As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I’ve also spent this entire week wrestling with Adobe! But we got their new half-baked “Feature Restricted License” product. There are no more serials!
    This would be great...if the product would not keep installing and telling me it’s not licensed.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Adobe's been doing some "fun" stuff lately like cancelling everybody's subscriptions in Venezuela and not refunding any of the stuff purchased through Adobe Cloud that these users now no longer have access to.

Oh hey look it's the exact reason "renting" software and buying ANYTHING through their service that you can't "own" is a terrible fucking idea

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I guess it just didn’t...register...for her.

No Sale

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Working fast food was like that for me too. I am doing hundreds of transactions, I am on auto pilot and my register needs to be right at the end of shift, hand me money, I hit the beep boops, you get the change you get, move along. I get the desire for less coins, but I am barely above minimum wage and do noooott care. I serve chicken biscuits, not money changing functions. Add in that there ARE short change artists out there and it's doubly silly for me to bother when it's just a few coins in your pocket.

I hear you. But in this case there was literally no one around.

To be fair, I think she may have punched in 5.00 before seeing the dime (she dropped it but now thinking back I think she may not have seen it in the first place). I did give it to her up front tho.

Not a big deal at all, it was just confusing.

I'm glad you didn't act like an asshole about it. Ya did good!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    *reads meeting notes*
    making sure everything is signed off and finalized before starting to build something

*deep belly laugh*

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    We're so good at finalizing and signing off here that we do it at least once a week for big projects!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Flu Jab obtained!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Look at you all

Discussing good coffee etiquette.

I don't even have a machine for good free coffee. I have to go downstairs and pay for that in the cafe.

In the kitchen on my floor?

Cheap instant coffee.

It's terrible.

You all don't know how lucky you have it.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Karl wrote: »
    Look at you all

Discussing good coffee etiquette.

I don't even have a machine for good free coffee. I have to go downstairs and pay for that in the cafe.

In the kitchen on my floor?

Cheap instant coffee.

It's terrible.

You all don't know how lucky you have it.

“Good” free coffee, lol. It’s like someone burned a mix of motor oil and garbage for hours to make the coffee grounds.

I’d love to have a cafe downstairs sellin me a nice cup of coffee.

rhylith on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You can just take a spoonful of instant coffee and tuck it between your back molars and cheek like chaw.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I sometimes think that if I ever want to teach my kids mental arithmetic really well, I'll make them work at a bodega. I know that the kids working their are relatives of the owners, and I couldn't really get my kid a job there. But those guys.. never use a register. I check their math occasionally, but I've been lulled into a sense of complacency with the one I go to regularly since they've never been wrong.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/6m6s-ulE6LY

Lmao if you don't even know the imaginary abacus taught to you by an abusive teacher

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Adobe's been doing some "fun" stuff lately like cancelling everybody's subscriptions in Venezuela and not refunding any of the stuff purchased through Adobe Cloud that these users now no longer have access to.

Oh hey look it's the exact reason "renting" software and buying ANYTHING through their service that you can't "own" is a terrible fucking idea

I've been saying this shit since it started to become a norm and there's a large group of IT people that go "oh yeah like that'd ever be a real worry" and 10 years later here we are.

Leasing software is fucking dumb and I hate everything about it even if it means it's slightly easier to pirate shit like video games or excel.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

They needed to set my wife up with Acrobat at her new job. It wouldn't let them create an Adobe account for her from some reason. Turns out after like an hour of trouble shooting, you have to put your full name in when you set it up, and my wife has an Adobe cloud account at home, to avoid people getting free trials over and over if you have a matching name/address combo to an existing account, you cannot create a new one. Even when the email address is different

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You used to need an Adobe ID to read Overdrive ebooks on a computer.

I help a lot of people with a lot of computer problems, but Adobe ID is the only one to have reduced elderly patrons to tears of frustration more than once.

It's a vicious, inhumane software ecosystem that is too arrogant to even try to work properly. I hate it, and I'll vote for the first candidate who promises to have the entire Adobe C-suite horsewhipped, dispossessed, and exiled.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

I help a lot of people with a lot of computer problems, but Adobe ID is the only one to have reduced elderly patrons to tears of frustration more than once.

It's a vicious, inhumane software ecosystem that is too arrogant to even try to work properly. I hate it, and I'll vote for the first candidate who promises to have the entire Adobe C-suite horsewhipped, dispossessed, and exiled.

So much of the tech world we exist in is driven by these hulking behemoths that underpin the fabric of our lives, are garbage at it, but cannot be taken to task for being garbage at it.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

So much of the tech world we exist in is driven by these hulking behemoths that underpin the fabric of our lives, are garbage at it, but cannot be taken to task for being garbage at it.

Adobe takes more heat because they're b2c and lots of non-software-developer users so the general public is more exposed to how garbage they are.

But Oracle, man, jfc

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Adobe takes more heat because they're b2c and lots of non-software-developer users so the general public is more exposed to how garbage they are.

But Oracle, man, jfc

Yeah Oracle is usually my go to example for this as well.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    We're so good at finalizing and signing off here that we do it at least once a week for big projects!

I love finalizing and signing off on things! Especially when the people doing the signing off don't know the details of the work to be done or the problems likely to occur with the spec as being signed off on!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Today we had to dismantle a fallen tree and then drag the parts several hundred metres and put them in a pile. It has been raining basically constantly for weeks so the world is mud. It rained while we did it. I look like a swamp monster now.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Today we had to dismantle a fallen tree and then drag the parts several hundred metres and put them in a pile. It has been raining basically constantly for weeks so the world is mud. It rained while we did it. I look like a swamp monster now.

Ugh, wet treework sucks dongs. Sure you're avoiding working in hot weather, but the wood you cut gets soaked with with water, the leaves constantly drench you with more water as you're shaking them while cutting things, and the sawdust turns into roofing spackle that attaches to everything as you're working on it. Fun times indeed.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I’m in a big not caring mood which is not great for motivation and productivity

Maybe I need to take on a new role or switch teams and maybe I’ll care more

🤷🏾‍♂️ I then have to find something to care about and work towards

poo
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Ugh, wet treework sucks dongs. Sure you're avoiding working in hot weather, but the wood you cut gets soaked with with water, the leaves constantly drench you with more water as you're shaking them while cutting things, and the sawdust turns into roofing spackle that attaches to everything as you're working on it. Fun times indeed.

Also on the route we had to move the stuff was a sloped stone path, only about 2 metres long but thanks to all the rain, which I guess produced an invisible film of algae or something, was as slick as an ice rink. So carrying branches up that 20 times was exciting.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Today is dragging very very hard

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    They just authorized me on the company credit card.

My power grows

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

But... ND... think of the poor CEO.

If they can't engage in these anti-consumer practices they'll only be able to afford a 150 ft yacht, while all of the other CEOs will have a 230 ft yacht.

The poor suffering C-level Executive Suites need all the help we can give them.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Fuck, how do you know if a poached egg is done?

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Fuck, how do you know if a poached egg is done?

Time and poke it. Gently.

Come to the food thread, Royce. Join us.

• Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    To add to the email address typo stories, a couple of years ago I made an email account for our dog (for...reasons), but shortly after I made the account it started getting emails related to a golf club in Australia. Those have been mildly entertaining (there was some drama about a year ago but I’ve forgotten what it was about), so I’ve been waiting to see how long it would take them to notice the email address was wrong. I also get invitations to add golf outings to my Google calendar.

More recently, I got a few emails requesting the golf club volunteers be assigned some miscellaneous jobs around the club. After that happened, some of the emails have now been addressed correctly (the person’s last name has 2 L’s instead of one), but the incorrect email keeps getting cc’d for some reason. Maybe they’re starting to figure it out?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Printer guy recognized my My Hero Academia heat-activated mug yesterday so I had to fill it with hot tea to show him the full image! Then I recommended he and his wife watch Mob Psycho 100.

And I got permission to leave straight after today’s management meeting to go take my kids to Kaiser to get their flu shots!

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hoo boy, this is a first one for me today.

Anyone ever seen that episode of Stargate where the alien virus takes over the spaceship and they have to power everything off because it spread to everything connected?

On a completely unrelated note, I feel very sorry for our IT crew. Those poor souls.

Dys on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

Anyone ever seen that episode of Stargate where the alien virus takes over the spaceship and they have to power everything off because it spread to everything connected?

On a completely unrelated note, I feel very sorry for our IT crew. Those poor souls.

How good are their backups?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Printer guy recognized my My Hero Academia heat-activated mug yesterday so I had to fill it with hot tea to show him the full image! Then I recommended he and his wife watch Mob Psycho 100.

And I got permission to leave straight after today’s management meeting to go take my kids to Kaiser to get their flu shots!

Friend of mine teaches literature and writing stuff at a community college and floored one of her students who was like "Well, I mean the thing I kinda want to write about you wouldn't get because it's a show about this kid in a world where everyone has super powers..." and she goes "Boku no Hero Academia, duh. Yes write about that. Please write about something. Do the assignment. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options

That's stargate Atlantis isn't it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Friend of mine teaches literature and writing stuff at a community college and floored one of her students who was like "Well, I mean the thing I kinda want to write about you wouldn't get because it's a show about this kid in a world where everyone has super powers..." and she goes "Boku no Hero Academia, duh. Yes write about that. Please write about something. Do the assignment. "

"Adults can't possibly be into the same things I am... wait, they are? Oh no, my fave is uncool!"

• Options
    I'd assume good, they are normally very on top of their game.

My work cell has yet to hear any details, really. There's a neat little ransom note text file on the desktop and/or display of all of our various machines right now, though.

• Options

It is!

My fiancée and I actually watched that episode relatively recently so this is a fun coincidence.

• Options
    Ooof ransomware sucks. Hopefully they had good offsite backups so they can just pave the infected systems over and restore recent versions of the encrypted files.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It is!

My fiancée and I actually watched that episode relatively recently so this is a fun coincidence.

Call up IT and suggest they use naquita to solve the problem.

steam_sig.png