As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Battlefront II SP Sucked (but Gavankar was great): A Retrospective

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Sort of off topic (like that's an issue), but my Samsung QLED is my first HD television that doesn't have component inputs, and I honestly miss those. Plugging in old hardware just got significantly harder.

And don't tell me "Sure, but think of all the space HDMI saves!" The TV is freaking 65" across, it has more than enough space for component inputs.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I was actually surprised my Sony 4KTV had an actual component input (that looks like it also accepts composite), as my old(er) Samsung HDTV required an adapter for component. I assumed component was dead. Though now that I'm thinking about it, you've got new itching to hook up my old oXbox.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    HDMI-CEC is still kind of divisive, as discussed in the television thread.

Still, it would be nice to have the option.

I know everyone seems to have their own implementation and getting them to work together can be an exciting time. It has just been a really nice feature for me since the default AppleTV remote is...awful, and trying to use media apps on a console with controllers that are going to sleep every few minutes is also awful, so I like being able to use my TV remote for those, and having devices that can turn the TV on and change the input appropriately is nice too.

Also I have my gaming TV tucked away in the back room, and there's also an exercise bike in the back room that is facing a small TV, and that TV happens to be of the same brand as the TV hooked up to the Xbox, so turning on the Xbox turns on both TVs if I have the IR blaster enabled. I realize this is like the most edgy of edge cases.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    HDMI-CEC is still kind of divisive, as discussed in the television thread.

Still, it would be nice to have the option.

I know everyone seems to have their own implementation and getting them to work together can be an exciting time. It has just been a really nice feature for me since the default AppleTV remote is...awful, and trying to use media apps on a console with controllers that are going to sleep every few minutes is also awful, so I like being able to use my TV remote for those, and having devices that can turn the TV on and change the input appropriately is nice too.

Also I have my gaming TV tucked away in the back room, and there's also an exercise bike in the back room that is facing a small TV, and that TV happens to be of the same brand as the TV hooked up to the Xbox, so turning on the Xbox turns on both TVs if I have the IR blaster enabled. I realize this is like the most edgy of edge cases.

That's why I invested in a media remote for my Xbox One. I had a launch 360 that had a media remote thrown in as a launch bonus, and used that thing all the time - all my Xboxes have also always been my primary media devices over the years and a media remote is an incredibly handy accessory to have.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm trying to connect my Xbone X to 2 different TV's to change between on the fly, one TV is 4K with HDR and the other is not. (One is my main TV and the other is stuck to my exercise bike)

I guess I could use a HDMI splitter and some long cords but do the Xbox reset the HDR and 4K stuff to default with a TV that cant support that or do I have to turn it off and on everytime?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Ooh, Google Assistant/Smart Speaker support is coming (not just Alexa and Cortana anymore):
    https://majornelson.com/2019/09/26/expanding-xbox-voice-capabilities-with-google-assistant/
    Update: I got this working but the commands only seem to work about three quarters of the time.
    Very hit and miss. Definitely still in beta, early days, etcetera.
    Trying to change TV channels with it just results in the GA not having a clue what to do, for example. (Probably the case that that command was implemented with only the USA in mind.)

• Options
    Speaking of remotes, I still use a Logitech Harmony remote. It easily controls the Xbox One and all my AV components and makes it all super easy. They're really customizable too. Best universal remote I've ever used. Can I sound any more like an ad?

• Options
    I've thought about buying a Harmony remote for years, though the need for them has diminished somewhat, also I was too cheap to buy a proper one.

My Samsung Q6FN (which despite having spent months trying to fix its power cycling issues with Geek Squad, I love dearly) comes with a very basic Samsung directional remote that is fully fully compatible with Xbox One. Why my Media Remote is still technically superior, 90% of my non-game-playing uses of the console (which is a lot, considering it's my primary media device) can be done with the same remote that controls my sound bar and my TV itself.

Also it has Bixby, but I can't even be bothered you to use Google Voice.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I'm trying to connect my Xbone X to 2 different TV's to change between on the fly, one TV is 4K with HDR and the other is not. (One is my main TV and the other is stuck to my exercise bike)

I guess I could use a HDMI splitter and some long cords but do the Xbox reset the HDR and 4K stuff to default with a TV that cant support that or do I have to turn it off and on everytime?

the xbox would likely flip out/switch over once it detects it's no longer able to do HDR on the new device when going from HDR to non, and from non to HDR a similar thing would happen when it realizes that the device it's outputting to can*. You shouldn't need to change the settings to do it. Same as if you project to a monitor from your PC when using a resolution or configuration that the device can't support.

edit: *this would only happen if the content you are playing/viewing can do HDR. The home page and the like don't go into HDR mode immediately, from my experience. Instead if you view content with HDR once it detects it then the screen blips as it transitions into HDR output.

edit2: I would imagine if the output is being split and shown on both TVs at once, it won't bother with HDR, or it will use HDR and the non HDR device may display, but not in HDR. Though this depends on the splitter you buy. Some

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that Microsoft won't support both CEC and HDMI Input on the Xbox Two: they'll support one or the other or neither, but not both.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Interesting news over in the PS5 announcement thread. Not so much the release date (holiday 2020), that was pretty much a given, but the news about the controllers having haptic feedback and dev-adjustable tensile strenth in the L2/R2 triggers. (Also, some devs already have their hands on the controllers, apparently.)

It's got me thinking what sorts of things MS is going to do with the Scarlett controller. I would hope improved haptics is something they're doing too, less bothered about the adaptive triggers.

After all, the Xbox One controller, great as it is (IMO), is very much a refinement of the 360 controller that does very little new - impulse triggers initially, which I like a lot but are hardly a paradigm-shifter, and it took hardware revisions to add a 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth support.

On the other side of the console war, the big additions Sony made to the PS4 controller (the touchpad and the speaker) barely register for me. I'll switch that speaker off if I can in game options, and the touchpad is basically a couple more buttons - then again, my PS4 library is small.

But anyway, yeah, I do wonder how the controllers will turn out.

Xbox One controller is my favorite this generation, and I hope they might be forward-compatible. It is essentially just a refined 360 controller, but those refinements-- the new Dpad and a shape that feels made for my hands-- are great, in my opinion.

Microsoft has said Project Scarlett will support current Xbox controllers and peripherals. As the article suggests, attention was on this with the Elite Series 2 announcement to assuage fears that the sort of people who bought the new Elite controllers would also be the same people likely to grab the new console at launch or early.

Of course, things could change. Compared to Sony, Microsoft has generally been reluctant to remove functionality within a console generation--this is why system link still works in BC--but there are exceptions, like needing a bridging device to use Kinect on anything but the original Xbox One (though that was leading up to the discontinuation of the Kinect). Who knows if down the line you might have to buy some sort of special receiver. But you can still use them, which is a good thing, considering the high premium Microsoft has charged for Lab-designed and limited run controllers (and how popular those things have managed to be).

Good to hear; I have one of the Lab designed ones, and I'd like to keep using it.

Speaking of 360s and transfers, I still need to get one of the later models after my second OG 360 red ringed, then get something to move the data tothe newer model of hard drive...

Unless Scarlett comes out first, and features backwards compatibility that can actually suit all my needs.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Interesting news over in the PS5 announcement thread. Not so much the release date (holiday 2020), that was pretty much a given, but the news about the controllers having haptic feedback and dev-adjustable tensile strenth in the L2/R2 triggers. (Also, some devs already have their hands on the controllers, apparently.)

It's got me thinking what sorts of things MS is going to do with the Scarlett controller. I would hope improved haptics is something they're doing too, less bothered about the adaptive triggers.

After all, the Xbox One controller, great as it is (IMO), is very much a refinement of the 360 controller that does very little new - impulse triggers initially, which I like a lot but are hardly a paradigm-shifter, and it took hardware revisions to add a 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth support.

On the other side of the console war, the big additions Sony made to the PS4 controller (the touchpad and the speaker) barely register for me. I'll switch that speaker off if I can in game options, and the touchpad is basically a couple more buttons - then again, my PS4 library is small.

But anyway, yeah, I do wonder how the controllers will turn out.

Xbox One controller is my favorite this generation, and I hope they might be forward-compatible. It is essentially just a refined 360 controller, but those refinements-- the new Dpad and a shape that feels made for my hands-- are great, in my opinion.

Microsoft has said Project Scarlett will support current Xbox controllers and peripherals. As the article suggests, attention was on this with the Elite Series 2 announcement to assuage fears that the sort of people who bought the new Elite controllers would also be the same people likely to grab the new console at launch or early.

Of course, things could change. Compared to Sony, Microsoft has generally been reluctant to remove functionality within a console generation--this is why system link still works in BC--but there are exceptions, like needing a bridging device to use Kinect on anything but the original Xbox One (though that was leading up to the discontinuation of the Kinect). Who knows if down the line you might have to buy some sort of special receiver. But you can still use them, which is a good thing, considering the high premium Microsoft has charged for Lab-designed and limited run controllers (and how popular those things have managed to be).

Good to hear; I have one of the Lab designed ones, and I'd like to keep using it.

Speaking of 360s and transfers, I still need to get one of the later models after my second OG 360 red ringed, then get something to move the data tothe newer model of hard drive...

Unless Scarlett comes out first, and features backwards compatibility that can actually suit all my needs.

My launch Xbox 360 S still works. I've thought about getting an Xbox 360 E to replace it, but aside from the cost, they're hard to get new.

• Options
    Are E's considered better?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Not that I know of; that'd be news to me.

The E dropped the AV port (so HDMI only) and the optical audio port, if those are a consideration.

I'd stick with the S.

• Options
    edited October 2019

They're not. Pretty much all Xbox 360 revisions have the same performance, size, reliability, and IO aside. They are, however, smaller--and wouldn't be as old (especially if you bought unused stock).

But the removals, as noted above, aren't particularly unusual--at least, if you're used to buying Sony's later hardware revisions. I'm pretty sure optical out was also dropped from the the final Playstation 3 model, if anyone can say for certain. So for some it wouldn't be an issue (as I said, my Xbox 360 isn't plugged into a TV with component inputs).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    They're all decent (excepting launch models, I guess lol). I own an E, they're small and pretty slick consoles (not the most striking visually compared to the others but the visual cues identical to the original Xbox One is actually really elegant)

The lack of component may be an obvious turnoff

• Options
    I just realized--probably some days later--that my Xbox UI rolled back to the "tabs and pages" model instead of the button model I mentioned in this thread a couple weeks ago.

I guess that's part of being on the Insider Ring.

• Options
    So, this seems like a noteworthy thing to share as we prepare to move on to new thread--You know that Layden guy who left as head of Sony Worldwide Studios recently? Yeah, me neither, but these things happen, usually quietly. I also didn't know that he was the big proponent of Cross-Play at Sony's higher leadership, versus Jim Ryan who apparently was not. Eventually Layden got his way, which is good for everyone in the long term (Xbox included), but that decision might've been one of Layden's last big ones. Interesting stuff, I suppose.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    So, this seems like a noteworthy thing to share as we prepare to move on to new thread--You know that Layden guy who left as head of Sony Worldwide Studios recently? Yeah, me neither, but these things happen, usually quietly. I also didn't know that he was the big proponent of Cross-Play at Sony's higher leadership, versus Jim Ryan who apparently was not. Eventually Layden got his way, which is good for everyone in the long term (Xbox included), but that decision might've been one of Layden's last big ones. Interesting stuff, I suppose.

Hope this doesn't impede the progress made so far

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't that announcement come out of Sony re: crossplay, and then a bunch of devs went "That's the first we've heard of it, we got stonewalled every time we asked."

• Options
    Didn't that announcement come out of Sony re: crossplay, and then a bunch of devs went "That's the first we've heard of it, we got stonewalled every time we asked."

Yeah, at least superficially, it looked rather divisive within Sony itself, and Layden's rather inglorious exit supports that theory. Apparently, Ryan was anti-cross play but pro-PS Now/streaming gaming, so maybe we'll actually see Sony remind people PS Now is a thing.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

Yeah, at least superficially, it looked rather divisive within Sony itself, and Layden's rather inglorious exit supports that theory. Apparently, Ryan was anti-cross play but pro-PS Now/streaming gaming, so maybe we'll actually see Sony remind people PS Now is a thing.

I was wondering why they just recently put out a new set of commercials for PSNow, this explains that nicely.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Well, they recently put out The functionality that allows developers to put cross-play in their games - so anyone can do it now.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-02-ps4s-cross-play-reportedly-out-of-beta-now-available-to-all-developers

Unless they backpedal on this, it's all in developers hands now.

• Options
    Ryan was also responsible for such gems as "Who would want to play these old games?" "It's no longer hot to talk about indie games, let's talk about VR instead" and of course "We need to protect children from crossplay."

Next gen is going to be interesting.

• Options
    Ryan was also responsible for such gems as "Who would want to play these old games?" "It's no longer hot to talk about indie games, let's talk about VR instead" and of course "We need to protect children from crossplay."

Next gen is going to be interesting.

"Let's talk about PSVR again. Introducing: the Playstation 4 Move Controllers for the PS5!"

• Options
    Hey, remember when Tim Longo, creative director for Halo Infinite, left the company in August? His replacement, Mary Olson, has apparently also left. (Her linkedin page now says he's Head Of Production at Midwinter Entertainment, an indie studio)

• Options

They're not. Pretty much all Xbox 360 revisions have the same performance, size, reliability, and IO aside. They are, however, smaller--and wouldn't be as old (especially if you bought unused stock).

But the removals, as noted above, aren't particularly unusual--at least, if you're used to buying Sony's later hardware revisions. I'm pretty sure optical out was also dropped from the the final Playstation 3 model, if anyone can say for certain. So for some it wouldn't be an issue (as I said, my Xbox 360 isn't plugged into a TV with component inputs).
    They're all decent (excepting launch models, I guess lol). I own an E, they're small and pretty slick consoles (not the most striking visually compared to the others but the visual cues identical to the original Xbox One is actually really elegant)

I just realized--probably some days later--that my Xbox UI rolled back to the "tabs and pages" model instead of the button model I mentioned in this thread a couple weeks ago.

Sounds like I'll take what I can get -- but not an original model again, of course. The S and E are more reliable and shouldn't RROD on me, right?

(Actually, I think I recall them making the newer ones literally incapable of flashing the RROD, but I hope there's no equivalent they're covering up.)

• Options
    Hey, remember when Tim Longo, creative director for Halo Infinite, left the company in August? His replacement, Mary Olson, has apparently also left. (Her linkedin page now says he's Head Of Production at Midwinter Entertainment, an indie studio)

Outlook... Not so good

• Options
    I'm not entirely sure why people were having high hopes for Infinite in the first place. I feel like I constantly heard people complaining about Halo taking a dive after Bungie left. And people seemed way more hyped about playing Halo MCC collection for multi instead of Halo 5.

• Options
    I'm just one person, there's plenty of folks who enjoy modern Halo... But personally it ain't my cup of tea. There's fan games like Splitgate that have a more classic Halo feel, and that's the dragon a lot of Halo fans are chasing

• Options
    edited October 2019

Tim Longo was reassigned out of the position, and then left.

Midwinter Entertainment isn't just an "indie studio," it's Josh Holmes' studio, and it has other former 343 people there, and was recently acquired by Improbable, who make development tools and are the owners of SpatialOS, a cloud-platform.

Simply put, it's more likely than anything she got poached by her friend/former boss who just got a surge of money from an acquisition to work on a new-not Halo shooter game, Scavengers, which has had little to no noise made about it.

edit: fixed link

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Sounds like I'll take what I can get -- but not an original model again, of course. The S and E are more reliable and shouldn't RROD on me, right?

(Actually, I think I recall them making the newer ones literally incapable of flashing the RROD, but I hope there's no equivalent they're covering up.)

Yeah, they both seem pretty reliable, at least as much as any other console with moving parts. I have two S machines that I've had since 2011 (one US and one UK) and they're both trucking along fine, although they only see very occasional use these days - the US one is all but retired.

Jazz on
  • Options

You're worried about failures in general. Even before the release of the S model, the later year consoles were much less likely to "red-ring-of-death". But they're also old. My advice would be to get the nest console you can obtain easily, preferably unsold stock, which is an advantage for the E model.

But you'll still need to worry about things like bad optical drives, fans wearing out their bearings, etc.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wonder how many people are even aware that Halo Infinite is also coming to the XB1/X. It's cross-gen, not just a next-gen launch title, as most think/perceive it to be.
    They posted the XB1 box art on https://news.xbox.com/ during this year's E3.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I mean E3 2019's darling and Creative Director Ikumi Nakamura left Tango/Bethesda like, 3 months after announcing Ghostwire Tokyo

So fuck knows, maybe Creative Directors are more transient than we think

• Options

You're worried about failures in general. Even before the release of the S model, the later year consoles were much less likely to "red-ring-of-death". But they're also old. My advice would be to get the nest console you can obtain easily, preferably unsold stock, which is an advantage for the E model.

But you'll still need to worry about things like bad optical drives, fans wearing out their bearings, etc.

I do realize that regular wear and tear is an issue, but after two OGs Red Ringed on me, I want something that will hopefully stand up to some relatively light use. I have games I want to play on it, but at the same time, the lion's share of my focus is on newer platforms.

(And crossing fingers that the next Xbox is able to pick up and continue backwards compatibility from where the One left off.)

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are even aware that Halo Infinite is also coming to the XB1/X. It's cross-gen, not just a next-gen launch title, as most think/perceive it to be.
    They posted the XB1 box art on https://news.xbox.com/ during this year's E3.

I think most people are--it was announced with Xbox One branding. If anything, I suspect people will be mildly surprised to hear it is coming to the next Xbox as well. Remember, in this thread (and in this community as whole), we're much more aware of upcoming console launches than the wider audience.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Also, commentary from people not on armchairs re the halo thing:
    Hey all – I wanted to jump in and clarify what Tim & Mary’s roles were at the studio, because there seems to be quite a bit of confusion here. Before that happens though, I’d like to reassure everyone that the entire Halo Infinite team is rallying behind the game and is working hard to make sure we can execute on its vision.

Tim’s role as Creative Director was to help make creative decisions around the design and direction of the game – whether it was campaign, multiplayer, etc. Mary’s role as an Executive Producer and then Lead Producer on Campaign was to help drive the game to its completion for our holiday 2020 release date – with the latter specifically focusing on campaign deliverables.

Unfortunately the thread’s title saying, “He was replace with Mary Olson and she also left,” is far from accurate. It implies that Mary took over creative control of the entire game, didn’t like what she saw, and then decided to leave. If that’s what actually happened, I could totally understand getting worried – but that isn’t the case, as she was a Lead Producer and not a new Creative Director.

Producers at our studio support designers, engineers, artists, etc. by helping each of them track and hit deliverables. They also ensure the people they support are not overwhelmed with too much work and have all the tools and information needed to hit their deadlines. To put it simply, producers are the ones tasked with making sure the studio is always moving forward – even our Community Team has a producer to ensure we’re tracking our deliverables; blogs, social media posts, flighting emails, and whatever pops up in between.

Since Tim and Mary were friends of mine, I’m sad that I don’t get to see them as often, but I’m happy to see both of them doing well. Mary joining Josh Holmes at Midwinter is nothing short of exciting news for me, because I’m eager to give Scavengers another go soon (I played it at E3 and thoroughly enjoyed it). And, funny enough, I actually just bumped into Tim the other night at the theater for opening night of the Joker :)

TL;DR: Title is super misleading, there is no creative dilemma inside the studio, and there’s no writing on the walls.

Apologies for the long writeup, but I hope it helps clarify!

Reddit/Unyshek, 343 guy

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    That's nice of them to share. I've enjoyed all of 343i's Halo games so far, but it's good to address concerns in the community.

Also, damn do I wish there was a Halo Outpost event here in Atlanta.

0zcadz7w8e51.jpg

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Is anyone else experiencing an issue where your console says there was a problem with an update error message, which then loops into an infinite load screen?

My Xbox One and my Xbox live were fine this morning. Now its basically a paperweight.

This discussion has been closed.