As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I always play physical adepts with ridiculous physical capabilities. Like just the craziest parkour martial artists you can think of.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    "Runners in the Shadows"

CHAAAAAAAAAIN
    KEEP US TOGETHER

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've been invited to a game of Shadowrun

What do I need to know about Shadowrun

Invest in more d6s.

Like, take your standard D&D assortment of a few of all the dice types, replace them all with d6s, and then triple that.

You're thinking of those dice bricks they sell for Warhammer and the like. 3x3x5 blocks of little d6s.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So of the three big things I think that really make Shadowrun tick, namely:

- It's got fantasy and science together. Guns and swords! Hacking and fireballs! Cyborg elves!
    - It's got megacorps, cyberpunkiness, and a general "Stick it to the man" theme going on
    - It's Earth based, which makes it cool if you personally know some of the areas where Big Stuff(tm) happened

Can a competing product make do with just two? This is largely a question that came from me thinking if a Shadowrun-esque RPG would appear that's not based on our earth.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    So of the three big things I think that really make Shadowrun tick, namely:

- It's got fantasy and science together. Guns and swords! Hacking and fireballs! Cyborg elves!
    - It's got megacorps, cyberpunkiness, and a general "Stick it to the man" theme going on
    - It's Earth based, which makes it cool if you personally know some of the areas where Big Stuff(tm) happened

Can a competing product make do with just two? This is largely a question that came from me thinking if a Shadowrun-esque RPG would appear that's not based on our earth.

Personally I find the last part to be the least attractive part of the setting. What little entertainment I'd garner from speculative future geopolitics is heavily outweighed by all the icky stuff mapping fantasy races onto the real world gets you.

You can keep all the trappings of capitalist dystopia and 'earth' culture without having to set it there.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You could make Shadowrun the System work reasonably well if you just streamlined the absolute fuck out of it. Like, the skills, the gear, the spells, the combat rules, the decking rules...

See also Modiphius' Roll20. We're playing Conan right now and I like the rules but they're just needlessly complex. Like, unnecessarily so. Why?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    You could make Shadowrun the System work reasonably well if you just streamlined the absolute fuck out of it. Like, the skills, the gear, the spells, the combat rules, the decking rules...

See also Modiphius' Roll20. We're playing Conan right now and I like the rules but they're just needlessly complex. Like, unnecessarily so. Why?

Probably for the same reason Star Trek, Conan and Infinify all have different d6 markings on their effect die: those games all got caught up in a weird cluster of being developed at the same time if I remember right.

Also they tried streamlining Shadowrun and honestly Anarchy is even less appealing to play because it’s still a mess but doesn’t have that morbid desire to dive into the mass of bullshit that normal shadowrun has.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm running a one off tonight and I want it to be scifi. Any ideas?

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Lasers & Feelings if you don't want to do much prep.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am fairly excited that the pdf of Lancer should be done before the end of the year. The art is gonna be so good and the layout work should hopefully make it more readable.

I kinda want to start a group for rotating system and setting rpg one or two shot sessions online like every other weekend or something?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I think at this point the only way to save Shadowrun by streamlining it would be to burn the whole thing down and start building the system from scratch with simplicity as a core design principal.

And it can't involve people who have been involved in previous editions.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Keep Shadowrun as just a setting. Publish future Shadowrun books as system agnostic - deep dives into the setting, adventure ideas, characters/NPCs, that sort of thing. Then license out the Shadowrun name for other RPGs, so various publishers can put together their own way to make it all actually work.

Realistically speaking, we'd just end up getting D&D: Shadowrun out of the deal, the worst of both worlds, but I can dream.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I think what bugs me about Shadowrun is it’s most basic system isn’t even that clunky? It’s attribute + skill added together to create a dice pool of d6 that you then roll to see if you can do the task. 5 and 6 is considered a “hit” and you need to accumulate so many “hits” in one roll to achieve the task. If you get at least enough “hits” for the task, you succeed. If you generate enough 1s on the roll equal to have the dice pool or more, you “glitch” and get a negative side affect.

Like that’s a pretty basic system, and is very similar to the WoD/CoD system that I’ve been playing in for over a year. It’s just everything that gets layered on top of that, the way it is implemented, and the clunky and inconsistent nature of the rules that cause the problems.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Has anyone read through Odyssey of the Dragonlords yet? I only glanced over it and decided to wait for the physical copy to give it a thorough read. But I was very into Greek myths as a kid so it's very much my jam and I'm super excited.

Sad that I probably won't be able to find a group for it. Maybe I need to offer DMing for strangers?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If I ran shadowrun I'd probably just reskin the WoD rules

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I think what bugs me about Shadowrun is it’s most basic system isn’t even that clunky? It’s attribute + skill added together to create a dice pool of d6 that you then roll to see if you can do the task. 5 and 6 is considered a “hit” and you need to accumulate so many “hits” in one roll to achieve the task. If you get at least enough “hits” for the task, you succeed. If you generate enough 1s on the roll equal to have the dice pool or more, you “glitch” and get a negative side affect.

Like that’s a pretty basic system, and is very similar to the WoD/CoD system that I’ve been playing in for over a year. It’s just everything that gets layered on top of that, the way it is implemented, and the clunky and inconsistent nature of the rules that cause the problems.

Yeah, I think if you stripped some of the added chaff out, you could definitely make it a decent system.

My big move would be stripping down the equipment a lot. There's a ton of granularity in all of Shadowrun's equipment, and I'd want to turn that into like, six guns (pistol, assault rifle, sniper rifle, machine pistol, machine gun, taser). Which is the sort of thing we already see stuff like the HBS games.

In doing that, I'd also probably reduce a lot of the dice pool bonuses that various pieces of equipment give you, and in turn reduce the thresholds that you need to succeed on various skills. I think one of the big problems that Shadowrun ends up with is that it creates a way to get a dozen dice on any given role, and then feels the need to adjust thresholds for someone who takes all of the weird options to get there, making it hard to succeed if you aren't weirdly specialized. By reducing the massive pool of options, that would become much less of a thing.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'd also get rid of Essense loss for cyberware - I've seen a few good discussions on how the mechanic is ableist by nature.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Really Shadowrun is an excellent candidate for computer assisted RPG. I know that Wizards pitched (and fucked up) the electronic table a decade ago but I'm sad that killed the concept dead.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'd also get rid of Essense loss for cyberware - I've seen a few good discussions on how the mechanic is ableist by nature.

I think you just do it like the video games, where Essence only affects your ability to channel magic. The tradeoff between magic and tech is a good one for gameplay, everything else about Essence yeeeaaaahhh not so much.

• Options
    I don't love the trade-off between magic and tech, honestly

Like, isn't the whole point of Shadowrun that you have both? Why not allow characters who have both?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Straightzi wrote: »

Like, isn't the whole point of Shadowrun that you have both? Why not allow characters who have both?

Because then every character will have both.

• Options
    If you want it as a limiting factor, I would just have it be that there is no cyberware that can improve your ability to do magic and no magic that can improve your ability to hack

But even that I don't think is necessary, I think that it's all a part of the weird siloing of characters that Shadowrun is deadset on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I know that Cyberpunk 2077 just discovered that concept of "How much of your body can you replace before you cease to be you?" tension but I feel like that's a vital bit of the genre.

I do wish that there was an inverse style of thing for Magic which again pitches the concept of how much you're willing to give up yourself in exchange.

Though the ableist angle is one I need to think on more.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    A duck! wrote: »

First off, I doubt it. That's like saying that every D&D rogue will be a halfling, or whatever. People will make roleplaying decisions in a roleplaying game.

Second, why is that a problem? If someone wants to be a jack of those particular trades, why wouldn't you allow it?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2019

First off, I doubt it. That's like saying that every D&D rogue will be a halfling, or whatever. People will make roleplaying decisions in a roleplaying game.

Second, why is that a problem? If someone wants to be a jack of those particular trades, why wouldn't you allow it?

Because it's not so much a trade. If having dermal plating or wired reflexes doesn't affect essence then every mage would probably pick them up, since they're not something you have to allocate resources to.

For a D&D analogy it's more like removing the costs of wearing Plate Armor and making it available to everyone than it is like taking a level dip in Fighter

A duck! on
  • Options

Because it's not so much a trade. If having dermal plating or wired reflexes doesn't affect essence then every mage would probably pick them up, since they're not something you have to allocate resources to.

For a D&D analogy it's more like removing the costs of wearing Plate Armor and making it available to everyone than it is like taking a level dip in Fighter

Eh if it still costs points to get money to pay for the cyber gear that's points I can't put into my magic.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Eh if it still costs points to get money to pay for the cyber gear that's points I can't put into my magic.

I'm not familiar enough with SR to know or understand how Essence works, but I do like the lore flavor of magic coming from the organics of a person, and the more cyber you are the less magic you can wield.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Huh, that's a really interesting point.

One of the core principles of cyberpunk (at least, from what I understand; I may be wrong) is that technology dehumanizes. To some extent, it's that it turns people into faceless cogs in capitalist, technologist distopias, and to some extent it's that replacing parts of your human fleshbag makes you less human in some way. Cyberpunk has a bunch of problematic tropes at its core, and that last bit certainly seems like one of them. Is there any value to it? I'm not sure I need "having a pacemaker makes you inhuman", but "having a bulletproof titanium torso and steel hands that can crush a wall changes how you perceive and relate to other people" seems like an interesting and worthwhile thing to explore.

Would there still need to be some balancing factor to make sure that players aren't walking around with 10 copies of every piece of available cyberware? What if "Essense loss" is renamed and recontextualized from "putting technology into your body takes away a certain je ne sais quoi of being human, until you're a mindless husk" and more towards something like "there's a limit to how much technology a body can handle, and past that the brain just can't incorporate its operation into its routine"? Is that still fraught in a way I don't see?

Or, would you just do away with any such limits, and if the player can afford some tech then they can go right ahead and stick it into their body?

• Options

Right, it's a balancing mechanic. The problem is that it's a shitty balancing mechanic that makes some questionable statements on the nature of humanity.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    On a personal level I find the idea of transhumanism fascinating, and if I could upload my brain to something so that I could live forever I would. That probably makes Eclipse Phase more of the game for me, but I do love Shadowrun. Mostly because of the SNES game.

• Options

Perhaps if there was some required ability points, rather than just money, put into acquiring/using cyberware? I mean, with actual modern prostheses you still need to go through extensive physical therapy in order to use them. Why not have a skill that represents your ability to rewire your own brain to interface with cyberware?

• Options

One of the core principles of cyberpunk (at least, from what I understand; I may be wrong) is that technology dehumanizes. To some extent, it's that it turns people into faceless cogs in capitalist, technologist distopias, and to some extent it's that replacing parts of your human fleshbag makes you less human in some way. Cyberpunk has a bunch of problematic tropes at its core, and that last bit certainly seems like one of them. Is there any value to it? I'm not sure I need "having a pacemaker makes you inhuman", but "having a bulletproof titanium torso and steel hands that can crush a wall changes how you perceive and relate to other people" seems like an interesting and worthwhile thing to explore.

Would there still need to be some balancing factor to make sure that players aren't walking around with 10 copies of every piece of available cyberware? What if "Essense loss" is renamed and recontextualized from "putting technology into your body takes away a certain je ne sais quoi of being human, until you're a mindless husk" and more towards something like "there's a limit to how much technology a body can handle, and past that the brain just can't incorporate its operation into its routine"? Is that still fraught in a way I don't see?

Or, would you just do away with any such limits, and if the player can afford some tech then they can go right ahead and stick it into their body?

The point that I've seen made by disability advocates on this is that the "technology dehumanizes" argument is just flat out false - for many people with disabilities, assistive technology is very humanizing, granting them autonomy and dignity in their lives. And for them, having a game mechanic of "this technology which makes you feel more human comes with a Faustian bargain" is hostile to them.

Honestly, there are a lot of badly thought out balancing mechanics built on stereotypes that need to be rethought.

• Options
    I mean I have metal reinforced bones in real life. They're painful and change my perception of the world, but I'd probably be having a much different go of things if they'd just taken my whole right forearm/hand instead (I'm right handed).

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I mean I have metal reinforced bones in real life. They're painful and change my perception of the world, but I'd probably be having a much different go of things if they'd just taken my whole right forearm/hand instead (I'm right handed).

ABOMINATION!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Perhaps if there was some required ability points, rather than just money, put into acquiring/using cyberware? I mean, with actual modern prostheses you still need to go through extensive physical therapy in order to use them. Why not have a skill that represents your ability to rewire your own brain to interface with cyberware?

Like, anyone can use cybernetics to get human-equivalent performance, but it takes dedicated practice to get better than that? And that practice not being put into spellcasting or shooting or... and thus a difference in stats?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Tales From The Loop is free to download for today only!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    JUST FIREBALL.
    JUST FIREBALL.

EKSU
    PLOSION

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

The point that I've seen made by disability advocates on this is that the "technology dehumanizes" argument is just flat out false - for many people with disabilities, assistive technology is very humanizing, granting them autonomy and dignity in their lives. And for them, having a game mechanic of "this technology which makes you feel more human comes with a Faustian bargain" is hostile to them.

Honestly, there are a lot of badly thought out balancing mechanics built on stereotypes that need to be rethought.
    Is there a meaningful distinction between assistive technology that keeps a person alive, and/or grants autonomy and dignity, and technology that is specifically designed to surpass biological human abilities? Between, say, a prosthetic arm that lets someone butter their toast again, and a prosthetic arm that has a built-in gun?

I guess this gets pretty close to the line of "should athletes with prosthetic limbs be allowed to compete in the Olympics?".

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

I think that general idea is problematic for those reasons. On the other hand, that game mechanic isn't really meant for assistive tech restoring normal human-level ability, it's about going way beyond that into superhuman and non-human capability. If you could go out today and get your arm replaced with a gatling gun, that certainly is going to create a social stigma with most people you meet on the street, even if you personally never feel "less human" from it. And I've known a person in real life that was mildly weirded out by a someone with just a prosthetic hand. So in that sense, it's probably realistic even if it's not morally right. On the gripping hand, I think it's clunky to resolve philosophic issues with gameplay, so it'd probably be better to just drop it as a mechanic and save it for the fiction if they want to explore those prejudices.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Like, anyone can use cybernetics to get human-equivalent performance, but it takes dedicated practice to get better than that? And that practice not being put into spellcasting or shooting or... and thus a difference in stats?

Yeah, essentially.

Being able to punch through a wall requires training, even if your robot arm is providing most of the strength. Even if it's designed to flawlessly interface with a human body without significant amounts of PT, it's probably only designed to do that for normal human things, not popping a gun out of its secret compartment straight into your hand or redirecting its electrical output into a shocking grasp.

So instead of spending some time at the range or reading arcane tomes or whatever, you spend some time testing your limits, maybe rewiring a few things, running diagnostics and making sure that everything is working flawlessly before you're in a life or death situation.