As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    There are some occasions where you have to wear something special, like defending your dissertation:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Intelligence is quite an arbitrary reason to not eat something so you can just pick a different arbitrary thing

Lottery ticket purchases

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Intelligence is quite an arbitrary reason to not eat something so you can just pick a different arbitrary thing

I eat nothing that features in the Redwall series of books

*stares longingly at the badger aisle in the supermarket*

Those books have some of the most lavish descriptions for food that is not actually food I have ever read. By then end of them I was thinking maybe acorn really is that good, you know?

Its mostly real there's a cookbook. Jacques was big on making everything vegetarian for the prey animals

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I saw the video of the cows playing with a beachball, and I still love beef, pigs are going to do some really impressive stuff for me to stop considering them delicious.

Nobody’s claiming that they’re not delicious

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Meet Holly, your 2019 Fat Bear Week champion:

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That's certainly a Holly jolly bear

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Meet Holly, your 2019 Fat Bear Week champion:

Hello

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It's really great that Holly won this year. She's a great bear, the mother of 89 Backpack and 719 (now a 5 year old female bear) as well as the adoptive mother of 503 Cubadult. She's also been quite close to winning Fat bear week a couple of times now.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    It's really great that Holly won this year. She's a great bear, the mother of 89 Backpack and 719 (now a 5 year old female bear) as well as the adoptive mother of 503 Cubadult. He's also been quite close to winning Fat bear week a couple of times now.

https://youtu.be/zruJYC6bzMk

The adoptive mother thing though is really interesting, though. I wonder how common that is. You hear about the opposite (murdering juveniles of different parentage) all the time, but that’s generally in pack animals.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Geese apparently do it all the time.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2019
    VishNub wrote: »
    The adoptive mother thing though is really interesting, though. I wonder how common that is. You hear about the opposite (murdering juveniles of different parentage) all the time, but that’s generally in pack animals.

It's described as "Very rare" in brown bears, and slightly more common (but not that common) among black bears.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    Maybe she lost a cub and a new one showed up in the right window of time?

Or maybe she's just a bear with very strong mothering instincts. She was raising 719 at the same time.

Or maybe she's just a bear with very strong mothering instincts. She was raising 719 at the same time.

That's a lot of cubs. What's one more?

steam_sig.png

That's a lot of cubs. What's one more?

Booo! Boooo!

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Adopting or murder?
    With geese, I'm never quite sure.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

We didn't have a class on ninja history in my school.

see317 wrote: »

Adopting or murder?

Adopting. Apparently mother geese will just take any old gosling in. Did I have 5? 8? Who knows?

steam_sig.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Such bullshit that if a wild animal takes a random baby it's adorable, but I do it to a kid in the mall I'm suddenly on the 6:00 news.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Adopting or murder?

Adopting. Apparently mother geese will just take any old gosling in. Did I have 5? 8? Who knows?

Ok look in defense of geese they have to spend a lot of time trivially annoying people with no eyes so you can't really expect them to keep track of how many goslings they have

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Such bullshit that if a wild animal takes a random baby it's adorable, but I do it to a kid in the mall I'm suddenly on the 6:00 news.

Well duh. You're supposed to take random wolf pups.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Well duh. You're supposed to take random wolf pups.

But those are so much harder to find in the local mall.
    Maybe one of those derelict abandoned malls would have a better selection though...

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

We didn't have a class on ninja history in my school.

Not one you could find, anyway.

"Hello, Sensei Senseison-san."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Adopting or murder?

Have you dealt with kids? Suddenly I'm sympathetic to geese.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    PROTIP: When determining the name to use on your fake ID, do remember that yes, cops have watched Superbad:
    An underage University of Iowa student was arrested early Friday after police reported he possessed a “fake Hawaii ID with the name ‘McLovin,’” in his wallet.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    And either way . . . that only worked because it was in the script, fella. That's not a name people actually have.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    And either way . . . that only worked because it was in the script, fella. That's not a name people actually have.

AND the cops actually knew it was fake, they were just wanting to party.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    He used the exact same birthdate as well. It's as if he thought the information from the movie was a magic formula... or thought older people were stupid and was going full on troll. Like this guy looks like a teen, not someone nearing 40.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular

You mean you haven't heard of the New Hampshire McLovin's?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    He used the exact same birthdate as well. It's as if he thought the information from the movie was a magic formula... or thought older people were stupid and was going full on troll. Like this guy looks like a teen, not someone nearing 40.

Sounds more like he was hoping to meet cops who would be down on the joke, rather than an honest attempt.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    PROTIP: When determining the name to use on your fake ID, do remember that yes, cops have watched Superbad:
    An underage University of Iowa student was arrested early Friday after police reported he possessed a “fake Hawaii ID with the name ‘McLovin,’” in his wallet.

That they actually charged him with possession of a fake ID instead of recognizing it as the blatantly obvious joke item it is tells me the no, the cops haven't watched Superbad.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

That they actually charged him with possession of a fake ID instead of recognizing it as the blatantly obvious joke item it is tells me the no, the cops haven't watched Superbad.
    It doesn't stop being a fake ID just because it's also a movie reference.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    He had been drinking so I am guessing the bartender didn't watch Superbad either.

steam_sig.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    He had been drinking so I am guessing the bartender didn't watch Superbad either.

The article says he presented his real, underage ID at the bar. It makes no mention of him trying to use it as a fake ID, only that it was in his wallet when he was being arrested.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Life imitates art as high school football player is forced to tackle teammate running interception - the wrong way:

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    News: In the UK, collecting bird eggs (as one might do of stamps) is a thing.

Bad news: this includrs eggs of rare and endangered species.

Gone right: Operation Easter.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/07/22/operation-easter

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

You mean you haven't heard of the New Hampshire McLovin's?

Just the Sackville Bagginses, a loathsome lot

This has to be the best "oh shit" moment caught on film.

This discussion has been closed.