As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Ferdie somehow ended up as my favorite character and im not sure why.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Favoritenerd Von Aegir

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so the change to bernies B support is terrible. so glad I was able to see the non-neutered version. the editing takes away a ton of reason/emotion from it.

camo_sig.png
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I only ever saw the changed version and I thought it was pretty terrible

To be clear I wanted a paralogue to murder her father but only got the option to say “thanks for confiding”

Captain Inertia on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    @Zunde since you picked Black Eagles there is something important you should know that many players miss.

By the time you get to chapter 11, make sure you have your support rank with Edelgard up to C+. You will more than likely get this naturally through playing but it’s the next step that gets some people.

In chapter 11, the first time you do an “explore the monastery” day, do NOT talk to Edelgard until you have done everything else you want to do that day(talking to everyone, gardening, fishing, spending activity points, etc). Make talking to her the last thing you do. When you do, she will want you to hang out with her. When you do, it will end the day immediately.

Doing this gets you an extra bonus scene, and some important bonus content a little later.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    I am Favoritenerd Von Aegir

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I know Sylvain and Felix are a thing, but a Ferd/Sylvain odd couple story has a lot of potential

Btw I’m at 60 hours and just finished chapter 11

Oh I’m in normal and doing unlimited battles nonstop to basically have every character maxed in every class because I have CDO issues*

*OCD alphabetized as it should be

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ugh, I'm taking forever to finish this game. Just finished ch. 16 on Black Eagles. I'm at the point where I don't want to do anymore of the school stuff beyond the first month and have been avoiding side battles. Just doing lectures now and moving along. Apparently I'm almost done though, so that's good.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm taking forever to finish this game. Just finished ch. 16 on Black Eagles. I'm at the point where I don't want to do anymore of the school stuff beyond the first month and have been avoiding side battles. Just doing lectures now and moving along. Apparently I'm almost done though, so that's good.

To give you an idea how long you have left
    Chapter 17 is the last month. Chapter 18 goes directly to the final battle.

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The urge to coast the last couple of months is strong in this game. Especially since the difficulty (outside of the new Maddening) lets you get ahead pretty handily.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Good lord the last two battles of Black Eagles are a slog. I've been on the last fight for a few days now. Ugh...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Well, this is pretty disappointing. I was hoping they wouldn't do that for the Switch version, especially the changes to that one main story dungeon. Japanese fans are gonna be pissed that they have to play this altered version too now

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Oh no. Some characters are wearing more clothing and the modeling chapter is a different plot which allows me to not feel embarrassed playing this game in front of other people. Whatever shall I do.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Isn't TMS the very game that became notorious for censoring the vagina bones?

WotanAnubis on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Maz- wrote: »

Well, this is pretty disappointing. I was hoping they wouldn't do that for the Switch version, especially the changes to that one main story dungeon. Japanese fans are gonna be pissed that they have to play this altered version too now

The part about this that is particularly annoying to me is that from what I've seen the game was SUPER inconsistent about what it censored. Like covering Azura's boobs with magic smoke in a cutscene and then showing them uncovered in-game two seconds later. Also IIRC some of the censoring was like, "Really? You censored that?" I don't mind (too much) that sometimes stuff has to be censored in a lot of cases (i.e. I still think how they handled the Fates face petting crap was fine - if anything the ideal way to deal with that IMO), but some of the ones I read about were really, really dumb. (though overall I would prefer no censorship... I dislike it in general but I mean, I get it...)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    The weirdest one was Tsubasa's wedding dress costume, which they censored by..turning it into a bodysuit, for some reason. Which kinda increases the sex appeal, thus defeating the point of censoring it.

This is pretty funny. Also shows how good the character designs are since the mom gets to many things right.

edited October 2019
    Proving that we're all horribly inadequate, there's a guy who just completed a run on New Game/Maddening while only using Byleth. It's 29 hours of streams, but worth watching/skipping around in if you're curious how he did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXNF5P9pt54

(short version: Vantage+Wrath)

Durinia on
    --Mark Twain
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah there's some really good stuff out there.

Like this. This is amazing

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »

I have been pleased, generally speaking, with the way there aren't many terrifically broken Abilities, either individually or in combination (which one might more cynically express as most Abilities being sort of useless), but yeah, Vantage-Wrath (or its Battalion variant) is definitely the single biggest broken combo.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Recently just bought the game. I was stupid enough to try a fresh virgin Maddening run.

I should really do the smart thing and scrap this. This is just... yeesh. There is no advantage given to you at all, no reward or carrot to keep going. I've always personally found the best "Harder than Hard" difficulties still at least give you a reason to try, like at the very least they have better gear, or they offer more exp.

-First map: Everybody is 7 levels above you and can virtually kill you in a turn. They also give like 25% exp at most.
    -Second map: Ok, next to nobody has probably leveled significantly thanks to the exp cut. Hey I know let's bump the enemy up 2-3 more levels and give their speed a good jolt too.

Jesus fuck. This is sadism solely for sadism's sake. At least if I pay somebody to step on my balls, it's with the hope that I'm gonna get a pretty great orgasm out of the deal. There is just no happy ending in sight here though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kupi wrote: »

I have been pleased, generally speaking, with the way there aren't many terrifically broken Abilities, either individually or in combination (which one might more cynically express as most Abilities being sort of useless), but yeah, Vantage-Wrath (or its Battalion variant) is definitely the single biggest broken combo.

It wasn't only that. It looked like abuse of Defiant Avoid, Avoid+10 (Falcon Knight), and possibly Avoid Stance? And Close Counter so they could use a bow for more counter range. So basically "lolol max evade". The thing everyone's already been doing with Petra et al.

Oh, and getting Healing Focus from gauntlets, because 50% hp recovery beats out consumables fast.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kupi wrote: »

The War Master ability is a game-breaker for sure, in the right hands

It's horse shit that it's gender locked, Edelgard and Hilda would be unstoppable with it

In case anyone's not clear on how it works: Quick Riposte makes it so that, when the enemy initiates combat when your unit has 50% or more health, you always get a follow-up attack.

I say "follow-up attack" because the game behaves as if your character has a 4 or greater advantage in Attack Speed. So if a Swordmaster with 40 AS attacks Dedue with 16 AS? The Swordmaster will get 1 hit. Dedue will get 2.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Recently just bought the game. I was stupid enough to try a fresh virgin Maddening run.

I should really do the smart thing and scrap this. This is just... yeesh. There is no advantage given to you at all, no reward or carrot to keep going. I've always personally found the best "Harder than Hard" difficulties still at least give you a reason to try, like at the very least they have better gear, or they offer more exp.

-First map: Everybody is 7 levels above you and can virtually kill you in a turn. They also give like 25% exp at most.
    -Second map: Ok, next to nobody has probably leveled significantly thanks to the exp cut. Hey I know let's bump the enemy up 2-3 more levels and give their speed a good jolt too.

Jesus fuck. This is sadism solely for sadism's sake. At least if I pay somebody to step on my balls, it's with the hope that I'm gonna get a pretty great orgasm out of the deal. There is just no happy ending in sight here though.

Yeah I would say start over. You’re gonna end up spending so much time trying to beat the game by the skin of your teeth you’re going to miss out on experimenting with characters and classes, miss out on building supports, and just make things less fun.

LockedOnTarget on

Yeah I would say start over. You’re gonna end up spending so much time trying to beat the game by the skin of your teeth you’re going to miss out on experimenting with characters and classes, miss out on building supports, and just make things less fun.

I would suggest starting on Hard, at most. If you've played FE games before that's reasonable, if a little rough out of the gate (mostly, you'll be smashing weapons to pieces with combat arts a lot).

If you have half a clue about FE, Hard won't threaten you very much, but you'll at least have to think a little. Will definitely be a more enjoyable experience for someone new to the story (vs. Maddening).

--Mark Twain
    If you have half a clue about FE, Hard won't threaten you very much, but you'll at least have to think a little. Will definitely be a more enjoyable experience for someone new to the story (vs. Maddening).

Really, there needs to be another difficulty in between those two perhaps?

Though endgame Hard, even on NG+, can actually threaten most units.... most. And the Death Knight isn't pleasant ever since he's at utterly ridiculous levels every time he shows up.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

This was basically my initial thought process.

JUST DO IT!

Yeah I don't wanna do it no more... :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Yea I am finding hard is the sweet spot in terms of difficult to stupid bullshit fuck that noise stuff. you definitely need to consider your moves and not go all blind aggression (at least all the time)

camo_sig.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I think if Three Houses didn't have the Divine Pulse, Hard would be considered plenty difficult. I just finished a paralogue that ate about eight Divine Pulse charges on various blunders, bad rolls, and plain unexpected statistical disadvantages, which in any other Fire Emblem would have meant I'd be walled on that mission for four hours instead of the one hour that it actually took. Being able to reset from arbitrary positions instead of redoing the entire chapter if someone goes down is a massive gulf in the perception of difficulty.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited November 2019
    I recently started a Blue Lions playthrough, but I put it on hold after getting to chapter 3. I'm gonna hold off on it till the third wave of DLC is out. Hopefully it'll be out once I'm finished with Pokemon.

It says a lot about the quality of the game that I'd gladly play through it three times in less than half a year.

Maz- on
    Maz- wrote: »
    It says a lot about the quality of the game that I'd gladly play through it three times in less than half a year.
    I made it through twice and started the third but have slowed down to play some other stuff (Outer World's, mostly). Last game I ran multiple of this fast was probably XCOM2.

--Mark Twain
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My fourth time through the game, and I hope to finish before Pokémon releases.

It's... interesting. I'm going Silver Snow this time and I have this very real feeling of dread as I'm coming up to the point where I know everything's going to fall apart.

Yea I did blue lions then golden deer and am planning on both BE but have been playing links awakening

camo_sig.png
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    In my third playthrough and I just did Marianne's Paralogue, and... woof. I think that's the first time I failed a chapter and was game-forced to use a Divine Pulse.
    At this point, Marianne has just reached level 30 and moved into the Holy Knight class. So I tried to ride out and let Nosferatu keep her alive which... did not work. At all.

Second time around I sent her north to the protected area (I had assumed there'd be a Warrior or something there, waiting to kill her but: nope). And then cheesed things by having Lysithea warp Claude into a Thicket in the middle of the map and just had him Wait every turn. The Thicket and Alert Stance + gave his already high avoidance a boost of 70, so he just dodged rocks and poison and hurricanes and earthquakes while everyone else split into two teams and slowly took down everything else in the fog.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.