As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    OH btw Fury is f2p now and I hear the grind is now changed to a brick wall to the moon. But now sure if it can be categorize in the MMO-RPG list...

Haven't tried it yet, too many things to play! D:

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    OH btw Fury is f2p now and I hear the grind is now changed to a brick wall to the moon. But now sure if it can be categorize in the MMO-RPG list...

Haven't tried it yet, too many things to play! D:
    That went f2p fast. XD It's a clear indication that it sucked balls. :P

I'll put it on the list.

Aldo on
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The company that made/runs Fury, Auran, is going out of business. You should probably mention that one.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
    edited December 2007
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    The company that made/runs Fury, Auran, is going out of business. You should probably mention that one.
    ahahhaa

I wrote that they were probably trying to cut their losses, I guess I was sort of spot on. :P

Aldo on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    re: Perfect World. I was slightly taken aback when they demanded an ID number/password number for account registration, but then tried 01234567 which worked. There seems to be no verification at all so don't let it put you off. Will report back at some point if i like it or not. I saq a screenshot of someone flying a huge glowing sword so it looks promisingly awesome! (I love ridiculous games)

edit: oh and according to MMORPG.com the Fury company is retaining a few people to maintain fury, although how long for who knows.

Lly on
    edited January 2008
    So apparently CABAL is coming out with a new free expansion for Europe: http://www.cabalonline.com/news/view.asp?articleID=377&catid=6

Still no word on a free release for the US. Is the game making enough profit there or what?

Aldo on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, in a desperate fit of boredom I checked out Secret of Solstice, which is in open beta now. Game is A LOT like RO, except there are fewer classes and less to do. All the quests and gear are tied to your level, so that at level 16 you'll be able to use one set of gear, the next at level 22, and on and on. Also, you can't even leave the starting town until you're level 10, and you get there by completing 10 fetch quests, of which only the last is a pain, and that's only because the Engrish neatly obscures exactly where you're supposed to go. When you finally get your "class," you'll find that your actual choices are VERY limited. You can be a fighter who uses a sword and shield, and that's it, or a rogue who duel-wields daggers, and that's it, etc. Skills are also very limited, from what I could find out. And finding things out is a chore; the official website is useless for actual details on the game, and there are no fansites, at least according to Google, and most info around is still based on the closed beta. I'm sure that will change with time, and maybe the game will open up some, but right now it's quite bleh.

Really, if you want to play it, just play iRO instead.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • MithMith Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    So apparently CABAL is coming out with a new free expansion for Europe: http://www.cabalonline.com/news/view.asp?articleID=377&catid=6

Still no word on a free release for the US. Is the game making enough profit there or what?

There's a US version (ogplanet) closed beta apparently starting tomorrow and scheduled to last all of five days.

Mith on
    edited January 2008
    Mith wrote: »
    There's a US version (ogplanet) closed beta apparently starting tomorrow and scheduled to last all of five days.
    Not released at all over there, alrighty. o_O

Aldo on
  • Cpt. MurpheyCpt. Murphey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The new version of Space Cowboy Online is going to start beta testing on thursday, there is currently no one with a license in the US for it and gameforge hasn't specified if they are going to ip block non-euro players.

http://board.flysis.com/

Cpt. Murphey on
    edited January 2008
    The new version of Space Cowboy Online is going to start beta testing on thursday, there is currently no one with a license in the US for it and gameforge hasn't specified if they are going to ip block non-euro players.

http://board.flysis.com/
    That's just a message board, do you have a site/topic with some information I can skim over?

Aldo on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    looks like an mmo flying shootemup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05aZngUeQI

Looks interesting.

Lly on
    edited January 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    looks like an mmo flying shootemup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05aZngUeQI

Looks interesting.
    Yeah, I know what Space Cowboy is. It was one of the better free MMOs out there, but it stopped a few weeks ago. If this is a decent restart I'd like to know more about it, but the fact that their main site is a webforum does not bode well.

Aldo on
  • Cpt. MurpheyCpt. Murphey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The main site isn't up yet, and the client isn't going to be released today as planned due to security issues.
    There really is no reason to be concerned about it being a decent restart or not.
    Flysis is Space Cowboy, its just has bug fixes and improvements that we never got through gpotato.

Cpt. Murphey on
    edited January 2008
    The main site isn't up yet, and the client isn't going to be released today as planned due to security issues.
    There really is no reason to be concerned about it being a decent restart or not.
    Flysis is Space Cowboy, its just has bug fixes and improvements that we never got through gpotato.
    I'll add it to the list, at least. I don't have time for anything other than uni and Jade Empire at the moment, but I'll probably check it out in a few months.

Aldo on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Will they be changing the amount of experience gained?

It's a real killjoy having to kill the same shitty AI over and over again just to get to the good pvp parts.

Sigtyr on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Since I play it and didn't see it on the list..

infantry.station.sony.com

is free again.
    Community is dwindling, yes, but Twin Peaks in particular can still be enjoyable.
    Probably best filed under "other."

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited January 2008
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Since I play it and didn't see it on the list..

infantry.station.sony.com

is free again.
    Community is dwindling, yes, but Twin Peaks in particular can still be enjoyable.
    Probably best filed under "other."
    Added, thanks. :) Site doesn't really work in firefox, though. Damn you SOE

Aldo on
  • MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Has anyone here played Archlord? My friends want me to play it with them but I don't really see what sets it apart from other grindy korean mmo's.

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I tried out Shaiya, from Aeria games (project torque, lost chaos, dream of mirror).

It was SilkRoad without the fun or merchants.

First quest: Go kill five monkeys that have been stealing from the town NPC merchants.

Second quest: Congratulations on killing the monkeys, now go back outside and take on a more cunning enemy...foxes.

*uninstall*

citizen059 on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not much, it's a typical korean grinder.

holic.netgame.com You can add this one to the list, it's an extremely pretty little asian mmo. Typical grinder, gives you lots of skills early on (in comparison to other korean mmos atleast). At level 10 you can gain a second starter class which you can switch freely on the go. You can also change your main class if you want. There's a combo system I don't fully understand that requires party cooperation. Every time you use a skill, a color associated with the skill appears on the screen. Apparently if everyone uses skills of every color, some mega-attack will occur. There's also quests that keep you occupied. Also, it doesn't seem like you have to sell your soul to the game to get little nifty things like ostrich mounts, robot pets, and goofy costume pieces. Did I mention it's pretty? Now for the crap...

Lack of info about the game on the mainsite and game itself. Extremely poor player support. The chat system is broken (to use shout/trade/yell channel, you have to wait 10 seconds after you or someone else says something. As a result everyone is counting down and fighting just to chat. It's made worse that gold spammers have characters autoyell their advertisements exactly every 10 seconds, making the channels useless). Tons of badly translated text (engrish) with vague quest descriptions. Broken text display. Pretty big bugs that haven't been fixed yet, like sit healing not going off.

All in all I think it would have the potential to be a pretty fun time waster, but my prediction is that the devs/producers wont give a shit to fix it and it'll remain crap forever. What a waste

Edit: I tried out Shaiya too, and I was suprised at how much they ripped off Lineage 2's graphics. I honestly think that the art team were just handed copies of L2, and told to make the game look as close to that as they can without getting sued.

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, that's another game going on the list of: "once I'm done with other games I'll give it a try"

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    I've played Dream of Mirror Online for a few hours, made it to level 10, when I could pick classes. Wasted some time doing FedEx missions to gain access to 4 classes. I switched to Swordsman with as secondary class the healer.

The game looks very pretty and the quests are presented in a cute way, but still, it's the same old and the combat does not look appealing enough to continue playing.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    Added Ballerium, which looks like MMOWarcraft3.

I uninstalled Dream of Mirror Online, it is very slow and there is very little going on. It looks really cute and it is very nice that you can really make your own character by combining skills from different classes (kinda like the FF MMO). Just...it takes over an hour to gain one level which brings you .1% closer to your goal. zzz

I installed Perfect World instead and so far I'm liking it. It looks awesome, combat looks pretty, it is fast. Quests consist of the usual grinds and FedEx deliveries, but sometimes you get something different like trying to jump to the top of a large building within 5 minutes to collect a treasure. It's like you're walking on the moon, which is fun. At lev30 you learn how to fly, I picked a human so I will get a flying sword, the beasts get a flying fish and the elves get stronger wings (they start out with wings but can only fly for about a minute before they run out of mana).

The character creator is really elaborate, more elaborate than that of Oblivion and ..unlike Oblivion.. characters dont look like they miss a chromosome. I'll create a topic if I still like it in a few days.

Aldo on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm thinking of trying Ballerium, not only because it's a neat concept, but also because the website is clear and understandable.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited February 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I'm thinking of trying Ballerium, not only because it's a neat concept, but also because the website is clear and understandable.
    That fact alone makes a big difference, indeed. If you want to raise awareness you should make a thread (in G+T if you're smart) or something.

Aldo on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Re: Ballerium, I noticed some of the info talking about paid accounts getting certain perks.

I wonder how much that brings to the table in terms of balance?

I'm terrible at RTS games, but I'm so, so tempted to play this just from the site.

citizen059 on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CABAL Online just opened up to American users with open beta.

maraxus94 on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh shit, really? I've wanted to play it for ages.

Holic Online is surprisingly good if you take into consideration what it is (a very standard Korean grind fest). Excellent character models, I dare say I wouldn't mind seeing them in a commercial MMORPG. The environments are pretty bland, and enemy designs aren't anything special, but it's good to burn a few hours on.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2008
    Oy noted!

Once I have some time off I'll start a proper Perfect World thread, I've got two friends playing with me on the Delphi server and we're all appreciating what we see. I should look into starting a guild, but I think you need a rare item for that. D: If anyone else is playing, use the mailbox to send a message to Aldah. Or see if I'm online and toss me on your friendslist.

Aldo on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does perfect world still have that skill delay crap?

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited February 2008
    I'm playing Warrior and yes, skills aren't launched the moment you hit the button. It's the only annoyance I have with the game right now.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    Has anyone tried out World of Kung Fu yet?

citizen059 on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm playing Warrior and yes, skills aren't launched the moment you hit the button. It's the only annoyance I have with the game right now.

The grind is insane though.

Even if I was able to make Master Asia..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2008

Okay. Hmm. I'm lev ~13, been playing since last weekend. I've been leveling through quests, but I suppose those will dry up later. Really, the game is smooth, looks fantastic, allows for fully customizable characters, delivers quests that differ from the usual "get 10 troll nostrils" or "deliver this package to that dude over there" and when it does have grind quests every mob will have your quest item. On top of that it has all the functions we expect out of MMOs, I saw an auction house, people can start minishops, there's guilds, awarding pvp combat (you get to own lands with your guild), communicating with others is easy, there are no goldsellers spamming all channels and quests are easy to spot and lead you to areas that are good for your level.

What more do you want for 0$?

Aldo on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm surprised I didn't see this one(I might have missed it, but I even used Ctrl+F) , but Kingdom of Loathing?

It's free to play, although you do get various rewards for donations in multiples of 10 dollars, including some interesting monthly ones, but these can all be bought on the player market with in game money, but at obviously high prices. More importantly however, the game has a lot of fun and even obscure references (Some are even in image file names) and parodies abound. Notable jokes are the Palindome, (An area based entirely on palindromes) the Fraternity Orc vs. Hippy War, and the Emo Squid.

Seriously, did I somehow miss this one? It seems like it would be up there.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited February 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I'm surprised I didn't see this one(I might have missed it, but I even used Ctrl+F) , but Kingdom of Loathing?

It's free to play, although you do get various rewards for donations in multiples of 10 dollars, including some interesting monthly ones, but these can all be bought on the player market with in game money, but at obviously high prices. More importantly however, the game has a lot of fun and even obscure references (Some are even in image file names) and parodies abound. Notable jokes are the Palindome, (An area based entirely on palindromes) the Fraternity Orc vs. Hippy War, and the Emo Squid.

Seriously, did I somehow miss this one? It seems like it would be up there.
    You'll also notice that I am not listing things like Gaia Online and Neopets. I don't really consider them games as much as a place for people to bum around for a while. They can be enjoyable and you're doing non-serious things in an online environment, though.

It's also a lot of work to put all those sites up there, there's so many and I don't care about any of them. I don't know for sure, but it does not sound like something people looking up this thread are looking for.

Aldo on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This alone makes me want to play this game.
    002-11.jpg

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay. Hmm. I'm lev ~13, been playing since last weekend. I've been leveling through quests, but I suppose those will dry up later.
    Supposedly you can quest up to level 80. I think you'll move on to other things before hitting that.

Glal on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The control scheme is HORRIBLE. I can't stand that MMOs do not put more effort into the standardizing the control schemes.

WoW has spoiled me.. damnit.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
This discussion has been closed.