As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Maybe it'll get people to stop requiring the unofficial patch, which... good. That thing is a bloated nightmare mess that is just a list of things the author doesn't like. It's not a patch or bug fix.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Cool, glad to know that the thing that'll kick over Skyrim mods isn't Bethesda doing something dumb to the engine but us just reaching the point in the community lifecycle where different opinions with strong enough figureheads emerge that the community splits.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Arthmoor would come off as less of a goose if he just removed everything instead.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Arthmoor would come off as less of a goose if he just removed everything instead.

Commentary about this has informed me of just how much of a goose he is, so it's sadly not surprising. Amusingly enough, he's actually banned from the skyrimmods subreddit :v

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I like his city mods, fwiw.

He’s definitely a goose though.

The only interaction I have ever had with him was that I pointed out a broken mesh in skyrim SE that had a hall of mirrors effect and wasn’t fixed in the UOP. The response was basically “It only exists in 2 places and it isn’t really noticable so don’t expect a fix anytime soon”

Which fine whatever, but if you aren’t fixing shit like that then what is the point of an unofficial patch?

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    wait, I thought USSEP and USLEEP were a joint project between Quarn, Kivan, and Arthmoor? It's just Arthmoor now???

probably someone else will just make their own overall patch that's actually a fix patch like the various Morrowind ones are, and not "Arthmoor Hates Things, The Patch. "

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is there a growable beard mod yet

• Options
    wait, I thought USSEP and USLEEP were a joint project between Quarn, Kivan, and Arthmoor? It's just Arthmoor now???

probably someone else will just make their own overall patch that's actually a fix patch like the various Morrowind ones are, and not "Arthmoor Hates Things, The Patch. "

It's still a team, Arthmoor just seems to be the outward facing person.

Sigurd posted something up just a bit ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/d973y9/a_view_from_a_member_of_the_unofficial_patch/

• Options
    edited September 2019
    The reasoning in that post - the rationale for switching the Unofficial Patch to an EXE - is either extremely dumb or extremely disingenuous.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    Is there a growable beard mod yet

Yes! https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49994/

Fleeb on
  • Options
    So who needs Skywind or Skyblivion?

Skygerfall is apparently something that exists and just released.

It apparently contains the full main quest from Daggerfall.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It's cool that it exists, but that's one ugly mod.

• Options
    Continuing with "random things which may interest folks", someone finally made a solution for one of the most annoying aspects of starting a new Skyrim game - filling out MCM menus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/29437/

It makes a backup of the MCM settings for every MCM menu, and you can load it in a new save. It's not perfect yet (has trouble with mods which require quitting the menu after activation, etc), but even if you have to manually do a couple, it'll still save a lot of time.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I’m not saying I’m a badass or anything, but I installed the entirety of the Lexy’s LOTD mod list for Skyrim SE and got a clean load the first time with no crashes.

The only issue I ran into was one mod (The Brotherhood of Old) inexplicably adding a second copy of a door in the Thalmor Embassy offset by, like, half a millimeter from the one already there, locked with an Apprentice-level lock that completely hoses the Thalmor Agent start from Live Another Life.

I sought help on the MO2 Discord channel because I’d never tried the Thalmor Agent start, figured I was doing something wrong, and the googles were being particularly unhelpful, and it turns out that the BoO modder has a bit of a reputation.

The Discord, though, was unbelievably helpful.

• Options
    It's a great modlist. Did you use wabbajack? I'm curious to try that, tbh.

• Options
    Nope.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i kinda want to go back to my big save and do all of the extra island and vampire dlc
    but fuck I don't even know how to make that save run anymore

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I need to try and do the morrowind expansion stuff, but every time I just get there I feel this huge disappointment vs the real morrowind and then give up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    @Elvenshae - if you haven't, turn off auto-update on Steam.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1yMbSt5VvaAMkYxUJlqtjv/skyrim-special-edition-creation-club-sneak-peek-2019

Creation Club drop is about to happen, and it'll probably break a lot of mods which rely on SKSE version, because SKSE relies upon game version.

• Options
    I can't believe that in the Year Of Our Luigi 2019 they are still putting out Skyrim content (no matter the source, just any Skyrim content with an official Bethesda stamp of any sort).

That Nod-themed home looks pretty nice, too. The idea of a home in a ship in a cave is cool in the over-the-top way, but with no internal screenshots I can't tell if it's actually any good. The goblin thing also sounds kinda interesting?

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

https://bethesda.net/en/article/1yMbSt5VvaAMkYxUJlqtjv/skyrim-special-edition-creation-club-sneak-peek-2019

Creation Club drop is about to happen, and it'll probably break a lot of mods which rely on SKSE version, because SKSE relies upon game version.

Yeah, that's part of step 0 for the LotD install process. :D

• Options
    Wow that looks like pretty substantial content rather than just random crap, which seems actually pretty cool.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

That's good to know.

After playing a bit of Skyrim I decided to dust off the SE that I have installed, along with ~30 downloaded mods, to see what else I would need to get it up to the standards of the basic game. Last time I checked, SKSE had not come over to the 64-bit edition, so, yes, I was a bit out of date.

So far...can't get the Bodyslide and Outfit Studio Tool to work (that's right, judge me, judge me hard) on account of the whole "Virtual Mod" implementation that is standard in Vortex. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I should switch over to Mod Organizer 2? Hmmm...

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So far...can't get the Bodyslide and Outfit Studio Tool to work (that's right, judge me, judge me hard) on account of the whole "Virtual Mod" implementation that is standard in Vortex. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I should switch over to Mod Organizer 2? Hmmm...
    Hey, tell me more. What about the Bodyslide and Outfit Studio Tool doesn't work? And where does the Vortex virtual mod thing factor in? There might be some specific setup/config step that we're missing to make those two work together.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

That's good to know.

After playing a bit of Skyrim I decided to dust off the SE that I have installed, along with ~30 downloaded mods, to see what else I would need to get it up to the standards of the basic game. Last time I checked, SKSE had not come over to the 64-bit edition, so, yes, I was a bit out of date.

I don't judge. Only when you replace all models with anime catgirls. In bikini "armor". With giant penii for weapons.

Anyway.
    MO2 is the way to go. I personally had a lot of bad luck with Vortex because it won't resolve conflicts or load things in the right order you specify. Only in the order it thinks should go, which can cause CTDs or other problems because the load order is kinda what it thinks it should be. You can even specify that you want some mods to load before others, but it can and often does ignore that because it wants to.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Hey, tell me more. What about the Bodyslide and Outfit Studio Tool doesn't work? And where does the Vortex virtual mod thing factor in? There might be some specific setup/config step that we're missing to make those two work together.

Sure, though I'm probably the wrong person to ask. Vortex is the replacement for Nexus Mod Manager (yes, I know, boo, terrible ,etc.) which uses the same implementation of virtual mods that is now used in MO2--I don't know if that's what they're called, but in any case, rather than manually dropping override folders into your SSE installation, it puts shortcuts to those override folders, which are "safely" stored elsewhere. This does mean you can turn them on or off very easily, just by deactivating shortcuts (previously, NMM had a painstaking changes registry of sorts that would try and manually remove files the way they were installed).

Except this mean everything only exists when the game itself runs. So, a mod like Bodyslide and Outfit Studio runs...and nothing else. No outfit or body configuration files, nothing, because the game isn't running. There's a way to "trigger" Vortex, as the mod manager, to run a tool the same way it runs a game (thereby kicking everything into activation), but having followed the instructions (kind of wish they didn't rely on a GIF)...nothing happens. Considering the CBBE Body tools are one of the earliest SSE mods, I'm sure I'm just an idiot doing something wrong. I've gotten it working in MO2 for Fallout 4.

(To be honest, I'm only running SSE because I've heard it's good for stability. With a GTX 1080ti, I'm really not expecting much performance increase, and all the exclusive mods can only be found on original Skyrim as far as I can tell. I might just be better off just chopping down my mod list in the original game rather than starting from scratch in 64-bit.)

• Options
    Wow that looks like pretty substantial content rather than just random crap, which seems actually pretty cool.

As time has gone on, what they've been pushing has trended in a more interesting an expansive direction, but is constrained in some ways (quest mods have to use vanilla assets, I believe, it can't go over certain sizes to support consoles, etc.) I think Survival Mode has actually been considered will recieved in particular, by the by.

I think it's main problem is most of what's released already has a free version which is in many ways better. Its main advantage is not having to deal with compatability patches for other CC mods, because they make them non-overlapping, I think.
    The idea of a home in a ship in a cave is cool in the over-the-top way, but with no internal screenshots I can't tell if it's actually any good. The goblin thing also sounds kinda interesting?

Case in point, for the ship, The Scarlett has been around for years, and is not only a ship, but a BUILDABLE ship which you can use to move around Skyrim via a "this isn't fast travel" fast travel system. It's also something of a compatability nightmare, particularly around Solitude, as its location is used for various things by other mods.

Goblins have similarly been around for a while in Skyrim Immersive Creatures, although I'm not aware of any ones to use as a follower anywhere.

From what I can tell, Vortex's primary advantage is being able to handle multiple games simultaneously. If you're just focusing on one, I'd just go ahead and swap to MO2.

• Options
    From what I can tell, Vortex's primary advantage is being able to handle multiple games simultaneously. If you're just focusing on one, I'd just go ahead and swap to MO2.

Though I still prefer the original NMM for its Nexus information-side integration, ironically, having spent dozens of hours learning how to use MO2 it has gradually grown on me mildly. I do suspect Vortex is deliberately masking things like override conflicts and permissions for the sake of accessibility.

Plus, I use a single installation of MO2 for Fallout 4. Using a mod organizer to handle all Bethesda games sounds great right up to the point of "Jesus Christ, this folder configuration network is the seventh level of hell." I need to actually look at how MO2 handles game switching.

Plus, at least it lets you store unextracted mods in on separate drive. Vortext does not.

• Options

Sure, though I'm probably the wrong person to ask. Vortex is the replacement for Nexus Mod Manager (yes, I know, boo, terrible ,etc.) which uses the same implementation of virtual mods that is now used in MO2--I don't know if that's what they're called, but in any case, rather than manually dropping override folders into your SSE installation, it puts shortcuts to those override folders, which are "safely" stored elsewhere. This does mean you can turn them on or off very easily, just by deactivating shortcuts (previously, NMM had a painstaking changes registry of sorts that would try and manually remove files the way they were installed).

Except this mean everything only exists when the game itself runs. So, a mod like Bodyslide and Outfit Studio runs...and nothing else. No outfit or body configuration files, nothing, because the game isn't running. There's a way to "trigger" Vortex, as the mod manager, to run a tool the same way it runs a game (thereby kicking everything into activation), but having followed the instructions (kind of wish they didn't rely on a GIF)...nothing happens. Considering the CBBE Body tools are one of the earliest SSE mods, I'm sure I'm just an idiot doing something wrong. I've gotten it working in MO2 for Fallout 4.

(To be honest, I'm only running SSE because I've heard it's good for stability. With a GTX 1080ti, I'm really not expecting much performance increase, and all the exclusive mods can only be found on original Skyrim as far as I can tell. I might just be better off just chopping down my mod list in the original game rather than starting from scratch in 64-bit.)
    Ah, sorry, my bad, I should have specified that I've used Mod Organizer 1 a lot and Vortex a little bit, so I'm familiar with how the virtual mod system works. Didn't mean to have you type all that out!

I was actually specifically thinking about the thing you mentioned: having MO/Vortex launch a tool through itself, thereby letting it see the virtual file structure - but it looks like you already tried that, and I don't have any bright ideas other than that one. Apologies!

Honestly, it might be just some small, dumb setting out of the way somewhere. I have a master's degree in computer science and like 15 years of professional experience as a programmer, but I won't tell you how many hours of my life I've wasted because I forgot to check a checkbox or flip a setting from A to B or whatever, because then it'll be on record and no one would ever hire me again.

• Options
    Case in point, for the ship, The Scarlett has been around for years, and is not only a ship, but a BUILDABLE ship which you can use to move around Skyrim via a "this isn't fast travel" fast travel system. It's also something of a compatability nightmare, particularly around Solitude, as its location is used for various things by other mods.
    Oh man, that is hot.

Every time I see a house mod with the whole display array for Dragon Priest masks, Elder Scrolls, etc etc, I feel a strong urge to reinstall Skyrim and fill in the slots.

• Options
    I hate it because they're usually so slow compared to just having a website, but sadly at this point your best bet for instructions is probably youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba1hVcs9OCo

Here's a video which looks to be specifically bodyslide, etc, with Vortex.

• Options
    Pivot-to-video has obviously been a literal murder of journalism and people's careers, etc etc, whatever, the REAL negative effect has been that instead of quickly scanning a paragraph to get the answer you need, you now instead need to watch a 9-minute video with 15 seconds of relevant information in it. But before you do, make sure you smash that "Like" and "Subscribe", and don't forget to follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Friendster, and the chalkboard down the block from where I live for all the latest updates.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I thought I was making a funny joke but I just actually clicked on the video and it's half an hour long.

To be clear, I don't really mean to bash the folks who do this for a living. The kind of stuff that the streaming/YouTube ecosystem forces on creators is beyond nightmarish, my sincerest condolences to all the people who have to utter that like-n-subscribe litany thirty times a day, but boy does it also shred the user experience.

(But also yes, when you are creating a video intended to be a reference guide, you really need to think about whether or not some human anecdote or aside constitutes useful content.)

Delduwath on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    As announced through Reddit of all places, it looks like The Elder Scrolls Legends is basically dead. Shame. It was the only card game I still played regularly.
    Bethesda wrote:
    We would like to provide an update on Legends in regard to new content. Our previous roadmap indicated we would be releasing one more set this year. We decided to put any new content development or releases on hold for the foreseeable future. This decision will not in any way affect the release and development of GAEA’s Asia-specific version of Legends, which is operated separately, but will inform our decisions on content and feature development going forward.

Until then, you can still download and play Legends on all existing platforms and compete online as well as in the single-player modes. We will also continue to support the game with monthly reward cards and regular in-game events. New expansions and other future content, however, are no longer under active development. We will continue to provide ongoing maintenance support.

To thank you all for supporting Legends these past few years, and for continuing to play with us, we are giving away The Tamriel Collection – an assortment of new, three-attribute cards and more – to all players for free upon their next login. We are immensely grateful to work on The Elder Scrolls: Legends, to have you as a community, and we sincerely appreciate the love and support you’ve given us.

• Options
    In other news, most but not all the major mods have been updated for the new SKSE, so some folks can probably look into changing that.

CCOR got its official port, finally.

HDT-SMP got its source code released under the MIT license, so folks are now updating it and we'll probably start to see physics armors/hairs in places other than Chinese/Russian websites

And I got bit by the bug and have uploaded a series of patches for a city overhaul I like, God help me. I'm falling down the rabbit hole.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't know if anyone is playing it (I certainly wasn't, outside of a bit at "launch") but Blades got an update that added in pvp, guilds (clans, whatever you want to call them, player groups), and removed the opening time on chests.

The latter is a pretty big deal because boy howdy did that put a massive road block on playing the game, when suddenly you were maxed out on chests (or you were abusing the max chest drops and ignoring the vast majority of chests because they were a waste) and even if you played more, you functionally had no access to more items until chests with increasingly absurd open times, opened (or you paid).

So one of the more aggregious gating systems blatantly designed to get you to pay to play at all, has been removed.

No idea how, or if, other things were balanced around this change, to still get money.

There's some other changes that I'm not clear on what kind of difference they make, whether they make the game less of a boring grind through the exact same content over and over and over, but hey, one less glaring issue is one less glaring issue. Whether or not the game is worth playing now, that I can't say.

I'll probably dork around a minute with the update, but honestly I'm really waiting on the Switch port because I hate hate hate on screen controls. Really, I think the chest change might have been dictated by the upcoming Switch port, because a 12hr wait for a chest might be something people are accustomed to on crappy mobile moneygrabs, but not a console they're used to actually playing the games.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I'll probably dork around a minute with the update, but honestly I'm really waiting on the Switch port because I hate hate hate on screen controls. Really, I think the chest change might have been dictated by the upcoming Switch port, because a 12hr wait for a chest might be something people are accustomed to on crappy mobile moneygrabs, but not a console they're used to actually playing the games.
    This was my thought as well.

I've been playing the game on-and-off since launch, going through periods of ignoring it followed by periods of spitefully playing it. The main issue is that I don't, like... find the game fun? Or interesting? The main, core "game" part of it - going through dungeons and waving your weapon at enemies - doesn't do anything for me at all. I don't feel like there are interesting decisions to be made, and I don't find the combat controls engaging. The most egregious thing of all is the weapon switching. They really encourage you to have weapons with different types of elemental damage enchants because enemies will be weak to some damage types and resistant to other damage types, and there's usually at least two different types of enemies mixed in a dungeon, so you will need to swap weapons multiple times. What I'm getting at is that this is a frequent operation. Here are the steps to switch weapons:
    1) Open the menu
    2) Tap the "Character" section
    3) Tap the weapon inventory slot
    4) Tap the specific weapon you want to equip
    5) Tap the "+" that appears on the weapon to equip it
    6) Tap "Back"
    7) Tap "Back"
    8) Tap "Back"
    WHY. Why does it take 8 steps to do the second-most frequent (after attacking) action in a dungeon?! Why is there no shortcut to equipping weapons? Why are there no on-screen "weapon set" slots, so you don't need to dive into menus? It is infuriating, and is in fact the thing that makes me put the game down for stretches. To be fair, you don't have to swap weapons, it will just take way more attacks to kill the enemy - but given that I find the combat generally tedious, I want to get it over with as soon as possible.

So why am I still playing it? 'Cause I'm dumb. I'm curious to see where the (dumb, bare-bones) story goes, and I kinda enjoy the crafting, although I must say that the enchanting part of it is extremely RNG-based and expensive. You can pick the primary enchants, but randomly get 0-2 secondary enchants. You can't ever re-enchant an item, so if you get 0 secondary enchants, or some useless ones, you can feel free to place the item very carefully directly into the garbage.

I'm still level 28, and from what I've read it seems to get more involved at the level cap (where "more involved" means "you need items sets with specific enchants"), so maybe it'll be more interesting when I get there.

This update is absolutely an improvement, but it's also not an improvement in the areas I wanted to see improvements in, namely the bad UI and the shallow combat.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    You can quick slot weapons, spells, potions, scrolls, etc. Maybe look into that.

Also, the combat in default Skyrim is bad. It's slightly more evolved than what it is in Oblivion, but not by huge leaps and bounds. More like a little smooth because they brought in people who knew what they were doing.

One last also, I do kind of find it annoying that the only means of doing anything in Skyrim is kill. I really felt like in Oblivion and Morrowind that there were more than a handful of quests in each that you could resolve without fighting everything all the goddamn time. Skyrim is just half a step away from being Diablo, which is kind of fun sometimes, but also really shallow to me other times.

• Options
    You can quick slot weapons, spells, potions, scrolls, etc. Maybe look into that.

Also, the combat in default Skyrim is bad.
    Oh, yeah, but I was whining and complaining about The Elder Scrolls: Blades - out now on all mobile platforms and coming soon to the Nintendo Switch! Now marginally less tedious and predatory!

• Options
    edited December 2019

Also, the combat in default Skyrim is bad. It's slightly more evolved than what it is in Oblivion, but not by huge leaps and bounds. More like a little smooth because they brought in people who knew what they were doing.

One last also, I do kind of find it annoying that the only means of doing anything in Skyrim is kill. I really felt like in Oblivion and Morrowind that there were more than a handful of quests in each that you could resolve without fighting everything all the goddamn time. Skyrim is just half a step away from being Diablo, which is kind of fun sometimes, but also really shallow to me other times.

Skyrim quests rely too much on dungeons.

Like oblivion a quest would be “go meet the constable, find a criminal out in his house in the city, kill him and return to the constable”

In skyrim its “ go meet the constable, find a criminal in the bottom of a dungeon of bandits, now go back to the constable, who has been captured and is now ALSO IN A DUNGEON OF BANDITS.

Jealous Deva on