As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

enjoy mustard ice cream in the [bad food] thread

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Ubik wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    i don't trust the internet's opinion on anything

Hey, don't be like that. You're the internet, and I trust your opinion.

i am very conflicted about the things that have been said

Look, sometimes it just fits.
    6v0xrkfvl5so.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A bad food opinion
    I treat chocolate as a treat. I know in America you can buy it anywhere and have it at anytime but I rarely have it. An example is when I worked at Walmart they would 75% of the time give us doughnuts {usually the chocolate glazed ones} I argued how I would like fruit instead siting how they toss a lot of the party sampler trays a lot. Just they would say I would look into it and do nothing more. I bought a large bag of peanut M&Ms today and sadly would rather have fruit

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    What is wrong with Keurig?

They're like Nespresso aren't they?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    IIRC a problem with keurig was their whole "individually packaged cups of coffee" thing was stupidly wasteful and plastic pollution contributing? maybe there was other bad stuff too.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Karl wrote: »

Unnecessary amounts of plastic for a single shot of coffee

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options

Crap, I got a Nespresso as a birthday present.

Are they just as bad? I recycle all my used pods at the shop next to my office so I thought I was good

• Options

Are they just as bad? I recycle all my used pods at the shop next to my office so I thought I was good

Most people just plop the cup into the trash. I feel there should be more ways to recycle items and building them out of other than organic polymers. As look at all the corn used for Ethanol and the alchemical way it's made you could just make various plastics from it that will decay [they already do this but it's real throw away ones like plastic grocery bags
    It's silly and stupid [and one of the another reason by in large the state is flat broke} Waste Management redid it's contract with the city {they had one from 2 years ago they got in trouble about since they did it in closed door meetings which is a no no in the city's charter} So recycled items are now bi monthly instead of every week with the trash
    But really we need to find more ways to recycle and build better products [that are easier to recycle or are not toxic to take apart} As it's just piling up and wildly out of control

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    A bad food opinion
    I treat chocolate as a treat. I know in America you can buy it anywhere and have it at anytime but I rarely have it. An example is when I worked at Walmart they would 75% of the time give us doughnuts {usually the chocolate glazed ones} I argued how I would like fruit instead siting how they toss a lot of the party sampler trays a lot. Just they would say I would look into it and do nothing more. I bought a large bag of peanut M&Ms today and sadly would rather have fruit

Beyond the investment in the bag of candy, I’m not certain why this would be a sad thing.

I suppose the ubiquity of sugar in contrast to the difficulty of procuring tasty, fresh fruit could be described in negative terms.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

The recyclable ones are slightly better (a lot of places in the US wont actually recycle that kind of plastic even thought it's technically possible, UK is likely less crap on this front). The carbon footprint of making the pods is still way higher than a bag of beans or preground coffee though. And lots of people don't bother recycling the pods even if they can, or think they've bought the recyclable ones but actually haven't, etc etc

Also on a personal level I get twitchy about the psychological messaging with this kind of product - as if literal piles of hydrocarbon derivatives are a normal thing for a society to produce in the name of (mild) convenience. But I also spend a lot of time reading about mass extinctions, which makes me twitchy about pretty much everything. You should see me watching car ads.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

The recyclable ones are slightly better (a lot of places in the US wont actually recycle that kind of plastic even thought it's technically possible, UK is likely less crap on this front). The carbon footprint of making the pods is still way higher than a bag of beans or preground coffee though. And lots of people don't bother recycling the pods even if they can, or think they've bought the recyclable ones but actually haven't, etc etc

Also on a personal level I get twitchy about the psychological messaging with this kind of product - as if literal piles of hydrocarbon derivatives are a normal thing for a society to produce in the name of (mild) convenience. But I also spend a lot of time reading about mass extinctions, which makes me twitchy about pretty much everything. You should see me watching car ads.

Ugh

I will have to offset the carbon footprint in other ways.

At least I don't own a car.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I found a thing on Twitter yesterday about rich people in the popular ski resorts in the us who build massive houses they occupy for two weeks a year but heat the roofs and driveway (!) all year round so as not to have to worry about snow accumulation. Among other issues. So compared to some, I think you're good.

tynic on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    So, he can reduce his food consumption footprint, and their energy footprint, by eating the rich.

@Karl the soft tissue beneath the thumb is supposedly a delicacy, perhaps even more so on a plump rich person.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm by no means calling you out for using pods, we live in a hellscape of bad decisions all around. Hell recycling in America is extra fucked now as China increasingly doesn't want our plastic and other recyclables (and nevermind how dumb it is to ship those across the globe we never intended to process them ourselves) and so we literally have piles of recycling being sorted and sat around before then being transported AGAIN to the landfill. Making recycling actually worse than not recycling in some cases. It is madness.
    More pertinently the guy who invented/popularized the Keurig has publically said he regrets it, and never thought through the scale of waste.

There ARE apparently some reuseable pods now, though how good they are I have no idea. For single shot coffee with barely more work, I really like an aeropress, and it's super easy to clean. (Also Keurigs terrify me because I've seen horror stories of them going uncleaned)

• Options
    Apparently even when China did accept the US's recycling they weren't actually recycling a lot of it, just pocketing the fee and dumping most of it in the ocean.

I talked to a Pacific oceanographer about it once, wow was that a bummer of a conversation.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm by no means calling you out for using pods, we live in a hellscape of bad decisions all around. Hell recycling in America is extra fucked now as China increasingly doesn't want our plastic and other recyclables (and nevermind how dumb it is to ship those across the globe we never intended to process them ourselves) and so we literally have piles of recycling being sorted and sat around before then being transported AGAIN to the landfill. Making recycling actually worse than not recycling in some cases. It is madness.
    More pertinently the guy who invented/popularized the Keurig has publically said he regrets it, and never thought through the scale of waste.

There ARE apparently some reuseable pods now, though how good they are I have no idea. For single shot coffee with barely more work, I really like an aeropress, and it's super easy to clean. (Also Keurigs terrify me because I've seen horror stories of them going uncleaned)

I will look into reusable pods (I got a vertuo).

No issue for me, I drink black. However, the wife likes the flavored stuff.

I'll have a think about how I can reduce wastage as much as possible.

• Options
    Apparently even when China did accept the US's recycling they weren't actually recycling a lot of it, just pocketing the fee and dumping most of it in the ocean.

I talked to a Pacific oceanographer about it once, wow was that a bummer of a conversation.

Cool. Cool. Hellscape confirmed. Lord I hate thinking about our plastic waste in bio labs too. So much. And it just becomes unrecyclable medical waste!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Seaweed capsules are the future like the whiskey a couple of days back

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean at least in research you can argue that it's going towards a useful purpose, most of our plastic waste is just because it's more convenient than other materials.

jesus.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I really dont see any type of coffee capsules in the future, I dont recall them existing in the past, so I will label them a fad, and keep using my regular non-capsule coffee machine, wich still exists, makes better coffee cheaper, and doesnt waste so much plastic.

Why people buy nespresso or other type of capsule machines, I cant understand it.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A lot of those pod machines do have a reusable pod product. You just have to put your own coffee grounds into it and give it a quick rinse.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Basically everything's fucked for a long time and nothing any of us can personally do will make any significant difference.

Nice coffee though.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    you can buy little reusable baskets for single-serving coffee makers, but my husband and i drink so much coffee that i've never really thought about getting one tbh, who wants like... a tiny little pfft of coffee. i need me half a pot AT LEAST.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I don't always drink coffee, but when I *do* I am just constantly refilling and reheating that thing. I stop when my heart or the empty pot remind me that I've had way too much

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Ugh

Well fuck, I guess I have to return this car I got you then!

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Ugh

Well fuck, I guess I have to return this car I got you then!

Wait

Is it a Qashqai?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I found a thing on Twitter yesterday about rich people in the popular ski resorts in the us who build massive houses they occupy for two weeks a year but heat the roofs and driveway (!) all year round so as not to have to worry about snow accumulation. Among other issues. So compared to some, I think you're good.

I saw this!

being alive is an infuriating nightmare!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    My father has a Keurig and whatever brand of pods he is using gives you a special bag to mail used pods back for recycling.

• Options
    anyway coffee pod machines are powerfully offensive to me even when you use the recyclable pods and the only use case scenario that doesn't piss me off is for people with manual manipulation/physical disability issues that prevent them from making coffee any other way

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I think there are way worse things to focus on than coffee machines.

Like candy corn.

• Options
    I assure you that I am capable of being angry about many, many different things at once

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Optimistic Nihilism 6:09
    https://youtu.be/MBRqu0YOH14

Only water & chocolate "Chocolate Mousse" 6:49
    https://youtu.be/o_qHjdx6SnU

How to make Iced Latte ☆ アイスラテの作り方 9:14
    https://youtu.be/REhhKr6efTo

Peas on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I saw this!

I heard a report on NPR this morning about how most homes being built now are not being built to be sold, but to be rented.

Being alive is an infuriating nightmare indeed!

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

I saw this!

I heard a report on NPR this morning about how most homes being built now are not being built to be sold, but to be rented.

Selling ownership is a suckers game when you can rent the service! Perpetual income! It's what capitalists crave!

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    A bad food opinion

Beyond the investment in the bag of candy, I’m not certain why this would be a sad thing.

I suppose the ubiquity of sugar in contrast to the difficulty of procuring tasty, fresh fruit could be described in negative terms.

Because they preferred the doughnuts over the fruit as well as other questionable things
    I had not had chocolate or M&Ms in sometime eating the handful I did enjoy but wanted fruit instead

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

I saw this!

Most of the homes around me {nearly 80% but what I found out last summer and owned by the same person/company} are rentals. think about that in about 5 mile square they own nearly 200 homes but that was the fallout from 2008-2013 when few people lived on this street and neighborhood

• Options
    Body: I want something to eat
    Brain: are you sure? you're actually hungry, not just bored? what if I take you for a walk, will that do?
    Body: No I'm really hungry, I swear. I need food. I need food now.
    Brain: Fine I will get you a food

Body: ... I feel gross. Why did you force food down my gullet, you monster.

• Options
    Body: I want something to eat
    Brain: are you sure? you're actually hungry, not just bored? what if I take you for a walk, will that do?
    Body: No I'm really hungry, I swear. I need food. I need food now.
    Brain: Fine I will get you a food

Body: ... I feel gross. Why did you force food down my gullet, you monster.

My body doesn't want breakfast, which leads to big lunch, which leads to nap time. It's really rude.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Brain: Eat much jerky!

Other half of brain: Ya know a little is ok, but a lot will do a number on the body.

1st half: EAT ALL THE JERKY!

me an hour later: What is wrong with my stomach?!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    S: You want that ghost pepper salsa
    Me: But it commits a war crime on my GI tract every time I eat it

*1 hour later*

Me: WHO COULD HAVE POSSIBLY SEEN THIS COMING?! NEVER AGAIN!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.