As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I still don't know why they never had support for 360 controllers on the One. Other than a couple of buttons getting new labels, it had all the same functionality.

That being said, I know Sony will fuck us on controllers next go around.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I still don't know why they never had support for 360 controllers on the One. Other than a couple of buttons getting new labels, it had all the same functionality.

Does the X1 have USB ports?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

We mentioned this before: Xbox One controllers used to have IR emitters built into them. The original Elite controllers, and all controllers that come in the two-piece shells, still do. If you use flash photography, you can see them under the plastic. They work with the Kinect, and pointed to wider integration, starting with profile switching (the Kinect is capable of distinguishing when someone hands off a controller to someone else and switching profiles), but it never went beyond that--which means we missed out of the glory of amazing motion control gameplay with the Dualshock 3 and 4, since that's probably the closest comparison.

Also, Microsoft didn't feel obligated to do so. You can't use original Xbox controllers with the Xbox 360 by themselves. None of Sony's wireless controllers worked between console generations without add-ons. Nintendo's support of Gamecube controllers down the line was considered very unusual (and welcome). Additionally, there wasn't as much investment into the Xbox 360 controllers as a product itself (no design lab, far fewer unique controllers) over a long console generation. Meanwhile, Xbox One controllers have a collector's scene starting with the rare Day One models.

Really, most people probably would've preferred keeping their Xbox 360 controllers for Xbox One than Microsoft's attempt at dumb Dualshock 3/4 gimmicks from Sony--"Shake this controller keep a soldier from grabbing you," "Put this controller down keep this controller still otherwise you fail this stealth event," "Shake this controller to make Old Snake's Butt/Ayane's Boobs jiggle" type stuff. That would probably rank right up there with shouting into the Kinect during certain boss fights in Dead Rising 3. But it was something Microsoft had talked about during the Kinect program on Xbox 360, but said they couldn't implement with the current hardware, so that's the way they went. It probably would've gone as selection dialog choices in a David Cage game or making Snake's but jiggle for the camera, but it is, in fact, a mechanical difference unique to the new controllers.

Disclaimer: If you can't tell, I'm not really into motion controls.

Does the X1 have USB ports?

How else would you use USB drives with it? That aside, you can use them to sync controllers if holding two buttons down isn't your style. Or use the play and charge kit.

Synthesis on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    TBF, the USB ports are hard to notice if you never had a reason to use them.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I was only asking because there is a nom-zero number of wired 360 controllers. No ports would mean no real support.

Not a big deal.

I get that the original vision for XBO included Kinect integration into just about everything and didn't include any kind of backwards compatibility. But since they clearly changed gears, I feel like they could have added support for 360 controllers when they introduced BC. Ultimately, it's not a big deal to me. I got rid of my 360 and everything before I got my XBO, so I have no old controllers.

Now, you can definitely argue that most of the PS controllers updates over the year have been bullshit, but there's no denying that the hardware has actual functional differences.

I was only asking because there is a nom-zero number of wired 360 controllers. No ports would mean no real support.

Not a big deal.

TBH, I don't even understand why you're talking about 360 controller support to begin with.

Not a big deal.

TBH, I don't even understand why you're talking about 360 controller support to begin with.

Because I brought it up.

edited October 2019

Not a big deal.

Unfortunately, I don't think those necessarily work with the Xbox One because of closed software barriers (which are...also kind of dumb). Like a wired Guitar Hero controller, or the very nice DOA4 fighting stick I would like to use with my XB1X, That's mostly exploitative for profits (not even necessarily on Microsoft's part, but of the peripheral manufacturers).
    I get that the original vision for XBO included Kinect integration into just about everything and didn't include any kind of backwards compatibility. But since they clearly changed gears, I feel like they could have added support for 360 controllers when they introduced BC. Ultimately, it's not a big deal to me. I got rid of my 360 and everything before I got my XBO, so I have no old controllers.

Now, you can definitely argue that most of the PS controllers updates over the year have been bullshit, but there's no denying that the hardware has actual functional differences.

The controller revision coming out would've been the time to do it, alongside BC support, but by then I suspect there was a lot less interest in doing it at all. There are almost certainly subtle differences in the very proprietary RF standards between Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers that would've taken actual software development time, and cutting corners as companies do, Microsoft didn't bother.

Also, that coincides with the Xbox One controllers getting BT as standard (which isn't used by the console) and headset jack support (which very much is). So in addition to Xbox One controller peripherals, standard headset support wouldn't work for Xbox 360 controllers on Xbox One. Of course, Microsoft could just say "It only works as a controller and not a headset/peripheral hub", the same way nothing stopped Sony from saying, "DS3 works on Playstation 4, you just don't have the light and the swipe pad." It just wasn't worth it for either company.

Synthesis on

Not a big deal.

Because I brought it up.

I don't understand you.

Synthesis wrote: »
    Also, that coincides with the Xbox One controllers getting BT as standard (which isn't used by the console) and headset jack support (which very much is). So in addition to Xbox One controller peripherals, standard headset support wouldn't work for Xbox 360 controllers on Xbox One. Of course, Microsoft could just say "It only works as a controller and not a headset/peripheral hub", the same way nothing stopped Sony from saying, "DS3 works on Playstation 4, you just don't have the light and the swipe pad." It just wasn't worth it for either company.

Ultimately it's not that big of a deal. They had a hardware reason (Kinect support) for not accepting 360 controllers in the beginning, and they never bothered changing that when the Kinect died. I wasn't originally aware of that and I totally get it. But I do think there's a huge difference "this controller doesn't have a headset jack" and "this controller just straight up won't work with a not insignificant number of games".

Not a big deal.

Because I brought it up.

I don't understand you.

Because we were talking about controllers and other peripherals carrying over from one gen to the next (or rather not), and it was just part of that conversation. I get that sometimes conversations go on for more than one of two posts, but I didn't think it was that hard to follow.

Not a big deal.

Because I brought it up.

I don't understand you.

Because we were talking about controllers and other peripherals carrying over from one gen to the next (or rather not), and it was just part of that conversation. I get that sometimes conversations go on for more than one of two posts, but I didn't think it was that hard to follow.

ipyx4ytj7qjj.png

edited October 2019

Ultimately it's not that big of a deal. They had a hardware reason (Kinect support) for not accepting 360 controllers in the beginning, and they never bothered changing that when the Kinect died. I wasn't originally aware of that and I totally get it. But I do think there's a huge difference "this controller doesn't have a headset jack" and "this controller just straight up won't work with a not insignificant number of games".

As off topic as it is, what PS4 games would "straight up not work" with the swipe pad or the tracking light? Excluding PSVR because, aside from alternative Wand controller support, those are very easy to categorize as unsupported (they don't work without a VR headset either, to start). Obviously, basically the entire Xbox Live library has headset support, and wearable headsets are vastly more common than using the Kinect as a microphone (plus, the Xbox 360 controller can't use the pre-headphone jack Xbox One headset either).

Obviously I'm not as well informed, but some of the best known examples--games like Until Dawn--still use both optionally I thought.

Synthesis on

Not a big deal.

Because I brought it up.

I don't understand you.

ipyx4ytj7qjj.png

Sadly temporary.

Off the top of my head, Killzone used swipe gestures for some of its controls. Though I think it's kinda silly that you're asking me to name games that utilize DS4-specific features while arbitrarily telling me not to include a bunch of games that utilize DS4-specific features.

In this hypothetical scenario where they suppost DS3s, they would also have to sacrifice the share button. There's straight up not enough buttons. I think that's on par with not being able to use certain headsets (ie: a system-level restriction that has nothing to do with actual gameplay).

edited October 2019
    Off the top of my head, Killzone used swipe gestures for some of its controls. Though I think it's kinda silly that you're asking me to name games that utilize DS4-specific features while arbitrarily telling me not to include a bunch of games that utilize DS4-specific features.

In this hypothetical scenario where they suppost DS3s, they would also have to sacrifice the share button. There's straight up not enough buttons. I think that's on par with not being able to use certain headsets (ie: a system-level restriction that has nothing to do with actual gameplay).

I don't see why Microsoft could say, "You can't use headsets with this controller" but Sony couldn't say "You can't use this controller with PSVR." You can play games without a headset, but there are no shortage of PS4 games that aren't PSVR exclusive (or don't depend on the light otherwise), and no matter what, controller coverage is going to have gaps in it--you simply say, "This controller is not compatible with (most) PSVR." "This controller isn't compatible with any Xbox One accessories." It doesn't strike me as silly, but whatever.

Synthesis on
    I don't see why Microsoft could say, "You can't use headsets with this controller" but Sony couldn't say "You can't use this controller with PSVR." You can play games without a headset

Because there's a big difference between not having access to an optional feature (chat isn't required for any game), and not having access to entire games.

edited October 2019
    I don't see why Microsoft could say, "You can't use headsets with this controller" but Sony couldn't say "You can't use this controller with PSVR." You can play games without a headset

Because there's a big difference between not having access to an optional feature (chat isn't required for any game), and not having access to entire games.

Microsoft has put enormous emphasis on voice chat in multiplayer games, and has made support for it a requirement for developers. Some games, like Sea of Thieves, have voice chat as an actual gameplay element that couldn't be accounted or by using your phone or something else. They're not exactly the same, but it's still enough of an issue that the control would be outright unsuitable in specific cases--which was the whole point of "You can't use the DS3" in this theoretical consideration.

"The Xbox 360 controller basically does everything the same," doesn't seem a solid next to "But the DS3's motion controls can't take the place of the DS4's motion controls in the specific games that use them." I don't think the later's particularly different from "The Xbox 360 controller won't have the audio and peripheral support than the Xbox one controller has." Either way, hardware support would mean a lot of compromises that users would need to accept. And from a business practica standpoint, it's not surprising that Sony wouldn't want to deal with that any more than Microsoft would--we're probably lucky to be getting any hardware compatibility going forward at all.

EDIT: Excluding PSVR games also doesn't seem so silly since if Sony ever did this, it'd be early on in the console's life, before PSVR was launched. Microsoft launched the Xbox One with Kinect hardware (and only sold the console with it on top of that!).

Synthesis on
    edited October 2019
    The reason why the Xbox 360 controller is not supported on the Xbox One is because the Xbox One has a proprietary wireless protocol—Xbox Wireless— that was not back implemented for the Xbox 360 controllers. That is also why you needed a special adapter/dongle to use older Xbox One controllers on PCs.

The protocol is supposed to operate at with a higher bandwidth than the xbox 360 controllers were capable of utilizing properly. The protocol is also able to transmit stereo audio, etc.

The next Xbox will either continue to support the Xbox Wireless protocol, and newer controllers have bluetooth anyway so that's why they're likely to still be compatible.

tastydonuts on
    I mean, if we're insisting that chat is a completely essential feature on par with actual buttons and inputs, there's also the fact that allowing 360 controllers wouldn't have killed chat in the first place since 360 wired headsets can still plug into a 360 controllers, and there was no reason why Xbox had to kill support for USB or BT headsets when switching over to the One.

I get that this is the "xbox is good" thread, but I don't even feel like I'm really shitting on MS here or anything.

edited October 2019
    The reason why the Xbox 360 controller is not supported on the Xbox One is because the Xbox One has a proprietary wireless protocol—Xbox Wireless— that was not back implemented for the Xbox 360 controllers. That is also why you needed a special adapter/dongle to use older Xbox One controllers on PCs.

The protocol is supposed to operate at with a higher bandwidth than the xbox 360 controllers were capable of utilizing properly. The protocol is also able to transmit audio, etc.

The next Xbox will either continue to support the Xbox Wireless protocol, and newer controllers have bluetooth anyway so that's why they're likely to still be compatible.

The Xbox 360 wireless controllers also used a special dongle--so, functionally similar for the consumer, but not necessarily technologically compatible.

I believe Microsoft also had some partners support built-in receiver support in some partnered hardware (this is mentioned in all the FAQs and manuals), which never existed for Xbox 360.
    I mean, if we're insisting that chat is a completely essential feature on par with actual buttons and inputs, there's also the fact that allowing 360 controllers wouldn't have killed chat in the first place since 360 wired headsets can still plug into a 360 controllers, and there was no reason why Xbox had to kill support for USB or BT headsets when switching over to the One.

I get that this is the "xbox is good" thread, but I don't even feel like I'm really shitting on MS here or anything.

Didn't this begin with me pointing out how Microsoft's plan to actually used the IR technology unique to the XBox One controllers was tabled, and even if it hadn't it was probably a stupid idea to begin with? I'm sure it did.

Synthesis on

The protocol is supposed to operate at with a higher bandwidth than the xbox 360 controllers were capable of utilizing properly. The protocol is also able to transmit audio, etc.

Dude, if it's really a completely different and incompatible wireless protocol, that's all that really had to be said and we could have avoided this entire tangent.

edited October 2019

Dude, if it's really a completely different and incompatible wireless protocol, that's all that really had to be said and we could have avoided this entire tangent.

About six posts ago I pointed out there were differences in the proprietary RF--but for the sake of avoiding "Xbox is good" I pointed out that it was Microsoft's decision to make those changes in the first place. That also wouldn't have ruled out wired Xbox 360 controller support.

Synthesis on
    My bad. I guess I did miss that sentence.

edited October 2019

That would have required my not realizing that today is actually Thursday and not Friday, and the need to vent my despair somehow.

edit: TBF, Synthy's post doesn't outright say it so much as implies the difference, so not catching it is understandable.

tastydonuts on
    It would really strange if the RF signals--which were already jealously proprietary to begin with--on the Xbox 360 controller delivered in 2005 were functionally identical to those in 2013 and the difference came down to "dialing in the numbers."

The Xbox 360 controller was pretty good, but considering most non-console use came from the wired model, Microsoft probably long planned for changes. Some people were unhappy with the decision to stick with a proprietary RF rather than moving to Blutooth (ultimately, they were vindicated), but at the time Microsoft could point to the known complaints about bluetooth's vulnerability to interference and particularly input and audio lag (for bluetooth PC devices and also the PS3) and use that as an excuse.

I'm probably an exception, but even if I didn't have an Xbox One USB receiver, I think I'd rather plug my controller via USB rather than rely on bluetooth.

That would have required my not realizing that today is actually Thursday and not Friday, and the need to vent my despair somehow.

I loath Fridays, but that's because I work at a terrible job that's ruined them.

In (more) interesting news--so, Bloodstained has come to Game Pass on Console....and Bloodstained (Windows 10 Edition) has come to Game Pass on PC, to my surprise. That being said, these are separate games, so no cloud saving between platforms Cuphead style.

(Though if anyone wanted double-down on achievements, that's your chance.)

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I've just always assumed that every new generation of console would be mysteriously incompatible with all peripherals from the previous generation except maybe the television you are plugging them in to*. It would be nice if Xbone controllers turned out to be future compatible though.

Oh and HDMI-CEC or whatever it's called, I really want that in Scarlett. I recently discovered that I can control my AppleTV and PS4 media apps with my TV remote and it has been the best thing ever.

* HDMI-only consoles broke this one, but it was a good excuse to get a new TV

HDMI-CEC is still kind of divisive, as discussed in the television thread.

Still, it would be nice to have the option.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Mega Drive/Genesis controllers were compatible with its predecessor, the Master System. Technically it was true the other way around too, but the MS controllers only had two buttons so were of limited usefulness on a MD/G. It was all because they used a then-standard 9-pin D-socket that was also common on '80s and early '90s computers from the Spectrum to the Commodore 64 to the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga. And the controllers worked for them too if you wanted.

On the flipside, when the slim Xbox 360 came out, they straight-up broke compatibility with the 360's own memory cards, completely dropping the slot for them. Granted that probably impacted about twelve people ever, and it was accompanied by the firmware update that let the console just use a regular old USB flash drive as a memory card, but it was still weird. And the slim PS2 couldn't use the PS2 hard drive, making it unable to play FFXI at all.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I used to have that 360 memory card, only because you could load your XBL profile on it and that was faster way to "recover" to someone else's xbox rather than downloading, at the time. Now you can log in instantly on Xbox One on any console, but back in the day it would take 20+ minutes to load my profile, probably from all the games I had purchased and such.

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2019
    I used to have that 360 memory card, only because you could load your XBL profile on it and that was faster to "recover" to someone else's xbox, at the time. Now you can log in instantly on Xbox One on any console, but back in the day it would take 20+ minutes to load my profile, probably from all the games I had purchased and such.

Same. It made life so much quicker, and the time it otherwise took to load my profile onto a new console from Live was ridiculous. I got enough use out of the memory card to make it worth having. Practically a relic now!

I had a 64MB one, one of the early ones. I don't think I ever had one of the 256MB ones.

Jazz on
    Jazz wrote: »
    The Mega Drive/Genesis controllers were compatible with its predecessor, the Master System. Technically it was true the other way around too, but the MS controllers only had two buttons so were of limited usefulness on a MD/G. It was all because they used a then-standard 9-pin D-socket that was also common on '80s and early '90s computers from the Spectrum to the Commodore 64 to the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga. And the controllers worked for them too if you wanted.

On the flipside, when the slim Xbox 360 came out, they straight-up broke compatibility with the 360's own memory cards, completely dropping the slot for them. Granted that probably impacted about twelve people ever, and it was accompanied by the firmware update that let the console just use a regular old USB flash drive as a memory card, but it was still weird. And the slim PS2 couldn't use the PS2 hard drive, making it unable to play FFXI at all.

The reason we never got a memory card adapter (aside from the fact that virtually all Xbox 360 drives had hard drives) was because there were transfer cables (I had one) for the new Xbox 360, and then Microsoft made cloud storage a requirement for save game interchangeability for the Xbox One.

I own more than one PS2 USB memory card adapter that only works on PS3 (which was the point, to be fair, you just can't use them on PC as far as I know).

I remember losing all my saves because GameStop did this insane trade-in deal where they gave you like 200 towards the Slim the day after it was announced. So I grabbed my 360, which they barely took because I had custom painted the faceplate, and for the Slim day one for 100 bucks... With all my saves sacrificed to the blood gods for the deed.

I'm so glad cloud saves exist now, I went through several 360s with no way to transfer the files easily.

edited October 2019
    Yeah, I borrowed a transfer cable from a friend when my second old-shape 360 RRoD'd and I got a slim one. Then donated the old one's hard drive to a kid I knew who'd just got one without a hard drive.

I remember fairly recently sitting down with my 360, transferring saves to cloud storage for BC games I may conceivably want to play again one day on the Xbox One, going down the list and just skipping non-BC games. My 360 still works fine, thankfully (there's far too many non-BC games to get rid of it), but the thing takes so damn long to sign me in it's annoying. (#firstworldproblems)

Jazz on
    Yeah my 360 is pretty much a Burnout machine, and I got this 360 secondhand from a friend so it doesn't have all my games like the long lost Scott Pilgrim game with DLC :bigfrown:

edited October 2019
    Yeah my 360 is pretty much a Burnout machine, and I got this 360 secondhand from a friend so it doesn't have all my games like the long lost Scott Pilgrim game with DLC :bigfrown:

Isn't that like the only game that isn't re-downloadable? Sorry mang.

The "rarest" XBLA game I had was probably arcade Double Dragon, but that just wasn't available for long - it's still downloadable if you own it, at least. You know, like it should be. *glares at ridiculous Scott Pilgrim rights shenanigans*

Jazz on
    I remember losing all my saves because GameStop did this insane trade-in deal where they gave you like 200 towards the Slim the day after it was announced. So I grabbed my 360, which they barely took because I had custom painted the faceplate, and for the Slim day one for 100 bucks... With all my saves sacrificed to the blood gods for the deed.

I'm so glad cloud saves exist now, I went through several 360s with no way to transfer the files easily.

Yeah, I used the same trade in deal with a first-year Xbox 360 console (it didn't seem like a big deal back then). But I just held onto the top-mounted hard drive (which was the only thing thing the transfer cable needed--the cable was free with the new console). I ended up trading the old hard drive later that week once I was done with it.

The transfer cable was a good piece of kit.

edited October 2019
    * HDMI-only consoles broke this one, but it was a good excuse to get a new TV

Side note to this: my mum's living room TV is an old JVC, one of their earliest HDTVs from the early '00s, and still likes it so much she doesn't want to replace it. It still works just fine; it's 720p, has a decent enough picture and really good sound (its massively thick silver bezel gives it room for some huge speakers which pack quite a punch), but its problem is that it predates HDMI altogether. It does have a component input, though.

Which is why it has my PS3 connected to it. It has most of the streaming apps needed these days (ITV Hub is the only one it's missing, since ITV decided not to support older generation consoles any more to the point that you can't even access their site through the PS3's web browser - but then, their service is so half-assed it still lacks subtitles to this day), which an Xbox 360 could also do, but the PS3 is of course also a Blu-ray player - and it's the only device I know of that can do all of that through a component connection. Everything else would need HDMI, but the PS3 means this venerable old TV can still be reasonably useful.

Yeah, I used the same trade in deal with a first-year Xbox 360 console (it didn't seem like a big deal back then). But I just held onto the top-mounted hard drive (which was the only thing thing the transfer cable needed--the cable was free with the new console). I ended up trading the old hard drive later that week once I was done with it.

The transfer cable was a good piece of kit.

Yeah it was. It was a piece of cake to use and worked really well.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.