As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ghosts of Tushima - the final "big" PS4 game

Just to temper expectations, Black was advertised as "The Last Big PS2 Game".

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine a world where it wouldn't. I mean I still have access to all of my digital PS3 purchases (without a PS3 to play them on).

26904.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Things seems to be heating up as the current rumors are the PS4 is winding down with:

Death Stranding - Nov. 8th (to be confirmed today)
    Last of Us 2 - Feb 2020 (per Jason Schrier on twitter)

PS5 Fall 2020

If that's the case I'll probably buckle up and wait for 5.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Things seems to be heating up as the current rumors are the PS4 is winding down with:

Death Stranding - Nov. 8th (to be confirmed today)
    Last of Us 2 - Feb 2020 (per Jason Schrier on twitter)

PS5 Fall 2020

If that's the case I'll probably buckle up and wait for 5.

Ghost of Tsushima looked like it was more polished than what I had expected at last E3. Something tells me that they're delaying its release so it doesn't compete with TLoU2. Hopefully that means we get a VERY polished game when it comes out... from the initial concept stage to release a good 6 years may pass.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    PS5 details were released today. I updated the OP.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Fortunately outside pressure has led to Sony moving favorably to your PS4 library being playable on PS5. So, no fear-of-missing-out in that regard.

Of course, there will always be remasters.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I don't own a 4k TV (and I bought a ginormous 70" less than 6 years ago), and my backlog is immense. I don't see myself getting this at launch like I did with the PS4.

Probably wait for the first revision console (and biting the bullet on a TV upgrade). Unless my PS4 gives out before then, maybe. It gets used a lot.

A truly fantastic VR system could pull me in sooner, maybe. That doubles the price, but if I'm mostly in it for the VR at first, there's no compulsion to upgrade the TV, so it's cheaper overall.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    edited October 2019
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I don't own a 4k TV (and I bought a ginormous 70" less than 6 years ago), and my backlog is immense. I don't see myself getting this at launch like I did with the PS4.

Probably wait for the first revision console (and biting the bullet on a TV upgrade). Unless my PS4 gives out before then, maybe. It gets used a lot.

A truly fantastic VR system could pull me in sooner, maybe. That doubles the price, but if I'm mostly in it for the VR at first, there's no compulsion to upgrade the TV, so it's cheaper overall.

Despite being very successful compared to other non-mobile home VR options, the PSVR attach rate for PS4 is much, much lower than Sony expected (it's just not as investor-suicidally-low as faced by Occulus and Valve), and sales already slowed significantly more than a year ago.

That doesn't mean there isn't going to be VR for PS5, not by any means. A new headset could be a gambit by Sony to encourage profitable hardware sales after the massive discounts on PSVR. It just means there probably isn't going to a huge, expensive tech overhaul of PSVR even with the shift from PS4 to PS5, at least not immediately.

If that sounds surprising, remember that Sony is still using the crappy motion controls from PS3 for it. The ones that no one liked back when they were new.

But the narrative about VR, for many people, is "Eh, it's good enough." That includes PSVR. The most likely outcome is that existing hardware will work on PS5, users won't have to pay much (or anything) for the change after what they already have, and they'll say "It's good enough." The PSVR is still a much more common device than the HTC Vive or Occulus Rift (separately).

Synthesis on
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I exaggerated a bit there. I don't really need that many improvements over the most recent PSVR for me to be on board. I almost bit on this one, and I still might if it gets cheap enough around the PS5 launch.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I exaggerated a bit there. I don't really need that many improvements over the most recent PSVR for me to be on board. I almost bit on this one, and I still might if it gets cheap enough around the PS5 launch.

Well, good news is that it's pretty darn cheap now. Sony very obviously has mountains of headsets that it naturally wants to sell.

The so-so news is that if the PS5 gets a new VR headset, it's probably going to functionally identical to what we have now, but a little lighter, a little more rugged, a little cheaper to make. It's not like all PSVR games run perfectly on even PSFro, much less PS4. They'll use that additional power, sensibly, to make full use of what they have, before doubling resolution to play catch-up with PC headsets from years ago--remember, the PSVR has a combined resolution of 1080p. My Samsung Odyssey, which is 2 years old, has 1440x1600 per eye. And yeah, resolution kind of matters for PSVR.

These are some of the issues that have stopped adoption of home VR on a scale anywhere near what was hoped for initially. Sony's goals aside, the PSVR has sold almost as much as all non-mobile PC VR combined (and they were leading that until pretty recently). They just did it much, much slower than Sony had thought after the initial sales rush.

But if existing headset compatibility is maintained, you're probably get some excellent deals.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I just got a 4K OLED TV, so if the PS5 isn't ridiculously priced here (Mexico), then I just might get one to jump into the UHD content. Watching 4K streams isn't the same, at all.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I just got a 4K OLED TV, so if the PS5 isn't ridiculously priced here (Mexico), then I just might get one to jump into the UHD content. Watching 4K streams isn't the same, at all.

On a nice TV, the difference between 4k Blu-ray and 4k streaming is staggering.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I will probably never get to see 4k on my 4k Tv until PS5 comes out (even though honestly I probably won't even be able to tell). I stream everything but I don't think my internet could handle streaming 4k.

Shadowfire wrote: »

Honestly, you don't need a "nice" TV if your streaming option is crummy or just your connection isn't quite up to the task--the video quality will bump down on its own.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...I don't really see myself getting a console year 1 unless there is some great hook to it.

I got the PS4 year 1 mainly for the up-port of Dragon Age Inquisition and while that was fun my general rule of waiting for a console late 2nd year cause that's when most of the titles start dropping wasn't disproven.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

The Xbox S is 4k bluray compatible right? I should buy a disk to check it out. 4k streams blow me away. What's a good movie to show off 4k. I thought matrix sold me on DVD and serenity on hddvd.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

The Xbox S is 4k bluray compatible right? I should buy a disk to check it out. 4k streams blow me away. What's a good movie to show off 4k. I thought matrix sold me on DVD and serenity on hddvd.

John Wick 2, any Marvel thing, The Matrix, either of the Blade Runners.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

John Wick 2, any Marvel thing, The Matrix, either of the Blade Runners.

The Marvel stuff is 2k upscaled, but it's still beautiful.

Also, any of the recent Disney stuff. Moana in particular is gorgeous.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    All fretting about HZD2 aside, my sincerest hope is that they treat is like The Last of Us; give it both a PS4 and a PS5 release, with the expected (minor?) downscaling in graphics and tweaking of little vibrating bits and bobs and whatnot.

Yeah, I'm sure there'll be a temptation to make it an exclusive to drive early adopters in, but precedent has been set with previous titles bridging a generational change. Unless I simply must feel that draw of the bow, or skidding on ice in my controller to play the game, I suspect I'll manage to do without.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    All fretting about HZD2 aside, my sincerest hope is that they treat is like The Last of Us; give it both a PS4 and a PS5 release, with the expected (minor?) downscaling in graphics and tweaking of little vibrating bits and bobs and whatnot.

Yeah, I'm sure there'll be a temptation to make it an exclusive to drive early adopters in, but precedent has been set with previous titles bridging a generational change. Unless I simply must feel that draw of the bow, or skidding on ice in my controller to play the game, I suspect I'll manage to do without.

I don't have a problem with HZD2 being PS5 exclusive because I want fewer and quicker load screens in my giant games. Graphical fidelity is nice but not having to stare at 30 second load screens is the real future as far as I am concerned. And yes I know a really nice gaming PC can already do that but I don't have that kind of money. Plus couch coop is very important for me and my son.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    It was more an example I'd brought up in the past, but while I'm sure some games will be held as killer apps that move consoles all on their own, it wouldn't be unprecedented for that game (or others) to exist on both consoles just fine.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

I don't have a problem with HZD2 being PS5 exclusive because I want fewer and quicker load screens in my giant games. Graphical fidelity is nice but not having to stare at 30 second load screens is the real future as far as I am concerned. And yes I know a really nice gaming PC can already do that but I don't have that kind of money. Plus couch coop is very important for me and my son.

I would love to see couch co-op become more of a thing again. It's not dead, obviously, but it's been severely sidelined in recent years.

More split-screen support would help with that too. And that's something 4K in particular can probably do well - a quarter of the screen is still 1080p, after all.

Heh. We used to play 4 player Golden Eye on a 13" CRT. (Granted, we were like 3-5 feet away)

Surely we can afford to split up the screen real estate on the monster 140" (hyperbole detected) screens that are being sold these days.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Heh. We used to play 4 player Golden Eye on a 13" CRT. (Granted, we were like 3-5 feet away)

Surely we can afford to split up the screen real estate on the monster 140" (hyperbole detected) screens that are being sold these days.
    It was also terrible and ran at 10-15 FPS.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

It was also terrible and ran at 10-15 FPS.

And we all loved the shit out of it.

I remember playing split-screen (on a LAN too) at a friend's once. Whole bunch of people, several Xbox 360s, and I was comfortably ensconced on a couch with one-quarter of an absolutely mahoosive HD projector screen. It was, predictably, completely awesome. Massive, high-def screens lend themselves so, so well to this.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I have both my PS4 and my gaming PC hooked up to my TV, and I've found way more couch coop/vs games on PC than on PS4/Switch.

Jazz wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

I would love to see couch co-op become more of a thing again. It's not dead, obviously, but it's been severely sidelined in recent years.

More split-screen support would help with that too. And that's something 4K in particular can probably do well - a quarter of the screen is still 1080p, after all.

I mean, I like the option, but we can't pretend performance wasn't terrible in the early age of 3D splitscreen too.

It's really cool that Gears 5 has splitscreen for the whole campaign, because that's a tradition of the franchise going back to the first Gears of War...but it does run at 20 to 30 FPS compared to a very solid 60 FPS even on XB1.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Dreams is going to be huge on PS5, and the last big game on PS4, IMO. I don't understand why more people aren't excited about it.

I want to shout about it from the rooftops, I'm that hyped about it. :P

It's frickin' itch.io but for your Playstation! A creation engine! Unlimited creativity on display! And far more collaborative and shareable! :D
    People complain about the lack of originality with each new console generation, and then Dreams, with more original content than you can fit up your Wahzoo, gets criminally ignored. :(

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Dreams is going to be huge on PS5, and the last big game on PS4, IMO. I don't understand why more people aren't excited about it.

I want to shout about it from the rooftops, I'm that hyped about it. :P

It's frickin' itch.io but for your Playstation! A creation engine! Unlimited creativity on display! And far more collaborative and shareable! :D
    People complain about the lack of originality with each new console generation, and then Dreams, with more original content than you can fit up your Wahzoo, gets criminally ignored. :(

The "create stuff" style games are very much not games for lots of people. Lots of people have no interest in the creativity side and also not really interested in playing things that some randos made. They want expertly crafted and/or immersive and/or big budget experiences that hits their mark even when talking about originality.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Games like Dreams are nifty when someone makes something cool with them, but most people are not that someone.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dreams is also quite a way out yet, so it'll probably pick up more steam closer to launch when we get a better idea of what we can actually do with it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Dreams, but there's two big issues I'm seeing with it: it building anything actually ambitious with it seems beyond the limits of how resource-intensive it is (which should be HUGELY improved with increased PS5 horsepower, that's going to help a lot), and it's both too advanced and too simple to make something interesting without a LOT of effort. Too advanced for the average player to make much more than mediocre levels for somebody else's game or another knockoff marble game, but too simple to make something really interesting because you can't execute things like proper code (everything is linked to chips which makes a lot of things intuitive, but it also makes programming complicated things very, very tedious). Instead of trying to learn the ins and outs of Dreams and chips and the (rather limited) logic options, I feel like somebody actually interested in making a game should just learn something like Unity instead.

I'll be very interested to see just how much more capability the PS5 offers Dreams, though.

edited October 2019

Yeah, all Xbox Ones (except for the original model) play UHD discs. In effect, every console is a sort of mid-range UHD player at a fairly good price point that has absurdly good app and media streaming support (by player standards). And you actively have to go out of your way to find an old console at this point (you'll know it because it's huge. PS3 huge.). As for good films to show off--I'd say, Alita, Warcraft (yes, I know, it's not a cinematic masterpiece), Blade Runner 2049, and of course Planet Earth are all safe bets.

By the way, who has thumbs and posts Digital Foundry videos a lot?

https://youtu.be/dOQOhLeb1Zs

Synthesis on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Blade Runner 2049 is my go-to.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I really hope the actual retail unit doesn't look like that. It's like a wide version of the battery for my weed eater.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sony misses the obvious, that design looks like something out of a retrofuturist World's Fair attraction. It should have been plated chrome with a bubble cockpit on top to fit a spaceman figure.

Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    I really hope the actual retail unit doesn't look like that. It's like a wide version of the battery for my weed eater.

Probably not. The video briefly mentions it, but Sony has a long tradition of ugly dev kits that don't look like the actual console.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    That's good, thanks.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Which makes sense, who knows how "final" the hardware is. Also it could give them more data around thermals and such that they can use to make last minute changes to the final design.

My biggest issue with PSVR is the massive downgrade in graphics. Ace Combat 7 VR looked like a PS2 game. If I can use my existing headset and get VR side modes or games that have PS4 level graphic's, I'll be happy.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Which makes sense, who knows how "final" the hardware is. Also it could give them more data around thermals and such that they can use to make last minute changes to the final design.

My biggest issue with PSVR is the massive downgrade in graphics. Ace Combat 7 VR looked like a PS2 game. If I can use my existing headset and get VR side modes or games that have PS4 level graphic's, I'll be happy.

Yes and no? Sony already knows the console will look like at launch, if not exactly then "more or less." There's nothing stopping them from building a dev kit that basically looks like what the console does--which introduces a humorous monkey's paw-type possibility with that bunt cake model--but larger if necessary and with additional data readouts if necessary. But it's completely up to them--as noted in the video, Microsoft has favored dev kits that look like the actual consoles going back to the Xbox 360, but that's just their way of doing it. Sony has liked very large, sometimes chrome-plated boxes before. They're more memorable in a way, when this tech inevitably ends up on eBay, Kotaku or elsewhere years after the fact.

At this point, the hardware is likely finalized but we can't be sure, as you said. But the dev kit goes far beyond it for obvious reasons. I think Sony just wanted to one up their designs from the PS4 dev kits which kind of look like early 2000s black-and-chrome PCs but maybe less subtle and ordinary? Also they wanted to incorporate a 'V' into it.

The limitations on PSVR with the current hardware are part of the reason I suspect the headset's not going to change (or at least not the display) in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.