As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's get this [job] thread!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    related: who's got two thumbs and micoplasmic pneumonia

that sounds bad!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Presumably most everyone who has microplasmic pneumonia, though it could be less than 100% depending on how often they use power tools and their safety practices.

steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2019
    Shorty wrote: »

that sounds bad!

It's actually the best kind of pneumonia! Well, least debilitating anyway. About the only thing it stops me doing is moderate to strenuous cardio.
    Still annoying, though. And from past experience, the antibiotics to treat it do a fucking number on my stomach.
    Presumably most everyone who has microplasmic pneumonia, though it could be less than 100% depending on how often they use power tools and their safety practices.

Sounds like SOMEONE hasn't met Coughing Jeremy, the ex-lumberjack.

edit: that joke was workshopped in real time, hope you all appreciate the craft

tynic on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've had the Ghostbusters orchestral score just playing low key from my phone all day to go with my outfit. It is like I have my own musical accompaniment. Students have been very confused.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    professional communication is joke

emojis all day every day and throw a few swears in there for good measure

zkHcp.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I guarantee you everyone I exchange emails with thinks I am constantly furious

which is mostly true! but usually for reasons unrelated to whatever we're talking about.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    one of the supervisors at my work is famous for sending emails WITH A LOT OF CAPS and pictures with red arrows drawn all over them to upper management and other departments about how they are all wrong about whatever issue

He's usually correct in what hes saying, but his messaging isn't taken in the best light. Personally I find it hilarious

Al_wat on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    one of the supervisors at my work is famous for sending emails WITH A LOT OF CAPS and pictures with red arrows drawn all over them to upper management and other departments about how they are all wrong about whatever issue

He's usually correct in what hes saying, but his messaging isn't taken in the best light. Personally I find it hilarious

Are there circles to go with the arrows? 8x10 color glossy photos with a paragraph on the back explaining what each one is?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    About the only thing that genuinely annoys me in emails is changing the fonts or colors to something hard to read.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    About the only thing that genuinely annoys me in emails is changing the fonts or colors to something hard to read.

We ll it co ul db ew wo sr eI di do ne cw ri te an em ai lt hi sw ay to an no ys so me on e.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

We ll it co ul db ew wo sr eI di do ne cw ri te an em ai lt hi sw ay to an no ys so me on e.

You monster, that's bad enough without typos!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Any kind of pneumonia deserves 4 weeks off from work or school and endless naps and soup during that period change my mind

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Any kind of pneumonia deserves 4 weeks off from work or school and endless naps and soup during that period change my mind

Have you considered 5 weeks?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »

normally I'd disagree but damn I could really go a nap right now.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I just unfucked a massive scheduling disaster that threatened my upcoming vacation. Everything is good now.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've had the Ghostbusters orchestral score just playing low key from my phone all day to go with my outfit. It is like I have my own musical accompaniment. Students have been very confused.

Also you better believe I denied there being any music.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Whew, training a new person is exhausting. Thankfully she seems real smart and fully capable, otherwise it’d be frustrating too.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    So the new job is so far cool. I've found out the company that I'm going to be working with and the kind of equipment I'll be designing. I'll learning more details today and Thursday regarding those. The building is pretty swank even though I don't have an office, it's a good sized cube. There are free drinks, including seltzer and diet dr. pepper, cheap snacks, free bread (can't eat), and fresh fruit. They also grind the coffee (Starbucks French Roast & Pike's Peak). When I was chatting with the IT guy about how happy I was with the setup I said, "It's great, I couldn't ask for anything more, aside from a ping pong table." And he was like, "Dude, we have a ping pong table!" And we do! I went and checked it out, it's in great shape as are the paddles. Also, we're going to be getting a gym at the end of the month with a Pelaton bike (free accounts for all) and a concept 2 rower. There will be dumb bells too but I don't know the specifics. Looking forward to getting my row on.

The client I'll work with is in Connecticut, and I'll be spending about a week at a time there. Apparently 2 out of the 3 hotels are dog friendly so I can bring Rosie's dumb butt with me, which is great. I'm really really excited to get going on the project.

One downside, I did spot some mold on a few ceiling tiles, meaning there was water intrusion in the past. I brought in my air quality monitor and it read as excellent, so I won't be too loaded down with spores but it might not be a bad idea to request a thorough examination of the building.

All in all, I give the new job a 5 out of 7.

Perfect.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Man, I hated training people in my old call center job. It meant having the trainee sitting with me in my cube and as a result completely killed downtime between calls when I would normally have just been reading or playing a game. I had to, ugh, talk to a person.

I did not mind training people as I had to do that in the corps a lot as the MEU worked differently than the regular Corps {same ideals and such just you were expected to bring an A game and more with less}
    Compared to doing it at wal mart some of those people did not want to learn or try out different things which was annoying but I had to work with what I was given and make the most with it

edited October 2019
    Literally the dumbest conversation I have ever had. I ordered a side from Panda Express. It came to $2.08. Cashier says “oh I don’t need the 10 cents, it’s $2.08 and you gave me $5.00.” And I’m like “uhm, yeah, but I don’t want to get 92 cents back” which I had to repeat 2 times because she didn’t seem to understand.. So she finished the sale and hands me three singles. I’m waiting (she’s not looking at me). Finally she looks up and says “oh do you need a bag?” I said “I’m, not really, but you owe me 2 cents.” She clearly didn’t get it even after I briefly explained the math. I really don’t care about 2 cents but that was super weird and I felt super weird lol. I just said “uhhh don’t worry about it” because I wasn’t getting through at all.

Drez on
    edited October 2019
    I posted that in the wrong thread but fuck it.

Also I feel like an asshole even disagreeing with her about it, it was just a really confusing exchange.

Drez on
    Drez wrote: »
    Literally the dumbest conversation I have ever had. I ordered a side from Panda Express. It came to $2.08. Cashier says “oh I don’t need the 10 cents, it’s $2.08 and you gave me $5.00.” And I’m like “uhm, yeah, but I don’t want to get 92 cents back” which I had to repeat 2 times because she didn’t seem to understand.. So she finished the sale and hands me three singles. I’m waiting (she’s not looking at me). Finally she looks up and says “oh do you need a bag?” I said “I’m, not really, but you owe me 2 cents.” She clearly didn’t get it even after I briefly explained the math. I really don’t care about 2 cents but that was super weird and I felt super weird lol. I just said “uhhh don’t worry about it” because I wasn’t getting through at all.

I have this problem far too often here. At first I thought it was just a fluke now I see it as why the education and such of this state is a utter failure

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I ran into the change problem exactly once when I started running a register, and the customer was nice enough to tell me why they gave me the amount they did, and from then on I always accepted the amount they gave me and gave them the change that came from it.

That said, if you are trying to give me different change or whatever after I've already rang the register... my friend, the math has already been done. Move along.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Working fast food was like that for me too. I am doing hundreds of transactions, I am on auto pilot and my register needs to be right at the end of shift, hand me money, I hit the beep boops, you get the change you get, move along. I get the desire for less coins, but I am barely above minimum wage and do noooott care. I serve chicken biscuits, not money changing functions. Add in that there ARE short change artists out there and it's doubly silly for me to bother when it's just a few coins in your pocket.

Well it's problems like last week I bought lotto tickets for $4 I gave 3.25 in quarters 6 dimes and 3 nickels the clerk thanked me with thanks! I don't have to get change now from the machine. you saved me.
    The other employee runs over and asks him what happened he runs down what I gave him the other one confused forces him to open the drawer and recount it as that does not add up.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

Yet another thing I love about Japan: so many stores and restaurants have cash registers that spit out the change automatically so the clerk doesn't do any of the math. They put in the money you give them and the correct amount of change comes out.

godmode on
    Working fast food was like that for me too. I am doing hundreds of transactions, I am on auto pilot and my register needs to be right at the end of shift, hand me money, I hit the beep boops, you get the change you get, move along. I get the desire for less coins, but I am barely above minimum wage and do noooott care. I serve chicken biscuits, not money changing functions. Add in that there ARE short change artists out there and it's doubly silly for me to bother when it's just a few coins in your pocket.

I hear you. But in this case there was literally no one around.

To be fair, I think she may have punched in 5.00 before seeing the dime (she dropped it but now thinking back I think she may not have seen it in the first place). I did give it to her up front tho.

Not a big deal at all, it was just confusing.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I have this problem far too often here. At first I thought it was just a fluke now I see it as why the education and such of this state is a utter failure

This is a result of the cash register doing all the work so your brain shuts off. Been there, done that, felt like a colossal idiot.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Okay, I was reading this and trying to figure it out, and here's the problem, IMO:
    You never actually mention (until two posts down) that you gave her $5 and a dime.

Commander Zoom on
    edited October 2019

Okay, I was reading this and trying to figure it out, and here's the problem, IMO:
    You never actually mention (in this post; not until two posts down) that you gave her $5 and a dime.

Whoops!

You just dropped a dime on my word-omitting ass.

Drez on
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I've been in her shoes. I can do math in my head, no problem... just not while I'm in Most Helpful And Obedient For Good Customer Experience headspace.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I've had that same issue before. I'm really good at math, but the combination of "you need to add AND subtract at the same time" always broke my brain in the moment. If I'm only expecting to have to subtract the total from the money I'm given, this sudden new requirement always made me need to stop for a second and re-orient.

Which was especially hard for me to accomplish when my increasingly-angry customer started yelling at me with the total I needed to hand over to him, as if I was an idiot, when in reality I just needed an extra second of some goddamn silence so *I* could confirm with MYSELF that I'm handing the right amount back.

(Not saying this was what happened with you, but it was a thing that happened to me a few times over my retail jobs that always made me feel super shitty)

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've never worked a register system that didn't do the math for me, if I wasn't capable myself.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've never worked a register system that didn't do the math for me, if I wasn't capable myself.

I've worked with both kinds of registers.

I was trained as a Cashier because I felt my manager at the time wanted me to get fired and this was the easiest way in her mind, It's a complex topic but this manager had issues as she was busted down from CO to assistant Manager and so many more. She took her frustration of work and her life out on the people of that shift. and it was the not most miserable time I was there

I guess it just didn’t...register...for her.

I should be flogged.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You know, in Canada you wouldn't have to worry about the two cents.

You'd just go up and get your side order for $20.10 and then

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    tfw your company has software with an annually renewing license (hi Adobe!) and the expiration hits and no reminders were sent out and nobody set reminders so now you have bundles of calls/emails complaining about the software suddenly stopping working and getting some weird license error and they don't know what this means why isn't this working and what do you mean you can't fix it what's a license why does my department have to spend this money this is IT stuff you should pay for it and I-

...I need to get the fuck up outta here.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac