As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Really, the only weaknesses that the clans had were in terms of logistics, adjusting to long term warfare and typically starting their bachalls at 2:1 odds against them.

I always liked how Tex sums it up in his video about the Mad Cat

Discount Dan seems like a guy willing to make an above board deal... Might drop by and see what he has.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    MWO system/performance question: bumped my GTX 750 up to a GTX 1060 6GB. Upped visual options in MWO up a few notches, hoping I'd get things like the pretty smoke trails from LRM I see in Baradul's clips. Got into one match, lots of stuttering as soon as things started happening, and my Catapult got instantly shredded by a Raven(?) with MGs(?). I think it was a Europe server, so possibly lag.
    Anyways, did not go well.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I never play on any server other than NA just because the lag can be horrible like what you saw. I used to run MWO on a 970, but upgraded a while ago to a 1080. Nothing changed since I already ran it maxed out on the 970, so no idea if there is any difference.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I was always bummed they didn't design it so your starting mech switched up based on character choices, but I suppose people would just game the choices to get multiple shadowhawks and stomp the early campaign.

I mean I'm sure there's enough 40-45 ton mechs that are each favored by a particular faction and all have similar BVs and relatively matched hardpoints, but ah well

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I was always bummed they didn't design it so your starting mech switched up based on character choices, but I suppose people would just game the choices to get multiple shadowhawks and stomp the early campaign.

I mean I'm sure there's enough 40-45 ton mechs that are each favored by a particular faction and all have similar BVs and relatively matched hardpoints, but ah well

I just did a quick tour through Sarna, and there's remarkably few 'Mechs at those weights for the Inner Sphere powers prior to the Invasion. Like, less than two handfuls. It's weird.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I just did a quick tour through Sarna, and there's remarkably few 'Mechs at those weights for the Inner Sphere powers prior to the Invasion. Like, less than two handfuls. It's weird.

And only 4 in the unmodded game.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    I think HBS knows that the end-game 4-5 skull combat isn't that fun, which is why both the campaign and the flashpoints are mostly in 1.5 to 4 skull range. I don't know about others but I just finish my career runs once I have most flashpoints done and have a lance with good heavies. It's just all downhill from there in my experience.

That's kind of the big advantage of career mode: mission difficulty doesn't increase based on the milestones in the campaign story, so you can eff around doing 3 to 4 skull planets in your lance of Heavies forever.

• Options
    Has anybody made/released a mod that makes it so your "character creation" choices (faction, etc) affects what 'mech/variant you start with?

That'd be neat.

Like Mirkel said, BT XT 3025 ±CE has this, as does BT Advanced 3062. There's also a standalone mod if you don't want to use a big mod pack.

I actually think that a Career mode start should give you a lance of old Royal mechs. You and your starting crew are just a bunch of scavengers who stumbled onto an ancient LosTech DropShip and you put together a lance of old-school mechs from the spare parts in its hold. Might be too easy, though, since the Royal mechs are generally better than "contemporary" mechs.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Has anybody made/released a mod that makes it so your "character creation" choices (faction, etc) affects what 'mech/variant you start with?

That'd be neat.

Like Mirkel said, BT XT 3025 ±CE has this, as does BT Advanced 3062. There's also a standalone mod if you don't want to use a big mod pack.

I actually think that a Career mode start should give you a lance of old Royal mechs. You and your starting crew are just a bunch of scavengers who stumbled onto an ancient LosTech DropShip and you put together a lance of old-school mechs from the spare parts in its hold. Might be too easy, though, since the Royal mechs are generally better than "contemporary" mechs.

Alt career mode: You have to drop with at least one Royal mech per mission (because that's your Merc unit branding you see). When you lose the last game over, score time.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I've tried an all-royal-mech starting lance. It's fun, but definitely much easier than the alternative. Useful for when you feel like curb-stomping fools though.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

That'd be neat.

There's no lighter Royal mechs - you'd end up starting with Griffin, Black Knight, Highlander and Atlas II. That's more killing power than I usually end my careers with.

• Options

That'd be neat.

There's no lighter Royal mechs - you'd end up starting with Griffin, Black Knight, Highlander and Atlas II. That's more killing power than I usually end my careers with.

Nah, you just end up with 4x Royal Griffins to start with.

Slap some SRM6s on those bad boys and with that mobility and heat dissipation, yeah, they can pretty well back shot anything that doesn't kill them first...

Fun for a curb stomp. :D

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Was that just 3025/3030/etc era mechs? Because a lot of the Star League era mechs do have downgraded variants (the Sentinel comes to mind).

But I guess what happened is that all of those were destroyed because the downgraded ones were probably used as spare parts for the upgraded ones, and once the upgraded ones were lost, that was that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Was that just 3025/3030/etc era mechs? Because a lot of the Star League era mechs do have downgraded variants (the Sentinel comes to mind).

But I guess what happened is that all of those were destroyed because the downgraded ones were probably used as spare parts for the upgraded ones, and once the upgraded ones were lost, that was that.

Naw, they were still around, the Wyvern entry even states that by the time the Clans invaded, all of the great houses could field at least one, and ComStar started leaking out downgraded versions of some of these mechs (especially to the Draconis Combine). What was more likely was that advance tech was stripped off of those mechs as it broke/became unrepairable and replaced with standard gear (ex: ERPPC replaced with regular PPC). Mechs that relied on Endo-Steel and XL engines probably did disappear completely though.

IMO, the biggest problem is that the 40-45 tonners that each faction uses tends to, well, not be well balanced.

For example, you'd probably be looking at something like:
    Liao: Vindicator VND-1R
    Steiner: Hatchetman HCT-3F
    Davion: Hatchetman HCT-3F/(Blackjack BJ-1 or BJ-1DB?)
    Kurita: Sentinel STN-3K(mainly thanks to ComStar)/Phoenix Hawk PHX-1K
    Marik: Hermes II HER-2S

(I added alternatives to Davion and Kurita in case we wanted each faction to be "unique" and the Sentinel not really being a totem mech for the DC, but it did give a nod towards ComStar outfitting them with downgraded SLDF era mechs).

Stretching it to 50 tons might get a better result:

Kurita could swap to the Crab (which was a more common ComStar downgraded SLDF mech), since they don't really have a more emblematic 40-45 ton mech until the Clan invasion.
    Davion likes the Enforcer and Centurion, probably as much as the Hatchetman.
    Marik could swap to the Hunchback

• Options

That'd be neat.

There's a bunch more Royal mechs available via mod. All the down to a Locust, I think. No idea if they're canonical or not, but if they're good enough for BTA 3062, they're good enough for me!

• Options
    MWO:

I’m somewhat amused that the free Warhammer IIC that everybody got for Christmas and hated is a part of the drop ship deal they’re starting this weekend (due to it doing so well in the competitive scene).

I’m actually wondering how many people who junked their free one are going to end up picking one up for the sale?

(Full disclosure, still have mine but I junked the Corsair (and regret it) and the free La Malinche (only kinda regret it)).

• Options
    Wait... The Warhammer IIc is now good? That is sort of funny.

One thing I learned long ago in MWO is that you never junk a mech because it could come back better later on. Although this was more during the days when PGI actually did tweaks to the balance than now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Not just the Warhammer IIC, but the hero mech with no hard points, the Bludgeon.

(I don’t know the full comp rules, but I’ll bet it’s because they used a quad PPC version to save 5 tons in drop weight over a Warhawk).

• Options
    Ah yeah that's the one I meant. That would make sense that it is just being run as a lighter Warhawk. Maybe I'll redo mine to this build. Or just leave it as is and play other mechs...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    It’s okay, I have mine set up for quad ERPPCs too, but I can fit a Warhawk in my drop decks and the Rifleman IIC with quad ERLL as my second drop with some room to spare.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    It’s okay, I have mine set up for quad ERPPCs too, but I can fit a Warhawk in my drop decks and the Rifleman IIC with quad ERLL as my second drop with some room to spare.

Hmm, I forgot you ran yours with quad ERPPCs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hey everybody.

I've got an Atlas with a Gauss Rifle and an AC20 on it (Battletech). Lookatmeeee!

Edit: and 2 pulse ML's, and 2 6SRMs.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    So I after applying the latest BT Advanced 3062, I was looking through all the available mechs using the Skirmish mode mech browser, and I saw the Fafnir, a mech I'd never heard of before. It mounts two Heavy Gauss Rifles! You can't really see the actual mech model in the Skirmish mode browser, though, so I looked it up on sarna.net:
    Fafnir_FMLA.jpg?timestamp=20150102043438

I gazed upon the artwork for it and the first thought that leapt to my mind was...

BIG TITTY GAUSS GIRLFRIEND!

I am a horrible person.

• Options
    PGI changed the model a bit, but it is still awesome.

https://mwomercs.com/fafnir

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    so

does it basically hold only one shot for each cannon

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    @Betsuni

Hey! Hey Bets! Know what day it is?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Oh sheesh! I thought today was Wednesday. Woo!!! It is Oosik Night!

Thanks for the dose of reality.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    so

does it basically hold only one shot for each cannon

The ports aren’t the full gun barrel, there’s a smaller one in the center

• Options
    Group queue has been sliding further into the dumpster unfortunately

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Group queue has been sliding further into the dumpster unfortunately

Man... So what you are saying is that if we get 4 of us on we should make a private map to play! I am game with that.

Oh and by the way. I got my mic to work... No idea how, but it is working now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    PGI changed the model a bit, but it is still awesome.

https://mwomercs.com/fafnir

I always really liked the Mechwarrior 4 version of it:
    6520991ae2e91cb74fa3fa891049d3e0.jpg

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ooh that looks beautiful.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Also I'm standing by for more really dumb ballistic drops tonight!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    By the way, I'll likely be a little on the later side of any Oosik drop shenanigans.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    @Erlkönig @Nobody Wow, there are two people in Discord already. GET IN HERE!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Sorry Bets. Brother got absorbed in Destiny 2...so played that until about 20 minutes ago. Popped into MWO to see if anybody was still on (figured it was a long shot) and ran a match.

Was a loss, but it was a close one. Dealt top damage on my side (738 dealt, ~550 taken) and was the last alive versus 2 assaults and a Marauder. Not a bad showing for an aging Timber Wolf (4xERML+4xSRM6 with Artemis).

• Options
    edited October 2019
    No problem. AFTER YOU REMINDED ME THAT TONIGHT WAS OOSIK NIGHT!!! It was fun with @TOGSolid @BeornK and @Nobody . We ran a few matches of all Catapults. Think we were overall rolled but it was fun to die with PA folk. I even got to try out the Annihilator with 2AC2s and 2RAC2s. It is a weirdly effective build.

Edit: Sorry, it is the 3AC2 and 3RAC2 build.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Hey everybody.

I've got an Atlas with a Gauss Rifle and an AC20 on it (Battletech). Lookatmeeee!

Now I have two of them.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hey everybody.

Now I have two of them.

Two more and your Steiner Scout Lance will be complete.

• Options
    Where did you get a second gauss rifle?!