As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Router table surface smoothing

WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
I recently purchased a Bosch RA1181 router table which has an aluminum top. It's a little rough and grabbing the wood. Has anyone had any luck sanding something like this before? If so, what grit? Wet or dry? Power or hand? etc. Thanks!

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Windburn wrote: »
    I recently purchased a Bosch RA1181 router table which has an aluminum top. It's a little rough and grabbing the wood. Has anyone had any luck sanding something like this before? If so, what grit? Wet or dry? Power or hand? etc. Thanks!

I don't really think you would sand metal?

You're probably going to want to do
    something like using a double ought steel wall and then going down to 0000 steel wool and then finishing with polishing compound

You should be able to buy a buffing
    pad for like a little handheld orbital

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Paste wax should take care of it

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    A flap disk on a cheap angle grinder will do it quick and cheap, basically a hard layered sandpaper disk meant for deburring or descaling metal. Cheap ones are usually aluminum oxide but better ones are silicon carbide or zircon.

• WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    Thank you for the help and advice. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Thought some of you might like to see the before and after images.
    I used a combination rotary and ROB sander with progressively finer grit (50 to 1200), followed by polishing with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish, and finally paste wax.

Before
    m1hmkkais6x8.jpg
    1mv8e3a858d6.jpg
    iy20dsa0si3o.jpg
    gf4mpqbmhpfk.jpg

After
    1cdfoy6ck3jl.jpg
    d8p93j220h7z.jpg
    woltf6aelua1.jpg

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Awesome, that gave a way better result than my suggestion would have.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that is just beautiful

• WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    Thanks!
    :)