As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Watching The Ritual finally on Netflix. I feel this is a little foreboding!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Hey if you'll looking for some scary bullshit check out The Ritual.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Hey if you'll looking for some scary bullshit check out The Ritual.

I remember kinda liking this one. Who survives and why they survive is kinda terrifying.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I actually really enjoyed John Wick 3, but I agree the story was kinda nil. The first two were better for that, but the action in 3 is like... 'whoa' levels of good. The scenes with Halle Berry and Keanu together were just pure joy injected into my eyes... and the knife hallway... :rotate: I think JW3 is still a solid 7/10 movie with like 10/10 action.

KoopahTroopah on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I liked it better than 2, in that the choices and twists felt more organic. 2's betrayals felt against the code of the universe, nothing in 3 had me going 'that just isn't right and someone shouldn't be able to do that'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    watched Matinee the other day, there was a great scene where John Goodman got a bunch of people to protest the movie which of course gets everyone excited to go see it, and i'm like, oh yeah just like the Joker. No matter how much things change they always stay the same.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    JW3's setpieces all felt about 5 minutes too long each

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    watched Matinee the other day, there was a great scene where John Goodman got a bunch of people to protest the movie which of course gets everyone excited to go see it, and i'm like, oh yeah just like the Joker. No matter how much things change they always stay the same.

Or like, famously, in Father Ted.

zoh83077l2cf.gif

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Or like, famously, in Father Ted.

zoh83077l2cf.gif

Or when Kevin Smith joined a protest for Dogma, with a sign proclaiming that 'Dogma is Dog Shit'.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I agree, but I can't hold it against the movie much because the setpiece fights are either done so well or in such neat locations (or both) that I end up getting suckered in anyway.

It's not a fault-free franchise, but damn if the action sequences aren't amazing.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    You probably have already read up on how the character was based on B-movie film makers. That one was used by Kroger Babb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mom_and_Dad
    In a Washington Post article covering Babb's career, the film critic Kenneth Turan wrote that Mom and Dad did not "flourish because of its birth footage or because of its puerile plot, which Babb himself disparages . . . [its] success flowed, rather, from Babb's extraordinary promotional abilities."[13] The film was exhibited across the United States, and over 300 prints were produced.[5] In the weeks preceding the screening, local presenters sought to attract the attention of the town's inhabitants by distributing letters to local newspapers and church leaflets protesting against the film's moral basis. This strategy often utilized fabricated letters supposedly written by the mayor of a nearby city, who wished to register concern about local young women in his area who had seen the film and were awakened enough to discuss problems similar to ones of their own.[14]

The campaigns were usually orchestrated by employees of either Hygienic or Hallmark Productions,[8] and they nominally based their campaign from information provided by a standard and detailed pressbook containing cast and crew information, as well as other promotional and marketing materials.[2] Babb's marketing strategy centered on overwhelming small towns with advertisements and letters, in an attempt to create a controversial atmosphere. In keeping with his motto of "You gotta tell 'em to sell 'em,"[2] the film became so ubiquitous that Time wrote that its presentation "left only the livestock unaware of the chance to learn the facts of life."[5]
    Exploitation films go a long ways back.

A lot of those old films that are supposed to be about how bad something are were made to get around censorship rules.

How do you get around censorship rules? Make it educational.
    The film centers on Paul Lorenz, a "concerned citizen" alarmed at the spread of venereal diseases such as syphilis and gonorrhea. However, at a New York City burlesque show, several protagonists are more intent on engagement in sexual pleasure, regardless of the subsequent costs. They include Paul's own son Tom, burlesque dancer Sheila Wayne (who has syphilis), and two secretaries, lesbian Peggy and Betty, whom she is trying to seduce. However, one figure is not amongst them- Millicent Hamilton, a reformed former burlesque dancer. Millicent won a beauty contest in her hometown, which led her to New York, but a "casting couch" sexual encounter led her to contract syphilis. Millicent is told by her physician, Dr. Hamilton, that her condition can be cured, but only after slow, and painstaking treatment, and she should reject quack pseudo-cures. Millicent consents to this, eager to return to her home town and marry her boyfriend, Wendell- but will she heed the doctor's warnings? And what will the consequences be if she does not?

Wild parties, lesbianism, and premarital sex are some of the forms of 'madness' portrayed. The educational aspect of the film allowed it to portray a taboo subject which was otherwise forbidden by the Motion Picture Production Code of 1930, and its stricter version imposed by Hollywood studios in July 1934.

Also an answer to "how do we exploit the arrest of this actress for marijuana possession?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Shoulda_Said_No!
    She Shoulda Said No! (also known as Wild Weed; The Devil's Weed; Marijuana, the Devil's Weed; and The Story of Lila Leeds and Her Exposé of the Marijuana Racket) is a 1949 exploitation film that follows in the spirit of morality tales such as the 1936 films Reefer Madness and Marihuana. Directed by Sam Newfield (using the pseudonym "Sherman Scott") and starring Lila Leeds, it was originally produced to capitalize on the arrest of Leeds and Robert Mitchum on a charge of marijuana conspiracy.
    Babb cheaply acquired the rights to what would become "She Shoulda Said No!" shortly after Robert Mitchum and Lila Leeds were arrested for marijuana use. Its original producer had struggled to get it distributed as Wild Weed, and Babb quickly presented it as The Story of Lila Leeds and Her Exposé of the Marijuana Racket, hoping that the title would draw audiences. When it failed to stir up much interest, Babb instead focused on the one scene of female nudity, using a photo of Leeds in a showgirl outfit, and retitled it "She Shoulda Said 'No'!", with taglines such as "How Bad Can a Good Girl Get . . . without losing her virtue or respect???"[2] According to Friedman, Babb's midnight presentation of the film twice a week made more money than any other film at the same theater would earn over a full run; Friedman proceeded to use the film in his own roadshow double features.[3]

Couscous on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    also this scene was great:
    https://youtu.be/MzBb1J_P1HM

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Father Ted is probably pretty cheap now.

Edit: Geez. The guy that played Ted and the drunk priest are dead now.

Krathoon on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

They died exactly 18 years apart to the day, too.

nibXTE7.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So I just realized I have a 4k blue ray player and a 4k tv. What are some stand out movies that really showcase the 4k format?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

And worse, one of the writers is a TERF!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    So I just realized I have a 4k blue ray player and a 4k tv. What are some stand out movies that really showcase the 4k format?

Alita Battle Angel is the only recent 4K movie I've watched that really made me go "wow," a few janky faces notwithstanding. And I rented it 4K streaming, so that might be a asterisk since true 4K discs don't have to compress or whatever to fit in the tubes.

Goodfellas 4K basically is the Blu-Ray remaster but with HDR so it makes things like clothes and chairs pop.

I'd love to see a Speed Racer 4K release because on Blu-Ray it was aces.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Caught a couple of horror movies recently that I was very pleased with

Candyman is fucking great you guys. I had seen it 10+ years ago and apparently had not given it the level of attention it deserves, because I remembered very little of it. I know Jordan Peele has mentioned it before as one of his big influences, and it really shows. The thoughtfulness of the film's messaging, the soundtrack, and even the central storytelling mechanism of watching the main character's life collapse irreversibly as they are educated through horror all feel like they deeply inform Get Out and Us. I'm very excited for his take on the story with his remake that's coming out.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe is not as classic, for sure. The script is honestly clumsy. But the central concept is fantastic horror material and the scares are super effective. The film really expertly toes the line between different flavors of scares, giving you this blend of mystery and shadow and explicit violence and gore that all mixes into a great horror experience.

spoilery things about the latter
    Deeply Haunted Incorruptible Witch Body was not something I was expecting going in, and I loved it. Just loved it. Toe-bell guy, and the way the camera treated him, reminded me a lot of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, in the best way.

BloodySloth on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

John Wick 3 is a two pound slice of the best cheesecake you've ever had.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The John Wick movies were popular - why didn't Shoot 'em Up and its ridiculous gunplay get similar love back in the day?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The John Wick movies were popular - why didn't Shoot 'em Up and its ridiculous gunplay get similar love back in the day?

Anti carrot lobby at work.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Extremely personal revenge story was more compelling than random passerby gets caught up in outrageous situation.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Also, despite it being Monica Belluci the wet nurse stuff was kinda really fucking weird.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Shoot 'Em Up will forever be the greatest live action Looney Tunes movie ever made

wWuzwvJ.png
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

In addition to the things mentioned above,

The flow of John Wick's shooting scenes is more similar to the stuff you see John Woo putting out during the height of his collaboration with Chow-Yun Fat. It feels smooth and natural. It's ridiculous because nobody could survive that many opponent's/live through what John's been through etc. But it doesn't often feel forced. Your suspension of disbelief doesn't break that often.

Which flows into my next point. Keanu Reeves is a better physical actor than Clive Owen.

Clive Owen is a better actor than Keanu (hands down, that's not even a bet I would put money on), but Keanu can sell a physical scene much better than Clive can. From what people making the movies have discussed, it's because apparently you can show Keanu a stunt once, have him practice it a couple of times and then he can replicate it perfectly. He also apparently really can shoot very well. It lends a weight to the movie.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The Arc of John wick 3 is him coming terms to the fact that the chain of events started by his fairly selfish quest for revenge for his dog, isn't something with an easy fix. Going back to work for the Master, it's what he's desperately scrambling for because he wants out of the game, without taking responsibility for the fact that his actions put him back in the game.

Yes, someone messed with retired monster John wick. And yet, he's not really out. And maybe you never can be. But at least John has decided to fight for the friends that he has left.

Shoot Em Up also has Paul Giamatti doing the best scene chewing ever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    The Arc of John wick 3 is him coming terms to the fact that the chain of events started by his fairly selfish quest for revenge for his dog, isn't something with an easy fix. Going back to work for the Master, it's what he's desperately scrambling for because he wants out of the game, without taking responsibility for the fact that his actions put him back in the game.

Yes, someone messed with retired monster John wick. And yet, he's not really out. And maybe you never can be. But at least John has decided to fight for the friends that he has left.

I do get the feeling though, that the Arc of John Wick 4 and beyond, might be people learning that if John Wick came back for a personal vendetta that has been resolved... you leave him the fuck alone.

We are probably going to see a lot more
    of the high table dying in these upcoming movies.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Shoot Em Up also has Paul Giamatti doing the best scene chewing ever.

I remember the scene with the little spinning playground thing from Shoot 'em up when I saw it years ago.

I also remember really enjoying that movie.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

I do get the feeling though, that the Arc of John Wick 4 and beyond, might be people learning that if John Wick came back for a personal vendetta that has been resolved... you leave him the fuck alone.

We are probably going to see a lot more
    of the high table dying in these upcoming movies.

I want Wick to literally
    flip the high table

also figuratively

but also literally literally

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Shoot'em up was enjoyable, but the action is literally cartoony, where as John Wick's action is just super physical and brutal and continues to do so.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Shoot 'Em Up will forever be the greatest live action Looney Tunes movie ever made

Hudson Hawk is also up there, if only for Richard Grant at his peak Richard Grant-ness

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Better than Raising Arizona? I find that a tall order.

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Better than Raising Arizona? I find that a tall order.

Or Kung Fu Hustle.

wVEsyIc.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

The flow of John Wick's shooting scenes is more similar to the stuff you see John Woo putting out during the height of his collaboration with Chow-Yun Fat. It feels smooth and natural. It's ridiculous because nobody could survive that many opponent's/live through what John's been through etc. But it doesn't often feel forced. Your suspension of disbelief doesn't break that often.

Which flows into my next point. Keanu Reeves is a better physical actor than Clive Owen.

Clive Owen is a better actor than Keanu (hands down, that's not even a bet I would put money on), but Keanu can sell a physical scene much better than Clive can. From what people making the movies have discussed, it's because apparently you can show Keanu a stunt once, have him practice it a couple of times and then he can replicate it perfectly. He also apparently really can shoot very well. It lends a weight to the movie.

He's breathtaking.

As the saying goes.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Yeah he's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii9_oWQ7HY

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Into The Spider-Verse.

sig.gif
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Into The Spider-Verse.

I can't agree this enough. If you can find it, the newest version of apocalypse now looks great in 4k.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    4K Fury Road.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Gonna go out on a limb and say Blade Runner 2049 probably looks ok in 4k.

This discussion has been closed.