As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X570 - Only one is silent, all the rest come with spinners and not the fidget kind

So I am looking to make a new build with the goal of making it a ninja monster of a PC, a rig that is virtually silent until it has to push through frame upon frame of gaming goodness.

To reach the goal I have a case for the purpose, a PSU that goes passive cooled when not stressed, the same with the graphics card, a CPU cooler from that company which used to only make brown fans... only the mother board is challenge. I want to go with a X570 but all with the exception of one I have found come with a small fan and I hate small fans.

Small fans has to spin fast to move any air, so they are loud and they also tend to wear out quickly thus I want to avoid having to deal with that. However so far I found only one fanless X570, the GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme and while one is enough for a build the $700 price is way over the top for me. So is there alternatives I have just missed somehow?

The Xtreme in a review at Anandtech

The ideal board for me would be one with great functionality, which to me means lots of slots, lots of SATA ports, optical audio in and out however I do not care for WIFI or LED light shows or any bling including fancy plastic covers that are just in the way of free air flow.

This is more like what I am looking for, only it has a fan :(

ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace, also in a Anandtech review

Bones heal, glory is forever.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    We have a PC build thread that this would be more appropriate for, but long story short X570 is a hot running, power hungry chipset, which is why they have fans on the south bridge. PCI-e 4.0 just requires that much power, and that produces heat, which needs to be dissipated.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Buy any x570 board and look for an aftermarket heatsink that you can passively cool with the rest of the components.
    I think the AORUS Extreme waterforce is the only "off the shelf" one though.

example mod:

https://i.imgur.com/OlHHlmi.jpg

I would think that a case with 2 massive slow rpm fans and beefy heatsinks would be incredibly silent.

• BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Buy any x570 board and look for an aftermarket heatsink that you can passively cool with the rest of the components.
    I think the AORUS Extreme waterforce is the only "off the shelf" one though.

example mod:

https://i.imgur.com/OlHHlmi.jpg

I would think that a case with 2 massive slow rpm fans and beefy heatsinks would be incredibly silent.

Thank you.

Looks doable only I am not keen on having to mod a motherboard. It ought to be fine only I wonder how well it can be monitored as opposed to say when fiddling with the CPU cooler or similar.

Time for more research.

wunderbar wrote: »
    We have a PC build thread that this would be more appropriate for, but long story short X570 is a hot running, power hungry chipset, which is why they have fans on the south bridge. PCI-e 4.0 just requires that much power, and that produces heat, which needs to be dissipated.

I know the thread and looked for info on the X570 in it as well, only I did not really find what I was looking for and since A. I am asking about one element of a computer and not a whole build. And B. posting such a specific question in the thread would mean it just gets lost, so that is why I made the seperate post.

Also, no question there is a reason why the X570 needs more cooling than we are used to with other main stream boards, only that does not change the issues having a small fan comes with nor that there is a board out there which does without the fan only it is very costly.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The PC Build thread isn't so fast moving that any answers to your question would get lost. If you have a PC build question you should definitely ask it there.

With regards to your question though, some X570 motherboards stop the fan until they reach a certain temperature. For example 60 or 70 degrees .

I have the MSI X570 Meg Ace which I've only heard the fan once when I first installed it. After setting it to silence mode it's so far remained off.

MSI just released the X570 Unify which is apparently even better in terms of temps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxJ8rB5DiUE

Avoid any MSI X570 below the Godlike, Ace or Unify, as the rest are basically all trash that run hot.

Avoid the Asrock X570 motherboards for similar reason. I saw one post on reddit recently about someone's Tachi fan died. This is probably due to a combination of the fan and heatsink location, and also possibly due to the quality of the parts used. I think there might be watercooled Asrock motherboard, but given the company's issues lately it still might be a bad buy.

The Gigabyte (with the exception of the Gaming X) and Asus X570 motherboards have good temps overall.

Personally if the MSI Unify is available for a decent price I'd get that. Otherwise get something from Gigabyte or Asus.2

You could also try one of the B450/X470 MAX version motherboards if you really want no fan, as these are updated models that are Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • usul512usul512 Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I have an ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace in a be quiet! Dark Base 700 case and it's just about inaudible. I'm running Silent Wings fans and those are darn quiet, too. The major noise maker in my build is GPU fans, and that's only when they ramp up past 40-50%.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah; my understanding is the active cooling on x570 is very near silent and often the fans just don't need to run. For that reason, I went with the gigabyte x570 aorus master for my build.

Dehumanized on
    I did eventually go with the MSI Unify X570 and overall I am pretty happy with it, still I do wonder how long the fan on the board is gonna last.

So far I am running it with a Ryzen 3600, it may be that one of the new generation of CPU's will tempt me to upgrade. However it would not be a rational upgrade as I mainly game in 4K where the improvement to be gained with a faster CPU like single digit percentages. The jury is still out, seeing real independent tests of the new AMD CPU's and GPU's should make for an informed choice.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Edit: this isn't the build thread!

jungleroomx on
    Edit: this isn't the build thread!

No and the subject is also a lot more narrow than just a build.