As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Call went well but it was definitely a couple rungs too many up from where my experience is, since it would be leading people at multiple resorts, but I at least have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Lately I've been getting burned out with the amount of overtime I've been having to do. Unpaid of course.

Today my colleague and I were working on the same set of drawings and correcting them together that our intern originally did and I asked his opinion. Colleague jokingly heavily dissed them because as a placeholder I'd made part of it look awful while I corrected another section, which was funny except intern (who importantly couldn't see what was on my screen) decided that it was about what she had done and loudly 'called us out' in front of everyone in the office. We were stunned they would be so offended especially not being able to see what we were working on and all went aside to clear it up.

Intern realised their mistake by interpreting that badly but that now doesn't change the fact that their jumping to conclusions loudly in front of the whole office made us look like terrible people who were dissing their work when it was a joke between two friendly colleagues.

This has really really bothered me.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Just tell the intern that, Liiya. If you don't communicate it, it's more likely to rankle you as time goes on and could lead to further misunderstandings. If they thought you were throwing them under the bus for no reason at all, something might be up.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was gonna suggest leaning into it. Shout "Let this be a lesson to you all!"

The mistake was cleared up in private between myself, intern, colleague and our boss where in intern apologised for misinterpreting the situation and making it about them when it was nothing to do with intern but friendly jokes betweens myself and my colleague.

But my issue is that apology wasn't in front of everyone else so now everyone else is thinking we're terrible people. And it's made me really not want to make jokes again with my colleague with intern in vicinity in case intern makes it about their self again.

I'm really burned out.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    On Monday my assistant and I were musing on how best to rearrange our sales reports. I had spoken to our POS representative and worked out how to get information on returns, but there’s no nice and easy way to separate out marijuana returns from non-marijuana returns (the difference is important for tax purposes). Right now we also have to run three different reports to get all the information we need in order to enter our daily sales data into our accounting system.

Monday night I had a shower thought on how I could use a spreadsheet and the IF function that would streamline everything and separate out the return information for us.

Tuesday morning I took those thoughts into work and made a spreadsheet and... it worked! And my assistant loved it! And it actually only took me about 20 minutes to produce and get working! It was even kind of disappointing how well it worked because it turned out to be so much more efficient that I didn’t have much work to do after that and the day dragged.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    The mistake was cleared up in private between myself, intern, colleague and our boss where in intern apologised for misinterpreting the situation and making it about them when it was nothing to do with intern but friendly jokes betweens myself and my colleague.

But my issue is that apology wasn't in front of everyone else so now everyone else is thinking we're terrible people. And it's made me really not want to make jokes again with my colleague with intern in vicinity in case intern makes it about their self again.

I'm really burned out.

Given this is an intern, I think this is a perfect time to have them learn how to admit to making mistakes. This is an important lesson, because if you aren't an intern and you pull shit like this in the wrong context then you can very well derail your career or actively harm someone else's. Like, maybe it's just me, but if someone made me look like an ass over their own misunderstanding then I would ask them to apologize to everyone or I would clarify it myself.

Sorry, but in the calculus between you taking responsibility for your own error and me losing the respect of my colleagues, I'm going to choose the former every day and twice on Sunday.

Lately I've been getting burned out with the amount of overtime I've been having to do. Unpaid of course.

Today my colleague and I were working on the same set of drawings and correcting them together that our intern originally did and I asked his opinion. Colleague jokingly heavily dissed them because as a placeholder I'd made part of it look awful while I corrected another section, which was funny except intern (who importantly couldn't see what was on my screen) decided that it was about what she had done and loudly 'called us out' in front of everyone in the office. We were stunned they would be so offended especially not being able to see what we were working on and all went aside to clear it up.

Intern realised their mistake by interpreting that badly but that now doesn't change the fact that their jumping to conclusions loudly in front of the whole office made us look like terrible people who were dissing their work when it was a joke between two friendly colleagues.

This has really really bothered me.

If you can't handle getting your work dunked on without loudly making a scene in the office you're probably not going to last long in the creative industry (I am making an assumption here). Care less intern.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think the correct response to anyone loudly mouthing off about something they misunderstood is to shove their nose in it right then and there. They want to make a scene, they get a scene.

edited October 2019

Given this is an intern, I think this is a perfect time to have them learn how to admit to making mistakes. This is an important lesson, because if you aren't an intern and you pull shit like this in the wrong context then you can very well derail your career or actively harm someone else's. Like, maybe it's just me, but if someone made me look like an ass over their own misunderstanding then I would ask them to apologize to everyone or I would clarify it myself.

Sorry, but in the calculus between you taking responsibility for your own error and me losing the respect of my colleagues, I'm going to choose the former every day and twice on Sunday.

I honestly really agree and I would want that to happen, but colleague has the point that water under the bridge is probably wise here and I'm inclined to agree for the sake of stirring up drama. But equally I do want that.
    Doodmann wrote: »

If you can't handle getting your work dunked on without loudly making a scene in the office you're probably not going to last long in the creative industry (I am making an assumption here). Care less intern.

You're absolutely right, landscape architecture can be brutal but intern has not gone via the traditional route like everyone else in the office aka three years of getting your work dunked on before you even make it to intern level. Architecture is famously brutal with tutors ripping your work up and intern has never experienced this, hence taking offense quickly - and making about their self!
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think the correct response to anyone loudly mouthing off about something they misunderstood is to shove their nose in it right then and there. They want to make a scene, they get a scene.

Gosh that would be satisfying.

Thanks guys ❤️

Liiya on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Punish the intern

From now on, tea with excessive amounts of milk!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Bagged tea that was only in the water for 5 seconds

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Punish the intern

From now on, tea with no milk!

...!

Excuse me, but I have to call the Hague.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bagged tea that was only in the water for 5 seconds

Easy there, Satan.

How are you supposed to answer the question: "how do you use data in your design efforts"

I definitely flubbed it because I think data driven branding/advertising is either bland or trend chasing but clearly she wanted to say something like "we use a combination of customer feedback and key word metrics to identify if we are most efficiently targeting or desired audience"

Which is also a non-answer. I should have just told her data based branding decisions are garbage, you're trying to tell a story not get someone to navigate a menu properly.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I honestly really agree and I would want that to happen, but colleague has the point that water under the bridge is probably wise here and I'm inclined to agree for the sake of stirring up drama. But equally I do want that.

You're absolutely right, landscape architecture can be brutal but intern has not gone via the traditional route like everyone else in the office aka three years of getting your work dunked on before you even make it to intern level. Architecture is famously brutal with tutors ripping your work up and intern has never experienced this, hence taking offense quickly - and making about their self!

Huh, I knew building architecture had a brutalist movement but I didn't know landscape architects did too. Just a bunch grey cube shaped hedges?
    ;)

steam_sig.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m sorry Liiya, that sounds like a super stressful day. It would absolutely bother me, too.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I cannot figure out this econometrics problem. Jfc.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My brain is pretty much gone today, and I still have most of the day to get through!

Janson wrote: »
    I’m sorry Liiya, that sounds like a super stressful day. It would absolutely bother me, too.

Thanks Janson, found out while all this was going down a dear relative of mine is seriously ill again. Not a good day.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I got my prescription from my doctor and it looks like I've been prescribed two different anti depressants. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take both or not.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    How are you supposed to answer the question: "how do you use data in your design efforts"

I definitely flubbed it because I think data driven branding/advertising is either bland or trend chasing but clearly she wanted to say something like "we use a combination of customer feedback and key word metrics to identify if we are most efficiently targeting or desired audience"

Which is also a non-answer. I should have just told her data based branding decisions are garbage, you're trying to tell a story not get someone to navigate a menu properly.

Errrrr, plenty of sentiment measures you can use to ensure they're hearing the right story.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I cannot figure out this econometrics problem. Jfc.

Spend less on candles.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am in a real strange place now where i really like my job, but it will literally never grow into anything else/open up any paths in the company

and that's been fucking me up for a hot second

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Anyone wanna help me determine a formula for the asymptotic variance of an estimator equal to the average of three predictions from a model?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I would love to but I have no idea what you just said

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I think it was something a steep curve and getting stock tips from Giselle Bundchen?

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    No, I suspect I would need a couple hours of study to finish wrapping my head around that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    First you take a 6-sided die

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I got my prescription from my doctor and it looks like I've been prescribed two different anti depressants. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take both or not.

Call them and ask.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    i am in a real strange place now where i really like my job, but it will literally never grow into anything else/open up any paths in the company

I'm in a roughly similar place. There aren't really any higher positions in the system I'm really interested in at this point, and I realized last week that if I just put in 40 hours a week for the next three decades I can retire, thanks to the impossibly generous 401k matching the library provides. Significantly earlier, if I define retirement as "stepping down from management to ride a reference desk somewhere for 20 hours a week."

I'm starting to get itchy about it. I'm not sure whether it's the realization that I could end up working the same job for almost as long as I've been alive, or just the fact that as an elder millennial I've done nothing but desperately hustle ever since the student loans came due and it's hard to shift out of that mental gear. Part of me always thinks that 2008 is right around the corner, and there's no way that freelancing and manual labor could keep up with my mortgage this time around.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    The departmental grad student association slack is debating what the local three minute thesis competition should be named

They've settled on the Pi Minute Presentation
    abzix2vgxa1b.png

Why are they multiplying each side by (π - 3) ???

You just wanted to show off that you knew the ASCII code for pi, admit it.

Took me a bit to remember you can say all kinds of wrong stuff when you ignore that taking the square root of something should have a ± on it after.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Anyone wanna help me determine a formula for the asymptotic variance of an estimator equal to the average of three predictions from a model?

Have you tried solving for X?

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Have you tried solving for X?

Just multiply by zero, that works every time

2x39jD4.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

Eh, not so much on the bolded.

The thing of it is, you can go off and tell the story that you want to tell but if you're not telling it to the right people in the right way then nobody is ever going to hear it. There very much needs to be a blend of data and analytics and creativity in brand design and messaging.

So example of things I want to know through data are "what similar brands does my desired target audience interact with", "what channels to they interact with them on", "how long do they usually interact with said things..." because then it's going to inform the hell out of the design. Can I be more wordy, should we lean into simple large visuals, will their desired channel support my creative vision for the brand, etc.

I agree that if you're chasing an audience too hard it can make design fugly, but if you're not utilizing every tool in the box then you'll end up talking to nobody even if it is a really good story.

Also heatmaps and eye-tracking are fucking sweeeeeeeeeet when building interactive things.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Dude(tte), I've been there. And I don't have any good answers for you.

At the start of 2009 I got a job that I liked okay. I got promoted in 2011 to a job I fucking loved, though it was my 3rd or 4th time applying for a promotion. I had that job until the very end of 2015 the pay was okay.

I still miss that job just about every single day. But I left for a couple of reasons.

1) Environment. It was an isolated-ish camp with high turnover, as camp/seasonal jobs usually are. I was in hitting my 30s and 90% of my available social circle were my coworkers, whom I supervised, that were in their early 20s and fresh out of college. I was drifting from enjoying the chief forms of recreation of that demographic, and thus isolating myself more and more when I was not working.

2) No or very limited forms upward mobility. This wasn't a knock against the company I worked for, it was just a fact of life at the time. There were already very few roles directly above me as it's not a very top-heavy place, and they were unlikely to be vacated soon since they were filled with younger people with young children who'd only been in the position a couple years and the previous tenants had held those positions for 10+ years.

3) Because of 2, there was a lot of competition and talent ready to move up when a new position was created. I did not get this particular job, but the person they gave it to was awesome and a really good choice. I wasn't mad (disappointed, but not bitter) but I could see that I was potentially going to be in the position of applying 3 or 4 times for internal positions again and getting passed over, only now the openings were going to be fewer and further between.

4) As I'd been in the same position for so long, I was starting to get a bit crusty in terms of attitude. I was slipping a little. It was becoming obvious that while I was still doing a good job, I was no longer doing a great job. Part of this was related to 1 though. I was still trying new things and maintaining a good performance level and taking on big projects, but I'd plateaued and it was becoming obvious I'd grown as much as I was going to in that position.

4a) My immediate supervisor and her supervisor had had informal chats with me about this too, and wondering what my plans for the future were. I didn't have any, but it did prompt me do some thinking. I left about a year later.

5) There was a girl and she moved and that was a mistake in the end. Probably doesn't apply to you.

6) My family is getting older and living half the country away from them meant I was missing a lot.

So your feelings are valid. I wish I could give you some solid and concrete advice, but it's a tough position to be in. Talk with your supervisors and management and share your feelings. See if they can help you grow more or add skills. But first you've got to have some hard conversations with yourself in regards to goals and where you want to be with your career and life, as that will help guide the conversations with your higher-ups. I skipped that part and just decided to leave and put in my 2 months notice and started looking for a job. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.

And I still miss that damn job every day, but I know leaving was the right thing to do for me at the time. I should have just left with a better plan.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    And here I am, in a job I like well enough that I just plan on staying in until I retire. I make decent money, but there is no movement here- I could theoretically move one notch up, but really, only one person per department gets that title, and no one leaves. I make more money than I ever have in my career, and I get very nice benefits, so I'm content.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I keep getting scheduled for coachings at night so I can't try to get off of work early. It sucks. My coach also does like 3 coachings a week which feels excessive and unnecessary.
    Stragint wrote: »

Call them and ask.

I did, they were out to lunch. I called the pharmacy, pharmacist said it is totally fine to take them together.

I am kind of not happy about some of these side effects though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    I would love to but I have no idea what you just said

Me either

thequint%2F2016-02%2F27783a04-226a-4281-9b9a-8320a52248eb%2Ftumblr_lga9c8hn3R1qd96bco1_500.gif

DrZiplock wrote: »

Eh, not so much on the bolded.

The thing of it is, you can go off and tell the story that you want to tell but if you're not telling it to the right people in the right way then nobody is ever going to hear it. There very much needs to be a blend of data and analytics and creativity in brand design and messaging.

So example of things I want to know through data are "what similar brands does my desired target audience interact with", "what channels to they interact with them on", "how long do they usually interact with said things..." because then it's going to inform the hell out of the design. Can I be more wordy, should we lean into simple large visuals, will their desired channel support my creative vision for the brand, etc.

I agree that if you're chasing an audience too hard it can make design fugly, but if you're not utilizing every tool in the box then you'll end up talking to nobody even if it is a really good story.

Also heatmaps and eye-tracking are fucking sweeeeeeeeeet when building interactive things.

I mean, you're talking about basic design research just from a different angle.

What is my competition doing and where are they beating us, is pretty standard design/marketing process. How granular you get with the numbers on those things is where I start to roll my eyes.

I agree with you on the heatmapping stuff but that's more for UI stuff not broad brand story stuff.

So, thank you for answering my question. :razz:

This discussion has been closed.