As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It's the biggest PC game ever because there are a lot of large hats

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    With the talk of the next generation of consoles having super fast drives I kinda hope the PC versions of games that'll be on them won't suffer if you don't have an equivalent drive.

I do have an SSD, but my motherboard doesn't have one of those newer faster connectors.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    An SSD should be enough, even if it's not m.2 or whatever.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    You can pick two/three stats to be really high at in Shadowrun Returns, IIRC, and they'll be the deciding factor on what skills you'll be good at.

But for best results, you kind of have to have one of those be Charisma to get more dialogue options (this is more true with the sequels).

Not sure how effective non-dedicated Hacking is, late game - it felt like one of the things you're supposed to all-or-nothing on. Magic-wise, I remember there are low level buffs that are useful even late game (Haste?).

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    With the talk of the next generation of consoles having super fast drives I kinda hope the PC versions of games that'll be on them won't suffer if you don't have an equivalent drive.

I do have an SSD, but my motherboard doesn't have one of those newer faster connectors.

yeah this is just consoles catching up to PCs of like... 8 years ago.

The PS4 and XBONE should have had SSDs, but they were a little too new at the time to be price effective.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Can you ride it through a cold river to get it down to 85GB?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Spent an hour or so with Indivisible yesterday. So far the plot isn't knocking my socks off but the dialogue is entertaining and the combat system is pretty neat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmcUUGJ8Lo
    Swipe right for the brand new crazy physics-based dating simulator, Table Manners! Tonight's the night, you've secured a date and you're off to the most glamorous restaurant you know, there's only one problem - you're a disembodied hand with a knack for catastrophe!

seems like surgeon simulator, but for dating
    I hope your dates become more reactive by the time it launches, they're a little static right now

https://indiegamesplus.com/2019/10/table-manners-goes-on-ridiculous-dates-with-disembodied-hands
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1019450/Table_Manners/

Brolo on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the days I had a 100MB hard drive and couldn't install Creatures because it required 128MB or something like that.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It makes SSDing these games hard.
    4tb platters are dirt cheap nowadays, like $60.
    But a 1TB SSD is around $100, and 5 of these games would fill one.
    So suddenly moving these games to different drives becomes part of PC maintenance.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    So suddenly moving these games to different drives becomes part of PC maintenance.

Well the obvious solution would be to sell the games on their own storage platform, one that you could just plug into the computer when you wanted to play it.

:)

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    More on Disco Elysium. Newest blogpost gives an introduction on what's up with the world they've created.

Things don't seem to be going so well.
    West of the river, it’s funky-baby holocaust time all day every day. In East-Jamrock, wild animals roam the valley at night – giraffes that escaped from the Royal Zoo 50 years ago. Giraffes – even-toed ungulates from the savannah. The local kiosque chain Frittte (sic) employs a private army of 2000 men to guard its properties in Jamrock and Faubourg. That’s how bad the crime rate is – you need a private army to run a kiosque chain. And deregulation? They built a citizen-funded primitive nuclear reactor on the river. And it immediately entered core meltdown. That’s pretty deregulated if you ask me. Below Precinct 41 there’s a kebab merchant called Kuklov who makes kebabs that make you immortal if you can eat three and survive. In Villalobos an entire street is walled off and turned into a poppy field by a deified gangster called The Mazda, while his mortal enemy La Puta Madre exclusively employs former narcotics officers to farm his own fields. Through underground tunnels, kids descend into Le Royaume, the resting place of three centuries’ worth of the royal dead, to bring up rat tails and the pearl-encrusted teeth of civil servants. Child labour dungeoneering is a cottage industry. Someone came up with a synthetic opiate called the hunch that has a high lasting for two seconds. You only feel it while you’re injecting it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »

Well the obvious solution would be to sell the games on their own storage platform, one that you could just plug into the computer when you wanted to play it.

:)

VLcStO2.jpg

we already have external slots for that shit too

just blow the dust off the connector and then slam it into the slot

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    My favorite gamestop thing is how we'd do a "sale" where we raised the price of everything and then said it was on sale

fun story, did you know that doing that is textbook false advertisement and completely illegal

I wanna make it clear that I was not actually saying it was awesome that they did that, in case the sarcasm somehow did not come across

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I stand corrected. Our textures will blot out the sun

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of the days I had a 100MB hard drive and couldn't install Creatures because it required 128MB or something like that.

I remember my mind being blown when Half-Life required a whopping 400 megabytes of space

I only had a 1 gigabyte hard drive! What am I supposed to do?

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I think I had to buy a bigger HD when my computer would overheat trying to run Baldur's Gate directly off the cds.

• Options
    Remember how a while ago

Google claimed that Stadia wouldn't be an issue for data caps because internet providers would "take care of it"

And we all questioned if Google knew what the fuck it was talking about?

Well

Google is now claiming that Stadia will have "Negative Latency", by predicting what buttons you are going to push before you push them.

Its example for this is fighting games.

They're claiming its going to predict, two seconds before you push it, what button you're going to push

Either
    1) They don't know what the fuck they're talking about and this person is just lying
    2) It will be wrong most of the time and make playing the game feel like shit
    3) it will be correct, always, and you won't actually play the game at all, it just does it for you

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I can't wait for Google to develop the technology to beam the experience of having played a game directly into my brain without me ever actually playing it

Maybe that way I'll finally get around to Witcher 3

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Remember how a while ago

Google claimed that Stadia wouldn't be an issue for data caps because internet providers would "take care of it"

Well

Google is now claiming that Stadia will have "Negative Latency", by predicting what buttons you are going to push before you push them.

They're claiming its going to predict, two seconds before you push it, what button you're going to push

Either
    1) They don't know what the fuck they're talking about and this person is just lying
    3) it will be correct, always, and you won't actually play the game at all, it just does it for you

Google could be overselling or underexplaining their solution, but that's basically what GGPO is
    The system tries to predict what you're going to do, if the guess matches up great, if not it rolls back to the most recent accurate state

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Congratulations Google, you managed to discover a new buzzterm more meaningless than "blockchain."

"Negative latency." Might as well tell me the Stadia is going to generate more power than it uses.

• Options
    Right but they're talking about a full two second guess

GGPO is a similar idea but way different implementation

This is saying its literally gonna just push your inputs for you

They are claiming it will be faster and more responsive than local hardware

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Remember how a while ago

Well

Either

Could be a jojo reference

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    This seems like a juiced up form of client-side prediction (something that's been around since the Quake 1 days), except powered by THE ALMIGHTY AI.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So Stadia is really just a twitch streaming device. You just watch video of the game being played.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So Stadia is really just a twitch streaming device. You just watch video of the game being played.

Like giving a toddler a TV remote with no batteries. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Didn't a nvidia try doing this with graphics and all it did was make performance worse

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    This seems like a juiced up form of client-side prediction (something that's been around since the Quake 1 days), except powered by THE ALMIGHTY AI.

client side prediction was for what ways other people moved on your screen not your own movements though.

and the rollback is inevitably less jarring because it's not the character you're controlling.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

client side prediction was for what ways other people moved on your screen not your own movements though.

and the rollback is inevitably less jarring because it's not the character you're controlling.

It's for your own movements as well. One thing it tries to solve is to make your inputs responsive, so when you push forward you move immediately instead of waiting for the server to acknowledge that you in fact have moved.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So is John wick game good

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah it's fun and they got ian McShane and lance Reddick to do their parts

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Remember how a while ago

Well

Either

So several years ago, some friends were in town and we were all just hanging out, drinking and playing Dead or Alive, random character matches. There were only two controllers so we were doing the loser rotates out thing.

After one match my friend holds his hand out for the controller. After a bit he's like, "Dude Tofy, my turn. "

"No, it's not. I won. "

"Noooo you lost."

"What? Hayate totally won that round man."

"Yeah, but you were playing Zach."

*sounds of confirmation from all present*

"Guess that explains why I couldn't quite get the combos to work. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Finally a service that just plays my games for me. Lord knows I don't have the time to.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I can't wait for Google to develop the technology to beam the experience of having played a game directly into my brain without me ever actually playing it

Maybe that way I'll finally get around to Witcher 3

I could be wrong, but isn't that essentially Twitch (or other streaming site of your choice)?

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

Google has discovered auto-clicker games.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Maybe this Stadia thing will finally make me good at fighting games

This discussion has been closed.