As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Microtransactions where you buy better players

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Now that Net Neutrality is gone

I'm honestly surprised that noones figured out how to make better ping a microtransatction on a per game basis

If you pay for Street Fighters season pass you also get good connection speeds!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Finally a service that just plays my games for me. Lord knows I don't have the time to.
    I can't even imagine how much better my life will be when I can stop fretting that I'm missing out on The Cultural Conversation by not being able to play all these games. I mean, if my account played these games, that's the same as me having played these games, right?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    This seems like a juiced up form of client-side prediction (something that's been around since the Quake 1 days), except powered by THE ALMIGHTY AI.

client side prediction was for what ways other people moved on your screen not your own movements though.

and the rollback is inevitably less jarring because it's not the character you're controlling.

It's for your own movements as well. One thing it tries to solve is to make your inputs responsive, so when you push forward you move immediately instead of waiting for the server to acknowledge that you in fact have moved.

It doesn't apply to your own movements on your own client, only to your movements as seen by the other clients, to smooth out the appearance of movement from the individual position updates being sent from the server. It would be extremely noticeable if the server was constantly correcting your own position, it would feel like total shit to control.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    This seems like a juiced up form of client-side prediction (something that's been around since the Quake 1 days), except powered by THE ALMIGHTY AI.

client side prediction was for what ways other people moved on your screen not your own movements though.

and the rollback is inevitably less jarring because it's not the character you're controlling.

It's for your own movements as well. One thing it tries to solve is to make your inputs responsive, so when you push forward you move immediately instead of waiting for the server to acknowledge that you in fact have moved.

It doesn't apply to your own movements on your own client, only to your movements as seen by the other clients, to smooth out the appearance of movement from the individual position updates being sent from the server. It would be extremely noticeable if the server was constantly correcting your own position, it would feel like total shit to control.

http://fabiensanglard.net/quakeSource/quakeSourcePrediction.php

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Now that Net Neutrality is gone

I'm honestly surprised that noones figured out how to make better ping a microtransatction on a per game basis

If you pay for Street Fighters season pass you also get good connection speeds!

Sweet fuck, don't give them ideas!

JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2019

the only client-side prediction your client is doing with your own actions is predicting collision and shots hitting/missing on other entities that are being predicted IE based on the guesses about the movement and positions of the other players, it's not predicting your inputs.

If there's a specific bit of that page that contradicts me you can point it out, I only gave it a cursory scan.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

the only client-side prediction your client is doing with your own actions is predicting collision and shots hitting/missing on other entities that are being predicted IE based on the guesses about the movement and positions of the other players, it's not predicting your inputs.

From Valve's own document on client side prediction:
    One method for ameliorating this problem is to perform the client's movement locally and just assume, temporarily, that the server will accept and acknowledge the client commands directly. This method is labeled as client-side prediction.

Client-side prediction of movements requires us to let go of the "dumb" or minimal client principle. That's not to say that the client is fully in control of its simulation, as in a peer-to-peer game with no central server. There still is an authoritative server running the simulation just as noted above. Having an authoritative server means that even if the client simulates different results than the server, the server's results will eventually correct the client's incorrect simulation. Because of the latency in the connection, the correction might not occur until a full round trip's worth of time has passed. The downside is that this can cause a very perceptible shift in the player's position due to the fixing up of the prediction error that occurred in the past.

To implement client-side prediction of movement, the following general procedure is used. As before, client inputs are sampled and a user command is generated. Also as before, this user command is sent off to the server. However, each user command (and the exact time it was generated) is stored on the client. The prediction algorithm uses these stored commands.

For prediction, the last acknowledged movement from the server is used as a starting point. The acknowledgement indicates which user command was last acted upon by the server and also tells us the exact position (and other state data) of the player after that movement command was simulated on the server. The last acknowledged command will be somewhere in the past if there is any lag in the connection. For instance, if the client is running at 50 frames per second (fps) and has 100 milliseconds of latency (roundtrip), then the client will have stored up five user commands ahead of the last one acknowledged by the server. These five user commands are simulated on the client as a part of client-side prediction. Assuming full prediction1, the client will want to start with the latest data from the server, and then run the five user commands through "similar logic" to what the server uses for simulation of client movement. Running these commands should produce an accurate final state on the client (final player position is most important) that can be used to determine from what position to render the scene during the current frame.

Like, I could be completely wrong! The last thing I did was some bullshit super primitive network game thing years back that had nothing even close to any of this. But the behavior described seems pretty concrete to me!

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    So Stadia is just google stealing Nvidias tech?

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I am so looking forward to Outer Worlds

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Never mind.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Fuck, Outer Worlds is this month too?

edited October 2019

From Valve's own document on client side prediction:
    One method for ameliorating this problem is to perform the client's movement locally and just assume, temporarily, that the server will accept and acknowledge the client commands directly. This method is labeled as client-side prediction.

Client-side prediction of movements requires us to let go of the "dumb" or minimal client principle. That's not to say that the client is fully in control of its simulation, as in a peer-to-peer game with no central server. There still is an authoritative server running the simulation just as noted above. Having an authoritative server means that even if the client simulates different results than the server, the server's results will eventually correct the client's incorrect simulation. Because of the latency in the connection, the correction might not occur until a full round trip's worth of time has passed. The downside is that this can cause a very perceptible shift in the player's position due to the fixing up of the prediction error that occurred in the past.

To implement client-side prediction of movement, the following general procedure is used. As before, client inputs are sampled and a user command is generated. Also as before, this user command is sent off to the server. However, each user command (and the exact time it was generated) is stored on the client. The prediction algorithm uses these stored commands.

For prediction, the last acknowledged movement from the server is used as a starting point. The acknowledgement indicates which user command was last acted upon by the server and also tells us the exact position (and other state data) of the player after that movement command was simulated on the server. The last acknowledged command will be somewhere in the past if there is any lag in the connection. For instance, if the client is running at 50 frames per second (fps) and has 100 milliseconds of latency (roundtrip), then the client will have stored up five user commands ahead of the last one acknowledged by the server. These five user commands are simulated on the client as a part of client-side prediction. Assuming full prediction1, the client will want to start with the latest data from the server, and then run the five user commands through "similar logic" to what the server uses for simulation of client movement. Running these commands should produce an accurate final state on the client (final player position is most important) that can be used to determine from what position to render the scene during the current frame.

Like, I could be completely wrong! The last thing I did was some bullshit super primitive network game thing years back that had nothing even close to any of this. But the behavior described seems pretty concrete to me!

I think I see the source of confusion here. The server's simulation of the game state is the final word of what actually happens, so the game states your client shows you between the moments when you receive a packet from the server updating the simulation state are a client-side prediction of what the server will say the simulation state is.

So, technically, all your inputs before they are acknowledged by the server are predictions as well, predictions by the client that the server will accept them, incorporate into the server's simulation, and then send a message back saying "these actions were accepted" so the client stays synchronized. But it's a prediction of what the server is going to accept, not a prediction of what you're going to input next. The server very rarely rejects client actions unless there's network problems causing a lot of desynchronization between the server and client simulations so it's rare to notice this process.

Basically the client is "predicting" in the client's simulation of the server's simulation that the server will not reject your inputs and roll you back to a different state.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    ze64t2sqczcc.jpg
    Ubisoft is giving away Rabbids Coding, a game teaching programming basics:
    https://register.ubisoft.com/rabbids-coding/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S9z6DFHt6o

HiT BiT on
    huh, the rabbids video isn't available in the US

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Because Rabbids support the Hong Kong protests.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Karl wrote: »
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Karl's review of Shadowrun Returns after 1hr 15 minutes of playing:

It's really good. The writing and tone are really good. The combat is fun and I'm enjoying the fact that so far it's not a save the world plot. I appear to be hunting a serial killer who murdered my mate.

The only criticism so far is that the skill tree isn't that clear and I've put a few points into things I didn't need.

I'm going to build out my Runner as a Street Samurai (focus on rifles and pistols) with a smattering of hacking and magic.

You probably won't have enough skill points to diversify (long time since I played Returns) and both hacking and magic will require a big investment in both points and money for equipment/spells to be useful. Pick a focus and let your teammates fill the niches you won't be able to.

Ah ok.

I'm currently on my own so didn't realize that. I've got a basic health spell and some basic hacking but if there are teammates who can cover those for me, I'll just become a gun master.

@Karl I wrote a whole thing about shadowrun a while back, here it is in case it helps
    WHAT THE STATS MEAN
    Body increases your hit points (10HP per point of Body). 3 Body for 30 HP is a good solid number. If you plan to take more damage (by being a front-line fighter) pump that one up.

Strength increases your chance to hit with melee attacks and your damage with them. Close Combat is a sub-skill of Strength that allows you to do more critical damage and use better melee weapons, and its max value is capped at your strength score. Melee Weapons and Unarmed Combat are in turn sub-skills of Close Combat and give you extra abilities and accuracy with those weapon types - and again, they're capped at the max value of your Close Combat score. So if you want a 5 in Melee Weapons, you need a 5 in Close Combat and a 5 in Strength first - does that make sense? That attribute > skill > sub-skill thing is the basic structure for all the character options.

Quickness increases your movement speed and ability to hit with ranged weapons. Ranged Weapons is a sub-skill of Quickness, and Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns are sub-skills of Ranged Weapons. Again, raising each of those tracks not only improves your general to-hit and damage with those weapons but also unlocks various special abilities with them, like at pistols 4 you can reload without using an action. The Dodge skill improves your general ability to avoid melee attacks and gunfire.

On its own, Intelligence mainly lets you pass a few dialogue checks; statistically, what it does is contribute to the success of all the skills beneath it. Deckers (hackers) will want the Decking and ESP control skills, while Riggers (dudes who deploy portable combat drones on the battlefield) use Drone Control and Drone Combat.

Willpower determines your ability to resist magical attacks. Its subskills are Chi Casting. which allows the use of Chi spells that improve unarmed and melee attacks, and Spellcasting, which allows the casting of arcane magic (D&D type stuff: throwing fireballs, lightning, paralyzing dudes, etc).

Charisma unlocks Etiquettes, which are special social interactions that let you talk your way past difficult situations in the game - if you have the Security etiquette, you might know the right thing to say to talk your way past a security guard without having to fight him, for instance, while Gang etiquette lets you know the right thing to say when accosted on the streets. Charisma's subskills are Spirit Summoning and Spirit Control, which allow shamans to call forth powerful spirit creatures to help them in battle (albeit with an increasing chance each round that the spirit will break free from their control and wreak havoc) and Conjuring unlocks the ability to cast conjuration spells, which generally revolve around the creation of barriers/force fields/traps/etc.

BUILDING A GUY
    Pick a concept for the character you want to make - the system is flexible and the classes listed at character creation are just suggestions; you can build your own by spending an equivalent amount of karma points as you choose.

A good approach to character building is to focus on one (1) combat skill, two (2) utilities, and Charisma. (There's never really a good reason not to be a charismatic main character in a PC RPG, because it always opens up so many options.)

Pretty much any weapon approach is totally viable. Assault rifles are the best overall weapon, but tend to use both of your action points (leaving you unable to move after firing). Shotguns do massive damage up-close and get a couple of nasty powers as you level up your shotgun skill. Pistols do less damage round-to-round but have decent range and the best critical hits in the game, and the best trick shot powers, letting you do stuff like hit multiple targets with one volley, disarm enemies, etc. Submachine guns have a reliable chance to hit from sheer volume of bullets fired, and the SMG tree has very few powers and those are mostly frontloaded, which means you only need a small investment of points to get the most out of the weapon, making SMGs a perfect choice for characters like hackers or spellcasters who want to spend most of their points in their main thing instead of a gun skill.

Melee is a somewhat mediocre - not cripplingly bad, just kind of eh - option in Shadowrun Returns but gets progressively better through the series, to the point where it’s very, very viable in Hong Kong.

Grenades are pretty nice too, but with a single grenade taking up a full inventory slot, you can’t really have them as your main thing. They’re a great backup weapon option for combat-focused characters, though.

When it comes to assigning points at the beginning, pick one thing to start out with - "I'm going to be really good at pistols," or whatever, and jack it up to 4 or 5 as soon as you can.

Now, the way the skills work, your chance to hit in ranged or melee combat is determined by the Ranged Combat or Melee Combat skills, NOT by the Assault Rifle, Pistol, Unarmed, etc skills for specific weapons. What the specific weapon skills do is improve your criticals and unlock better powers with those weapons. So if you have a good ranged combat and focus on assault rifles, there's no reason not to pack a backup shotty or pistol or whatever just in case.

So after you've got your main combat weapon chosen, pick a utility skill. By utilities I mean stuff like Biotech (which lets medkits heal you more, and in Dragonfall opens up a surprising number of bonus dialogue options), or Dodge (the ability not to be hit), or Body (which affects your HP). I think any character should probably have a minimum of 3 in Body but if you plan on doing a lot of melee or being in danger it is definitely worth pumping that up to 6 or even higher.

Some good general character concepts:

Pure street samurai: a lot of Body, Strength, and Quickness, a melee or unarmed skill, and a gun skill. Put leftover points into Dodge. You'll be a pure combat beast.

Decker: You'll need a Decker on most missions to unlock doors and access extra information and cash, so being that dude yourself is often a good call. Decking goes well with a ranged combat skill (I like Pistols but other people are very happy with Rifles) but you can also get a huge amount of mileage out of being a Decker/Rigger, putting all your points into intelligence and not even bothering to carry a weapon - your robot friends are your weapon.

Mage/Shaman - You can be a pure spellcaster, pumping up both Willpower and Charisma to get access to as many casting options as possible, or you can devote yourself to one specific flavor of magic (only spirit summoning or only arcane spellcasting, for instance) and use the other points to improve a melee or ranged weapon skill to add to your versatility.

"Face" - a high-Charisma character with a lot of Etiquettes may not be a killer on the battlefield, but they often don't need to be, because the game gives you ample opportunities to bypass fights entirely or resolve otherwise unresolvable situations if you're a good fast-talker. Corporate and Security etiquettes are by far the most useful, followed by Gang, Academic, or Shadowrunner, with Socialite and Street coming in somewhat last.

Lastly, unless you're a caster, you're going to want cyberware, but - and this is frustrating - WAIT. Don't buy the first stuff you see. The game releases progressively better and better cyberware as you progress, so your best bet is to wait till the later-game and stuff as much of that sweet 'ware into you as can fit rather than settle for some bulky, crappy cyberleg that will drop your Essence by a ton and prevent you getting something better later on.

THE INTERFACE
    Press C to open your character sheet. f5 quicksaves and f9 quickloads. Left-Alt highlights all interactable objects you can currently see on the map. You can't trade items between characters, no dragging and dropping party member A's medkit onto party member B or whatever.

COMBAT
    Combat works like XCOM, if you've played that. Characters get 2 Action Points. You can see, in their little portraits in the top right of the screen, a little number 2, 1, or 0 on the bottom right of the portrait; that is their current number of Action Points. You can use an Action Point to move or to shoot, and you can move twice, shoot twice, etc. Some actions - like certain powerful spells, or well-aimed shots from a rifle - take 2 action points to complete, so they will consume your full turn to use. You can tell what the action's AP cost is by looking at the number in the bottom right of the icon for that action.

Characters with multiple weapons can switch between them by clicking the little weapon silhouettes on the bottom left of the screen. This costs no actions to do. Characters with multiple inventory types - like a spell book and a backpack full of grenades, or a list of miscellaneous special powers granted by equipment - can switch between those lists by clicking the little head and backpack icons on the bottom right of the screen. Again, this costs no action points to do.

The goal of combat is to get your dudes into cover (symbolized by a little shield icon that is empty, half full, or full) and shoot at enemies that are out of cover (symbolized by either having no shield at all, which indicates that they are out in the open, or a shield that's been X-ed out, which indicates that they would have cover except that they're currently Flanked). The advantage of cover is that it reduces all incoming damage and also makes you immune to critical hits. Flanked enemies or enemies out in the open are not immune to critical hits and will explode into very satisfying blood chunks very quickly if you focus on them first.

If an enemy is in cover, either try to work your way around to an uncovered side to attack them from, or hit them with an area of effect attack such as a grenade or a spell. Stunning attacks, such as flashbang grenades and tasers, drain enemy action points, making the enemy unable to move as much or take as many actions on their turn. If you drain ALL of an enemy's AP, they are completely stunned and fall out of cover, making them an easy target!

You'll notice that some bigger or tougher-looking characters have little white pips along their health bars. This indicates their armor. Armor reduces all incoming damage by a flat amount (so armor 3 subtracts 3 damage from all incoming shots, let's say). Heavily armored enemies might be able to shrug off some attacks completely; that means your best bet is to use max-damage attacks or any sort of special ammunition, spells, or powers that grant an armor-piercing effect.

Overwatch, the little dot icon with a semicircle over it, is unlocked for all weapons or melee attacks at rank 3. So if your character has Spellcasting 4 and Pistols 2, he can do Overwatch with his Arcane Bolt spell but not with his pistol. When you select Overwatch, you need to select the attack they'll be using and the direction they'll be looking for trouble in.

Your party members' inventories replenish themselves after every mission so don't be shy about using their equipment. You already know what medkits and grenades do. Trauma kits automatically heal your characters for some amount of HP when they hit 0, OR, if a character without a trauma kit is downed, a character with a kit can run over and use it to revive them (within three rounds). Fetish totems are one-shot consumable items that shamans can use to summon spirits into battle. Most major battle areas in the game also have a couple of interactable points (visible during the shaman's turn) where you can click on them and a shaman character can summon a spirit for free, without a totem, and these spirits are often pretty powerful.

THE MATRIX
    The electronic cyberwebs of the information superfreeway work exactly like movement and combat in the real world except that the decker character has a single basic attack and a suite of more powerful abilities (better attacks, area attacks, self-heals, buffs, debuffs, etc) based on what Programs he has chosen to install before hacking in - Programs have pretty self-explanatory names like Blaster, Killer, Medic, Shield, and so forth. ESPs are special programs that summon a digital ally to help out in combat, and although ESP programs are bought and sold from merchants under the "consumable" tab, they never actually go away. If your ESP dies in the Matrix you can't summon it again during that particular hack but if you jack out of the system and come back later it will be ready to summon again.

LEVELING UP
    There seem to be three big competence thresholds: early on, if you have something (particularly a gun skill) at 4, you're about at the target difficulty. Later, in the mid game, you want things around 7. Finally, at the end game, you want your marquee stats at 9 or 10. So focus on getting your skills to those targets at those points.

SHADOWRUN RETURNS-SPECIFIC ADVICE
    For Shadowrun Returns, definitely pick Corporate and Security as your etiquettes. They are super helpful. Avoid Academic and Socialite.

DRAGONFALL-SPECIFIC ADVICE
    The best Etiquettes in Dragonfall are Corporate and Security, easily. No others come up nearly as often or yield such tangible rewards. Academic is fantastic - it gives ok in-game rewards but is super handy for players who want to dig deeper into the story, as it lets your guy decipher scientific documents etc (this is also why the Biotech skill is useful specifically in this game)). Criminal and Shadowrunner are both useful on a couple of important occasions. Gang comes up like once and I am not sure if Socialite ever does.

I think all the leveling up your party member paths are pretty valid but in Dietrich's case I was all about free extra spirits and Eiger's upgraded sniper rifle is a fucking beast.

Finally,

- talk to every NPC after important missions. It does affect the outcome of the late game in small but cool ways.
    - just like a Bioware game, all your companions have side stories (bar Dietrich, whose quest is also part of the main chain). Push them on their backstories. Glory doesn't want to talk to you and the options are kind of misleading and make it seem like if you wait she'll open up - she doesn't. You have to actually push her into talking a bit, but once you start it opens up some of the best content in the game.
    - Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, never make a deal with a dragon

rRwz9.gif
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So a thing I find really funny in Indivisible.
    Early plot spoilers
    So, as you may have guessed from the trailer, the main character, Ajna, keeps other characters in some sort of psychic inner realm in her head. The first few allies you meet really quickly join up with you almost no fuss. Basically, they think it's kind of weird but whatever. One of them basically just cause she has nothing better to do.

Except for the very first dude who is in fact the soldier who killed her father in the attack on their village, because she accidentally trapped him there while they were fighting. And whenever he expresses an opinion on stuff going on, she and everyone in her head basically go "shut up, you don't count!"

steam_sig.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yes, when I get the game, I intend to bench Dhar whenever possible, I think.

On that note, I don’t have Indivisible yet, because I chose Switch when that became an option on the backer survey, but I have been listening to my backer copy of the soundtrack. And guys?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q1lPjDjvB5g

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EZ2EbIU2dpI

That game has some good music.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    eiv3jv0qdpqb.png

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yes, when I get the game, I intend to bench Dhar whenever possible, I think.

On that note, I don’t have Indivisible yet, because I chose Switch when that became an option on the backer survey, but I have been listening to my backer copy of the soundtrack. And guys?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q1lPjDjvB5g

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EZ2EbIU2dpI

That game has some good music.

Okay yeah, I need that.

Also, I'm disappointed the Switch version isn't out. I want it portable. I want EVERYTHING portable.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Note that account deletion seems to be working again. It's likely that it was down not due to nefarious reasons, but rather the sheer volume of users using it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Note that account deletion seems to be working again. It's likely that it was down not due to nefarious reasons, but rather the sheer volume of users using it.

Yeah, I just saw that.

Good to know. Still doesn't paint a great picture for blizzard current standing amoung players, but at least it's not a malicious act on their part.

Undead Scottsman on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I remember using KALI to play multiplayer Jedi Knight II over dialup. That and Descent. Good times!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

Parsec does this right now, and it's pretty great: https://parsecgaming.com/

They also have an Android version in early access that allows you to play PC games with people on Android.

Crippl3 on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

We should be seeing cool shit like this out of Epic.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

We should be seeing cool shit like this out of Epic.

Especially since Borderlands 3 is the first game I've noticed in a long time that explicitly allows LAN-only group options.

Granted I don't really look for them much, but I was surprised to see it mentioned.

godmode on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Karl's review of Shadowrun Returns after 1hr 15 minutes of playing:

It's really good. The writing and tone are really good. The combat is fun and I'm enjoying the fact that so far it's not a save the world plot. I appear to be hunting a serial killer who murdered my mate.

The only criticism so far is that the skill tree isn't that clear and I've put a few points into things I didn't need.

I'm going to build out my Runner as a Street Samurai (focus on rifles and pistols) with a smattering of hacking and magic.

You probably won't have enough skill points to diversify (long time since I played Returns) and both hacking and magic will require a big investment in both points and money for equipment/spells to be useful. Pick a focus and let your teammates fill the niches you won't be able to.

Ah ok.

I'm currently on my own so didn't realize that. I've got a basic health spell and some basic hacking but if there are teammates who can cover those for me, I'll just become a gun master.

@Karl I wrote a whole thing about shadowrun a while back, here it is in case it helps
    WHAT THE STATS MEAN
    Body increases your hit points (10HP per point of Body). 3 Body for 30 HP is a good solid number. If you plan to take more damage (by being a front-line fighter) pump that one up.

Strength increases your chance to hit with melee attacks and your damage with them. Close Combat is a sub-skill of Strength that allows you to do more critical damage and use better melee weapons, and its max value is capped at your strength score. Melee Weapons and Unarmed Combat are in turn sub-skills of Close Combat and give you extra abilities and accuracy with those weapon types - and again, they're capped at the max value of your Close Combat score. So if you want a 5 in Melee Weapons, you need a 5 in Close Combat and a 5 in Strength first - does that make sense? That attribute > skill > sub-skill thing is the basic structure for all the character options.

Quickness increases your movement speed and ability to hit with ranged weapons. Ranged Weapons is a sub-skill of Quickness, and Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns are sub-skills of Ranged Weapons. Again, raising each of those tracks not only improves your general to-hit and damage with those weapons but also unlocks various special abilities with them, like at pistols 4 you can reload without using an action. The Dodge skill improves your general ability to avoid melee attacks and gunfire.

On its own, Intelligence mainly lets you pass a few dialogue checks; statistically, what it does is contribute to the success of all the skills beneath it. Deckers (hackers) will want the Decking and ESP control skills, while Riggers (dudes who deploy portable combat drones on the battlefield) use Drone Control and Drone Combat.

Willpower determines your ability to resist magical attacks. Its subskills are Chi Casting. which allows the use of Chi spells that improve unarmed and melee attacks, and Spellcasting, which allows the casting of arcane magic (D&D type stuff: throwing fireballs, lightning, paralyzing dudes, etc).

Charisma unlocks Etiquettes, which are special social interactions that let you talk your way past difficult situations in the game - if you have the Security etiquette, you might know the right thing to say to talk your way past a security guard without having to fight him, for instance, while Gang etiquette lets you know the right thing to say when accosted on the streets. Charisma's subskills are Spirit Summoning and Spirit Control, which allow shamans to call forth powerful spirit creatures to help them in battle (albeit with an increasing chance each round that the spirit will break free from their control and wreak havoc) and Conjuring unlocks the ability to cast conjuration spells, which generally revolve around the creation of barriers/force fields/traps/etc.

BUILDING A GUY
    Pick a concept for the character you want to make - the system is flexible and the classes listed at character creation are just suggestions; you can build your own by spending an equivalent amount of karma points as you choose.

A good approach to character building is to focus on one (1) combat skill, two (2) utilities, and Charisma. (There's never really a good reason not to be a charismatic main character in a PC RPG, because it always opens up so many options.)

Pretty much any weapon approach is totally viable. Assault rifles are the best overall weapon, but tend to use both of your action points (leaving you unable to move after firing). Shotguns do massive damage up-close and get a couple of nasty powers as you level up your shotgun skill. Pistols do less damage round-to-round but have decent range and the best critical hits in the game, and the best trick shot powers, letting you do stuff like hit multiple targets with one volley, disarm enemies, etc. Submachine guns have a reliable chance to hit from sheer volume of bullets fired, and the SMG tree has very few powers and those are mostly frontloaded, which means you only need a small investment of points to get the most out of the weapon, making SMGs a perfect choice for characters like hackers or spellcasters who want to spend most of their points in their main thing instead of a gun skill.

Melee is a somewhat mediocre - not cripplingly bad, just kind of eh - option in Shadowrun Returns but gets progressively better through the series, to the point where it’s very, very viable in Hong Kong.

Grenades are pretty nice too, but with a single grenade taking up a full inventory slot, you can’t really have them as your main thing. They’re a great backup weapon option for combat-focused characters, though.

When it comes to assigning points at the beginning, pick one thing to start out with - "I'm going to be really good at pistols," or whatever, and jack it up to 4 or 5 as soon as you can.

Now, the way the skills work, your chance to hit in ranged or melee combat is determined by the Ranged Combat or Melee Combat skills, NOT by the Assault Rifle, Pistol, Unarmed, etc skills for specific weapons. What the specific weapon skills do is improve your criticals and unlock better powers with those weapons. So if you have a good ranged combat and focus on assault rifles, there's no reason not to pack a backup shotty or pistol or whatever just in case.

So after you've got your main combat weapon chosen, pick a utility skill. By utilities I mean stuff like Biotech (which lets medkits heal you more, and in Dragonfall opens up a surprising number of bonus dialogue options), or Dodge (the ability not to be hit), or Body (which affects your HP). I think any character should probably have a minimum of 3 in Body but if you plan on doing a lot of melee or being in danger it is definitely worth pumping that up to 6 or even higher.

Some good general character concepts:

Pure street samurai: a lot of Body, Strength, and Quickness, a melee or unarmed skill, and a gun skill. Put leftover points into Dodge. You'll be a pure combat beast.

Decker: You'll need a Decker on most missions to unlock doors and access extra information and cash, so being that dude yourself is often a good call. Decking goes well with a ranged combat skill (I like Pistols but other people are very happy with Rifles) but you can also get a huge amount of mileage out of being a Decker/Rigger, putting all your points into intelligence and not even bothering to carry a weapon - your robot friends are your weapon.

Mage/Shaman - You can be a pure spellcaster, pumping up both Willpower and Charisma to get access to as many casting options as possible, or you can devote yourself to one specific flavor of magic (only spirit summoning or only arcane spellcasting, for instance) and use the other points to improve a melee or ranged weapon skill to add to your versatility.

"Face" - a high-Charisma character with a lot of Etiquettes may not be a killer on the battlefield, but they often don't need to be, because the game gives you ample opportunities to bypass fights entirely or resolve otherwise unresolvable situations if you're a good fast-talker. Corporate and Security etiquettes are by far the most useful, followed by Gang, Academic, or Shadowrunner, with Socialite and Street coming in somewhat last.

Lastly, unless you're a caster, you're going to want cyberware, but - and this is frustrating - WAIT. Don't buy the first stuff you see. The game releases progressively better and better cyberware as you progress, so your best bet is to wait till the later-game and stuff as much of that sweet 'ware into you as can fit rather than settle for some bulky, crappy cyberleg that will drop your Essence by a ton and prevent you getting something better later on.

THE INTERFACE
    Press C to open your character sheet. f5 quicksaves and f9 quickloads. Left-Alt highlights all interactable objects you can currently see on the map. You can't trade items between characters, no dragging and dropping party member A's medkit onto party member B or whatever.

COMBAT
    Combat works like XCOM, if you've played that. Characters get 2 Action Points. You can see, in their little portraits in the top right of the screen, a little number 2, 1, or 0 on the bottom right of the portrait; that is their current number of Action Points. You can use an Action Point to move or to shoot, and you can move twice, shoot twice, etc. Some actions - like certain powerful spells, or well-aimed shots from a rifle - take 2 action points to complete, so they will consume your full turn to use. You can tell what the action's AP cost is by looking at the number in the bottom right of the icon for that action.

Characters with multiple weapons can switch between them by clicking the little weapon silhouettes on the bottom left of the screen. This costs no actions to do. Characters with multiple inventory types - like a spell book and a backpack full of grenades, or a list of miscellaneous special powers granted by equipment - can switch between those lists by clicking the little head and backpack icons on the bottom right of the screen. Again, this costs no action points to do.

The goal of combat is to get your dudes into cover (symbolized by a little shield icon that is empty, half full, or full) and shoot at enemies that are out of cover (symbolized by either having no shield at all, which indicates that they are out in the open, or a shield that's been X-ed out, which indicates that they would have cover except that they're currently Flanked). The advantage of cover is that it reduces all incoming damage and also makes you immune to critical hits. Flanked enemies or enemies out in the open are not immune to critical hits and will explode into very satisfying blood chunks very quickly if you focus on them first.

If an enemy is in cover, either try to work your way around to an uncovered side to attack them from, or hit them with an area of effect attack such as a grenade or a spell. Stunning attacks, such as flashbang grenades and tasers, drain enemy action points, making the enemy unable to move as much or take as many actions on their turn. If you drain ALL of an enemy's AP, they are completely stunned and fall out of cover, making them an easy target!

You'll notice that some bigger or tougher-looking characters have little white pips along their health bars. This indicates their armor. Armor reduces all incoming damage by a flat amount (so armor 3 subtracts 3 damage from all incoming shots, let's say). Heavily armored enemies might be able to shrug off some attacks completely; that means your best bet is to use max-damage attacks or any sort of special ammunition, spells, or powers that grant an armor-piercing effect.

Overwatch, the little dot icon with a semicircle over it, is unlocked for all weapons or melee attacks at rank 3. So if your character has Spellcasting 4 and Pistols 2, he can do Overwatch with his Arcane Bolt spell but not with his pistol. When you select Overwatch, you need to select the attack they'll be using and the direction they'll be looking for trouble in.

Your party members' inventories replenish themselves after every mission so don't be shy about using their equipment. You already know what medkits and grenades do. Trauma kits automatically heal your characters for some amount of HP when they hit 0, OR, if a character without a trauma kit is downed, a character with a kit can run over and use it to revive them (within three rounds). Fetish totems are one-shot consumable items that shamans can use to summon spirits into battle. Most major battle areas in the game also have a couple of interactable points (visible during the shaman's turn) where you can click on them and a shaman character can summon a spirit for free, without a totem, and these spirits are often pretty powerful.

THE MATRIX
    The electronic cyberwebs of the information superfreeway work exactly like movement and combat in the real world except that the decker character has a single basic attack and a suite of more powerful abilities (better attacks, area attacks, self-heals, buffs, debuffs, etc) based on what Programs he has chosen to install before hacking in - Programs have pretty self-explanatory names like Blaster, Killer, Medic, Shield, and so forth. ESPs are special programs that summon a digital ally to help out in combat, and although ESP programs are bought and sold from merchants under the "consumable" tab, they never actually go away. If your ESP dies in the Matrix you can't summon it again during that particular hack but if you jack out of the system and come back later it will be ready to summon again.

LEVELING UP
    There seem to be three big competence thresholds: early on, if you have something (particularly a gun skill) at 4, you're about at the target difficulty. Later, in the mid game, you want things around 7. Finally, at the end game, you want your marquee stats at 9 or 10. So focus on getting your skills to those targets at those points.

SHADOWRUN RETURNS-SPECIFIC ADVICE
    For Shadowrun Returns, definitely pick Corporate and Security as your etiquettes. They are super helpful. Avoid Academic and Socialite.

DRAGONFALL-SPECIFIC ADVICE
    The best Etiquettes in Dragonfall are Corporate and Security, easily. No others come up nearly as often or yield such tangible rewards. Academic is fantastic - it gives ok in-game rewards but is super handy for players who want to dig deeper into the story, as it lets your guy decipher scientific documents etc (this is also why the Biotech skill is useful specifically in this game)). Criminal and Shadowrunner are both useful on a couple of important occasions. Gang comes up like once and I am not sure if Socialite ever does.

I think all the leveling up your party member paths are pretty valid but in Dietrich's case I was all about free extra spirits and Eiger's upgraded sniper rifle is a fucking beast.

Finally,

- talk to every NPC after important missions. It does affect the outcome of the late game in small but cool ways.
    - just like a Bioware game, all your companions have side stories (bar Dietrich, whose quest is also part of the main chain). Push them on their backstories. Glory doesn't want to talk to you and the options are kind of misleading and make it seem like if you wait she'll open up - she doesn't. You have to actually push her into talking a bit, but once you start it opens up some of the best content in the game.
    - Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, never make a deal with a dragon

Thank you for this

I've got to put a crew together for a job investigating another victim of the Ripper.

I'll make sure I have a decker

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I stand corrected. Our textures will blot out the sun
    Then we will render in the shade.

sig.gif
    edited October 2019
    out today!

Oct 10 - A Knight's Quest EGS (Epic Game Store, Action, Adventure, Zelda, Skate4)

Oct 10 - Mistover (RPG, Adventure, Strategy, Anime, Turn-Based)

Oct 10 - Valfaris (Action, Gore, Metal, Pixel Graphics, Platformer)

Oct 10 - Grid (Racing, Sports, Simulation, Action)

Oct 10 - PINE (Adventure, RPG, Action, Simulation)

Brolo on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Peas wrote: »
    Is Mistover anime darkest dungeon

V5GzVKbh.jpg
    7pzPBIah.jpg
    lMS8cGYh.jpg

Also out today:

Oct 10 - Dune Sea (Adventure, Titled Goose Game, Exploration, Relaxing, Nature)

Oct 10 - Deliver us the Moon (Adventure, Space, Action, Sci-fi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvjWPeCAWI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQruOD5GcdE

Winter Ember, previously called Ghost, is an upcoming isometric stealth action game.

Looks like Thief + Metal Gear?

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

V5GzVKbh.jpg
    7pzPBIah.jpg
    lMS8cGYh.jpg

Yes.

Or: Darkest Dungeon: Etrian Odyssey Edition.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

V5GzVKbh.jpg
    7pzPBIah.jpg
    lMS8cGYh.jpg

Yes.

Or: Darkest Dungeon: Etrian Odyssey Edition.

The art style makes me think of The Dark Spire
    the-dark-spire-20090416040558354.jpg?fit=bounds&width=640&height=480

JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.