As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Husbandry

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Husbandry

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    YeOldeWizardYeOldeWizard Registered User regular
    I've been hoping to see this stuff in a comic since Mike talked about it at the Q&A.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    They say getting things serviced only feels like it takes a long time.

But let me tell you, my grandmother took me to get her Saturn's tires rotated in 1998 and I'm still there.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

But let me tell you, my grandmother took me to get her Saturn's tires rotated in 1998 and I'm still there.

*resists urge to find stock photo of service center waiting room, put OctoberRavens avatar in there, turn it black and white and make a video of it zooming out while playing haunting music*

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Impressive considering their first models were produced in 1990.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The last panel cracked me the hell up. The drawing is too good! Well done

Vladimer on
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    make sure you listen to some Ken Burns documentary music while you read this comic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmxZThb084

• Options
    Wonder when the last time was we got a strip that featured so much of G&T flexing their chops simultaneously.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    What kind of service center are we talking about here? I don't think I've ever encountered a waiting room that gives you muffins and popcorn.

• Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    You guys need to change what the symbols underneath the comics mean. I always find myself highlighting the question mark because I have so many questions.

But I guess that particular symbol is just designed to throw me to some random trapping from the past.

• Options
    T-Danger wrote: »
    What kind of service center are we talking about here? I don't think I've ever encountered a waiting room that gives you muffins and popcorn.

Muffins no (at least not free ones) but I've seen free popcorn and coffee machines.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Wait, why is that impressive? I'm literally not getting it. I can get it if they the OP said 1990 and they weren't actually made until 1998, but they didn't.

I'm guessing auto service center. AKA the mechanics. There are fancy ones, especially if you own a fancy car and/or it's at a dealership. I've seen dealerships where it basically looks like an internet cafe because so many people work remotely while waiting.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

The Mazda dealership where I take my car has free popcorn, water bottles, and one of those machines that dispenses various hot coffee and/or chocolate beverages. They also often have other food sitting out as well. There could be muffins, but I haven't noticed since I usually head straight for the popcorn. ;)

Also, this talk of waiting rooms made me think of this:

zqz1qhh7dn8h.gif

(How many people can hear the waiting room music in their heads right now?)

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    dennis wrote: »

Wait, why is that impressive? I'm literally not getting it. I can get it if they the OP said 1990 and they weren't actually made until 1998, but they didn't.

Dangit, I read that like 3 times every time thought it said 1988. I thought we'd unlocked the secret to time travel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennis wrote: »

Dangit, I read that like 3 times every time thought it said 1988. I thought we'd unlocked the secret to time travel.

"You discovered time travel, and you used it to by a mediocre sedan a few years ahead of its release???"

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    This may be one of my favorite strips.

My Mazda dealer has muffins if you get there early in the morning. They don't, you know, restock them or anything. There is also a vending machine but you have to put actual physical currency in it instead of just waving your phone at it. Barbarians.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    The waiting rooms around where I live all seem to put a 24 hour news or sports network on, instead of music. Not sure that's an improvement.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    The waiting rooms around where I live all seem to put a 24 hour news or sports network on, instead of music. Not sure that's an improvement.

Last time I went it was Judge Judy and soaps. Not having watched TV in a long time, it was way more entertaining than I even would have expected.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Yeah, all these TVs and channels and they choose to put nothing but doom and despair, with brief breaks of the same sports highlight over and over. It's like... come on. And everybody is like, awkwardly staring around into space or into their laptops and stuff. Never seen a popcorn machine in a waiting room though.

One time on jury duty they brought in cake... it wasn't box cake either.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It probably depends on the perceived prestige of the company as well. I imagine the waiting room at a Mercedes dealership is going to have more of the snacks and cakes than the waiting room of Ted's Auto Shop. That being said, the wiring harness costing $2,500 as opposed to $600 also puts things into perspective.

Edit: I google image searched Mercedes of Annapolis and one of their images literally has muffins in the background.

zepherin on
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    My local auto place has a popcorn machine and prebagged sitting in front of it. The ford place to has fruit and a keurig machine. I guess that's the one benefit for living in the boonies.