As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I barely see any way of gaining focus on my defect runs

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I played StS over the weekend when our internet died. 4 Runs with the silent and only the last one didn’t die to the first elite or just after.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I played StS over the weekend when our internet died. 4 Runs with the silent and only the last one didn’t die to the first elite or just after.

The silent certainly doesn't seem to as easy a time with elites as the ironclad does. For the ironclad, I could just pick up 2 strong attacks in the first few fights and that would be good enough to carry me through the first elites and the starting relic would mean that I could heal up between them without resting.

For the silent, I'll end up picking up something like deadly poison or poisoned stab and that's not quite enough oomph to get through all those elite HPs.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

So, describe what you were doing and drafted before those elites. That helps explain a little more what's going on here.

Sounds like you're taking a lot of punishing hallway fights or events that sap your hp before the elites?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Oops, not the Silent, but the Defect. And yeah, I'm trying the usual stuff (grab 2-3 good damage cards), but some bad RNG and poor decisions railroaded me each time. Sure, I'll reach into the spiky goo a 4th time or maybe I'll take that fight before the Elite and get wrecked by a Jaw Worm/Slime combo.

Look StS, it's not you, it's me.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Seems like maybe you're taking too many damage cards and not enough defensive ones or bloating the deck early so you can't reliably draw what you need at a given time?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The dream

Wfpyjy5.jpg?1

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I had a crazy Silent run where I had just the thing to dismantle each floor's boss. A 5 energy Malaise on turn 2 against the Guardian. The Paper Crane and Leg Sweep+ against the Bronze Automaton. Corpse Explosion against Donu and Deca. I took a collected 9 damage from the three fights. Fun stuff.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kinda sad I beefed it one turn before stomping Time Eater on this run. Molten Egg, Magic Herb, Singing Bowl, Black Blood, and the event for Bites; upgraded Bites healing 5 HP a shot, and 15 HP heal between battles, plus some decently inflated max HP. Shame.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Oops, not the Silent, but the Defect. And yeah, I'm trying the usual stuff (grab 2-3 good damage cards), but some bad RNG and poor decisions railroaded me each time. Sure, I'll reach into the spiky goo a 4th time or maybe I'll take that fight before the Elite and get wrecked by a Jaw Worm/Slime combo.

Look StS, it's not you, it's me.

A good trick with defect is to grab an early defence common or uncommon. Charger battery or the one that makes you retain your have are great. Defects starter deck is heavily warped by zap and dual cast, so an extra defense card goes several miles

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Finally beat A19 with my Ironclad.

I had lots of attempts with really awesome combinations that ultimately didn't work. Eventually made it through using that 0 cost card that makes a dazed, and that card that draws 2 cards when a status card turns up. It was a weird combo, but it gave me a high draw to start with. Then I got Dead Branch and Corruption (and stacked my deck with skills and used the mirror to duplicate Corruption) and everything was in place.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    It does not do damage on the first use for Path to Victory

Alright, that's just sad then. Not really sure what Megacrit guys are thinking with these two cards at all.
    And Flow State has been removed

:x

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Loving the new character, I've actually managed to make it past ascension 2 for once and have two heart kills! Which is more than any other character. Hmmm, maybe new character is OP... Or just has really good synergy with a lot of relics and her cards.

Her deck feels really flexible. WIth the other characters, I feel like by the end of the first floor I basically have to have a deck in mind based on the cards I grabbed and the relics I got, or else I'm fucked. Also I can still be fucked anyway since some decks require certain cards or relics that will just never show up for me.

With the new character, I feel like I have until about halfway through floor 2 to figure out what deck I'll be using.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Wow, Neow giving you Biased Cognition at the start just kinda takes care of Act 1 doesn't it.

McHoger wrote: »
    Wow, Neow giving you Biased Cognition at the start just kinda takes care of Act 1 doesn't it.

Almost the entire run since you have something so powerful to readily build around (Orange Pellets, Arrifacts, etc) from the start.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I bottled a omniscience+, had another one in my deck, and then upgraded an alpha while having 4 energy.

Then I got frowny, because the omega doesn't get added into your deck in between the first cast of omniscience and the second.

I SOMEHOW managed to pull out a win anyway. But I really wanted to get that guaranteed first turn 100 AOE damage combo.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    All the counting relics just seem fucking broken with either Flurry of Blows or Weave being commons, for Watcher

Nunchaku, Pen Nib, Ink Bottle? All stupid. (also Yang and Talk to the Hand)

Shuriken and Kunai, less so but still amazing.

Even the Fan is pretty strong

Like, this seems stronger than Weave, because stance dancing gives you draw (empty mind) and energy from exiting calm and block (mind fortress). To do a million attacks a turn with Scry you still need to spend energy to draw cards. But with stances you don't

And the cards are all common or uncommon, too

Burtletoy on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Some crazy new potions on the beta branch! Including all your scaling needs, just ingest this cultist in a can

edited October 2019
    Some crazy new potions on the beta branch! Including all your scaling needs, just ingest this cultist in a can

The chaos one seems strong. And the two plays of a card in the discard pile

Burtletoy on

poor sozu getting hit with the stick

Got a list of all the new stuff? Can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Naphtali wrote: »

poor sozu getting hit with the stick

I mean, i like this a lot frankly - Boss relics should be a CHOICE. More stuff that makes taking Sozu painful? That's a freaking great thing for the game, in my books. Honestly, the boss relic choices are making me so happy now - i think the only one i dislike right now is Slaver's Chain. (It's just kinda weak, and i dont find it's choice that interesting). Well, that and ectoplasm. Stoopid ectoplasm.

Very interested to see what this week's patches bring to Watcher - it feels like she's started to hit the point where power needs to be trimmed rather than added. She's in a much healthier place now.

@MNC Dover Here's the most recent Character udpate post, and here's today's patch notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/3032537193883694357
    https://old.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/dhugcw/beta_patch_notes_10142019/

The new potions are

Cultist Potion - Rare Potion (ALL)

Gain 1 Ritual. (New keyword: Gain X Strength at the end of your turn)

Distilled Chaos - Uncommon Potion (ALL)

Play the top 3 cards of your draw pile.

Liquid Memories - Uncommon Potion (ALL)

Choose a card in your discard pile and return it to your hand. It costs 0 this turn.

Awesome, thanks!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    TZP at least none of those are Runic Cube

... Huh. I forgot cube existed. It and Mark of pain could use a look for sure. MoPc just needs to put the wounds in your discard pile and it'd be pickable with an interesting downside. Honestly, cube probably just needs a slight buff? Draw 2 when you take damage might be too good, or better if it got moved to rare

Actually, there's a thought - swap magic flower and cube. Cube would be an exciting rare relic that offered some real power. Flower as boss relic means getting to build strategies around it more often, which helps open up Clad's self harm approach. Only risk is then it's very similar to black bloods niche.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding out hope that Prism gets some changes. My dream change to prism would be it's an act 1 event that's themed around choosing cards from other classes. Prism would be the big risk/reward option, and ideally it gets buffed to something like +1 card choice per fight, +1 card drawn per turn (probably way to good, but this is spitballing making it attractive and powerful). Something that just encourages getting crazy, weird runs of the spire

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

... Huh. I forgot cube existed. It and Mark of pain could use a look for sure. MoPc just needs to put the wounds in your discard pile and it'd be pickable with an interesting downside. Honestly, cube probably just needs a slight buff? Draw 2 when you take damage might be too good, or better if it got moved to rare

Actually, there's a thought - swap magic flower and cube. Cube would be an exciting rare relic that offered some real power. Flower as boss relic means getting to build strategies around it more often, which helps open up Clad's self harm approach. Only risk is then it's very similar to black bloods niche.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding out hope that Prism gets some changes. My dream change to prism would be it's an act 1 event that's themed around choosing cards from other classes. Prism would be the big risk/reward option, and ideally it gets buffed to something like +1 card choice per fight, +1 card drawn per turn (probably way to good, but this is spitballing making it attractive and powerful). Something that just encourages getting crazy, weird runs of the spire

Take out the card draw and make it so that each of the 4 card choices comes from a different character, so you’ll always have one Ironclad, one Silent, one Defect, and one Watcher card to choose from

If you get the relic that adds a card choice after that it will always be colorless

Makes it a bit less unpredictable but still has the potential to make ridiculous multicolored decks

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Slavers Collar is now my favorite energy relic.

With Violent Lotus in second.

edited October 2019
    Mark of Pain where 1 goes to pile, 1 to discard might be better. Two to discard seems too good, especially if you can win off a deck before you reshuffle (hallway fights, longer ones probably not). The downside becomes negligible in that case.

Naphtali on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Playing an ironclad with a very slim deck that's basically just strength increases, an immolate and a couple of head butts to get those cards back and play them again and it's chewing through bad guys very quickly. A few 10+ block cards and an entrench and I can shrug off most hits. I'm rarely seeing any cards I want to add as well, so maybe if I catch a barricade I'll make an exception but probably not.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    watch out for burns! take an evolve if you can

sig.gif
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like I'd be nervous with playing Immolate multiple times on a really thin deck. Especially for boss fights, where they won't just die in a couple casts of it. Let us know how it goes!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    With a bunch of strength increases, taking a sword boomerang, heavy blade, or pummel is always smart!

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Calling Bell can be fun, if the stars align just right.
    2tgvzfingax0.png

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Time twister did me in. Picked up a sword boomerang and yep that was a great call. Just didn't have enough block to stop the hits from chipping away my health every round. The time twister guy is definitely my least favourite Act 3 boss.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I am finding him to be a consistent pain in my ass for A20 Watcher.

sig.gif
    I am finding him to be a consistent pain in my ass for A20 Watcher.

Never... Liked... You..

(Fun to make him explode with a wrathful fasting Ragnarok though)

My one complaint about the game is that there are bosses specifically designed as hard counters to deck types. Been playing with shivs or zero cost cards + All For One? Meet Time Eater, the boss that was designed specifically to end your run in a humiliating way!

They could make it so you have no choice about your Act I or II boss, but Act III you could route to two different bosses depending on the deck type you’ve assembled over two whole acts. Or at least let you see the maps for all three acts at the start of the game so you can plan for it.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    My one complaint about the game is that there are bosses specifically designed as hard counters to deck types. Been playing with shivs or zero cost cards + All For One? Meet Time Eater, the boss that was designed specifically to end your run in a humiliating way!

It's my favorite part of the A20 mod (fight two Act 3 bosses in a row). You basically have to prep for all three bosses, so you can't just go all in and try to gamble you won't get the one boss that wrecks your deck.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Well you can go so hard with the card draw you hit 12 cards played almosy every turn and dictate when he resets.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig