As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Armor 2.0: Stats All, Folks! Shadowkeep Drops Oct. 1

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    We got through the entirety of D1 without instant summon sparrows, I don't know how we all collectively decided it was a requirement after it became a perk

That's not to say I don't consider it a requirement. I just don't know how we got there

The answer is be just so far and away better than every other possible Sparrow perk. To the point where to justify most of those other perks I have to construct really weird and/or elaborate scenarios about why I'd want it more than instant summon and that only applies in those really weird circumstances.

The case for Instant Summon is "You summon your sparrow."

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I want Traction for the extra turn speed, my sensitivity is already set above average and if I set it up further I’ll have issues aiming.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    We got through the entirety of D1 without instant summon sparrows, I don't know how we all collectively decided it was a requirement after it became a perk

That's not to say I don't consider it a requirement. I just don't know how we got there

The answer is be just so far and away better than every other possible Sparrow perk. To the point where to justify most of those other perks I have to construct really weird and/or elaborate scenarios about why I'd want it more than instant summon and that only applies in those really weird circumstances.

Theoretically this problem is solved by completely removing Instant Summon too, but no one seems to suggest that

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Were instant summon just how sparrows worked in Destiny 1? Its been so long and I dont remember.

Both Traction and Instant Summon shouldnt be perks though and should just be how the stuff work by default.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Because people... Like Instant Summon?

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Were instant summon just how sparrows worked in Destiny 1? Its been so long and I dont remember.

Nope.

I generally want instant summon because it lets me be like, half a second lazier than normal. It's not a deal breaker by any means though. More perks that give an effect people would care about is probably a better solution.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Ah it’s like poetry; watching my Guardian’s body fall lifeless while the Shadowshot arrow I got off goes through the opponent to clinch the Survival match.

• Options

Both Traction and Instant Summon shouldnt be perks though and should just be how the stuff work by default.

Nope, summoning a sparrow in D1 worked like not having the perk in D2

Right, we do, but that isn't the reason that Quip cited, which is what I was responding to. If Instant Summon never existed, I don't think ANYONE would even think to ask for it; no one did in D1.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    But that's kinda pointless, it exists. In Destiny 1 I always assumed the wind up time was actually needed for them to start loading the Sparrow in. Now in Destiny 2 and knowing the summon time is artificial just makes it seem insulting. With all the wait times and loading screens in destiny, then adding additional, manufactured seems silly.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's one of those things where you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Now that people have experienced instasummon, they're not going to want to go back to slow summon. Much like flying in WoW.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm glad I have not experienced instasummon and can continue to live happily.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I guess I'm glad I have not experienced instasummon and can continue to live happily.

Ignorance is bliss. I have tasted from the tree of insta summon and I can't go back YOU CAN"T MAKE ME!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think my ultimate point is we're positioning what is ultimately a QoL change that we lived without happily for 3 years as an absolute requirement, which is really rather farcical when you stop to think about it.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've used sparrows without insta-summon and yeah, it's perfectly fine, you're holding X for like a second at most.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Theoretically this problem is solved by completely removing Instant Summon too, but no one seems to suggest that

Yes. Absolutely. Either make it the way every sparrow works or get rid of it because there's no point in any other perk as long as it exists in the pool.

• Options
    I think my ultimate point is we're positioning what is ultimately a QoL change that we lived without happily for 3 years as an absolute requirement, which is really rather farcical when you stop to think about it.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose. When there's clearly a better way of doing things, it just confuses me. Like the complete pointlessness of the collections, and the like. Like, I've lived happily without Trials, too, doesn't mean I wouldn't like it back. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but that makes it seem even easier for them to acquiesce.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Color me awful but I hate Traction and basically refuse to ever use it, either in old armor or new. It just feels off to me, and therefore it staya unequipped. I wouldn't want it default, and making it a perk makes it a choice, which means you get what you want and I get what I want and we both win.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    In D1 I/the community at large thought the sparrow summon thing was just the time needed to summon a sparrow, like it had to be that slow for code reasons or shit would break or something. Now that it’s possible to just do it instantly, why not just have everything do that and show it off as an improvement over D1?

Borderlands 3 does something similar, where if you fast travel to a fast-travel beacon on the same map area, it plays a little 8-10 second long “digital tunnel” travel screen. And that makes sense, because it’s having to load the new spot you’re about to be in, right?

Except it isn’t that, because if you warp to Vehicle, you’re just instantly (like .5 seconds) there, no loading or anything. It’s possible for them to do that, they just chose not to for......reasons.

• Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    tvot7i8wg9jx.jpg

7n0x14n70t54.jpg

Vault of Grass down on PC.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I asked for a hand in chat unlocking the BA forges to get a hammerhead (because i annoyingly have 3 quests that gave me machine guns but the only one that didn't require already using a machine gun was basically dead matchmaking) and after we figured out what was going on got through it pretty quick and then did it again because one of the teammates was on an earlier step of the quest so now 2 people have hammerheads and oh my god this gun is fun to use. I'm sad that it is likely not content I can easily do by myself now though because the aesthetics are dope on all of these. hopefully people filter into the matchmaking queues over time as the crowd spreads out into the new world order of the game.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don’t like how infusing armor into the same armor can’t be done for 1K glimmer anymore

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    you can though? i don't remember the exact cost but at least it's not a whole upgrade thingy.

what i'm really disappointed by is that infusing exotics into legendaries no longer saves you materials. it was like one of the only reasons getting duplicate exotics was nice.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Adus wrote: »
    you can though? i don't remember the exact cost but at least it's not a whole upgrade thingy.

what i'm really disappointed by is that infusing exotics into legendaries no longer saves you materials. it was like one of the only reasons getting duplicate exotics was nice.

I figured out what was happening with the armor I was trying to infuse.
    • ⁠Season Pass drop to Season Pass drop = Glimmer
    • ⁠World drop to World drop = Glimmer
    • ⁠Season Pass drop to World drop (or vice versa) = Upgrade Material

Totally unnecessary confusion. Just make it glimmer.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Finally got to like 905. So I guess this is where the real grind starts, huh?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    i can't ever watch those videos because like, people good at crucible can make any weapon look good and i can never replicate it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Nope, summoning a sparrow in D1 worked like not having the perk in D2

Right, we do, but that isn't the reason that Quip cited, which is what I was responding to. If Instant Summon never existed, I don't think ANYONE would even think to ask for it; no one did in D1.

Your inventory could still take like a minute to open, but then you play PC and you go "Oh... consoles are just bad, huh?" It's the exact same thing as sprint. There was a sprint delay in D1 and then they added that artifact that removed it. "Oh... this was stupid the whole time" everyone INCLUDING Bungie, thought. And so D2 tossed it. For traction and sparrows, Bungie is still living in la la land.

I'd also be okay with Guiding Light being the default gain rate and more interesting Ghost perks like treasure finding being the norm. Because the non-Guiding Light rate is just a flat penalty. Why would you subject yourself to it, ever? (The pre-order Ghost this time is straight up pay to win, holy crap. Guilding Light + find chests EVERYWHERE + some Moon specific thing, who cares. I don't think there's a better Ghost in the game.)

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    agreed about the preorder shell, shits nuts.

Which sucks cause I would have liked to use the lunar lander one

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    broke down and bought my second copy of shadowkeep today lmao

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    also I'm now ~946 gear level and 954 total power and am not looking forward to this business where it's actually impossible to hit 960 gear this season, i hope they address that or respond to it at some point in the next week cause it seems...baffling if correct

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So my question now is. Those catalyst xp boosts, do they apply to things like the whisper/outbreak catalysts?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    ...woah, Warmind's campaign is super short, huh?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    ...woah, Warmind's campaign is super short, huh?

Yeah, Curse and Warmind (and Shadowkeep) aren't the big "Comet" releases like TTK or Forsaken, they're smaller expansions.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    @initiatefailure since you asked in Discord but it's easier to type it all here:

Black Armory
    Ok, there are two levels of guns and a few other things going on here. This is all presuming it works the same as Y2, just minus the powerful rewards. Which is the case afaik.

The 1st row is bounties, 5 dailies that give Modulus Reports and 2 weeklies that give Ballistics Logs. Modulus Reports are more common and stack to like 15. They also drop from forge completions. Ballistics logs stack to 2 and you can only earn 2 per week. You can carry either of these from one week to the next though.

The 2nd row is the BA weapons. You use a Ballistics Log to unlock a frame and make that weapon the first time that week. You can only unlock 2 frames per week. After you've unlocked a frame you can repeat it as many times as you want that week by paying Modulus Reports to buy more frames.

The 3rd row is Augmented Weapons. These are just normal weapon drops from their respective activities but they come with an extra choice in the first perk slot. (eg - a normal gun might drop Outlaw/Rampage, an augmented gun would drop with a choice of outlaw or rapid-hit in the first perk and then just rampage in the second) These cost Modulus Reports and are mostly just a way to get some extra weapons while dumping excess modulus reports. It's just a bounty basically. Do the thing it says, then you complete any forge run and the bounty completes and you can click it to get your gun. The gun will be from the type of activity the bounty is related to. (ie - Crucible weapon from the crucible bounty, vanguard weapon from the strike bounty, etc, etc)

There is actually a 4th row on the second page. It has a smattering of random but important things. Some of them cost Black Armory schematics, which you get from dismantling BA gear (weapons and armour).
    - You can buy Mod components directly if you want them.
    - You can buy Black Armory mods, which you should. They are special weapon mods that only come from Ada-1 and there's some really good ones. They increase in price with every purchase and that resets daily, so it's better to buy like 1 or 2 a day, every day, till you unlock them all.
    - You can buy a Forge Polymer, which you then use to apply a buff to yourself. This will cause a random piece of BA armour to drop upon your next forge completion. This is the main way you farm BA armour.
    - You can buy Obsidian Radiance. You will get Obsidian Accelerators as a random drop from a successful forge completion. You can only carry one at a time. Go to Ada-1 and you can exchange them for an Obsidian Radiance. This is a special extra mod that can apply to any BA weapon on top of the normal mod. Applying it to a weapon gives it a crazy glow and makes it do 5% extra damage inside a Forge.

Anyway, the basic flow here is you do your daily bounties to get modulus reports and do your 2 weekly bounties to get ballistics logs.
    Unlock some BA frames for the week using your ballistics logs. Forge them to get the weapon.
    If you want to keep forging more of that weapon, buy more frames with modulus reports.
    Spend any excess modulus reports you get on augmented weapon frames if you want.
    Buy some BA mods, they are very good.

shryke on
  • Options
    ronzo wrote: »
    In D1 I/the community at large thought the sparrow summon thing was just the time needed to summon a sparrow, like it had to be that slow for code reasons or shit would break or something. Now that it’s possible to just do it instantly, why not just have everything do that and show it off as an improvement over D1?

Borderlands 3 does something similar, where if you fast travel to a fast-travel beacon on the same map area, it plays a little 8-10 second long “digital tunnel” travel screen. And that makes sense, because it’s having to load the new spot you’re about to be in, right?

Except it isn’t that, because if you warp to Vehicle, you’re just instantly (like .5 seconds) there, no loading or anything. It’s possible for them to do that, they just chose not to for......reasons.

I mean, it's an immersion thing I guess. And also makes you think about using the sparrow more and if you really need to summon it this time. Instant summon definitely changes how you move around the map and how willing you are to just pop a sparrow to go 5 feet slightly faster or to literally abandon sparrows mid jump and just summon another.

If instant summon never existed I think everyone would have been fine with the timer. But they let us sup from the table of the sparrow gods and now anything else tastes of ashes.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Croaker wrote: »
    Grats. We got thumped last night on console on the end boss, but only put 45 minutes in because of lateness.

We're also bad lol.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I asked for a hand in chat unlocking the BA forges to get a hammerhead (because i annoyingly have 3 quests that gave me machine guns but the only one that didn't require already using a machine gun was basically dead matchmaking) and after we figured out what was going on got through it pretty quick and then did it again because one of the teammates was on an earlier step of the quest so now 2 people have hammerheads and oh my god this gun is fun to use. I'm sad that it is likely not content I can easily do by myself now though because the aesthetics are dope on all of these. hopefully people filter into the matchmaking queues over time as the crowd spreads out into the new world order of the game.

If you ever see me online I'm down for forges.

They're fun, but you definitely need folks who can do more than fog a mirror.

I just made it to 910 after starting with New Light and hammerhead was also my first forge.

I then did the pulse rifle. Which I can recommend. Working on the bow now. Then I'll probably do the AR.

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Croaker wrote: »
    Grats. We got thumped last night on console on the end boss, but only put 45 minutes in because of lateness.

We're also bad lol.

I have some real feelings and opinions on some of the mechanics.

It feels like the only way they know how to make encounters difficult is to have really narrow margins for error on execution.

I thought the tether mechanic was cool in the first encounter, and was built upon nicely in the second one. It has no place in the last. I'd trade minotaurs spawning with the goblins for the fucking platform rebuilding. The tether is just too sticky. If your build team isn't coordinated, or your mote teams don't have their heads on a swivel looking for the build team rebuilding, you can very easily cause a death chain.

And don't get me started on the math for add spawns on the islands, where if you get two goblin waves and a mote exhibits adrenaline junky habits and dives off a cliff, you might as well just wipe it there because a third invade will probably spill over into damage phase and you won't get to DPS long enough.

I really want to like Vault of Grass but man, there's just a lot working against it with the mechanics and their execution/implementation.

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Some SGA from the subreddit: https://destinysets.com/mods

Preliminary, but seems to work quite well for now. Turns out I'm missing less mods than I thought!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    they need to fix the item descriptions

my old sunbracers still have the same description - "solar grenades last longer. gain grenade energy on melee kill"

reader, this is not what they do. you get INFINITE GRENADES for 5 seconds on killing an enemy with your solar melee ability

its quite badical actually because i get melee energy on dealing damage with a grenade

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png