As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i like to watch the tv

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    He's so chonky!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    When it comes to the Addams Family, which version of Thing do you prefer?

A. A hand (attached to an arm) that reaches out of pots, boxes, or holes in the wall/floor -- like in the original television series.

B. A disembodied ambulatory hand that roams around as it pleases -- like in the movies.

Note that Ben Grimm is not a member of the Addams Family.

Well thing is supposed to be an ambulatory hand even in the old show. He's their valet.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah the wedding episode of Superstore was... yikes

I did enjoy Jeff flipping Mateo off multiple times, though, that was extremely funny

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    When it comes to the Addams Family, which version of Thing do you prefer?

A. A hand (attached to an arm) that reaches out of pots, boxes, or holes in the wall/floor -- like in the original television series.

B. A disembodied ambulatory hand that roams around as it pleases -- like in the movies.

Note that Ben Grimm is not a member of the Addams Family.

Well thing is supposed to be an ambulatory hand even in the old show. He's their valet.

Thing was originally supposed to be a horrific creature that lived in the house, too terrible to behold, with his only visible and comprehensible element being his suspiciously human hand.

The TV show turned this into the version that pops out of various nooks and crannies, but it's unclear as to whether this is to supposed to be an extension of Thing's body, presumably lining the walls of the house, or as a disembodied hand of some sort. The disembodied hand Thing wasn't really created until the 90s movies.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Oh man a hundred new posts, what celebrity did something awful this time

:O

:D

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Huh so the bartender dude on Stumptown looks just enough like Zouks that its causing me some distress.

Why isn't he yelling?

Also the robot from Being human is here!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Gizmodo wrote:
    You may have caught word a couple of months back of a limited-time, 3-year, discounted Disney+ subscription that shook out to about $4 per month, or roughly the cost of a cup of coffee. If that wasn’t enough to turn the heads of some wayward Netflix subscribers, maybe a second chance to score the streaming service at a deep discount ahead of its official launch will do the trick.

The Disney+ deal, which was reported by the Orlando Sentinel, will knock about $40 off a three-year subscription that would normally put you out $210 (at the annual rate of $70). Put another way, the discount essentially means you’d be paying $170 for three years of the service, or just under $5 per month for most of what Disney+ has to offer, including Pixar, innumerable past Disney films, Star Wars, National Geographic, every season of The Simpsons, Marvel films and series, and a bunch of originals like The Mandalorian.

A Disney spokesperson told Gizmodo by phone that deal—a Founders Circle promotion for Disney park loyalists—is active through October 11. But I, notably not a parks loyalist, successfully purchased the subscription at the discounted $170 rate. To get it, head to this link and input the code “PARKSPASS3YEARS”. It’s worth noting that like the previous deal, this offer doesn’t include Hulu and ESPN+, which will be included in a Disney+ bundle for $13 when the service launches on Nov. 12.

If you're in the US and fine with a 3 year commitment, you can get Disney+ for $5/month within the next 48 hours; https://founders.disneyplus.com/ PARKSPASS3YEARS

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    boy

Do what you want

But preordering an as yet nonexistant service sure seems like

A Move

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I know parents who are essentially 100% guaranteed to have Disney+ for longer than that, so it's not like it's a bad deal

It's not like you have no idea what this service is going to look like, it's gonna have fuckin Disney shit

• Options
    yes but you don't know how its gonna perform, how things will enter and exit the service, how pricing will or won't change

Youre handing them a significant chunk of money with a ton of unknowns tied to it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Yes you are the savvy consumer

It's a bunch of Disney shit! My friends kids are going to want to watch that for way more than three fucking years, they're going to be subbed for the rest of their goddamn lives.

I mean ultimately, it's not actually that huge a savings since the normal price is only like seven bucks, but whatever.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's a great deal. Disney + is going nowhere and you know it's always going to have at least Disney content on it which would be enough for me for the next few years no matter what else

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    yes but you don't know how its gonna perform, how things will enter and exit the service, how pricing will or won't change

Americans don't

A trial test (with limited content) has been out in New Zealand officially since Sept 12 https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-plus-launch-free-trial-netherlands-marvel-pixar-1203333441/

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Doesn't include the Hulu bundle, so I'm waiting for that

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Yeah that's basically why I'm not too tempted

I'm springing for the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle anyway

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Huh so the bartender dude on Stumptown looks just enough like Zouks that its causing me some distress.

Why isn't he yelling?

Isn't the bartender Jake Johnson?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'll get the stupid Disney+ bundle with the anime and HBO and shit

May as well consolidate those costs to one thing

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah I'll get the stupid Disney+ bundle with the anime and HBO and shit

May as well consolidate those costs to one thing

Those are two different services

But yes I'm also looking at subbing to the Disney+ bundle and then also HBO Max as basically my "full" TV service

• Options
    Oh, are they? I thought they were offering them all as one dumb package.

• Options
    Disney+ will be bundled with Hulu and ESPN+

• Options
    Ahhh, okay. I don't know where I read that HBO was included, then.

• Options
    Disney doesn't own them yet, anyway

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Why isn't he yelling?

Isn't the bartender Jake Johnson?
    Yeah

Johnson and Mantzoukas don't look super similar to me outside of Have Beards

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There is zero chance Disney + performs poorly. They're going to put the money into it to ensure it works

• Options
    I can understand the trepidation for prepaying for a streaming service coming from a smaller company that's just trying to get the whole streaming thing off the ground.

But this is Disney. They aren't fucking this up.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The problem with the Disney+/Hulu bundle is that it is not the ad-free version of Hulu. That service is miserable with ads.

• Options
    I can understand the trepidation for prepaying for a streaming service coming from a smaller company that's just trying to get the whole streaming thing off the ground.

Disney fucks things up all the time

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    There is zero chance Disney + performs poorly. They're going to put the money into it to ensure it works

Even if it does underperform, Disney will keep it going for at least three years. There's zero chance they'll pull a service this big within that timeframe.

• Options
    I've got the "ad supported" version of Hulu and it doesn't really bother me much, honestly

Like back before they introduced a no ad version I thought I'd switch, but I just check my phone for a minute like once or twice an episode of whatever I'm watching

• Options
    Also I think a lot of people underestimate just how many Netflix subs exist purely because Netflix has the best kids selection on the market currently

• Options

Disney fucks things up all the Tim elixire

They aren't going to fuck up the basic workings of a streaming service.

Will it have some hiccups out of the gate? I'm sure. But they're going to fix them. They are out to kill Netflix, they'll be putting plenty of money into it to keep it running as smooth as possible.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

It's totally understandable to be anti-Disney, but their streaming service is very likely to run well, and they're not going to lose content that they own, and if they've sold people a 3-year service at a set price, that price won't change within that period. Come on now. There's a point when this becomes silly - people are aware of what Disney is, and don't need to be chastised if they want to get a good deal.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I upgraded Hulu based solely on how much more often Hulu with ads would crash on me when it went to the ad break. I didn't really mind the ads, but having to regularly restart the episode and try to figure out where you were because the ad couldn't load properly was making the whole experience a lot worse.

• Options
    Grislo wrote: »

It's totally understandable to be anti-Disney, but their streaming service is very likely to run well, and they're not going to lose content that they own, and if they've sold people a 3-year service at a set price, that price won't change within that period. Come on now. There's a point when this becomes silly - people are aware of what Disney is, and don't need to be chastised if they want to get a good deal.

I'm not "chastising" anyone

I wouldn't preorder a streaming service from ANY company, disney or not

It seems like an inherently bad idea to me

people are free to do whatever they want

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Disney fucks things up all the Tim elixire

They aren't going to fuck up the basic workings of a streaming service.

Will it have some hiccups out of the gate? I'm sure. But they're going to fix them. They are out to kill Netflix, they'll be putting plenty of money into it to keep it running as smooth as possible.

What is a Tim elixire and how are you making it? Is this why I seem to keep loosing hair while I'm asleep?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I upgraded Hulu based solely on how much more often Hulu with ads would crash on me when it went to the ad break. I didn't really mind the ads, but having to regularly restart the episode and try to figure out where you were because the ad couldn't load properly was making the whole experience a lot worse.

i got a real good deal on it and then never canceled

i feel like that's the story behind a lot of streaming service subscriptions

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

You seem like you're being fatuous though. If you don't want to do it that's fine but you keep arguing for the cause of Disney might fuck it up and nobody believes that's going to happen here.

• Options

You seem like you're being fatuous though. If you don't want to do it that's fine but you keep arguing for the cause of Disney might fuck it up and nobody believes that's going to happen here.

I can have an opinion without that also saying that people who disagree with me are stupid or wrong

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

They opened up a skyliner at Disney World and it broke within three days of opening!

• Options
    I don't think Disney will "fuck it up"

But I do think that their service won't be the streaming panacea that it has been treated as prior to its release, either due to Disney not having as much control of their own media as has been otherwise suggested, or through the creation of artificial restrictions upon all of that media

I assume the service itself will work as well as any of these things do (read: not very well, but technically competent), I just don't have faith in the content to be as good as it has been imagined to be

This discussion has been closed.