As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] Lovitz or Leave It

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Ok I take it back it probably won't be Control.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Control seems like a good bet at this point. Only Apex Legends on that second list is this year, right?

Has anyone at GB not raved about Control?

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Control seems like a good bet at this point. Only Apex Legends on that second list is this year, right?

Has anyone at GB not raved about Control?

I’m still 2-3 weeks behind on the Beastcast, but Abby hasn’t been too hot on it. Seems like she likes it, but not to the high level/extent the others do.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Time to see if Soma the horror game has any chance of being as amazing as Soma the Smashing Pumpkins song.

NNID: Rehab0
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    From what I’ve watched, the combat in Control seems to be its Achilles heel. Style, graphics, and characters are categories that it will probably do well in or at the very least, discussed.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Control has bad checkpoints and the boss fights aren't terribly well regarded. As you said, it's more of a style and thematic thing that put it over the top.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I don't really keep up with Giant Bomb stuff anymore, mainly watch/listen to their game of the year content. Did nobody play or care about Devil May Cry 5? It's my Goty and it's not even close. Might be my game of the generation.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I don't really keep up with Giant Bomb stuff anymore, mainly watch/listen to their game of the year content. Did nobody play or care about Devil May Cry 5? It's my Goty and it's not even close. Might be my game of the generation.

Dan and Jason enjoyed the gameplay, mostly. I don't think Dan liked V at all (understandable).

My gotg? Surely Bloodborne. FF14 started on PS3 so it can't be that.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Jeff likes Control more than Max Payne, there's no universe in which it doesn't get discussed in Top Ten

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I remember being shocked that was listing Control as one of his top games of the decade, since it had only just come out.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    He's always been a fan of good environmental world building, so I can see how Control would appeal to him for that. Like, the year Wolfenstein 2 came out, that was one of his biggest pushes for that game for GOTY. All of the cool world building in the codexs and newspapers and whatnot throughout the levels, reading how the Nazi America came to be.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Yeah, I see a lot of parallels between Control and Wolfenstein II, in that they're both games that have gameplay issues, but the story and style make it worth playin. I just don't think Control hits the "We need to make a whole category for this game" level that Wolf II did.

I wonder if Youngblood will make most disappointing.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Yeah, I see a lot of parallels between Control and Wolfenstein II, in that they're both games that have gameplay issues, but the story and style make it worth playin. I just don't think Control hits the "We need to make a whole category for this game" level that Wolf II did.

I wonder if Youngblood will make most disappointing.

I could see a “Best Altered Item Description”

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Youngblood was obviously just the developers testing the gameplay waters using a spinoff style sequel. I think it's still a very fun game for its moment-to-moment gameplay (and the ability to revive your pardner means less restarts and frustrating loading screens).

It's obviously not going to be the complete package for many people and the bad checkpointing overall means frustration still abounds, but I don't think people should have been expecting a full-blooded (lol) Wolfenstein package

There was a lot of talk (from Brad, mostly) about being excited to see where the story goes and what crazy stuff they put into the cutscenes, but the game turned out to be VERY short on cutscenes and it takes a slog of a gameplay to get to most of them.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm glad it's Ben playing this Spongebob game, because when he brainfarts on something due to playing and talking he'll stop and reread the instructions again to confirm what he has to do.
    Whereas with Brad he would just run in a circle on auto, start backtracking where he came from and eventually give up because he "doesn't know what to do".

Dan is definitely right about the artstyle of John Wick Hex sucking.

The replay at the end of the levels look ridiculous too. Its just weird to be looking at this thing with John Wick in the title and its not completely awesome at all times.

Feels like John Wick Hex would have benefited from more time and money to get the level playback to better mimic the fluidity of action from the source material.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yes im glad i stuck through the full QL of Hex because initially i was thinking "this is just Dan being Dan" but he was absolutely right.

steam_sig.png
    I think the actual core concept of it being a stop-start tactics game is actually super fucking rad and makes a ton of sense ala. a SUPERHOT style game that then replays everything in continuous realtime, but the execution and balance seems wonky and why couldn't they have just used a square grid instead of a hex one

GONG-00 wrote: »
    The games industry is sure doing its damnedest to make the Hottest Mess category extremely competitive this year.

Commit to quality indeed. Tonight's "Blizzard Polish" is Brack going all in to unknowingly win the category.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I think the actual core concept of it being a stop-start tactics game is actually super fucking rad and makes a ton of sense ala. a SUPERHOT style game that then replays everything in continuous realtime, but the execution and balance seems wonky and why couldn't they have just used a square grid instead of a hex one

Because John Wick Square doesn't sound as cool.

Also where is the John Wick Horse Adventures game?

MichaelLC on
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Also where is the John Wick Horse Adventures game?

You must have missed the trailer for it.

https://youtu.be/mkINzOfLc_8

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Business Dave's Top 10 is comedy death.

Aistan wrote: »
    Business Dave's Top 10 is comedy death.

At the very least, it needs to be cut down to a top 5 or take place while they play something.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Business Dave's Top 10 is when I always fall asleep during the stream and wake up just as the while thing is ending or hours after.

Days late edit: to be fair I almost always tend to doze off about a little over an hour into any Unpro Friday show, and that's unfortunately when Dave often does his thing. Still, whenever Dave goes into sportsball mode with the top 10 I immediately tune out. Most of the time it is pretty funny and Dave's a great addition to the group dynamics.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I love Business Dave and his top 10.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I still think his SSB Lives are called Stock thing was the best.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Any joke where we get a Brad wheeze is a certified excellent joke

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Shoots switch which opens the way down. Jumps over the hole, melees the wall and destroys it to reveal a closed off room full of goodies.
    <Brad> "Which is the way forward and which is the secret?"

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I think I found the Florida version of Dan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TWvXwgKr0

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Also, from this weeks UPF:
    Ben: "I had open heart surgery, and my house burnt down, and it was still less traumatic than Burgertime Party!" :rotate:
    Jeff: "Well there's your review right there!" :lol:

Glad Business Dave finally got his suit back, although now I'm confused as to whether it was ever actually stolen in the first place, or an elaborate ruse... (I wasn't really paying that much attention during that bit). :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Also, from this weeks UPF:
    Ben: "I had open heart surgery, and my house burnt down, and it was still less traumatic than Burgertime Party!" :rotate:
    Jeff: "Well there's your review right there!" :lol:

Glad Business Dave finally got his suit back, although now I'm confused as to whether it was ever actually stolen in the first place, or an elaborate ruse... (I wasn't really paying that much attention during that bit). :)

It was probably a bit based on a wrestling thing that was probably a bit.

steam_sig.png
    Brad does a pretty amazing job when asked by Ben to give some filler banter in the Crossniq+ Quick Look.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Business Dave Top 10 is the best thing going on Giant Bomb these days.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I don't know if I can rate it higher than Zodiac Motherfucker or BAKOON.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Catching up with VinnyVania. Boy, game seems like kind of a slog, especially with the boss fights. I don't remember Symphony fights being quite so long.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

It's up there, but I think Ranking of Fighters is probably my favorite thing they put out.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.