As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - All The Way Down

2»

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    On a serious note though, this doesn't work for you guys, does it? I mean, now we all have Wendy's top of mind, but that doesn't change the fact that it's pretty terrible food. Not that I have an inherent problem with fast food, and I eat it once a week on average, but I'm not going to advocate that as a smart or healthy choice regardless of what you eat.

So with that, perhaps the rhetoric on this sort of insidious is a bit overblown?

Scroll back a bit and read my first post. The entire point (and the reason for the comic and newspost) is that it did work on Jerry and Ryan.

You realize this is theater, right?

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    See, so even back then the Terminator franchise was apparently famous for spoiling their own movies in the trailers (Looking at you, Genisys). lol

It would have been so much better to go in blind and not know that Arnie wasn't the bad guy until the crucial moment. If I remember right, you don't get any real indication up to that point that Robert Patrick is anything other than some human in a police uniform. Even when he takes out that cop in the beginning you don't see him stab the guy with a giant arm blade or anything. Sure, he seems pretty menacing from the very beginning and in hindsight we might be tempted to think there's no way we wouldn't see through him right away, but I'm not so sure if it was a truly blind first viewing.

A friend of mine's sister was hosting an exchange student from overseas. She was maybe 17. They watched a lot of American movies while she was here, and he was quite excited about showing her T1 and T2 for this very reason.

And while I get where you're coming from, for them I think the smart business move was making the trailer exactly like they did. Without explaining that he's the good guy, you can't really make much of anything except a "Trust us, it's good!" trailer. And a lot of people decide whether they want to see a movie based on if it's interesting. At this point, it had been 7 years since the first movie. James Cameron was not a household name (and even now, my wife could probably not name anything he's directed other than Titanic). And the first movie wasn't exactly a blockbuster hit. It did well, but not great. Back then, scifi wasn't the ubiquitous genre it is now, and they really needed to convince a lot of people to go see it. Can't really argue with the results, even if I agree with you on it being better to go in blind.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    "This is Rick and Morty level meta-shilling"

What does that mean exactly?

I wonder if arbys is next in line to make a game? They do such cool work with their pages. I would hope they could make a really nice game.