As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

1454647484951»

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    So what is the issue with doing endgame stuff before versus after the ending?

Does stuff get locked out after the ending?

I don’t understand the issue.

Narrative. If there's a post game story that's one thing. But otherwise there is no reason to put it afterwards. It's the same amount of content either way. Some people are playing the games for the narrative and going back in after the adventure is over, especially in cases where the characters continuing to go out fighting stuff together doesn't make any sense or requires time travel(like going back before the end boss save point for post game), just doesn't make any sense and thus isn't going to get played by those people. If it's available beforehand as well then both groups get to enjoy the content and there is no downside or anyone losing out.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    So there is stuff that's only available after the ending, and there's nothing that get locked out after the ending?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Viskod wrote: »
    So there is stuff that's only available after the ending, and there's nothing that get locked out after the ending?

In NNK2? Yes that would be correct. Minor spoilers under here. No explanations but could be taken as a spoiler for some people.
    Nothing gets locked out because the post-game takes place before beating last boss.... but you still have to beat the last boss before unlocking it. Which should totally be available for those that want to play that way but is completely pointless to actually lock that content in such a manner. Just frustratingly dumb and pointless.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/the-art-of-ni-no-kuni-2-1825485221

Some very lovely watercolor concept art from NNK2.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Three of those are shown over the credits. There are some really really good ones shown otherwise too. I finally pushed through to the end game last night.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    At 20 hours in. Got the boat and now the game feels like 'Lost Odyssey'.
    I mean... like LO, they give you a cool vehicle, and then there's barely anywhere really that interesting to go explore with it (AFAIK).
    ev8E4FE.jpg

Still really having fun with it though, I dropped XBC2 to devote my time to finishing this instead. :)

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Just 100%ed it on PC. The final postgame grind wasn't nearly as bad I was expecting and done in about 62 hours. That said, I didn't do the postgame outfits because the materials are super rare, though it would only be another hour or couple.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Speaking of outfits, I know there's one near Auntie Martha's cottage in the starting area of the world map, but it's in a locked chest.

I just started chapter 6, when will I start getting keys for locked chests? Or are they just level/chapter locked?

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Speaking of outfits, I know there's one near Auntie Martha's cottage in the starting area of the world map, but it's in a locked chest.

I just started chapter 6, when will I start getting keys for locked chests? Or are they just level/chapter locked?

You have to level up your magic building and learn the spell there.

• Options
    Ah. Turns out I was a little incorrect anyhow.
    The outfit is in a different, unlocked chest on top of a cliff very close to the cottage, but you can only reach it with the airship.

Finally making some more progress and beat chapter six. I was stuck on
    some of those puzzles in the factory for a loong time, and then that last section of the fight against Bastion had that really annoying disappearing platform section to reach up and stab it's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAubQ3PMqwQ

But now I have an airship, so the game got cool and like a 'proper' JRPG again. All good JRPG's have airships. Fact. :P

• Options
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

I will definitely buy this and play now. Just a matter of which platform discounts it best.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    So I've been playing this on PC only just now with the difficulty patch. At release I wasn't in the mood for a non-challenging JRPG -- so I didn't bite.

Having no prior experience with Ni No Kuni II prior to the difficulty patch -- I found Expert a bit tought but not impossible in Chapter 1. But by the time I could free roam the over wolrd in Chapter 2 and earn a bit of equipment, it became easy.

And that's fine, I suppose. I can only imagine how bad it was outside of Expert.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I still have to finish this - my party wiped just as the final boss was down to 10% health, and that was two weeks ago. :(
    Time-dilation spell, plz-k-thx!

Freebie DLC in August! :

*Adventure Pack (free) – The Adventure Pack provides new challenges for experienced players. It adds additional floors to the Faraway Forest cave, upon clearing, players will be rewarded with new costumes for Evan and other characters. Players will have the opportunity to challenge themselves with even stronger new bosses: Blackhart and Zeta. Additional quests will be unlocked after completing the story and unique rewards can be acquired.

*Season Pass DLC #1 – Available this winter, this DLC will feature a brand new enigmatic dungeon for players to explore. Evan and friends will plumb the depths of this cryptic dungeon facing increasingly stronger enemies while trying to reach its deepest levels. The journey will be difficult, but the reward will surely be worth it!

*Season Pass DLC #2 – Expected to release early 2019, an additional story expansion of Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom will be available full of exciting content. More details to be announced soon.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    diemeatbagdiemeatbag Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Cool! It's all digital painting though.

• Options
    Adventure Pack and patch v2.0 is out now:

vEK0tj8.jpg
    Recommended level for 'Blackhart' boss is 99+. Highest level character in my party is... Bracken, at level 58... Hmmm.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    it's on sale on steam.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I can't bring myself to grind the final boss for xp. Levels are too slow fighting in the Forgotten Forest.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    The DLC has a quest to find/make four specific Higgledys and I'm betting they're going to be ones I don't know where to find the mats for (like Dark/Black Prisms, IDK if those are even in the game).
    They do give you a new Higgledy-stone finder skill though, that you can research back at your kingdom. Points out all the uncollected stones on your map.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    I never got to play the first game so I'm happy to see it's being ported to PS4 (and Switch/PC also).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPrmpGT_u4A

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Having played both, I'd still rate the first as the better of the two games.

• Options
    The second game played much better. The combo of menu-based and action combat was...rough. I wonder if they're tweaking it at all. Doesn't sound like it. First game had absolutely stellar graphics, music, and voice performances though.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Studio Ghibli helped the first game a lot.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I never played the first game but it would be difficult to be worse than the second one. Even if the gameplay is alright (and if the added dlc makes it harder for people who want that) the story is just. the. worst.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GMQmBFwcvM

Out now on Steam, Switch, and PS4. I bought the PS4 version. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Man, the spell book in Ni No Kuni 1 is just the best. So much detail and the art is gorgeous, which is no surprise given how the entire game looks.
    I didn't get far last night because I was just reading through the spell book =p.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Man, the spell book in Ni No Kuni 1 is just the best. So much detail and the art is gorgeous, which is no surprise given how the entire game looks.
    I didn't get far last night because I was just reading through the spell book =p.

I think when the CE came out for the initial PS3 launch it had a book of all the familiars that was just amazing, not sure if this is what you're referring to. I had a PDF of it at some point, wish I could find it.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options

I think when the CE came out for the initial PS3 launch it had a book of all the familiars that was just amazing, not sure if this is what you're referring to. I had a PDF of it at some point, wish I could find it.

I'm referring to the in-game book, but man...I do love a nice art book. That is about the only thing that will get me to buy a CE and a real life version of this spell book, even if it was just the minion section, would have been excellent.

• Options
    edited September 2019

I'm referring to the in-game book, but man...I do love a nice art book. That is about the only thing that will get me to buy a CE and a real life version of this spell book, even if it was just the minion section, would have been excellent.

Yeah I think this was just a physical copy of what was built into the PS3 version (and presumably the port/remaster).

https://ninokuni.fandom.com/wiki/Wizard's_Companion

Edit: Found it! https://www.reddit.com/r/Ni_no_Kuni/comments/182lz7/pdf_of_wizards_companion_with_bookmarks_for_easy/

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    Awesome, this will give me something to read at lunch =). Thanks!

• Options
    Playing the beginning of NNK again, I forgot just how charming it is from the start. The game has its issues with party AI, but Oliver is immediately likeable in a way that I just feel like Evan never is in NNK2.

In hindsight, NNK2 feels like a game made by people who watched a let’s play of the original and didn’t really understand what did and didn’t work about it. I really wish the sequel had come sooner and had just built upon the systems that were already there.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Wowsers, going from 2's combat system to this is weird. I feel like the familiars/'pokemon' should have their own health bars, and the game seems even stingier with mana potions (iced coffee, a game after my own heart).
    Running out of mana on that flaming torch puzzle in the sewers suuuuucked. I had to grind and level up to get my mana back.

The jump button is locked behind getting a bunch of merit stamps from side-quests... Whaaaaat!?

Really enjoying it but I feel like I would have gotten more out of it by not playing the series in the wrong order, had I ever owned a PS3.
    Onward, to this probably very stereotypical desert city/kingdom!

Zilla360 on
  • Options
  • Options
    Why is the title written like Nino Kuni?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Why is the title written like Nino Kuni?
    I have no idea why. A stylistic choice, perhaps?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    In most places ive seen Ni no Kuni its written like that. Small second n.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If you wanted to play the conspiracy card, I'd bet that "Ni no Kuni" sounds just a touch too japanese and foreign, while "Nino Kuni" is more... I don't know exactly how to describe it. Ethnically neutral? Exotic, but not too exotic? Like I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was a dumb focus test out there showing that too japanese a name results in less general interest.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Very late update: I finally managed to watch it and it's fucking great! All of the wonderful music from the games is in there, and it's used very well. :) 8-)

Plot wise it's full of the most tropey-ist tropes that you get from pretty much all of anime. It could have been the plot, (I think), of a hypothetical third game in the series in it's overall structure/writing.

Original Japanese audio is much better, the English dub seemed like the script was very much dumbed down for western audiences, using much simpler synonyms in a majority of parts of the script.
    Subbbing is also terrible, I've seen much better work from 'amateur' subbing groups, who have a much better grasp of the nuances of the original Japanese script.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Well worth watching it if you haven't already, but then I am also a fan of the 'Tales' series's anime adaptations, too. :)

• Options
    So I spent about 15-20 hours with Ni No Kuni 2 at release on PS4 before eventually falling off in favor of ostensibly better games (e.g. Persona 5). Recently picked it up on a Steam sale and I think I'm actually closing in on the end of the game! The combat is still super enjoyable, it's a beautiful game, the music is enjoyable (if a little repetitive).

But some of the UI stuff is just, what the fuck? Like hey, I can sort by like 8 different weapon parameters but not charge? Why can't I sort quests by type, or by level? Why can't I sort villagers by whether they're currently assigned or not? There are just so many other options in those menus that it breaks my brain a little that some of the most obvious options were just never implemented.