As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Impeachment] for ... Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Additional tidbit: According to the livestream of the indictment announcement, the attorney general said that "this was one of the largest donations that committee-1 received" meaning that the donation to the Trump PAC was very meaningful probably since it was such a large amount?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Is tipping off a suspect a crime? Like, probably interfering with an ongoing investigation or something, I guess. Or is it more just hella unethical?

Either way, Giuliani should've STFU and bailed. He should've looked at that and been like, "Nah, I'm not going down with your ship."

He did STFU so far today, actually giving a no comment. Though he has the issue that he isn't super duper rich to go live out his life in some random non-extradition country. Outside of the context of his relationship with Trump he doesn't bring much that anybody out there actually wants.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Is tipping off a suspect a crime? Like, probably interfering with an ongoing investigation or something, I guess. Or is it more just hella unethical?

Either way, Giuliani should've STFU and bailed. He should've looked at that and been like, "Nah, I'm not going down with your ship."

Giuliani is in too deep to just bail. We’re talking Manafort deep, right down to the Ukraine/Russia connections and failing to register as a foreign agent until 2016.

The only difference between them is that Giuliani isn’t in jail yet.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    So Barr tipped off Rudy of his own departments arrests? What the flipping fuck? Barr needs to be gone if that's the case.

I'm thinking this may be the case. Rudy clamming up is a sign this is a big deal. Then you have the two guys trying to leave the country, the timing of which is extremely suspicious. If this tied to Barr and can be proven as such, it would be a heavy blow to Trump. Also I'd like to see Barr himself get impeached or removed or whatever.

Also also, what kind of idiot thinks changing his name from Krumon to Kurmon is a good way to hide crimes?

Nobeard on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I suppose one easy way to figure out if they were tipped off is...when did they buy the plane tickets?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Guiliani also seems deeply stupid to me. Like I don't think he believes he'll be arrested even after he's in court in prison orange.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Giuliani should probably hop on a plane to Russia and stay there. Since he doesn't have an official position in government, he's the most obvious one the FBI/House could arrest without Republicans squealing about "political prisoners."

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I suppose one easy way to figure out if they were tipped off is...when did they buy the plane tickets?

Enh, someone in that general wealth-and-connections world could scare some up in minutes from their phone. The logistics wouldn't be a problem even if they were doing it at a dead run from the restaurant.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I don’t want to get everyone too excited but the national security correspondent for Politico just did one of those “stand by for news” tweets that are all the rage these days.

Also I have gleefully noted that having trolled Biden’s every tweet with replies taunting him about how he was corrupt and going to be arrested at any moment, one of the three guys indicted today has just deleted his twitter account :D

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So Barr tipped off Rudy of his own departments arrests? What the flipping fuck? Barr needs to be gone if that's the case.

I'm thinking this may be the case. Rudy clamming up is a sign this is a big deal. Then you have the two guys trying to leave the country, the timing of which is extremely suspicious. If this tied to Barr and can be proven as such, it would be a heavy blow to Trump. Also I'd like to see Barr himself get impeached or removed or whatever.

Also also, what kind of idiot things changing his name from Krumon to Kurmon is a good way to hide crimes?

Seriously Ron Mexico is right there guys!

Honestly the hurtful thing to me as a person who enjoys a good crime drama, is how awful this corruption is, like they aren't hiding it, its in plain sight and the expectation is "fuck you what are you going to do arrest me?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don’t want to get everyone too excited but the national security correspondent for Politico just did one of those “stand by for news” tweets that are all the rage these days.

Also I have gleefully noted that having trolled Biden’s every tweet with replies taunting him about how he was corrupt and going to be arrested at any moment, one of the three guys indicted today has just deleted his twitter account :D

Ugh, I am so done with hyping up news. It almost never lives up to it and we don’t even know if this has anything to do with impeachment.

If you don’t have anything to report right now, STFU.

Sorry, personal pet peeve.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Enh, someone in that general wealth-and-connections world could scare some up in minutes from their phone. The logistics wouldn't be a problem even if they were doing it at a dead run from the restaurant.

The point was more that this is way more suspicious if the tickets were bought after the lunch meeting, but if it was a pre-planned trip with the tickets bought weeks/months ago it is less suspicious. Nobody was claiming they couldn't have bought the tickets easily hours before the flight was scheduled to leave.

But yeah this is definitely not a good look for Barr, Rudy and these two gentlemen. Here's hoping they actually face punishment!

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Ugh, I am so done with hyping up news. It almost never lives up to it and we don’t even know if this has anything to do with impeachment.

It doesn't have anything to do with impeachment after looking at her twitter feed.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Jesus Christ Almighty! The Politico scoop from Natasha is that Lyndsay Graham was pranked by some Russians in a hoax call and ended up accidentally dishing out a shitload of stuff that make both him and Trump look VERY bad while thinking he was on the phone to the Turkish defense minister!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    How appropriate. Clowns playing clowns

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn, Putin may just win the war

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    For people not balls-deep in the hourly media cycle, what is "the Reza Zarrab case"?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I just... Walked my dog. I just walked my dog for like 20 minutes. I can't walk my dog and relax for twenty minutes?!

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ Almighty! The Politico scoop from Natasha is that Lyndsay Graham was pranked by some Russians in a hoax call and ended up accidentally dishing out a shitload of stuff that make both him and Trump look VERY bad while thinking he was on the phone to the Turkish defense minister!

So it seems the public outrage about betraying the Kurds was just a performance to seem reasonable and possibly forestall accusations of partisan hypocrisy in the impeachment process. Which explains why the President hasn't excommunicated him for his temerity.

Just when I think my opinion of Lindsey Graham can't diminish further.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    How close to Trump is the totally-not-coordinating-with-Trump-campaign PAC?

Wikipedia makes it sound fairly close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_First_Policies
    America First Policies is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization, incorporated on January 27, 2017,[1] to promote the America First policy agenda of the Donald Trump presidential campaign.[2][3] On March 30, 2017, Katie Walsh, formerly White House Deputy Chief of Staff, left that position to join America First Policies.[4] The organization has courted controversy, as one of its directors was forced to resign due to racist and inflammatory comments and another adviser was caught on video proclaiming support for the Nazis.
    America First Policies was founded by several people, including Nick Ayers, a Republican consultant who is regarded as Mike Pence's top political adviser,[5], Rick Gates and Brad Parscale.[6]
    America First Policies' Director for Advocacy, Carl Higbie was forced to resign as head of Corporation for National and Community Service (an organization which runs AmeriCorps, Learn and Serve America, Senior Corps, and other national service initiatives) to which he had been appointed by Donald Trump, after making racist and inflammatory comments on a radio talk show about black Americans, Muslims, women, LGBT people, veterans suffering from PTSD and immigrants, which included advocating violence. Higbie also pushed the false Birther conspiracy about Barack Obama.[12][13] In a 2018 tweet, Higbie apologized for his comments.[14]

More recently, Linda Mcmahon left the WH in March 2019 to run America First Action (committee-1).

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/29/linda-mcmahon-to-resign-as-head-of-small-business-administration-1243495

Buried in this article: Erdogan was desperate to get the Obama admin to kill that Zarrab case.
    Erdogan, wary of corruption being revealed in open court, fiercely lobbied high-level Obama administration officials for Zarrab's release after his 2016 arrest, the Washington Post reported at the time. At one point he even asked Vice President Joe Biden to have Bharara fired. Erdogan also sent his justice minister at the time to meet with then-Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch and argue that the case was "based on no evidence."

So there's little chance Flynn was not lobbying for the same.

• Options

It doesn't have anything to do with impeachment after looking at her twitter feed.

It’s a prank call to Lynday Graham from some Russians pretending to be the Turkish defense minister that ended up with Graham discussing Trump’s willingness to bend foreign policy to the will of a country that Trump has a financial stake in, even to the point of describing an ally as a threat.

That goes to the very heart of this impeachment inquiry.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    For people not balls-deep in the hourly media cycle, what is "the Reza Zarrab case"?

Case involving a Turkish gold trader who was convicted here. Zarrab was to be used as a pawn in dealing with Turkey. Also, because reality loves crossing the streams, his case was used as part of the justification to refuse Jeffrey Epstein bail.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

He’s the guy arrested for evading Iran sanctions that Trump pressed Tillerson to pressure the DoJ to drop the charges.

• Options

It’s a prank call to Lynday Graham from some Russians pretending to be the Turkish defense minister that ended up with Graham discussing Trump’s willingness to bend foreign policy to the will of a country that Trump has a financial stake in, even to the point of describing an ally as a threat.

Graham also mentions Trump’s personal interest in a “Turkish bank case” in the call that appears to refer to a U.S. case involving Reza Zarrab, an Iranian-Turkish gold trader and client of Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani. Bloomberg reported on Wednesday that Trump had asked then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in 2017 to help persuade the Justice Department to drop the Zarrab case.
    Sorry the entire article was filler and I missed the actual important paragraph.

• Options

Graham also mentions Trump’s personal interest in a “Turkish bank case” in the call that appears to refer to a U.S. case involving Reza Zarrab, an Iranian-Turkish gold trader and client of Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani. Bloomberg reported on Wednesday that Trump had asked then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in 2017 to help persuade the Justice Department to drop the Zarrab case.
    Sorry the entire article was filler and I missed the actual important paragraph.

Not a problem. We’re going to be crossing the streams on the foreign policy and impeachment threads for a good long while I think. But... yeah. This is very much playing into the whole foreign policy as a means of Trump making money or earning favors shit that’s the driving force of this impeachment inquiry.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Zarrab connected to Trumo, Epstein, Turkey president, and Iranian goverment, that's what im hearing?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    rhylith wrote: »

He’s the [TRUMP ASSOCIATE] arrested for [CRIME] that Trump pressed [OTHER TRUMP ASSOCIATE] to pressure [DOMESTIC LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY] to drop the charges.

There, now almost every impeachable Trump scandal can use this fun Mad Libs format!

This administration is great!

*cries*

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    rhylith wrote: »

He’s the [TRUMP ASSOCIATE] arrested for [CRIME] that Trump pressed [OTHER TRUMP ASSOCIATE] to pressure [DOMESTIC LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY] to drop the charges.

There, now almost every impeachable Trump scandal can use this fun Mad Libs format!

This administration is great!

*cries*

I’d planned to do up impeachment bingo cards as a silly thing for one of the silly threads, but with this story I’ve realized every version of my cards has been filled in already. Oh well.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Barr totally did tip them off.

Barr gets told yesterday evening that there are plans to charge and arrest them and then coincidentally also last night they have to be arrested at an airport with one way tickets out of the country?

Julia Davis of Washington Post & Daily Beast: A DOJ official said AG William P. Barr was first briefed on the case in February, shortly after he was confirmed. He received more briefings in recent weeks, and was informed Wednesday evening that the men would be charged and taken into custody.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I need to know when they bought the tickets. If it was "yesterday after Barr's briefing", I have a post-orgasm cigarette all ready to go.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I'd imagine obstruction at the very min, he was attempting to get them to leave the country.

It's just insane our US attorney general was/is most likely attempting to help two criminals flee his own prosecution.

I'll remind you this is the guy who got the Job as USAG after helping sweep Iran/contra under the rug.

So for him covering up crimes is like his reason for being.

I doubt Barr realized the pile of shit he was stepping in when he took the job though.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I need to know when they bought the tickets. If it was "yesterday after Barr's briefing", I have a post-orgasm cigarette all ready to go.

I feel pretty confident you can start the lighter now.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Since reality is crossing this streams this is a great time to point out that a) Barr’s son in law is the current White House counsel, and he got that job just as Barr was appointed Attorney General, and b) Barr’s Dad was a close personal friend of Epstein’s, and even gave the unqualified college drop out his very first job...

...teaching maths and physics to high school kids at a prestigious private high school in New York.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Since reality is crossing this streams this is a great time to point out that a) Barr’s son in law is the current White House counsel, and he got that job just as Barr was appointed Attorney General, and b) Barr’s Dad was a close personal friend of Epstein’s, and even gave the unqualified college drop out his very first job...

...teaching maths and physics to high school kids at a prestigious private high school in New York.

The genre of reality seems to suddenly be changing to "Conspiracy thriller."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

with a side of farce.

Something appealing, something appalling
    Something for everyone, a comedy tonight!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit, yes, it is that Linda McMahon, of popular entertainment actual criminal conspiracy WWE infamy

Fuck

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

At some point "grand multi generational right wing conspiracy" becomes just how the world works and none of us stopped it.

Oh god...is this "the deep state" they keep projecting about?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Feeling left out? Aw don't worry Rick, they didn't forget about you.

Congressional corr., CNN.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, yes, it is that Linda McMahon, of popular entertainment actual criminal conspiracy WWE infamy

Fuck

I'm so glad I voted against her when she did that run for Senate in CT

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Foreign agents using shell orgs to funnel dark money into super PACs for politicians? Gee, it's like exactly the thing people said was going to happen after Citizens United and we were told by conservatives "no it won't."

This discussion has been closed.