As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    How much did they get in to Fire Emblem? Because that's my personal GotY right now.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Almost not at all. I think Jan/Ben/Dan are the only people who touched it.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yeah just for the sake of speculation I'll throw my vote at Apex for GOTY.

steam_sig.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I personally do not expect Total War 3 Kingdoms or Rebel Galaxy Outlaw to get much air time during GotY talks.

Edit:
    Bloodstained Ritual of the Night probably gets more of a mention than those other two

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    We have yet to see the glory that is Luigi's Mansion 3 though.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's always a bunch of cool stuff that for whatever reason the GB crew doesn't get into, so it doesn't get mentioned. Strategy/RTS games like Total War, MMO stuff like Shadowbringers, sim type stuff like Dirt Rally, etc. But those are all kinda niche, so I get it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    How is Breakpoint?

The West crew were pretty harsh on it, but I watched most of the QL and seemed fun. Is it a more involved Far Cry?

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    For me the games I really liked this year so far:

Control
    Apex Legends
    Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
    Resident Evil 2
    The Division 2
    Gears 5
    (wow i cant believe I forgot) Outer Wilds

I feel like I'm forgetting a million other things but this is what stands out in my head.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Niche games get their own niche commendations (Best Strategy Game or whatever). As good as something like TW:3K is, that kind of title is not GOTY material to no fault of its own, and this isn't limited to GB.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    How is Breakpoint?

The West crew were pretty harsh on it, but I watched most of the QL and seemed fun. Is it a more involved Far Cry?

There's a shocking lack of polish with laggy menus, frequent subtitle/dialogue mismatches, wacky vehicle controls, physics bugs, etc. There are also rampant microtransactions and the always online is so bad it feels like it only exists to serve those microtransactions. It feels like a game where they'd strip out shit that serves no purpose like the loot system or doesn't work like the always online to end up with a better result in the sequel.

Except they already made that better version, it's Wildlands. It feels like Wildlands 0.5.

Aistan on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The GB staff not delving into MM2’s multiplayer is a shame. Watching streamers play versus can be exciting and hilarious when connections do not shit the bed.
    They played some on UPF last week actually. It wasn't a very compelling segment tbh but maybe that was just the levels they were choosing.
    I quite enjoyed the less traditional levels they played, spoiled by Rorie not caring to engage with them and then complaining about it.

Rorie was in rare form that UPF.

By which I mean he never shut up and interrupted everything more than usual.

Aistan wrote: »
    How is Breakpoint?

There's a shocking lack of polish with laggy menus, frequent subtitle/dialogue mismatches, wacky vehicle controls, physics bugs, etc. There are also rampant microtransactions and the always online is so bad it feels like it only exists to serve those microtransactions. It feels like a game where they'd strip out shit that serves no purpose like the loot system or doesn't work like the always online to end up with a better result in the sequel.

Except they already made that better version, it's Wildlands. It feels like Wildlands 0.5.

Personally I like Breakpoint - the microtransactions aren't necessary for progression and are fairly easy to ignore completely (they are all in their own menu basically).

It can be janky though:

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I am hoping the format for GotY videos is dan as a quiz show host trying to get answers from the duders and it slowly becomes clear hes reading questions from the notebook and its all a grift.

edit: I feel like there has to be a payoff in general, I could see him starting a podcast where he brings on experts to explain to him things like how to churn butter and it leads to a netflix series for adult learning.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Outer Wilds is probably my GotY now that Doom isn't competing. Would appreciate that sucker getting high on the top 10.
    how can you possibly know that? What is it's bad?

I get looking forward to a game but it's always wild to me that people say "oh it's my goty" before the dang thing is out

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Outer Wilds is probably my GotY now that Doom isn't competing. Would appreciate that sucker getting high on the top 10.

I get looking forward to a game but it's always wild to me that people say "oh it's my goty" before the dang thing is out

Outer Wilds came out in May, you're thinking of Outer Worlds

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Also Doom got delayed til next year is why it's not competing for GOTY anymore.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Rorie was in rare form that UPF.

By which I mean he never shut up and interrupted everything more than usual.

I wish Rorie were a bit more likable on stream. His CS work is impeccable.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

I *think* what @Hardtarget is saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of pre-selecting a goty. Ie: picking Doom Eternal as your goty before it has been released.

edited October 2019

son of a bitch

edit - yes that was what I was tryign to say though

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Almost not at all. I think Jan/Ben/Dan are the only people who touched it.

Really? I thought most of them were pretty into it- I could see it in the Top 5.

I am hoping the format for GotY videos is dan as a quiz show host trying to get answers from the duders and it slowly becomes clear hes reading questions from the notebook and its all a grift.
    And then they all play Mario 64.

Pooch on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I *think* what @Hardtarget is saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of pre-selecting a goty. Ie: picking Doom Eternal as your goty before it has been released.

I mean, I don't think it's entirely unwarranted. If you were big on DOOM and are bullish on the sequel, I don't see anything wrong with thinking it might end up being your GOTY before it comes out.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Yeah, I don't really have any intention of playing Outer Worlds.

I *think* what Hardtarget is saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of pre-selecting a goty. Ie: picking Doom Eternal as your goty before it has been released.

I didn't?

Doom Eternal is probably the last big game of the year I was interested in, now that it's not coming out this year, I don't need to consider it anymore, I'm probably going to go with Outer Wilds. Certainly something could show up to surprise me, hence why I was very specific to use the word "probably" and not "definitely."

Undead Scottsman on
    ya my misread fucked this whole thing up but in a more general sense I do see a lot of people that say "oh x game is my goty for sure" before it's even out, which is what I find bananas.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png

Yeah, I don't really have any intention of playing Outer Worlds.

I *think* what Hardtarget is saying is that he doesn't understand the mentality of pre-selecting a goty. Ie: picking Doom Eternal as your goty before it has been released.

I didn't?

Doom Eternal is probably the last big game of the year I was interested in, now that it's not coming out this year, I don't need to consider it anymore, I'm probably going to go with Outer Wilds. Certainly something could show up to surprise me, hence why I was very specific to use the word "probably" and not "definitely."

Note: not my pov. I was just trying to make clear what was originally being said.

I actually think the whole concept of goty is kinda dumb and I always end up bitching about when GB goty time comes around.

Small Business Man makes an appearance in Indivisible.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I get these two confused a lot, and I have 1000/1000 in Outer Worlds Wilds

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    How is Breakpoint?

Thanks. Yeah seemed like they disliked the system more than the gameplay. Maybe I'll give Wildlands a look. Just want another Far Cry that's not another Far Cry, I guess.

MichaelLC on
    How is Breakpoint?

Thanks. Yeah seemed like they disliked the system more than the gameplay. Maybe I'll give Wildlands a look. Just want another Far Cry that's not another Far Cry, I guess.

If you play on PC you can do Uplay+ for $15 and play the game for a month and probably get what you want out of it. That's what I'm doing.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I should do Uplay+ to finally play AssCreed Origins and Odyssey.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I was not expecting the revelation in the recent Bombcast that Ben is horny for Bee Mario.

edited October 2019
    Hmm, I wonder if Mario feels the need to act "in character" when wearing one of his themed suits. He does "meow" as Cat Mario at the end of a level in 3D World, which sort of supports that.

It would just send mixed messages for a Bee Mario to be making a buzzing sound, I think. A "bzzt" sound is associated with "no wrong" and that is pretty close to a bees buzz. So like, you're fucking Bee Mario and he is making that sound, what do you do? Stop, keep going, intensify things, ease off?! I guess tone and inflection could hint at whatever is trying to be communicated, but it still seems like there would be a vagueness to things.

Rehab on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Speaking of Breakpoint and its general lack of polish, I counted two different typos in like the first few minutes of that QL.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder if Mario feels the need to act "in character" when wearing one of his themed suits. He does "meow" as Cat Mario at the end of a level in 3D World, which sort of supports that.

It would just send mixed messages for a Bee Mario to be making a buzzing sound, I think. A "bzzt" sound is associated with "no wrong" and that is pretty close to a bees buzz. So like, you're fucking Bee Mario and he is making that sound, what do you do? Stop, keep going, intensify things, ease off?! I guess tone and inflection could hint at whatever is trying to be communicated, but it still seems like there would be a vagueness to things.

he could just say "buzz buzz"

which is what I say when I see a bumblebee

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    We all know what Bees sound like

https://youtu.be/ygggcqKmUts

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You're Gonna Finish It: SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

PREMIUM EPISODE

TODAY

Ooooooh shit!

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I love that that dumb joke has turned into an actual series.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I find it weird how my normal reaction to the beasters playing games is "man, they're playing like garbage", but Sunshine and Bananas are just constant streams of "man, this game is hot garbage".

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    don't you dare compare mario sunshine and dk64

BahamutZERO.gif
    don't you dare compare mario sunshine and dk64

They're both probably the worst game in each respective series.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.