As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Honestly if it happened after a week I would think that isn't joycon drift or wear, but just you got a bad piece of hardware. Something snuck through QA.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's no rumble period on the switch lite.

I also read reports of someone having to "break in" their new lite stick. That they did a ton of rotations and then it started working fine for them. Might as well try that.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Some people got Baldur's Gate early and are giving some impressions. It sounds like it adapted well to controller controls.
    Full analog movement is supported (it might be 8-way, but feels very natural.) "Clickable" things are highlighted when you move close to them. It can be a little frustrating when you are trying to target a specific thing among many, but it works better than most systems of this ilk.

Largest font size on TV looks very readable:

nbEdGP9.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    That is 100% not the drifting issue, you got a defective thumbstick.

Edit: you can either swap it out for one you buy on ebay.. which requires a tiny bit of technical knowledge and a lot of googling, or you can send it to Nintendo, or you can take it back to the store and exchange if it's still in the period. You've got some options here. I wouldn't try to finagle it back into working condition or anything though, you're likely just wasting your time and could void the warranty depending on what you do.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So looks like DOOM Eternal is delayed until next year, with the Switch version coming out after the other versions.

Oh and also it seems like DOOM 64 is no longer coming out next month. Instead it’ll be released alongside Eternal as a preorder bonus.

https://nintendoeverything.com/doom-eternal-delayed-switch-version-coming-after-other-platforms-doom-64-a-new-pre-order-bonus/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So I won't be able to buy DOOM64?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Pretty sure it’ll also be available separately, they’re just including it as a free preorder bonus as an incentive. Still not until next year though.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    My orange and purple JoyCons got delivered today. Here is my sober and dispassionate review: these colors fucking bang, they are why eyes evolved. My (grey) launch JoyCons have very obvious smooth spots around the face buttons from where my fingers rub against the shells, and I'm seriously considering getting a second set of orange and purple JoyCons to look at but never touch, that they may never be sullied by filthy human hands.

On the other hand, the little bands of plastic that separate the shoulder buttons from the triggers are slightly different shades of the respective colors from the shells, and that's a bummer.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering getting a second set of orange and purple JoyCons to look at but never touch, that they may never be sullied by filthy human hands.

This is a sickness that you must overcome.

*looks over at untouched Mario Odyssey Joycon*

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    The only cure is exposure therapy.

In this case, exposure to like ten more pairs of these JoyCons.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Pretty sure it’ll also be available separately, they’re just including it as a free preorder bonus as an incentive. Still not until next year though.

But I was going to pre order on PC and buy Doom64 on Switch :(

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I saw someone that had both joycons as the neon green from the watermelon set... and I'd totally do that with the purple if I can

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I need to buy daddy only joycons. I just don't know which color I should get.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Oh, I'll add one more data point: the purple JoyCon is redder than you'd think, closer to a fuchsia than to a royal purple. Suits me fine, I love that color, but if you're expecting a darker purple, you might be disappointed.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The best way to get around the Joycon drifting issue is to play everything with the Pro Controller.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering getting a second set of orange and purple JoyCons to look at but never touch, that they may never be sullied by filthy human hands.

This is a sickness that you must overcome.

*looks over at untouched Mario Odyssey Joycon*

Do not, my friends, become addicted to Joycons. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

• Options
    I almost forgot Resident Evil 5 and 6 were coming this month. I guess Capcom is releasing demos of them too for some reason.

https://nintendoeverything.com/capcom-releases-resident-evil-5-and-resident-evil-6-demos-on-switch-eshop-discount-offer-file-sizes/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Honestly, RE5 is a good co-op game. But I can't imagine ever needing a co-op game to be portable since you need to be connected online.

RE6 is a total dumpster fire. Don't waste your money.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Man the new Cuphead sure looks gr..........whoa hold on a second, what the fuck?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Switch version of RE:5 does have splitscreen co-op. Though uh good luck playing that on the go.

Edit: just realized what the Switch 2 needs. Bring back the parallax barrier. 3D for single player, separate views for two-player.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Man the new Cuphead sure looks gr..........whoa hold on a second, what the fuck?

The animations aren't as smooth and the gameplay is a little too on the nose... but those character designs are fantastic.

• Options
    I dunno, there's something about it that just looks super cheap to me. Agreed that the animations themselves look worse too. Probably fewer actual frames of animation.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It’s because the frames are not hand animated. It is using that thing I like to refer to as “flash animation style “ where they manipulate individual parts of a character by rotating and stretching to cut corners on animation. They do it really well in some cases there, but it ultimately makes it look less authentic to the art style.

Pretty sure cuphead went all in to the style and hand animated every frame like the old cartoons did.

That game there though, seems to be just going for the art style while still using modern animation. It likely saves a LOT of time, but doesn’t look quite as impressive.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    It’s because the frames are not hand animated. It is using that thing I like to refer to as “flash animation style “ where they manipulate individual parts of a character by rotating and stretching to cut corners on animation. They do it really well in some cases there, but it ultimately makes it look less authentic to the art style.

Pretty sure cuphead went all in to the style and hand animated every frame like the old cartoons did.

That game there though, seems to be just going for the art style while still using modern animation. It likely saves a LOT of time, but doesn’t look quite as impressive.

Yeah, Cuphead was hand-drawn/scanned in, plus it took pains to mute the colors just enough and ensure the frame rate was just choppy enough to really sell the illusion you were playing a 1930s game.

I mean, this game seems to be really trying, but it's still coming across as a cheap knockoff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I think it's 100% cashing in on Cuphead's success while trying to be as close to an imitation as possible. The character designs do look neat (The Beethoven boss especially), but literally everything else is bad in one way or another.

I think there's a difference between using something as inspiration while adding your own spin on it, and just painting someone else's work a different color. Kinda gross.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I think it's 100% cashing in on Cuphead's success while trying to be as close to an imitation as possible. The character designs do look neat (The Beethoven boss especially), but literally everything else is bad in one way or another.

I think there's a difference between using something as inspiration while adding your own spin on it, and just painting someone else's work a different color. Kinda gross.

Agreed. I'm almost surprised this game doesn't feature Bowlhead and Saucerface.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Holy shit that is a blatant rip-off.

They are firing the same type of shots from their fingers and everything.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh wait, I thought that was by the same developers.

Hahahaha that is sooooo obvious :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's the knockoff chinese mobile game

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh yeah damn, I thought it was "heres our next game"

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    If I had never seen Cuphead, I would think that looked awesome.

I'm a little soured since it seems like a blatant rip-off, but if it still plays solid and has some imaginative boss designs I'll probably still give it a shot assuming it ever ever ever comes out.

Then again, checking that twitter thread... I don't see them getting through this week without cancelling the thing, changing their names, and going into hiding.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    While it's not from their fingers, without looking closely it's hard to see that they are using wands. The animation is nearly 100% a copy of the Cuphead one.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    While the comparisons to Cuphead are obvious, I don't think this developer is coming from a place of malice at all. It's not trying to be a consumer-confusing ripoff, for starters. I think it looks neat, TBH.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Most rip-offs tend to be lazy slapped together piles of garbage.

That artwork looks like it took A LOT of effort.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Edit: this should probably go in the Metroid thread.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's an "imitation" not a "rip off" really. I think they needed to do a bunch of things to avoid ire though. Make sure the default shot is different in a noticeable way. Don't do the same style of big band music, go in a different direction there. Bullet hell bosses + old school animation is okay to imitate I would think.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Recently saw parts of the gaming community cynically/mockingly coin the genre 'cuplike' to describe the game and it's so stupid I couldn't help but laugh.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I like the cat.

And the dog.

And maybe the rooster.

It has its charms.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Games never get kickstarter money for being original, its all about apeing or reviving something old that people want more of.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I mean we have dozens of beloved "Soulslikes."

Why can't we have more cuphead like games?