As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    I feel fairly crappy today. Don't accidentally cold turkey yourself off your meds, kids.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but after seeing your posts I set a follow up with my med guy before I ran out of anxiety medicine so thanks a lot!

Do... do you not just mean "my doctor"? Do you buy street anti anxiety meds?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Today I realized that the signs on the teen computers appear to have some kind of beef with Tube.

005ljlelpwao.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    The best thing about having a teaching restaurant on campus is doing minor computer stuff for them and getting free food as thanks.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oh Jesus

A few weeks ago, my manager asked for a fun fact about me. I casually mentioned that my Dad's name is Elmo. People seem to love that little nugget of banter.

I'm now on a department-wide conference call with a presentation and everyone is taking turns reading out their fun fact.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    I get a lot of spam email targeted at someone named Alan.

My name isn't Alan.

Thank you for decreasing the spam for the rest of us! You are doing a noble and heroic thing! :P

There's a bank that has my email address on someone else's account. My account name is the first four letters of my first name and the first three of my last name, and it's one letter off from this guy's first name and last initial, so I assume he made a typo when creating his account. And the bank completely stonewalled me when I called them to try to fix it.

Fortunately, I just get account update emails for him, and they don't have a lot of PII in them. I shudder to think if he had opted in for e-statements.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I find it super weird that these banks use regular email. All the banks I know have a special mailbox in the online interface where anything ends up, so you can only access it after logging in with eletronic id. Anything else they send by post. I don't think they're allowed to use email here.

• Options
    During orientation, the system asks new employees to fill out a form asking for their favorite book, a fun fact about themselves, and a personal reason libraries matter to them. These are then posted on the intranet along with a photo so we can all get to know a little about the new hire.

There's typically a sharp contrast between the ones written by front-line librarian staff and those written by security officers and maintenance workers. Our new head of maintenance has created a modern classic of the genre:

Favorite Book, Series, or Author:

Interesting Fact About Me: Married to a British person

Why Libraries Matter To Me: Books

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Oooh, this is fun.

Butcher's Dresden Files, or Fforde's Thursday Next series. For now.

Interesting Fact About Me:
    A giraffe bit my hand once.

Why Libraries Matter To Me: One day the machines will turn against us, and it's important to have a backup for the internet so that we can fight back.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Oooh, this is fun.

Butcher's Dresden Files, or Fforde's Thursday Next series. For now.

Interesting Fact About Me:
    A giraffe bit my hand once.

Why Libraries Matter To Me: One day the machines will turn against us, and it's important to have a backup for the internet so that we can fight back.

And the next Dresden book is finally coming out

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    ULTRA FRIDAX! (with 24 hour duty debuff)

Kids are off tomorrow and Friday so I'm taking those days as well. Then I have Monday off as a holiday but the kids don't, the only day of the year this generally happens.

Both my supervisor and my analyst are out today, so the accomplishment stakes are higher, with great potential for getting work done on my own and feeling good about it, or doing fuck-all and proper checking out, as ULTRA FRIDAX insists.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    vg6UbpVl.png

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Work thread! I can't find my motivation. This has been a slow moving week for me. Please help. (Edit: I realize the forums aren't helping!)

Favorite Book, Series, or Author: Terry Pratchett

Interesting Fact About Me: I've been chased by a Hippo and lived to tell the tale.

Why Libraries Matter To Me: My wife works at one. Also libraries are an amazing thing for the greater good!

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Update: Still no money in my budget. Paychecks still coming. Our emails to the admin are getting returned due to "full inboxes" so I guess we aren't the only ones.

I'm running negative triple digits of taxpayer money right now.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Update: Still no money in my budget. Paychecks still coming. Our emails to the admin are getting returned due to "full inboxes" so I guess we aren't the only ones.

I sorta feel like it might be a good idea for folks with direct deposit to not leave the money in that account.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience using the Netsuite ERP? Just got the sales pitch and I'm curious about real-world opinions.

We used it for timesheet stuff and it was a NIGHTMARE. It was a pain to migrate data from our old system into it, the automatic processes were a pain to set up (took months for PTO to be calculated correctly), it had god awful performance for what seemed like simple tasks.

Would not recommend!

@Flarne

We used it as an erp for my last job. Did not use the timesheet function. It was a decent erp for the price, especially for a small company. It certainly had its issues, such as the manufacturing module not being as robust as i would have liked. It was easy to write custom reports to pull data and the part master database was easy to set up and maintain. I would probably look into it if i was setting up a small business.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Re: people screwing up email addresses, I have a related but different tale to tell. I've probably told it here before but hey, a guy only has so many stories.

Back around the dawn of the age of email, in 1993, I and my fellow college freshmen received our first email addresses. I made up a cool handle for my account name, because I was 18 and all about Cyberpunk 2020.

Spent that first summer back at home. When I returned in the fall, I had a number of reunions with friends where they referenced the emails we had supposedly exchanged over the summer. I had not been a party to these email exchanges at all. Investigation revealed that they had sent emails to drake.chambers@university.edu, which happened to be a real guy in law school who had been less creative than I when he chose his email address. Also being new to email, he didn't recognize that these strangers thought he was someone else ("I just thought people were being friendly," he would later say) and happily enjoyed corresponding with them.

Four years later, I was living in an apartment and I opened a piece of mail addressed to me to find it was a bar association credit card that I had not ordered. Looked closer at envelope and, yep - guy lived in the same apartment building as me.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My supply contact at company HQ uses smilies in her emails.

This shouldn't bother me, yet every time I see it I glower at my screen so hard.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    stopgap wrote: »
    I feel fairly crappy today. Don't accidentally cold turkey yourself off your meds, kids.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but after seeing your posts I set a follow up with my med guy before I ran out of anxiety medicine so thanks a lot!

Do... do you not just mean "my doctor"? Do you buy street anti anxiety meds?

I mean my psychiatrist, i just didnt want to try and spell psychiatrist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

I sorta feel like it might be a good idea for folks with direct deposit to not leave the money in that account.

That's not how university financing works. Essentially we always are running at a deficit. Until something says to stop paying, the University keeps paying out what is promised. Even when that money doesn't exist, because it will eventually be comp'd by the state. The fact no one knows or will decide upon who is covering this money owed for our salaries, phones, power, etc. isn't an us problem in that regard. But it is a big problem for the university, because someone will have to pay it. Somewhere. Maybe that's robbing from another unit. Maybe thats an across the board cut one year. Who knows.

But the checks now will always clear until we are formally fired, reorg'd, or supported. The budget for next year, and the years after, who knows?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    My supply contact at company HQ uses smilies in her emails.

This shouldn't bother me, yet every time I see it I glower at my screen so hard.

Try responding with a :mad:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The perceived need for women to use weaker language and things like smilies in their email correspondence is real; I have seen it a lot in all of the jobs I have worked both from coworkers and other businesses, so I wouldn’t be too harsh.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm actively trying to not let it bother me!

This day is just piling on though. Somebody burnt tuna in the breakroom and the smell started pumping out through the vent in my office.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Yes, but tell that to his anxiety (which I am sincerely glad you are seeking medication for, @Stragint ).

I'm just hoping I can get a refill before I run out.

I also don't know how I'm supposed to feel on these so I don't know how to tell if they are working or not.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Okay guys, come on - the filters and the coffee ground packets are right there in the open

Don't be pulling this shit where no one thinks its a good idea to start a new pot! Common courtesy, people

• Options
    Okay guys, come on - the filters and the coffee ground packets are right there in the open

Don't be pulling this shit where no one thinks its a good idea to start a new pot! Common courtesy, people

rbl00z20x7pl.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Too many motherfuckers not making new pots of coffee when a pot is down to the dregs.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just made a fresh pot of coffee when I had drained the last one!

Also, training the new staff assistant is going well. She's real smart and willing to learn everything she can.

Weirdly, it's been kind of a slowish week so far, so I'm finding myself saving work that comes to me so I can show her how to do it, or have her do it on her own.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Everyday. I went to get some coffee the other day and my boss was getting a new pot together "You'd think people would be courteous enough to put a new pot on." I shrugged and replied 'The only way to guarantee coffee is to first make a universe where the coffee fills itself'. This confused him and he just grunted in response.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Too many motherfuckers not making new pots of coffee when a pot is down to the dregs.

I'm at work so someone please insert the relevant Terry Tate Office Linebacker video here.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    A dev I work with is having an issue where our antivirus is deleting/quarantining programs he compiles from source.

Does he talk to IT about it? No

Does he send an email to my boss urgently asking me to talk to IT about it on his behalf, even though he's the only fucking person who has the issue? Yes

Does he then also leave to office for like 3 hours for some damn reason so none of us can get in touch with him? Also yes

Is he pissy when he gets back that I didn't talk to IT for him and he has to actually do it himself? Also yes

Smurph on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Another coffee gripe - if your office has more than one kind of coffee, brew the right coffee in the right pot you assholes.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Yes, but tell that to his anxiety (which I am sincerely glad you are seeking medication for, @Stragint ).

I'm just hoping I can get a refill before I run out.

I also don't know how I'm supposed to feel on these so I don't know how to tell if they are working or not.

"Less anxious", hopefully

Try keeping a notebook where you just log - very briefly - every time you have anxiety symptoms, however those manifest for you (from your posts here looks like eg irrational fears/ obsessive or intrusive thoughts/ task fixation or lack of ability to prioritise - your psychiatrist or therapist should be able to give you a more accurate list of things to watch out for), and if they stopped you doing anything, or you felt compelled to do something. Then over time you can get some kind of indication about whether either the incidence or severity (or both) have decreased on the medication.

(i am not a doctor etc etc)

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dear jab thread, I got my flu shot today, because work is offering them for free.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dear jab thread, I got my flu shot today, because work is offering them for free.

Hi5 I also got mine just now.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Annual reminder to all the healthy adults who have a healthy immune system to get their flu shots so they don't fall victim to cytokine storms!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    related: who's got two thumbs and micoplasmic pneumonia

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    The perceived need for women to use weaker language and things like smilies in their email correspondence is real; I have seen it a lot in all of the jobs I have worked both from coworkers and other businesses, so I wouldn’t be too harsh.

I never used to and tried to strike a more professional tone in most of my work e-mails, but have started being a lot more loose with using smilies because yeah, it turns out some people will take the tone of a professional-sounding email entirely wrong, even if I dial it back for coworkers I can be more casual with

I've seen coworkers throw tantrums and delay projects for weeks because of a perceived harsh tone to an email which was not the intent of the sender (who was more of a technical guy and therefore writes a lot more coldly than he comes across in real life)

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Yesterday I got an email from my supervisor consisting of nothing but a head shaking emoji. Even more perplexing, it was a reply to an email from me which simply said "3pm is fine!"

Riddle me THAT, professional communication.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When they would remake coffee at Walmart they would use two or three of those coffee packets so it had a certain strong flavor