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Tried out this game as well. I didn't have performance issues but my computer is so old I probably wouldn't know what good performance was if it happened.

I've been waiting and watching on this one for a long time but sadly I've lost touch with my friend who was also interested. The core idea still seems cool, I like the concept of frequently resetting game worlds with a robust crafting system and I'm even willing to stomach a bit of world PvP as long (as I'm the one with stealth). Made a nifty little rodent gunslinger and combat felt alright if a bit chaotic. I need to get further in to really get a feel for the game but it's alright so far and exceeded my expectation since I thought it would never release at all.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Crowfall has released the VIP benefits and they honestly sound kind of like Hellgate London. The comic that PA made instantly popped into my mind. I really don't know if it is that bad but I feel like VIP having double the vault and world bank space and having unlimited free respecs will probably rub people the wrong way.

Edit: Talking about it with a friend and even the decreased durability drain on mounts and tools might cause issues in the economy since VIP players will be more mobile and able to farm materials for longer and the food buff duration increase could cause a similar issue if there are combat buffs or gathering buffs.

ObFGqpN.png

Stragint on

• Options
    edited June 2021
    *Edit* After playing some during some of the free playtest, I am purchasing one of the game packs and some VIP membership afterwards.

The game reminds me of Shadowbane and Dark age of Camelot with some nice questing implemented.

I heard the game really shines in guild vs guild pvp. Definitely worth picking up.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    According to the website countdown, this will go live at 7am EST tomorrow.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Best of luck to them. This is one of the games I'm really hoping succeeds.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I'm floored by the aggressiveness of the monetization in this game. Maybe if it were f2p I'd understand, but for near AAA full price base game? $200 game packs? Level skips? Good lord.

I'm always happy to see any ambitious MMO succeed, but this thing almost looks like it's actively just a scammy cash grab.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I haven't logged in since release but that sounds like they made the early backer and preorder content available at a premium instead of exclusive. I'll check it out this weekend but I do recall the bundles available when I backed the game were kind of all over the place in price.

It could also be a naked cash grab.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    A lot of this discussion has come up recently regarding the cash shop of New World, but those same arguments and questions apply here as well.

If your game has a level progression that is irrelevant, and it can be said of your game that "the endgame is all that matters" or "the game doesn't begin till max level," if those things can be said, why even force the player to advance in the first place? Why not just scrap leveling entirely and make a game about endgame. Perhaps RPG is not the correct genre for your game if leveling up and "the journey" do not matter and it's just a race to endgame before you can have fun. Perhaps remove leveling, remove levels entirely and just start everyone at the point where the fun begins.

Selling boosts on day 1 of the release of a brand new video game, to me (and also to a lot of other people who hold the same opinion as me) makes it seem as if the devs are admitting defeat. As if the devs are admitting that their game is shit until you reach cap. Admitting that their game is just padded out with meaningless grind to improve their engagement metrics.